Official Bitching Thread

II OE II

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what it is about this game.. I wanted to love it.. It seemed just the thing I'd like even though I never played the original.. I loved it at first but the underwater level really started to wear on me and seemed to have little to do with the actual story.. The Asian level? Same deal, little to do with the story.. There really wasn't anything in the way of boss fights until the end. the collectibles wore on my nerves (I hate collectibles).. The levels went on and on for hours with just a 10 point achievement at the end. My favorite parts of the game were set in London but there wasn't really anything to do in them then I came to the part with Alice in a straitjacket and a shaved head and it lost me.. I was excited that the original game came with it but after getting the achievement for the first level and trying the lever puzzle on level 2 and dying over and over I gave up on it. Damn.

My main complaint, really, is that so many people in this forum are misspelling the name of one of the bosses in Alice. It is Jabberwock! It's not Jabberwocky, or Jabberwack, or Jabber the Hut... or any of these other retarded misspellings. Seriously... get some glasses or don't add a "y" to everything - what are you... 10 years old? I want my bally... geez!

Okay... the first game was good enough - irritating at times, but EVERY game has something wrong with it - right?! That said... if you play the sequel first [Madness Returns], and then play Alice... you WILL be disappointed!

Since "Alice" was the first game, I played it first. It looks a lot better than it did on the PC. I'm now playing "Madness Returns," and I'm really enjoying the game. However... I wanted to take a look at something in the original game, so I loaded-up one of my game saves in it... and, man... it is terrible by comparison (to the sequel)!

I understand Alice is an old game (I have the original PC version, too), but even with the improved graphics... the new game plays a LOT better!! Just "try" and forget that you can't double-jump (or more), nor can you "float" across gaps! You get spoiled by what you can do in the sequel!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been gaming for 20 years and this is still one of the worst games I have ever played. Went back to it to finish up the collectible achievements. I had forgotten how mind-numbingly boring and tedious it is. Horrible, just plain horrible. Maybe I'll try again in another year.

Ahh... Anyone else pissed off that the end cinematic in the original Alice was NOT in HD? I was like WTF!!

Why re-make a game in HD right up until the end scence & switch back to SD... How f'in lazy can they be?!!

(It's not just this game, I'm so f'in sick of seeing games remade in HD - advertised as a HD re-make... only to find parts of the game NOT IN HD! E.g. Resident Evil 4 - 'Seperate Ways mission', Resident Evil: Code Veronica X - The whole f'in game!, Now ALICE!)

• 2 months later...
Can't really think of anything in this game to bitch about except for the original game and the list would be too long to contain in a post of this size. Thanks for listening...

i agree. the old game feels way to dated to even be considered fun. i have a hard time deciding if its acheivments are really worth the agony. did not age well at all.

• 3 months later...
The only thing i can bitch about is the lenght of the game.. i wanted it to be longer :(

I loved it so much that i didn´t want it to end.

I hope to recieve the game today. Think I'm gonna like it as much as you do! :woop:

• 3 weeks later...

American McGee's Alice is fucking awful..

Is what I would of said the past 4 days if you asked me. But today, it all clicked. I even found out you can save (my idiocy but they could of said). I suddenly just "got" it. And now I can finally see why people think this is a great game. Once I'm done with 1000G, I want to come backt o this to beat it on Nightmare. Then possibly try a speedrun or two. Fabulous, not finished it, but fabulous.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i loved the 1st game way back on PC so decided to try this.

well the story and setting were mutilated imo or maybe I was younger and more forgiving back then. What I am left with is countless collectibles. yay ... errr I mean gay. Seriously this game has more collectibles than anything I've ever seen and they are so ever pointless. Also why do I have to break shit to get weapon upgrade materials instead of killing enemies... with combos no damage whatever. do well in combat get more upgrade stuff imo much better formula. Then we have levels that monotonously drag on for what seems like forever. There is only so much jumping and killing the same 4 enemy types I can before getting really bored.

Then there is that on normal the game is way too easy and on nightmare it becomes 1 hit KO from anything. If you are playing on nightmare during first play through the horrid checkpoint system is strongly felt. For example the checkpoint can be before 2-3 minutes of platforming just so I can redo 1 difficult fight over and over again ... on more than one occasion just in the 1st level... Then there are glitches. I quit for a while and then resumed the game just to find out that my nightmare magically became normal screwing me out of achievements. Not a big deal but annoying non the less.

This is the 3rd time I am trying to play this game in 6 months and am just not able to go past first few levels I think I am going to just delete it and forget about it. That or just speed run it.

^ Same. I have to say I don't have much to bitch about concerning Madness Returns. It was honestly thrilling to play and I enjoyed every minute of it, even hunting for collectibles and running through it on nightmare difficulty. All of the achievements were awesome, too. A nice mixture of challenging and simple.

A lot of people have already bitched about the original game, but the one thing to frustrate me most with that one, aside from how clunky the combat was, was the underwater sequences. Oh, boy. :mad: And did it ever piss me off finally managing to master some platforming/puzzle piece that required absolute timing and precision, then being blown off by one of those mouth breathing jerks.

I think the original is a "hate it or love it" type of game and at some parts it was just downright terrible and infuriating, but the last couple of boss battles, the characters, the story and the music really are amazing. Shame about the platforming and combat. I'm glad I finally got it done.

I could not think of anything to say seeing as this is exactly what i think and feel.

Aside from some minor quirks, such as a couple of the levels (steampunk one included) dragging on way too long and the levels getting too "redundant"/uncreative to compensate for its linear gameplay, I still found the game enjoyable, especially in my first playthrough. The Card Castle level for instance was quite mesmerizing at times. I'm probably a little biased since Alice is my favorite fairytale and I love how McGee portrays it far more accurately than Disney. I loved the alternate costumes as well, and how each had its own pros and cons. And I especially loved playing BIG!Alice. X)

Through the words of a friend of mine, however, who has been playing it on the PC, she wasn't so impressed. Apparently the controls on the PC are absurdly frustrating and she was really disappointed in the remastering of Cheshire, her favorite character. She thought he was too deadpan and much of his dialogue was too recycled.