What happened to this game?

DarkReign2021

Seriously, I just got this game expecting Far Cry in Africa. Instead what I get is a generic shooter in a world pretending to be open-ended (like ODST did, but even worse.)

Whats the special niche in this game? The first one you're infected with some kind of concoction that gives you feral abilities like following the enemies smell, super speed, and the deadly lunge attack. This game you suffer from Malaria... Is that supposed to be an improvement?

The first game gave you military humvees, four-wheelers, and hang-gliders. Most of the vehicles I've seen in Far Cry 2 so far have been crappy ass civilian vehicles.

The First game gave you the ability to lay prone, set traps on the trees, crawl on your back beneath the shacks, and put you in a beautiful Island setting. Far Cry 2 you're in a war-stricken wasteland where everything looks like crap and you lost most of the features from the first game.

Plus the missions require you to cross over 2 hours of terrain with nothing fun in-between and navigation just sucks in the game.

Seriously, what did Crytek actually think would make this game better than it's predecessor?

yeah thats what im thinking. this game isnt even a fraction of what the earlier games where. i played the first couple games and had a great time using the powers and military stuff. this game however is horrible! i mean how can you be in the development team and even think that this game even stands beside the others? there is hardly any similarities in the game, it seems like they wanted to start a new "more real" series of games and are using the Farcry name to just get people who played the originals to buy it. i think an appropraite name would be: "Driving endlessly in africa while guys in jeeps chase you"

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I read all the reviews for FC2 and it put me off playing it. I bought the Warchest Limited Edition when it came out for £50, and was gutted it was dubbed as such a terrible game. I decided to endure it this week, and sat down and made a start, one of my friends was pushing to boost the online achievements, which motivated me to play, and I can honestly say I don't understand where you guys are coming from?? I love this game, yes it has it's faults, but I am almost done in the North region now, and am loving it to bits. Sure it's not Far Cry 1, but it is a good effort. Ubisoft did a great job, the only bad things I can find is the Warlord achievement takes the biscuit for biggest grind ever lol.

• 4 weeks later...
I like how the multiplayer is somewhat similar to Call of Duty so anyone can jump in and enjoy but waiting for rooms to fill up kills the mood to play the game any further.

i hate the multilayer in this game the matchmaking is terrible and i also find that it's really not balanced at all the higher rank players are a lot stronger then everyone it just pissed me off. and the story was alright.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This game was B.O.R.I.N.G. Very pretty, nice fire physics, but so incredibly bland. All the extra missions are basically the same boring thing as the story missions. Having to go to a save point each time to save your game (the game prompts you to save after each mission, but I learned, the hard way, it's better to not save your game at those moments) is annoying. The "malaria" gimmick is just that: a gimmick; no real impact on the game at all other than giving you some pointless missions to get more meds. The plethora of bugs and glitches that too numerous to call out were no where near as unforgiving as the bland, boring, gouge-out-my-eyeballs gameplay (this includes the game-breaking bug that corrupts all save files associated with this game after completing 50% of the game if you save at an HQ location). If the game had been a good time, I'd have probably gone back and started it again after the bug was patched. Oh... and what about the enemy checkpoints where the enemies respawn after driving 15 feet away... This is a prime example of why we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
i hate the multilayer in this game the matchmaking is terrible and i also find that it's really not balanced at all the higher rank players are a lot stronger then everyone it just pissed me off. and the story was alright.

Exactly! Even if it has good things in the multiplayer, the players with ranks 20-30 ruined it. I mean, a whole AK-47 clip to kill someone. Really? In this time the other player can kill you two times...

I thought it was amazing. I guess i didnt play it looking at it as An older far cry game.

I knew it was diffrent. I suggest looking into games before you buy them.

I use to buy alot of games without looking into them and would find myself dissapointed. its good to know what your getting and not just buy it because it has a cool front cover and is a sequal to a good game.

The multiplayer was pretty good, not too addicting but i enjoyed it, The map creator was amazing just a shame you cant play your map with random players. As for the single player although them cool ability's would be nice, I think its ok how it is. The stealth is broken but i guess it makes it realistic... And the enemy outposts all over the place with long tavels i guess also sucks, But i still think the game is pretty good... For me its an 8/10... I always seem to enjoy the games other people hate :(

I did most single player acheivements on this one as soon as I got it but I just rushed through it.

After I was done I was ready to throw the whole game out my backdoor cuz all the time wasting traveling on it made me pretty friggin sick of it.

But....

I picked it up later, stuck it on harder difficulty + no aim assist

and then thought back to when I played jagged alliance 1 + 2 and applied jungle warfare tactics to the game.

Made it much more interesting for me to be honest. Actually had to use my brain for once and react faster or die. :)

• 1 month later...
I did most single player acheivements on this one as soon as I got it but I just rushed through it.

After I was done I was ready to throw the whole game out my backdoor cuz all the time wasting traveling on it made me pretty friggin sick of it.

But....

I picked it up later, stuck it on harder difficulty + no aim assist

and then thought back to when I played jagged alliance 1 + 2 and applied jungle warfare tactics to the game.

Made it much more interesting for me to be honest. Actually had to use my brain for once and react faster or die. :)

I would have completed this on hardcore however the cell towers glitched out and my car kept blowing up and some invisible mortar men messed me up a lot of the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...