Onyx Medals Guide and Discussion

Nikke84

Guardian actually isn't too bad solo; it just means balancing 2 controllers. Set your guest against you and a bot, 60 second capture time, 5 second bleed out, and friendly fire. Start with the guest account and grab the bot leader. Then switch to your main.

From here, you'll want to bash the enemy leader twice with your gun for the rescue. Move away from the downed guest and quickly hit the bot twice to keep him down. If done quickly enough (and away from stairs) all you should need is to tap A a couple times to get up slightly quicker, then X to grab. Chances are, you don't need to move, which makes things easier and faster. Once the match goes into overtime, capture time slowly decreases until a rescue will be impossible, at which time I finish the round my capturing the guest. I've gotten as many as 93 in a single round.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guardian actually isn't too bad solo; it just means balancing 2 controllers. Set your guest against you and a bot, 60 second capture time, 5 second bleed out, and friendly fire. Start with the guest account and grab the bot leader. Then switch to your main.

From here, you'll want to bash the enemy leader twice with your gun for the rescue. Move away from the downed guest and quickly hit the bot twice to keep him down. If done quickly enough (and away from stairs) all you should need is to tap A a couple times to get up slightly quicker, then X to grab. Chances are, you don't need to move, which makes things easier and faster. Once the match goes into overtime, capture time slowly decreases until a rescue will be impossible, at which time I finish the round my capturing the guest. I've gotten as many as 93 in a single round.

Yeah, easiest medal in the game IMHO. Especially if you have someone else control the second. highest I've gotten was about 124. I'm still trying to figure out this Sovereign/Leader method that was previously mentioned...

Does anyone have a fast method for skunker? I've been doing 2 round KOTH matches to build up my killcount medals, but I know I will be done with all of those well before 2500 matches. do I actually have to physically play 2500 matches or is there a way to idle this one?

Edited by Ahrxelc

Definitely confused. I try that method and the bots just rush me and annihilate. yes, it is an insanely quick way to boost CTL matches, but maybe 1 in 7 matches is a win. I'm not the best with math, but I'm assuming it's possible to get enough for leader and sovereign within 3,000 matches at 1 in 7. To anybody thinking about trying 1 v 1, don't. Full bots on hardcore with two afks on your team is faster for matches played.

I'm still trying to figure out this Sovereign/Leader method that was previously mentioned...

It works. Honestly. You'll be surprised how many matches you win even though you have, as you say, 2 AFK + 3 bots on your team vs a full 5 bots. But I Onyxed Leader and Sovereign very easily with exactly this method by the time I had 2000 CTL matches played. Another trick is to use a turbo controller so your main account (i.e. Leader) is always in cover, which might help a little… : )

Another trick is to use a turbo controller so your main account (i.e. Leader) is always in cover, which might help a little… : )

Lol sound advice, but I already got the cover medal. And you're absolutely right. This method IS actually working at an alarmingly fast rate somehow. Only a couple 8 hour idle sessions and I'm only a few away from gold CTL. Somehow Leader and Sovereign are stacking up too. At this point the only medal I'm really worried about is Skunker. I have probably 400 of those. I don't know who decided to set MVP at only 500 but Skunker at 2500. MVPs flow like water when you play bots.

And you're absolutely right. This method IS actually working at an alarmingly fast rate somehow.

Finally they believe! :woop:

Hahaha glad it's working out for you. And tbh I'm pretty tempted to try this set up for Skunker as well since it seems to work faster than it really has any right to. But I'm not complaining. Will try to compare this versus Warzone or other match types for skunking. But I'm thinking in terms of boosting efficiency that if the Sovereign and Leader medals can be Prestiged at the same time, it might be a better ROI for time idling in terms of progress towards the magic Seriously. But only the stats will tell the full story.

Does getting a headshot with a torque bow also count towards explosive kills? Or do I have to do them seperate?

Check the guides that are stickied.They cover every aspect of the game in spades.Anything concerning medals, can be found using the apropiate sticky guide or search feature.This is iinfo is in the medals guide but yes torque bow counts.

When I first started going for my Onyx weapon medals, I asked myself the same question. Yes, it counts towards both medals! However, you're wasting time with that method; it's better to get your explosives kills with the Boomshot, because firing it into the spawn (assuming you're doing a traditional weapons boost on Mercy against 5 inactive players) takes out the whole spawn at once. Do not worry about coupling your headshots with explosives via Torque Bow - assuming you eventually move on to the Onyx medal for pistol kills, you'll most likely be headshotting every enemy along the way for that one (killing two birds with one stone, essentially).

Hope this cleared things up for you!

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest an improvement to the video shown with headshot on getting captor, headshot, and pistols. My change is to swap controllers to the guest once he respawns. While the spawn protection is counting down, run the guest toward your main. By the time the countdown finishes, the guest should be rather close. Simply switch controllers back, spot and put 2 bullets in his head. I had one round where I ran the guest account out of respawns before it ended.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone think that Epic will ever reduce onyx medals again? Just wondering if that is a possibility because my friend was a huge Gears 2 fan and said that like two years after its release they did a twenty times exp event to draw some of the players back. Makes me wonder if a year from now or something they might try to draw some people back by reducing onyx medals or doing some kind of event where every ribbon or weapon kill is worth double or triple ribbons/weapon kills in order to cut down on grind time.

Only asking because I have gotten the majority of the onyx medals but I'm starting to feel burnt out on the whole thing. Right now I'm leaning torwards giving up and moving on but it would be a pretty big morale boost if Epic took it's head out its ass and helped us out with this achievement.

That sounds like work. I'm going to say no.

anybody have some advise on what the best way to idle boost skunker? i have been doing warzone with hardcore bots and all boomshots. I have one xbox ad two controllers. This is my last medal,any advise would be great

That's exactly how I'm doing it. If I get time, I'll post some comparison stats with different match types.

Has anything changes since the early days. I got some sparetime and want to score some more medals in Gears 3. I m missing the Weaponsmedals and the Medals for the Games. Some others which will come along aren t the problem.

For the weapons I played some mercy or trashball (hordemode was not counting). For the games I was idleboosting with two controllers. Is this still the up to date?

thanks

Is 2-7 still the best way to get force multiplier? yesterday the 1st time i got it to 10 after trying and trying but it didnt it went down to 9 by the end of the chap. ??? Im lost

Yes, it is. You need to activate some of this Gears 3 perks. Right now I don t know which ones you need.

How do I go back to a previous save? I do have a backup. (hopefully Im in the correct thread)

I'd like to time it out so I don't get a 30K onyx when I only need 3K xp to lvl 100.

EDIT: Undid the 30K onyx.

I must be one of the few that got reset on purpose. I made it so much harder than it had to be.

Edited by Fester
I'm back to G-30