Spartan Ops Finally Fulfills Its Potential. Read Here.

BiggD

I don't care much for the "story" except it's nice to have a awesome intro movie! the gameplay doesnt really fit with the story IMO it's just objectives like side missions. but as long as it's fun I'll play. I'll probably not play it as much as I did Firefight seeing as there is no waves etc like in the good ol days of Halo Reach. Edit: LOL at those text pictures ^

Edited by StarsRPD

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care much for the "story" except it's nice to have a awesome intro movie! the gameplay doesnt really fit with the story IMO it's just objectives like side missions.

Very true. It'd be extremely generous and almost amazing if 343 gave us both Spartan Ops AND Firefight in Halo 5. One can hope right? :D

I doubt they will just because this is supposed to be the new Firefight. Techically we are just fighting off waves of enemies. They just add dialog and objectives to it, which gave me a sense of actually doing something I suppose.

That said, having played S-Ops, I still sometimes wish they could bring back ODST's Firefight. Reach's was terrible personally, but ODST did an amazing job. The way enemies were brought into the arena by means of drop-ship and randomized entry points made it unpredictable. You never knew what type of enemies you were about to fight, but at the same time it maintained a structure of cohesion. In ODST it was about working together as a team trying to stay alive as long as possible. Reach was just about killing enemies by waiting in their spawn points until the game ends. I think with the weakened S-IV units and randomized units (None of that Grunt, Jackal, Elite, Brute waves bullshit) Halo 4 could've had a very enjoyable Firefight mode.

I doubt they will just because this is supposed to be the new Firefight. Techically we are just fighting off waves of enemies. They just add dialog and objectives to it, which gave me a sense of actually doing something I suppose.

That said, having played S-Ops, I still sometimes wish they could bring back ODST's Firefight. Reach's was terrible personally, but ODST did an amazing job. The way enemies were brought into the arena by means of drop-ship and randomized entry points made it unpredictable. You never knew what type of enemies you were about to fight, but at the same time it maintained a structure of cohesion. In ODST it was about working together as a team trying to stay alive as long as possible. Reach was just about killing enemies by waiting in their spawn points until the game ends. I think with the weakened S-IV units and randomized units (None of that Grunt, Jackal, Elite, Brute waves bullshit) Halo 4 could've had a very enjoyable Firefight mode.

For sure. ODST's Firefight was a lot better. Perhaps it was also due to the limitations on lives during the mode? I think that played an important factor as to why it was more 'intense' and fun. I remember the map called 'Chasm Ten' (the one with an upper deck via grav. lifts and alotta Drones). That particular map called for some insane matches. I miss ODST's Firefight.

I've made the argument before on the Home Page News article about SpOps that SpOps is essentially Firefight, only with dialogue and what not...and everyone hated me for saying that, lol.

Only thing bad with ODST was lack of matchmaking. If only lol. Spartan Ops has no waves so it is essentialy campaign ish. I'd say 70% campaign 30% Firefight.

True. You had to go into a match and invite people. Not being able to find players was annoying. Thankfully, a good friend of mine picked up the game with me and we were able to bang it out together.

I'd say more towards 80/20 towards Campaign.

If ODST had matchmaking I would probably still be playing it honestly. I have fond memories of my Endurance runs for that game. The one in the Preserve (Lost Platoon I think) was a blast because of the Warthog and all of the Choppers. I also had a great time with the indoor ONI HQ level. Funneling enemies through the two entryways with two of us positioned on each door in a criss-crossing setup for complete saturation.

I also liked the different enemy ranks they included. Hunters had their golden counterparts with the traditional Fuel Rod Cannon instead of the Beam and Drones had a Major rank that was red and came with shielding. Variety is the spice of life and the series needs to be adding more of these class types. The only thing ODST was missing was a half-dozen Elite ranks.

If ODST had matchmaking I would probably still be playing it honestly. I have fond memories of my Endurance runs for that game. The one in the Preserve (Lost Platoon I think) was a blast because of the Warthog and all of the Choppers. I also had a great time with the indoor ONI HQ level. Funneling enemies through the two entryways with two of us positioned on each door in a criss-crossing setup for complete saturation.

I also liked the different enemy ranks they included. Hunters had their golden counterparts with the traditional Fuel Rod Cannon instead of the Beam and Drones had a Major rank that was red and came with shielding. Variety is the spice of life and the series needs to be adding more of these class types. The only thing ODST was missing was a half-dozen Elite ranks.

Indoor ONI map was awesome. Only map I was able to handle in order to get Endure. Funneling those Covies down the two stairways sounds exactly right. I also strangely liked Windward (the rooftop level with snipers).

I don't even recall there being a difference between Hunters; one shot a beam or fuel rods and the other just a burst? I sure didn't like how some of the Brutes had shields in ODST if I recall correctly. Pretty sure they did not have shielding in Halo 2.

They need to make more variants to the Hunter. Maybe one with two Fuel Rod Cannons instead of one. And another with two plated shields. There's room for possibilities with them.

The Hunters was 100% better in ODST and Reach than in H4. In this one their super cheap with their unpredictable quick charge. Windward for the win, tough level though to get the achievements.

I've always loved the fact how the Hunters are always deployed in two's.

Windward was definitely one of the harder ones to get the achievement for. Chasm Ten & Dare's Crashsite too. Damn, good times. Firefight oughta come back in the future.

The Golden Mgalekgolo fired the FRG Blob like they had in Halo 1. That and the Golden Armor were the only difference. And I agree with having more variants of the Mgalekgolo. I don't want them to over-do it since it would become repetitive (think Boomers, Grinders, etc... in Gears of War.) A little known fact, however, is that they actually have 2 forms (not including ODST's Gold forms.) When you look closely at the Halo 3 Scarab model, you can see the Lekgolo distributed throughout it's machinery. Scarab are literally Lekgolo colonies. Technically it's still just a machine, but without the Lekgolo it would be impossible to function the Combat Scarabs (Halo 2's Scarab was used for Excavation purposes, hence the unique model, and was the only Scarab model seen that didn't utilize the Lekgolo. I figure the Combat model was designed to require Lekgolo to prevent the enemy from hi-jacking them after Johnson used it against them in Halo 2.)

I've always loved the fact how the Hunters are always deployed in two's.

Yeah that's cute, I think one of the 2 must be a lady hunter :)

I agree bring back Firefight.

Anyone want to play ODST? I'm done with H4 none on my friends is playing and those that do rather play COD.

Edited by StarsRPD

The Golden Mgalekgolo fired the FRG Blob like they had in Halo 1. That and the Golden Armor were the only difference. And I agree with having more variants of the Mgalekgolo. I don't want them to over-do it since it would become repetitive (think Boomers, Grinders, etc... in Gears of War.) A little known fact, however, is that they actually have 2 forms (not including ODST's Gold forms.) When you look closely at the Halo 3 Scarab model, you can see the Lekgolo distributed throughout it's machinery. Scarab are literally Lekgolo colonies. Technically it's still just a machine, but without the Lekgolo it would be impossible to function the Combat Scarabs (Halo 2's Scarab was used for Excavation purposes, hence the unique model, and was the only Scarab model seen that didn't utilize the Lekgolo. I figure the Combat model was designed to require Lekgolo to prevent the enemy from hi-jacking them after Johnson used it against them in Halo 2.)

Hmm, don't know how I managed to miss the Golden ones. I always liked the FRG blob more than the stream. I can't help but think I've read that (Lekgolo Scarab) somewhere else before...maybe on HaloWiki or something. Probably HaloWiki, for sure now that I think about it.

Very interesting indeed!

Yeah that's cute, I think one of the 2 must be a lady hunter :)

I agree bring back Firefight.

Anyone want to play ODST? I'm done with H4 none on my friends is playing and those that do rather play COD.

I wouldn't doubt it :p

I would be down to play but I honestly don't know where half my games are, and in that lost stash - ODST is within. Although I would agree that I'm pretty much bored of Halo 4 and have been working on games in my backlog while almost everyone on my friends list emerge themselves in Black Ops II...which is just lame.

Needs a boss fight in it....

Halo and boss fights don't mix though. We were lucky to fight Tartarus and the Hereric Leader but they were short lived fights.

Wouldn't make sense to have a boss fight in SpOps because the only 'boss' would be Jul and/or Gek and that just wouldn't make sense lore wise.

Halo and boss fights don't mix though. We were lucky to fight Tartarus and the Hereric Leader but they were short lived fights.

There was also the Regret fight or whichever prophet he was.

The Tartarus fight was pretty awful. The only one I thought was good was the Heretic Leader because the gimmick wasn't as dumb and annoying as the other two.

Boss fights and FPS just don't mix well at all. It's either you give the boss a dumb amount of health, or you give him a glowing weak spot that appears every few minutes but otherwise he's invincible. Either of those two situations are horrible and annoying. Halo is especially limiting in that you have a set amount of weapons and mobility, so unlike an FPS RPG or Borderlands, you can't really make the boss have moves that can be countered with certain skills or weapon types.

The only kind of boss fight I can see working would be one where you need to chase an enemy on a vehicle since vehicle chases are one of the few things that Halo makes exciting. Maybe at the end he crashes and you just fight him like he's a normal, weak enemy. The fight itself is really just the part where you're chasing the dude.

There was also the Regret fight or whichever prophet he was.

The Tartarus fight was pretty awful. The only one I thought was good was the Heretic Leader because the gimmick wasn't as dumb and annoying as the other two.

Boss fights and FPS just don't mix well at all. It's either you give the boss a dumb amount of health, or you give him a glowing weak spot that appears every few minutes but otherwise he's invincible. Either of those two situations are horrible and annoying. Halo is especially limiting in that you have a set amount of weapons and mobility, so unlike an FPS RPG or Borderlands, you can't really make the boss have moves that can be countered with certain skills or weapon types.

The only kind of boss fight I can see working would be one where you need to chase an enemy on a vehicle since vehicle chases are one of the few things that Halo makes exciting. Maybe at the end he crashes and you just fight him like he's a normal, weak enemy. The fight itself is really just the part where you're chasing the dude.

Yeah, the Prophet of Regret too. I forgot about him. I thought fighting Tartarus was stupid. But once I figured out how to get a Banshee in the Control Room, it was fun :D The Heretic fight was cool cause he had Holos and could jetpack.

As you said though, FPS & Bosses don't go together. That's like eating a peanut butter and spicy mustard sandwich with toasted bread.

Chase sequences would be fun and cool, though. It'd change things up sequence-wise a bit from the typical 'click this button and watch a door open' or 'pick up this IFF tag.'

I agree with Gheuh. Boss Fights are a wholly unrealistic and generally unfair and uninviting gameplay mechanic that don't have any business in FPS. In a game like Halo or COD where the gameplay is generally based on realistic encounters (use your imagination when I say realistic.) Now ask yourself why you could wipe out a hundred Jiralhanae only to reach the end of the level and one Jiralhanae can magically absorb 5 times as many rounds as the rest.

In Halo 2, the Heretic boss was done well because it was realistic. The Heretic was regular health and simply had holograms to prevent you from spotting the real one. The prophet was also done somewhat well because it was more focused on support troops protecting the prophet than he himself being over-powered (Plus if you didn't like the Prophet fight, there was a glitch in the game that let you kill him the first time boarding his chair, so the whole fight took 20 seconds.)

Now ask yourself why you could wipe out a hundred Jiralhanae only to reach the end of the level and one Jiralhanae can magically absorb 5 times as many rounds as the rest.

Lol, I like that.

In Halo 2, the Heretic boss was done well because it was realistic. The prophet was also done somewhat well...(Plus if you didn't like the Prophet fight, there was a glitch in the game that let you kill him the first time boarding his chair, so the whole fight took 20 seconds.)

I remember that glitch, and surely used it when necessary on my Legendary runs.

*Boss fights should be restricted to fighting games, and some RPG's. That's it.

Out of a 5 mission set, 1 was from MP again, 1 was from Campaign again, and 3 were new locations which will be reused throughout the next 4 weeks. Over and Over.

Disappointing, for sure. But the evening background on the Requiem map was nice, and the 3 new locations were great because it was an actual level, rather than a small firefight stage.

Actually that Harvester is a new thing to all of us Fechdog. Beyond the fact that the Covenant are ALWAYS excavating something (As Palmer points out, those guys need to get a new hobby), we've never actually seen this device. That's why I was questioning it's organic nature in an earlier post. It's a baffling addition to the series and I can only help but feel as though it's Forerunner rather than Covenant. The Covies usually just excavate with a Scarab's Laser and weapons from their capital ships.

Is the Harvester supposed to be like a big hunter worms thing like the scarabs are or is it it's own new species that is just a really big... thing?

What if it's...

[spoiler=TYBG]a Precursor. And teh space aliens are forcing it to do digs because space aliens r master race and they make things do biddings 4 dem cuz lulzzzz

Get money, get paid.