Worst game ever...

Nutty Scouser

So lemme guess, you're one of those people that got turned off by the controls and didn't even play too far in, yes? As people have stated before, controls are kinda like oldschool RE/Silent Hill-y games, so if you never had to deal with those before back on the PS1, I'm sorry. I just got this game yesterday, and once getting used to the controls, I'm liking how the story is playing out. I feel like I'm playing a Twin Peaks videogame, with some Silent Hill creepy monsters to shoot. And that to me, is awesome. Go find another game to get an easy 1K on since apparently that's all you're looking for if comparing it to King Kong, and that's all I know people use that game for.

And again, you only mention graphics and controls...if you bothered to play it for more than 10 minutes (which obviously you didn't since you don't even have 1 achievement in it), you might have started to like it. Go wave your arms some more at the Kinect instead, and don't complain about this game.

I have to agree with shinobiesteve.. Deadly Premonition has easily become one of my all time favorite games because of the story.. yes the controls are terrible, and things could have been done ALOT better. BUT if you actually give the game a chance past the prologue you may actually find yourself loving the game as I do. Ill admit I almost returned the game within the first hour of playing it, but I got past the prologue played abit more and found myself beating the 40+hour game the very next day. The story is one of the best... so says Mr. Stuart...

Ahhh another inexperienced gamer who clearly is only bothered about "graphics".

Im not being funny but a game isnt just based on "graphics" or "controls"

A game is based on Storylines, Backstory, Graphics, Controls, Characters, Music, World/Level Design, Puzzles, Items, Side Missions, Writing Dialogue, General Enjoyment.

As you can see a game is based on a hell of a lot more than what your pissing on it for.

I agree the graphics a "pre-dated" and the controls are not the best, but if you manage to actually play the game and give it a chance (even further than the first 10 minutes that the Prologue takes) you will see that the rest of the basics noted above are all brilliantly integrated within this game, hence why it has won Game of the Year Awards and is highly rated by a lot of gamers that play games for what they are!

Sorry for the rant but im sick of people complaining about a game when they dont even get the logistics of it or play a game long enough to give it a chance!

What makes your rant complete bollocks is that you havent even put the game into your console as your gamerscore notes that the game has "not been played"

Edited by NightReflection

And the funny thing about it is if you play it more you don't even remember that the game has bad controls to begin with, games are meant for enjoyment yes.. but more of an experience, and I will say if you enjoy a great motivating, emotional story then you need to play the game... however if you are just looking for easy achievements and a game you can pick up that looks pretty and you can beat in an hour or two than there are PLENTY of those out there.. but for an Independent gaming company who made this masterpiece with a small budget, it doesn't even compare with the games these days who DO focus on making a game look pretty rather than forgetting all about an incredible story that drives the game which is Deadly Premonition.... I do rant too about this debate but seriously.. give it another try. I try to share this game with everyone who respects story because it truly is a gem.

And the funny thing about it is if you play it more you don't even remember that the game has bad controls to begin with, games are meant for enjoyment yes.. but more of an experience, and I will say if you enjoy a great motivating, emotional story then you need to play the game... however if you are just looking for easy achievements and a game you can pick up that looks pretty and you can beat in an hour or two than there are PLENTY of those out there.. but for an Independent gaming company who made this masterpiece with a small budget, it doesn't even compare with the games these days who DO focus on making a game look pretty rather than forgetting all about an incredible story that drives the game which is Deadly Premonition.... I do rant too about this debate but seriously.. give it another try. I try to share this game with everyone who respects story because it truly is a gem.

Its true you get sucked into the story line that you forget about the controls, tbh the controls themselves are not that bad, i can understand that the driving is pretty sucky but there are ways around this for example the Police Radio etc.

• 5 weeks later...

See this really bothers me, i am all for slating a game when it deserves it, but blaming controls and graphics i think is wrong. I have deffended this game before, and i will do so again. This game is out there sprawled over the net as being "shit" or "good" depending on those who have played it. Therefore the fact that you obviously knew of these issues you still wnet it bought, and lets face it it was probably a steal, considering its retail price was only £20 when it first came out therefore im reckoning you cna probably get it cheaper than that now.

So yeah the graphics, well i'm sorry but in my opinion graphics don't make a game. Sure HD looks awsome, and yeah some games such as Alan Wake, or GTAIV just look awe inspiring. However Deadly Premonition brings the elements of what makes a good game to the table. The story is well written, with plenty of twists and turns, and the humerous moments that give the gamer a snigger. Yes some of the voice acting is down right terrible, but i feel that the main cast all deliver believable characters.

If you are of the persuasion that graphics make a game, then you are the problem with games today my friend. So many turds are put out on the shelfs for us to buy, and they score high grades because they look pretty etc.... examples of this would be final fantasy XIII, or L.A.Noire - the amount of people who went on about the motion capture thing on L.A.Noire - yeah was ground breaking but that game was tedious and repetitive it had sucked all of the fun out of the sandbox genre in my opinion. Now everyone is open to there opinion, i'm just fed up of people slating this game over the same reasons, graphics and controls.

If you want to slate it, play it first, at least for the first couple of chapters then slate it. I have earned the right to slate FFXIII as i got through that entire game - i still have mop up cheevs to do, but i hate it as it aint a final fantasy game to me, and L.A.Noire i'm bout 60% through, and i enjoyed it at first, but as i say it became tedious and repetive and its graphics and motion capture couldn't save it for me.

Also i'm unsure how old you are, but as someone said earlier PS1 games, i am a gamer through and through, i enjoy classic retro games such as Sonic and Mario, and while the sprites look shit compared to todays graphics i appreciate them for what they are. My all time favourite game is Chrono Trigger, a 16 bit gem, and Deadly Premonition didn't have the budget of some of the bigger games, but the developers provided an entertaining and fun game for those who are willing to put bias and prejudiced ideas aside and just give it a shot.

Eddie.

I picked this game up quite awhile ago for $20 brand new, not having done any research on the title at all. I played this game while my Fiance watched, and it actually turned out to be an enjoyable title. Some parts of the game were very laughable, and reminded us of a B horror film. The controls might be a clunky, and the graphics may have been a little dated, but you should never let one or both of those things deter you from what could be a great experience.

I have heard that they are making an updated version of this game, and the possibility of a prequel if I recall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

is it sad that i bea this game shortly after it came out, made friends borrow it and play, and up until now(after playing plenty of great games, some "AAA" in the mean time,) i've wanted nothing more than to get my $20 copy of Deadly Premonition back to play through it again.

i think not

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so you're not into Twin Peaks style, and I doubt that name even ring a bell.

The people who enjoy this game can see the great story behind him, had fun for its weird dialogs and intentionally incoherent character expresions, and his dozens of tributes to Twin Peaks, so we were to busy in delight that we couldn't think about if the control was "good" or "bad".

Of course, if you get a game not very renown, without seeing first some review, you can easily take a blow, because Deadly Premonition was a game conceived for a certain public.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked it up for £10 at xmas, after a friend recommended it to me, knowing I'd love the cheesy feel of it. I gotta say, he was right. Reminiscent of the first Silent Hill/Resident Evil games, in terms of controls, animation and graphics. And I love it. Yeah, the car controls are not that great, but it was done on a budget, and I love the way York talks to Zach all the time about movies. Whoever Zach is lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Honestly, I wish more games were like this. I don't mean we need more horror-survival games, I mean we need more high-risk taking developers putting out games that aren't the norm for a lower cost than typical games. This game was $20.00 brand new and I got a lot of playtime out of it. Not to mention enjoyment and laughs. Sure, it wasn't photo-realistic or super-easy to control, but you get passed that.

The games industry themselves has even said that the AAA, Call of Duty type games aren't really sustainable for the long-term health of the industry. Putting millions of dollars on the line for a game that gamers may not like can destroy a company, but that's all that people like the OP probably play anyway. If it's not CoD, GoW, Battlefield, Halo or some other carbon copy FPS, it's not worth playing. Praise to Deadly Premonition for taking chances and offering cheaper games that are great.

• 3 weeks later...

It really makes me sad so many people are just all about the graphics nowadays.. ugh. :(

I admit the controls were a bother, but.. this game was one of the most refreshing and unique games I've played in years. I still need to go play it and beat it on one more difficulty again someday, but even still.. I played it a lot and I was just blown away by how fun it was. The story was pretty awesome, a few iffy things here and there sure, but it really dragged me in.

Not to mention the characters actually had depth to them for the most part. Nowadays, games VERY rarely drag me into them.. I rarely feel involved or part of the story. I haven't played a game like this in ages, and sadly.. I doubt there will be another game this good for quite some time. :(

Yeah, controls weren't great but you get used to them. Graphics weren't great, but who cares. The characters, music and mechanics of this game will stick with me for a very long time. It's given me awesome memories and reminded me how fun games can be again.