Official Golden Key Thread/FAQ

Wildmn34

i dont know how i ended up with 6! The first time i logged in without having enter any codes or signing up for any accounts i got the notification for my BL1 game save, Then i got 2 keys. I logged into my shift account then i got 1. I got my premiere club code from amazon the next day and logged in after i claimed it...got two more. Logged in tonight, message pops up giving me another one for i dont know what. Yet strangely enough, my friend has premiere and Shift but has NO keys at all. Another close friend of mine has 6 keys too except he put all his codes in on day one. We got keys, two of our friends whom have the same stuff we do...got none. Something is not right.

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the game will tell you when you get a key, the loot found in the golden chest IS scaled. It is best to wait til you are a higher level before you use your key(s).

I used one right when I saw the chest (by accident), am saving my second for level 25, then my last for level 50. I've been using the pistol I got from the first opening when I was level ~9 and I'm level 15 :D

Alrighty then. Still didn't use the key haha. Will also wait. I already got a rare orange assault rifle, so no need to open this chest...for now. Thx!

I still don't understand why everyone wants to wait until they're done with the game to open the chest. Its two purple guns! At lvl 50 two purple guns is no game changer. On top of that, you've got a really good chance on getting two guns you don't like, or an impracticle but badass rocket launcher. If I waited until lvl 50 and got 2 BS weapons, I would be butthurt. I used one as soon as I got there, I'll probably use the other @ lvl 20-25.

I stupidly used mine without realising it. My friend was showing me the chest and I didn't hear him say it was the Gold Key chest. And I used it. Luckly I have a second one to use around lvl 25. Maybe a bit sooner. Not sure.

I got two pistols. They were really good pistols, but I never use pistols so it was sort of a waste.

The third golden key comes from 100% the first Borderlands but it is not popping up for some people.

I got 3 golden keys and I've never played the first Borderlands on this account.

So I created my shift account but did not receive a token code in my email?

Anyone encounter this??

Yeah, I signed up right when I put in the game (around midnight on release day) and I still haven't received an email from them.

Once you use a Key it saves. I don't recommend dashboarding. It can kill your save.

If you have the Premium Pass you can get infinite keys.

Log on to your main account (The one with the Premium Pass so it loads), And create a game.

If you load up a Second Profile on Controller 2 but REFUSE to select a Storage Device, you can use them to open a chest an infinite amount of times.

Just sign out and then sign back in and repeat.

However, unless you power level the character to a higher level, He will remain Level 1 and Open Level 7 chests. Which is fine if your a low level character.

Once you use a Key it saves. I don't recommend dashboarding. It can kill your save.

If you have the Premium Pass you can get infinite keys.

Log on to your main account (The one with the Premium Pass so it loads), And create a game.

If you load up a Second Profile on Controller 2 but REFUSE to select a Storage Device, you can use them to open a chest an infinite amount of times.

Just sign out and then sign back in and repeat.

However, unless you power level the character to a higher level, He will remain Level 1 and Open Level 7 chests. Which is fine if your a low level character.

can you help me with this and i have a second profile level 8 but used that key does it still work then or do i need to delete save game from second profile and then dont select storage

So, a buddy of mine have tried the following techniques with the golden key chest:

1) Open chest and then dashboard

RESULT: Game saved as soon as chest was opened. Lost golden key but I was able to grab the

shields for my buddy and drop them for him.

2) Open chest and power off Xbox

RESULT: Even though I was the host, when my buddy shut off his Xbox my game was saved and

was returned to main menu. My buddy lost his golden key and the grenade mod, as I

wasn't able to pick it up.

3) Tried infinite golden key glitch

RESULT: Weren't able to open it more than once.

Also: I signed up for SHIFT and received an email confirmation. I DID NOT receive a code to enter in Borderlands 2. HOWEVER, I did receive my golden key for signing up. Which was great, because I am one of the many poor souls who wasted my golden key before I realized what I was doing :)

Edited by Supah Sage

So, a buddy of mine have tried the following techniques with the golden key chest:

Also: I signed up for SHIFT and received an email confirmation. I DID NOT receive a code to enter in Borderlands 2. HOWEVER, I did receive my golden key for signing up. Which was great, because I am one of the many poor souls who wasted my golden key before I realized what I was doing :)

My guess is the codes will be for future promotions or something...

"Djens"

Go extras in the game menu then put in your e-mail you registered and the pasword. An then you will get a screen like this.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r629/madeyepadeye/photo_zps601c8c91.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r629/madeyepadeye/bfxsigmadeyepadeye-1.jpg

Edited by madeyepadeye
bad english

If I 100% Borderlands 1 after I've started Borderlands 2, will that give me a golden key? Or do I have to have gotten 100% before starting Borderlands 2?

Also, as plinny1984 asked, where are the golden keys displayed? Because I received a message that I had one, but it's not in my inventory. Help please?

I completed the first game 100% and didn't get a key for it, so that must not be where yours came from.

The same for me. I completed the game and earned all the achievements. I did not complete my second playthrough though, so maybe that is the problem.

The third golden key comes from 100% the first Borderlands but it is not popping up for some people.

Perhaps it is because we did not complete the second playthrough?

So I have 2 golden keys, one from the pre-order bonus & one from signing up to shift, but I cant see them in my inventory. When I last loaded up my game it says I have 2 keys but I just don't know where they are! Could someone tell me how I view them?

Go to your menu and to your Bad-Ass Rank page. The number of keys are listed at the bottom right.

If I 100% Borderlands 1 after I've started Borderlands 2, will that give me a golden key? Or do I have to have gotten 100% before starting Borderlands 2?

I still have not seen any confirmation, ie, a source stating that you get a key for completing Borderlands. I have completed one playthrough and earned all achievments, but have not received a third Key. In addition I play with a friend of mine and he has 3 keys, but he never completed a single playthrough, nor did he earn all the achievments.

Also, as plinny1984 asked, where are the golden keys displayed? Because I received a message that I had one, but it's not in my inventory. Help please?

See above comment.