Subscriber Spotlight - April 2013

jackanape

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/guides/0-subspotlight.jpg

Helloooooo traveller! Come in, come in, what brings you to my door on this blustery winters eve?

You want booze? Drugs? Easy achievement points? We have all of that AND MORE. Well, actually, I don't have any drugs or liquor so I feel that may be a misrepresentation at this juncture. Still you're here, I'm here, so let's while away the time by looking at a nice picture of a bridge.........

http://wirednewyork.com/images/bridges/hell-gate-bridge/hell_gate_bridge_triborough_7apr02.jpg

............wasn't that great?

I know I'm now more culturally aware and full of knowledge. But it seems like you could use some more. I'm sure I've got some innappropriate lithographs here somewhere........*frantic whispering* oh. Apparently I can't do that, so here is the next best thing, a peep into the life of one of our fine subscribers.

This months unwilling victim, errr, well rewarded lucky person is none other than

Scotty x360a. A man that likes to work on his abs AND his gamerscore - but which is more impressive? Let's find out.

--Welcome to the spotlight! Introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Well, as the scholars among you have undoubtedly already worked out, my name is indeed, Winston. I do like to partake in bodybuilding, which i would say is my main hobby, though my muffin tops would have you believe otherwise(don't listen to them!). Gaming is a very close second and has been a main hobby of mine probably since high school.

--You're into bodybuilding, car pimping and gaming. A strange combination - so which order would you put these three hobbies in? I also heard a vicious rumour that you where seen making out with your car, while working out naked and filming it all on Uno using your 360 vision camera. How do you respond to my....I mean, these heinous allegations?

I wouldn't really say car pimping was a main hobby, more just some words to fill a somewhat blank gap in a little box, but i have only done very basic stuff to it, not including the ludicrous allegations put forth, I've never even played Uno, but how you found out the rest though, I don't know. My neighbor was NOT as discreet as he said he would be. Bastard!

--How did you come up with your gamertag?

My original gamertag, which was lovingly hand-picked by Microsofts' own appointed, 'this'll have to do', machine, was ScottyS1990, which, after some extensive research, i believe was created from my name and date of birth. It's just genius. I have recently changed it though for the lovely site awar... I mean to of course, represent to my fellow gamers that this is where i got my unparalleled gamerscore of about 89k.

--What first brought you to x360a, and then what made you stick around and subscribe?

I believe i first came to the site in 2008, when i needed help with Oblivion. It was around the time when i was a shining example of the jobless youth of britain and had NOTHING better to do than kill Daedric stuff. Good times. It wasn't until 2010 though when i made an account. I was a little on the 'social reject' side in 2008, so i was too scared to make an account and talk to people. I finally grew a pair in 2010, only 20 years into life, and here i am today, you can't shut me up! ... You can, just tell me to shut up.

I first subscribed at the beginning of last year for around 6 months, but alas, real life had to go and ruin everything, but last November, i was back, with a vengeance! and some cash. I chose to stick around, as with most of the regulars, because everywhere else rejected me. No, i kid, it's of course because of how lovely everyone here is and the fact that the regulars of this forum are like a close, but somewhat degenerative family. I love it!

--I see you've contributed some guides/tiles and the like (many thanks helpy helperton). What's your motivation to helping others?

I wrote my first Micro guide last November, with the DLC 'Dragonborn', for Skyrim. I just felt like it would be good to do something for the site, that was somewhat contributory, so i would not feel ashamed in the company of the more prominent members of the site who contribute regularly. I enjoyed writing it and was sort of hooked from then. I made use of the new Submit forum and tried to write anything for any game i could and i got a few out of it. After that, i tried my hand at the big boy's game of a retail guide, with my first venture for the Hitman HD Collection. I think it was successful, and have since attempted a second retail guide for the new Army of TWO game.

Anyway, shameless promotion over, i enjoy writing them and getting positive feedback is very healthy for my very unhealthy ego.

--Any guides you wish you could have had a hand in, or have your eye on doing in future?

I would like to have at least contributed to the main Skyrim guide, but i don't play games like that fast enough. I would have been able to make a career off the popularity of that guide, if i had my name to it in any way. As for any future guides, i would like to write one for a huge game, like Skyrim, getting hundreds of thousands of views. I don't have anything in particular in mind, but seeing as you have asked so kindly, i would, under duress, say the new Rainbow Six game is taking my fancy at the minute. I may attempt that.

--Is the 360 your only current console? What others have sharpened your gaming skills over the years?

The 360 is my only console, but i do like to play some games on my laptop, every so often. I generally don't buy new releases for my laptop, the only exception being Skyrim, which i will cease to talk about eventually, I promise. But I mainly only bought it for the downloadable mods. The real reason i play on my laptop is for a game series called 'Total War', which are excellent strategy games. I only play on easy and with cheats, like 40,000 money and such, mainly because of the word 'Strategy' that you have just read, as i have none.

My gaming career began with the SEGA Mega Drive that i got for Christmas one year, for being a good boy. I only played a very few amount of games, but most notably was 'Columns' which was on a 6-in-1 cartridge that came with it and a game called 'Streets of Rage', which may also have been on the very same cartridge. After that, i acquired my older brothers PS1, as he left it behind when he moved out, but upon reflection, he may have just wanted to get rid of it, it didn't last all that much longer after he left it. I then moved on to the PS2, which again i got for Christmas for being a good, now 14 year old boy, along with GTA3 and my first ever DVD, Reservoir Dogs, which funnily enough, i still have never watched from start to finish.

My 360 came after the PS2 when i began to see the light, or as some would say, around the time i was coerced into doing so by friends and family members.

--What is your gaming setup?

My gaming setup is highly underwhelming. I've got a 26" TV from ASDA of all places, not too sure on the make, but it works and that's all that matters. Right? Along with the TV i have a lovely 'Bed' in which to sit on while slobbing around on the Xbox all day, which as it turns out doubles up as somewhere to sleep, too.

--When you're picking the next game to grace your console, do you go for game play or achievements first?

As shameful as it is, i would look at an achievement list first and if it was too hard or too long i would be very unlikely to buy it, unless it was from a series that i like, Gears of War being an example. The achievements are hard, but i buy it because i like the game and usually get very few of the achievements in it. That being said though, there are some games i would buy without a seconds thought about the achievements, Skyrim being a great example of this. Gameplay isn't all that important to me, as long as it is fun or has unbelievably easy achievements, it will be allowed entry into my disc tray.

Edited by jackanape

--Everyone has a 360 game they can't get enough of, what’s yours?

Well, i'm going to shock you now, but i can't seem to stop playing Skyrim (Editors note: I wasn't shocked). I love it, as if we where meant to be together, forever! It's just so huge of a game, i can't get bored of it. If i do somehow manage to accomplish getting bored in Skyrim, I have no reservations about starting a new character and going through everything with my beloved all over again.

I'll give a little mention to Minecraft too. I do love me some blocky building. It's weirdly relaxing playing Minecraft on your own, the noises of doing everything, like mining and placing blocks are all very nice to listen to.

--Out of all of the games you played (on any system), which was your favorite?

This time i may actually shock you, but it isn't actually Skyrim. My all time favorite game is Rome: Total War. It is a strategy game for the PC, where you start as one of three roman houses and build your armies and cities up to take over as much territory as you can. You can also unlock other factions by completing the game, so playing as the ancient Greeks or north European barbarian factions for example, is also possible. The armies you build can end up huge, with the biggest possible being 4,800 soldiers, so you can imagine the fun in battling these armies for your own sick amusement. The game is dated by now, so playing it for the first time now would likely not impress many of you, but i assure you it is great.

--So if you could make your own game what would it be? A specific genre, a sequel, a crazy mash up of ideas?

Yay, this was my suggestion of a question. Now i have to answer it. sigh.

Kind of threw this question at me and i'm so very unprepared, so this will most likely be a load of old shite, but i'll give it a shot.

I'm thinking futuristic and guns. Next question! No, i would maybe create something like a combination of the Mass Effect story and the crazy killing of borderlands sort of mashed together, like some unholy abomination in a very old or low budget horror film. As long as it contained killing, cool bastards with outrageously funny dialogue and plenty of customization, i would be happy to sell it to people with a clear conscience.

--Talking of sequels. Do you care that most games nowadays seem to be rehashes? If you could choose would you go for a new IP or something familiar?

To be honest, i like familiarity in games,so i would prefer a sequel to a game i already like than a new IP. There are few new IP's i really like, with RAGE being the only one that springs to mind at the moment and the sequel to that has just been cancelled. I'm pretty gutted about that.

--Any games that makes you scream (in frustration/rage or fear)?

I do get quite terrible rage when i'm playing on my own. It's mostly because i suck, so dying constantly is a little disheartening, to say the least. I have gone through my fair share of controllers and knuckles because of this phenomenon, too. Anyway, the game i drop my bottom lip for most recently has been Gears of War: Judgment. I've never been good at Gears online, so why i thought this would be different, i'll never know. I gave up on it a couple of weeks ago, getting ruined by everyone with every weapon. I can't even master the 'noob' tactics, and still get wasted all the time.

Honorable mentions are Call of Duty and Battlefield, again as i get wasted too often. That's probably why i stick to single player most of the time. No-one can kill me when i'm on easy difficulty. Except for when they do and i just turn it off and go sit in a corner for a few hours.

--If you could wipe one game franchise clean of the face of the Earth, which would it be?

Probably Call of Duty. Just to hear the wailing of the millions of prepubescents as their means of being little shits are taken from them. That would be like music to my ears. I would also wipe FIFA from existence. I hate football, and this would piss quite a few of my mates off, so i would have my entertainment covered for the weekend.

--What achievement(s) are you most proud of?

I'm only really proud of one, as it's the only one i have, that is hard to obtain and worth spending my hard earned pride on and it is 'Hard to the Core' from Dead Space 2. Completing the game on hardcore mode with only 3 saves was quite the accomplishment and i'm hoping to be able to replicate it with Dead Space 3's version of this achievement.

--We all know gaming goes on till the early morning. What do you eat and drink to keep the reflexes sharp all night?

I'm partial to an energy drink or 2, or maybe like 5. I love Rockstar energy drinks, they are the most tasty, but i won't turn down a Monster or Relentless, either. For food, it would usually be some sort of chocolate pastry, like a Crepes or Brioche. I know, those words make me look like an arsehole, but they are both unbelievably good.

--I'm assuming some of those late night sessions included some achievement boosting. Any good/bad/memorable experiences you can regale us with? Were staff involved?

I very rarely boost. If i do it is usually quick achievements, so that i don't have to actually speak to anyone. I don't really like using my headset. The only staff member i have played with is Nozza. I was helping him beat the Borderlands 2 DLC quickly so he could have it as a completion for the subscriber competition at the beginning of this year.

--You have any particular online buddies that you hang out with regularly? Or any that have gone AWOL and you pine for like a lonely wolf?

Neither, really. I do play with some friends sometimes, but none of them really play the same variety as me, they usually stick to one or two games, usually FIFA, which i haven't played since FIFA 2004. I do have people on my friends list that no longer come online. My nephew is one, but he is more sporty than anything, so i think the xbox was just a phase for him. There are also a couple of old work mates on there, but i'll not be seeing them pop up again. One of them had a drug problem and i think he sold his xbox to accommodate this problem and the other was actually murdered early last year. I do miss the one that was murdered, he was a really nice person and i enjoyed playing Call of Duty: Black ops with him, sharing videos of our high score matches.

--Naked gaming - good or the stuff of nightmares?

Depends on the circumstance. If its gonna get me a hard to get achievement, i'll strip off there and then. If its gonna get people laughing at my 'shortcomings' then i'll leave my clothes on, or maybe just a quick bit of testicle or something, nothing too revealing.

--Well, there has to be a few games that you didn't like. Which ones were the worst?

All of the CSI games. I hate the program and now hate the games even more. I forced myself through them for the subscriber competition at the beginning of the year and they took forever. Of course the lovely guide by Jackanape was the best thing about the games (Editors note: You suck up. I LOVE IT! Gold star).

--Admit it, there must be a few games you played just to hear that wonderous achievement unlocked sound? NAME AND SHAME THEM!!!

Along with the aforementioned CSI games, i only played Fight Night Round 3 and Need for Speed: Carbon(the old one) for the easy achievements. There are undoubtedly more, but some of these cheap dirty whores of games, i actually ended up liking, like as strange as it sounds, Oblivion. I only got it as i was under the impression it would be easy, which it really was, but just time consuming, and i ended up loving the game.

--Not every game with quick points is easy to complete. Are there any games that you are giving up on?

Every Call of Duty, Halo and Gears of War i have given up on, either the online achievements or the hard difficulty achievements. These are understandable, though i think as they aren't easy.

The easy games I have given up on are Prison Break and King Kong. I just can't...Oh and Saw. Terrible.

--What was the last thing you purchased on the arcade? Worth it?

The last thing i purchased was Dead Space: Ignition and was well worth the little purple fellow now gracing my awards showcase. Surprisingly not that bad of a game and very easy achievements, which is always a bonus.

--Do you purchase/enjoy DLC? Or see it as a vicious cash cow to be ignored?

I buy a lot of DLC. I will buy it without thought if it is screwing up one of my few completions. I do like extra content though. Especially when it is a game that i enjoy, some extra missions or weapons or some very broken property(looking at you, Hearthfire), it's all welcome on my xbox. I'm known to spend a tad too much money on these extras, too. Basically, i'm keeping EA in business. Bloody Mass Effect Spectre packs.

Edited by jackanape

--I note that you have checked out the fine Staff Clubs (not bad ass enough to be in mine, but no one is perfect). Any more of those badboys in your sights?

Well, i'm looking to acquire Nozza's next. I like the Skull picture, i do think it is the best looking award. I may attempt Troy's too as i am within reach of it. I would also like to take this special opportunity to apologize to The Pants Party for suggesting his award was Spiderman. I was promptly corrected and feared for my accounts life for some time after this monumental cock-up. Please forgive my super hero ignorance.

--If you could make your own club - which games would make the cut, and why?

I'm torn between two different ideas. As you can see i have thought about this. My first idea would be to have Borderlands 1&2 plus all DLC and Rage plus DLC. The club would be called something along the lines of 'Scotty's Melee of Shooty Carnage(now with 400% more explosions)'. I have no idea what the picture would be though.

My second idea was to have all of the Hitman games, but i don't have a good name for it. The picture would of course be the rubber ducky.

--Which game(s) are you most eagerly awaiting?

Probably Battlefield 4 and Rainbow Six: Patriots. I have fears about Rainbow Six though, i just can't escape the thought of it being terrible. Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 was one of my all time favorites, so i have really high hopes for Patriots. Battlefield 4 will obviously be amazing. I am looking forward to GTA:5 too, but i didn't think too much of GTA:IV. I'm more of a Saints Row man myself, which reminds me that i'm also looking forward to the fourth Saints game.

--If you could add ONE thing/feature to the site, what would it be?

Tough question. I have been sat thinking about this now for like 2 minutes and i honestly have no idea. I would probably just opt for the obvious gamerscore tracking. I know, i'm boring.

--If you were Admin of the site for a day, what would you do?!

Well first, i would change the name of the site to Scottyisawesome.org, of course. Then i would probably ban a couple of people, only temp bans though, just so they know that i can. I would be changing peoples names to humor myself and maybe change some peoples name to a horrible color. I would not be a welcome face after my 24 hours where up.

--Any closing remarks?

Yeah, my name's not really Winston.

Also, the usual thank you's to everyone who contributes and runs the place for making it the greatest forum on the internet. I love you all.

Now that that's over, Jackanape, where is this fortune i was promised?

(Ah ha ha ha ha, fortune? I don't know what this guy is talking about. Must be some crossed wires somewhere. Ahem! Time to go - come back next time ya'll.)

Edited by jackanape

Excellent interview here guys. I share your enjoyment of the Total War games, and actually picked up Rome for the brilliant price of 99p a few months ago. I went into it feeling brave, putting it on hard difficulty confident that my Medieval II experience would help me out. I quickly lost 2 of my original towns, my king and his heir. In the aftermath of that incident, the calls for a new royal family were heard across the entirety my 1 town empire. :p

I'm with you in hoping that R6: Patriots is as good as we hope. I really like the name you'd have for a staff club too. The only problem would be that you'd take away the title of joint longest club name from my own.

Oh, I've been thinking, it might be worth checking the area surrounding that bridge for your fortune, Scotty. :p

--If you could wipe one game franchise clean of the face of the Earth, which would it be?

Probably Call of Duty. Just to hear the wailing of the millions of prepubescents as their means of being little shits are taken from them. That would be like music to my ears. I would also wipe FIFA from existence. I hate football, and this would piss quite a few of my mates off, so i would have my entertainment covered for the weekend.

Please make this happen. :D

Nice interview! I look forward to RSP as well and I'm delighted you want to write the guide. Now I can mark that one off my to-do list. ;)

Also, I'm digging the new interview format jackanape. Keep up the good work!

I'm hoping to make some of the questions as flexible as possible - depending on what the person has done on the site, their hobbies, profile etc.

So certain questions will always be there and some will be unique to the individual. More fun that way.

AND WE LIKE FUN RIGHT? RIIIIIIIIGHT?!!!! You'd better *shakes fist*.

Guest Scotty

Thank you everyone for the kind words, you're all so lovely:)

Excellent interview here guys. I share your enjoyment of the Total War games, and actually picked up Rome for the brilliant price of 99p a few months ago. I went into it feeling brave, putting it on hard difficulty confident that my Medieval II experience would help me out. I quickly lost 2 of my original towns, my king and his heir. In the aftermath of that incident, the calls for a new royal family were heard across the entirety my 1 town empire. :p

Ha! that sounds very familiar. i tried hard on Rome too, got wasted by Gaul in what some would deem, 'record time'. Have you tired Empire: Total War? its a very close second as for the best game ever made, imo. The good thing about it is that you can't use cheats, so i've been forced to learn how to play it properly and its an excellent game.

Very interesting interview Winston. I don't think i've come across anyone who would voluntarily strip naked just to earn an achievement. You should consider going for Minty's club all the while in your birthday suit, ultimate balls of steel:p

I'm more than willing to game starkers for an achievement, not sure what game would require this though. As for playing My Horse and Me 2, i'm not nearly man enough to play a little girls game. Unfortunately for me(and science) my balls are only made of flesh!:p

Nice interview! I look forward to RSP as well and I'm delighted you want to write the guide. Now I can mark that one off my to-do list. ;)

We could do the guide together, sort of co-author it. Team up like Batman and Robin(dibs being Batman).

Good and funny interview! Liking the new question as well! Sad I missed out on these for my Spotlight.. 2.0 by any chance?

--I note that you have checked out the fine Staff Clubs (not bad ass enough to be in mine, but no one is perfect). Any more of those badboys in your sights?

Well, i'm looking to acquire Nozza's next. I like the Skull picture, i do think it is the best looking award.

Best part of the Spotlight right there people! Learn from this boy!

Guest Scotty
Gives a whole new light on the "nude" thing though, picking Batman and Robin...

Which is exactly why i dibs'ed being Batman. He is undoubtedly the 'Top' in this situation:p Besides, i'm sure Grifter is a good lookin' dude, i could do worse...

We could do the guide together, sort of co-author it. Team up like Batman and Robin(dibs being Batman).

At first I was like:

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/batman-and-robit-headnod-gif.gif

and thinking I should get to pick which Robin/costume so I could be cool. Something like:

http://files.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/276521_S/batman-arkham-citys-robin-new-image-details-emerge.jpg

Then I read:

Gives a whole new light on the "nude" thing though, picking Batman and Robin...

Which is exactly why i dibs'ed being Batman. He is undoubtedly the 'Top' in this situation:p Besides, i'm sure Grifter is a good lookin' dude, i could do worse...

So now I'm like:

http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28682-0508ea92588705.jpeg

But for the record, yes I'm a sexy bitch:

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/23250000/ngbbs4e6042419a95b.jpg

:p

Edited by Grifter Reborn

Guest Scotty
*millions of pictures

Too bad man. we could have been great together.:p

Love the interview.

I remember you even back when you had that other name....which I forget. (Is that a good thing?)

Thanks mate. and my previous name was the hugely imaginative Scottttocs. ha, probably for the best that you forgot it:p

Ha! that sounds very familiar. i tried hard on Rome too, got wasted by Gaul in what some would deem, 'record time'. Have you tired Empire: Total War? its a very close second as for the best game ever made, imo. The good thing about it is that you can't use cheats, so i've been forced to learn how to play it properly and its an excellent game.

I've always wanted to get around to playing it. Probably something for the summer holidays. I can't wait for Rome II as well, just hope my PC can run it. :p