Gameplay Guide: Tips, Area List and MC Locations!

Taiyz

This topic acts as a companion thread to the achievement guide. Check it out!

Sections to add:

-Controls and mechanics

-Character summaries and DLC: What am I buying?

Taiyz's Notebook

Here's a look into what goes on in my head when I play these kinds of games. This is literally a raw text file that I've been jotting things down in. I'll clean it up later!

Notes

Score Attack Glitches:

- Watch out on Score Attack Stage 2, it is possible to end up underneath the level, climbing on the floor as if it were a ceiling; when you fall, it teleports you inside the floor, and drops you down to climb again

- Don't jump into the top-right corner of the screen if it is scrolling diagonally up and to the right, up a hill. The edge of the screen pushes you back, and in the top corner it can push you underneath the floor.

- In Score Attack 3, don't air-dash into the top "block" of the highest wall in the stage, as you can pass through it sometimes and be killed by the scroll

Story Mode (visual) glitches:

-In one stage in Act 2 (I need to check which) it is possible to jump above the ceiling in one of those dome-shaped rooms and if you look at the top right corner of the screen, the black "top" of the ceiling ends earlier than on the right side and you can see the starry background above it

-While fighting the horse boss in Stage 11, if you jump into the absolute top left or right corner of the sub-stage, the boss will stop being rendered for a second

-The shader in general is a mess in Act 3. The shadows in the background tend to cut off towards the right side of the screen and there's this weird "broken line" effect where a straight shadow suddenly cuts downward sharply instead of maintaining its smooth angle. I know there's a term for this effect but it completely eludes me...Assassin's Creed games on the PC have this same issue

- You cannot prevent Gold enemies from exploding until you increase your Power high enough to kill them in a single hit; this applies to MCs and charge attacks as well. You cannot stop them from exploding once they begin the animation.

- Red enemies can only be killed during or immediately after two specific attacks, a two-swing roundhouse combo with their blade on the ground, and a pinwheel in midair. Niltor's MCs also render them vulnerable. They will not use these two attacks unless you leave them alone; they'll always attempt to counter-attack after blocking, which is not the animation that leaves them vulnerable.

- Dive kicks do much more damage than regular slashes

- Slide kicks will go underneath projectiles from standard (black) enemies (beam slashes for example.)

- "Chain Kill Master" cannot be earned in Score Attack, just because there isn't a situation in which to do so. The functionality is there however, because EXP increases, and because the achievement can be earned in Chain Kill Mode.

- Chain Kill Mode: Bloodbath! consists of a single locked encounter containing over 800 enemies.

- Exiting during a level saves absolutely nothing. Finish the level or get a game over to save acquired levels, MCs and upload your score.

- Deleting a character's stats wipes everything. It's basically like deleting a save file. Your stages completed, levels acquired and MCs collected are gone, and the character is reset to their defaults as if you had never played as them. This makes it likely that there are no "career" stats and achievements must be earned with a single character's records (excluding Level Manic.)

To-Do List

- Do 50 MCs have to be collected with a single character?

- Can achievements be earned in local co-op?

- Does Silence contribute towards average character level? 50 * 4 = 200 levels, but he'd make it 250, increase the divisor by 1

- Do Secret Rooms count as a stage players *must* access?

- AND do they count across all characters? Same with kills, MC usage and MC collection

- Are any of these "career" stats? (ie: Use a character, get 10 MCs, delete, repeat 5 times)

- Does "in a single game" mean a single stage, or a single sub-stage? (I got it in the first area of Stage 12.)

-I need to add a bit about the time stop strategy for fighting the Phoenix.

-I remember a while ago I almost got Chain Kill Master in an earlier sub-stage in stage 4...Need to see if it is possible there or not. The big issue was getting from the initial batch of enemies to the 4-way intersection locked encounter (the one with all the insects) with a sustained Chain Kill.

Edited by Taiyz

Character Progression

Seyfert

MC 1/1 - Default

Combox2 - Level 6

Combox3 - Level 12

Combox4 ? Level 18

Hitori

MC 6/1 - Default

Combox3 - Default

Combox4 - Level 5

Combox5 - Level 10

Combox6 ? Level 15

Tolby

MC 5/1 - Default

Power required to break second tier objects - 26

Power required to instantly kill gold enemies - 32 (slash) ? (slide kick/Nive)

Combox2 - Level 10

Combox3 - Level 20

Combox4 - Level 30

Combox5 - Level 40

Combox6 - Level 50

Combox7 - Level 60

Combox8 - Level 70

Combox9 ? Level 80

Ourion

MC 11/1 - Default

Combox2 > Level 11

Silence

MC 3/1 - Default

MC 13/1 - Default

Combox5 - Default

Combox6 - Level 20

Combox7 ? Level 40

Edited by Taiyz

Area List

Note: Some breakable objects require a high Power stat to be destroyed, even with a charge attack. These will be referred to by the term "second tier." See what Power levels are needed with each character in the post above!

Apart from second tier objects, every other breakable object in the game can be destroyed at any time. Some walls will require a charge attack to be broken until you increase your Power enough, but because they are still destructible at any level of Power, I won't point them out.

Finally, MCs that increase or decrease Power will have an effect on what objects you can break.

Act 1

Stage 1: Counterattack

1-1 - Ninja Assault

Secret Room - Heresy, right on top of the hill at the start of the level (second tier debris)

1-2 - Monstrous Army

1-3 - Fallen City

1-4 - I thought I told you not to come here!!

1-5 - Outpost Dome

1-6 - Asterios Ruins

Stage 2: Day of Destruction

2-1 - SZk Air Torpedo!

2-2 - Run! Ha ha ha!

2-3 - Mosquito Museum

Stage 3: Abandoned Guardians

3-1 - Sheer Wall

3-2 - Rain

Secret Room - Destruction, destroy the wall on the right side of the second pit of miasma

3-3 - We Have Descended

3-4 - Temple of the Wicked

N8eYG2W.png

Stage 4: Closed Paradise

4-1 - Madness

4-2 - The End of Fiction

4-3u - Lost

4-4u - Broken Dreams

4-5u - Broken Future

4-3d - Evolutionary Purpose

4-4d - Humanity's Future

4-5du - Killing Machine

4-6u - Anarchy

4-7u - Yell! Scream!

4-5dd - Fruit of Paradise

4-6dd - Prison of Delusion

4-7dd - Escape to Reality

4-8 - Existence

4-9 - Prototype Model

4-10 - Planet Blaster Cannon

Act 2

Stage 5: Dead Sea

5-1 - North Atlantic

5-2 - Buoyant Travel Bags and Shipwrecks

5-3 - Battleship "Great Union"

5-4 - Ghost Fleet

5-5 - Rudderless Voyage

Stage 6: Hades Opens

6-1 - Cruiser "Revolutia"

6-2 - Great Ocean Waterfall

6-3 - Underwater Space Base

c6wDpfg.png

Stage 7: Enormous Route

7-1 - Infiltration

7-2 - Escape Velocity

Secret Room 1 - Unhinged; instead of ascending the vertical shaft, break through the walls below it

7-2u - Reconnaissance

Secret Room 2 - Complications; after climbing the shaft, destroy the walls to the left of it

7-3 - To Space

7-4u - Hijacked Battleship

7-4 - Flash From Space

7-5u - No Survivors

Secret Room 3 - Oblivion, instead of descending the shaft, destroy the 2nd-tier walls to the right

7-5 - Lunar Orbit

7-6 - Autopilot

7-5d - Blaster Cannon

7-6d - The Target Is Always Straight Ahead

Secret Room 4 - Rigid, instead of ascending the second shaft, break the 2nd-tier walls to the right

7-7d - Bullet Nest

7-7 - Freight

7-8 - To The Moon

0IcMvYB.png

Stage 8: Battle Planet

8-1 - Planet Blaster Satellite "Luna"

8-2 - Look Down on Treacherous Countries

Secret Room 1 - Suspicion, instead of ascending the second shaft, break through the wall at the bottom

8-3 - Earth Watcher

8-4 - Cannon Control Room

8-5 - Heavenly Sniper

Secret Room 2 - Hollow, instead of ascending the shaft, slide underneath the root-covered wall

8-5u - Ruler of the Earth

8-6u - Moonlight Destructor

8-6 - Burning Light

8-3d - Humanity's Weapon

8-4d - Lunar Gaze

8-5d - Domination

Secret Room 3 - Shiver, instead of descending the shaft, break through the walls and walk through the roots at the far right of the following room

8-5dd - Endless Battle

8-6dd - Moon of Extinction

8-6d - The Door Has Been Closed

8-7 - Firebird In The Void

Act 3

Stage 9: Ruin Wanderer

9-1 - The New World

9-2 - Treacherous Moonlight

9-3 - Moon Drivers

Secret Room - Despair, on top of what looks like a ventilation shaft, destroy the second-tier debris and flip beneath the floor

9-4 - Ragnarok

Stage 10: Birth

10-1 - Skyscraper Barrage

10-2 - Beneath the Full Moon

10-3u - Wrecked Labyrinth

10-3d - Lonely Orchard

Stage 11: A New World Created

11-1 - Lunar Eclipse

11-2d - Breath, not a Secret Room but obscure enough to be one, destroy the second tier debris on top of the first hill (the house, not the staircase before it)

11-3d - Early Summer Garden

11-2u - Humanity's Descendants

11-3u - Ask Their Name Again

11-4 - The Black Horse of War

Stage 12: The Halls of Hades

12-1 - De Ludel Tactique!

12-2 - Premonition

12-3 - Divine Door

12-4 - Duty

12-5 - Ancient Covenant

12-6u - Humans

12-7u - And Spirits

12-8uu - Fighting Together

12-9uu - Alliance

12-10*u - Promise

12-11 - Changing Species

12-12 - Static Species --> Premonition

12-8ud --> Assembly

12-6d - Memory Without Record

12-7du - Verge of Extinction

12-8du - Assembly

12-9du - Guardian

12-7dd - What is the enemy's name?

Secret Room - From Bad to Worse, instead of jumping up the moving platforms, run into the shipping container at the bottom of the exit wall --> A&D

12-8dd - What are your names?

12-9dd - Ancestors and Descendants

12-10dd - With Evolution and Pride

12-11 (12-4u) - Grand Stairs, you must travel through all standard areas of the stage and beat all three of the previous bosses with improved stats, then the door blocking this area will disappear. Areas you have explored already, leading to bosses you have already defeated, will progressively be blocked off as you complete the stage.

12-12 (Super Human VS Elf) - The Creator

Edited by Taiyz

MoonSault Combination Locations

(This needs some formatting, I know.)

Sub-stage, MC Row/Column - Description

Stage 1

1-1, 9/1 - halfway up the giant ramp, stand on a platform and double jump to another small platform on the left

1-1, 8/1 - hovering over the highest platform above the giant ramp

Secret Room, 15/2 - complete the sub-stage to acquire this

1-2, 4/2 - above the highest platform after the first locked encounter

1-3, 10/1 - once at the top of the ramp, slide underneath the wall and jump to the right, over a pillar of fire

1-4, 15/3 - instead of jumping up the platforms right away, jump down to the right side of the pits of miasma; destroy the second tier debris, slide under the wall and cross the room

1-4, 7/2 - don't destroy the crates after the second locked encounter; jump to the first one (on the platform) and jump up

1-6, 9/3 - after breaking the wall, slide down the left side of the first pit you see

Stage 2

2-1, 14/2 - jump up the tower of platforms above the third pit and it's above the tower

2-1, 12/1 - after climbing the ventilation shaft out of the warehouse, break the wall on the left

2-2, 11/2 - jump off the end of the giant downwards slope to snag this MC; if you miss it, you can jump to the platform beside it, jump to it and air-dash right back to the platform to avoid falling into the miasma

2-2, 6/2 - after exiting the valley that began with the giant slope, double jump up to the first of three ice platforms and the MC's above the last one; alternatively, once you're told to climb upwards, double-jump to the platforms on the left, above the locked encounter

Stage 3

Secret Room, 13/2 - complete the sub-stage to acquire this

Stage 4

4-5du, 4/1 - climb to the top of the third dome, where you fight the laser array mini-boss

4-7u, 2/1 - in the second block of cars, destroy the second car in the second-highest row

4-6dd, 1/2 - head down the staircases to the bottom right of the sub-stage

Stage 5

5-4, 5/2 - complete the sub-stage to acquire this

5-5, 7/1 - as soon as you can jump onto the platform above you, keep climbing upwards and to the left, and the MC is atop the ship's mast

5-5, 3/2 - if you're still on the ship's mast, double jump and airdash to the right and you'll fall right through it; otherwise, double jump to the right from that first platform I mentioned

Stage 6

6-1, 10/2 - while jumping down the side of the whirlpool, the MC will be above the hull of a red ship, sinking in the background

6-1, 9/2 - same as Motaht's Attachment but halfway down the ship's body

6-1, 14/1 - slightly below and to the right of Ceno's Therapy

6-2, 2/2 - halfway down the first waterfall (its beginning is marked by a blue crane in the background)

6-2, 4/3 - just after the plateau halfway through the sub-stage, to the right of the second crane

6-2, 8/2 - halfway down the body of the blue sinking ship

Stage 7

Secret Room 1, 1/4 - complete the sub-stage to acquire this

Secret Room 2, 7/4 - complete the sub-stage to acquire this

7-4, 12/2 - break the pair of walls to the left after descending the shaft, then work your way through the tunnel and walls; crouch or wall-climb on the opposing wall to hit the last pair

Secret Room 3, 13/3 - complete the sub-stage to acquire this

7-6d, 3/3 - break the wall to the left after descending the shaft, cross the room and break another

Secret Room 4, 8/4 - complete the sub-stage to acquire this

7-8d, 11/3 - instead of ascending the vertical shaft, break through all the walls and swing down below the floor when you're standing above the MC

7-9, 15/1 - immediately to the left of the first laser cannon you see, you can jump above the ceiling to grab this MC

Stage 8

8-2, 5/3 - after ascending the second shaft, destroy the wall to the left

Secret Room 1, 6/4 - complete the sub-stage to acquire this

8-5, 8/3 - instead of ascending the shaft, slide underneath the root-covered wall and it's at the far right end of the following room

Secret Room 2, 15/4 - don't destroy the crates! After the locked encounter, jump on one and double jump to this MC at the apex of the mountain of items (As long as you stand on the crates, you shouldn't destroy them, even with Nive's MC on)

8-6u, 7/3 - instead of descending the shaft, climb up and head to the right

8-6, 1/3 - halfway down the shaft, break the wall on the right and cross the room; it's behind the roots covering another breakable wall

8-3d, 10/3 - walk through the roots to the left after descending the shaft; head to the alcove at the far left, across the ice platforms

8-4d, 1/1 - in the open ceiling of the third dome, with the laser cannons clinging to floating pillars

8-5d, 5/1 - break through the wall to the right, above the shaft, and it's at the far right end of the following room

Secret Room 3, 14/4 - complete the sub-stage to acquire this

8-5dd, 11/1 - after descending the shaft, slide underneath the root-covered wall to the left and cross the room

8-6dd, 3/1 - instead of ascending the second shaft, run to the end of the room to the right

8-6d, 12/3 - between the two shafts, destroy the walls on the left to get to the MC

Stage 9

9-2, 6/1 - immediately after the locked encounter with the laser array, double jump to the small platform above the floating ones

9-3, 2/3 - below the laser array in this sub-stage; beat it, head right and destroy the debris, then destroy the second tier wall to its left

Secret Room, 13/4 - complete the sub-stage to acquire this

Stage 10

10-3u, 14/3 - destroy the second tier wall at the bottom right of the first pit of miasma

Stage 11

11-2d, 10/4 - at the end of the second floor, run off the lowest platform and double jump back up after grabbing it

11-2d, 13/1 - when Faust's magic first appears on the (usual) top floor, double jump off of the vents to the ones above, and climb to the actual top of the sub-stage

11-2d, 6/3 - at the end of this sub-stage, don't jump over it

11-2u, 9/4 - break open the ceiling of either of the first three domes, jump up and slide your way to the end; double jump to the platform attached to this new room's ceiling

11-2u, 2/4 - in the same room as Ceno's Revival; jump down the third gap (from the left) between the pillars

11-3u, 4/4 - near the beginning of the winding passageway; on the first floor, destroy the second tier wall on the right and jump up (you can also drop down from the third floor)

11-3u, 5/4 - in the same passageway, there's another second tier wall at the left side of the highest passage; break through it and flip down where the blue jail bars are

Stage 12

Verge of Extinction, 12/4 - climb up the walls in the ceiling of the second dome, then jump above the ceiling of the left-most dome on the second floor

Verge of Extinction, 11/4 - same as Thor's Arc Army+, but above the ceiling of the right-most dome on the second floor

Secret Room, 3/4 - complete the sub-stage to acquire this

Edited by Taiyz

You can obtain 15,2 Leviranal on stage 1 -1 after slaying first 3 enemies to the right. There is a small debris right after the 3 enemies and if you crouch and full charge slash the debris and stand over and drop down twice ull enter a secret area. Survive the Seal Room and its before the exit

1-6, 9/3 - after breaking the wall, slide down the left side of the first pit you see

I've looked for this MC, followed your instructions to the letter but I still can't find it. I have checked every part of that sub stage, only I can't see it before I break the wall, after I break the wall, kill everyone, jump on every platform and while looking for it, I run into the boss. Is there something I'm missing or not seeing?

Like Azn Playah said, it's in the pit immediately between the breakable wall and the boss. You have to slide down the left wall of that pit; you'll sink slightly into the miasma but not enough to take damage.

JumpManAndy, when you do find it, can you tell me what was so confusing about the wording? I'll try and fix that.

I don't know if it'll help or not, but saw it was mentioned. I got the 100 chain kill achievement in Chain Kill Mode.

I was able to confirm that myself, but thank you very much for posting.

I'll take the time to note (to everyone, this isn't directed at anybody specific) that, I'd like to do all my verifications myself, so if something's in my Notes section in the first post of this thread, or it's in a level that hasn't been filled yet in the Area List,

please wait for me to fill those things out myself before telling me if I missed something. This is basically why I put that note about PMing in my Achievement Guide.

But definitely feel free to ask questions about my guide, especially for clarification, at any time. =)

And yes, I do realize the whole level 1 breakable floor thing (that BlindTubbeh mentioned) was my fault for not putting it on here in a timely fashion.

Edited by Taiyz

i can only recommend the stage guide on ps3trophies for reference where MC are or which paths to take, since they had 3weeks more time to put it together. however i love that you made maps with the branching parts. :)

and around a power lvl of 13+ from seyfert you should be able to break the floors and walls to the secret rooms without the MC that doubles attack power.

Edited by cra

I'm gonna find all the MCs myself, 'cause that's how I roll :rock

(Yes I know I took community input for Star Chips and 1-Ups in HC:U but shhh...)

And yes, the maps are kinda fun to make, but man the level design is convoluted sometimes.

Edit: Holy hell, I was just running through the first few levels again to hear some of the sweet early-game music and I had completely forgotten about the ST debris blocking the low-hanging wall in 1-4. When I first started playing the game, I guess I completely forgot about it because it was unbreakable and I hadn't run into ST walls yet and just accepted that it was indestructible. >_>

Double Edit: Boom, I got all the MCs. Once I finish the final stage map and area list, I'll put the final three from that one up.

Triple Edit: Just letting you guys know that I'm still around and things will get done when I'm less busy (and lethargic.) I've been visiting every day but since there really isn't much discussion going on, you guys probably wouldn't have noticed.

Edited by Taiyz

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I'd love to have a full exploration of stage 12.

Can you loop forever, or is there a forced path eventually?

Is there and Easter egg hidden in stage 12 somewhere?

If it is possible to break the special barriers in stage 12, what strength is needed?

I think hiding something behind those barriers would be clever. But we would need some way to prove that they can be broken and how.

haven't tried to loop forever. if the down path is still open after the 3rd "subboss" you can, if not you are forced to proceed to Faust.

I wonder if anyone has tried this yet?

I am thinking that it is probably closed off, but should it enable one to loop forever... a nice Easter egg for looping a certain number of times is plausible.

I'll check that tonight but I don't think I'm wrong.

Edit: Haha, I was. It was probably SR3 that screwed up my mapping. Thanks Phantom Phive!

Personally I'd love to have a full exploration of stage 12.

Can you loop forever, or is there a forced path eventually?

Is there and Easter egg hidden in stage 12 somewhere?

If it is possible to break the special barriers in stage 12, what strength is needed?

I think hiding something behind those barriers would be clever. But we would need some way to prove that they can be broken and how.

I'll throw up the MCs tonight, just with the stage area names, since I've had these forever (don't know why I didn't do that in the first place, sorry.) The actual map will take a little longer but I guess I'll take a swing at finishing the game tonight.

My actual text-based "map" is a complete mess that makes little sense because writing is procedural while the branching stages are certainly not.

And I can tell you that the walls are not breakable. I mean, it's not like I've tried with a maxed out character or something, but it's just common sense. They seal off all the paths that lead to bosses you've already defeated. There are two paths that branch to the "highest" boss, and both get closed off once you beat it.

I'll check if the lower path is open when Faust's door is, but I bet that it isn't!

The other facet of this is that feelplus is a really lazy company. Just look at the final level; there's like 4 unique maps, but so many sub-stages. They wouldn't make any extravagant easter eggs.

Edit: I threw up the contents of my text file with a note about the final area. I'm pretty wiped, so I can't guarantee that I'll get around to checking stage 7 or fixing things up tonight.

Edited by Taiyz

And I can tell you that the walls are not breakable. I mean, it's not like I've tried with a maxed out character or something, but it's just common sense. They seal off all the paths that lead to bosses you've already defeated. There are two paths that branch to the "highest" boss, and both get closed off once you beat it.

I'll check if the lower path is open when Faust's door is, but I bet that it isn't!

The other facet of this is that feelplus is a really lazy company. Just look at the final level; there's like 4 unique maps, but so many sub-stages. They wouldn't make any extravagant easter eggs.

I too, get the feeling that those special barriers and not breakable. It is just strange that they would exist instead of a more obvious dead end (I've seen so many people in multiplayer try to get through. Time and time again I just facepalm while I wait.)

I got a good feeling about the infinite loop though, or perhaps I am just hoping way too hard that there just might be something.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...