95% in Area 5 is the mind... KILLER.

Caleb Goessling

I'm hot on the trail of this feat (just got to 94.8% on my fifth try), but MAN, can we talk about this?

I downloaded the #1 Score Attack run, but that was only half-enlightening. I could see the exact number of hit points on most of the enemies, but the guy was running the opposite if the strategy I'm interested in. I want to kill everything as fast as possible, and keep the screen as clear as possible, but this guy didn't want to kill anything that could fire a missile until it had fired that missile, so he could shoot that missile for the points, and he would rarely fire a shot without a full 8x target lock built up. ...And the final, final boss fight was totally ridiculous. Homeboy dragged that out forever, letting every missile fire at him so he could shoot it down.

I guess my questions as a completionist runner are about specific enemies, and overdrive:

What's the fastest way to kill those two fan shapes that open and close in front of you? The second one (the one right before the multi-boss run) appears to be stronger than the first.

How about the giant cylinder that spawns hundreds of guys? Do you have to shoot every single one of them down? Can you stop them from spawning in the first place?

Where to use overdrive? I often find myself in situations where I think "Crap, look at all these enemies," and I hit it, but then I look at them, and they're all pretty slow-moving, and it turns out I was going to get a long time to take care of them.

The bosses: there's no good or bad way to fight them as long as you get the job done, right?

I think I'm overthinking it. I just have to practice, and shoot every target as soon as it appears.

Personally I can't tell you how to do it, as I'm struggling to get past 85% Shot Down on Area 5.

However, I did find a video that shows you exactly how to get 100% Shot Down on Area 5. Personally I find it hard to follow, as he seems to be able to target numerous enemies very quickly (yet my cursor moves like a snail and struggles to highligh multiple enemies on Area 5), however it might be of use to you.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-435065682899786051

Just hit over 96% on my first go today grabbing me the Laser Assassin achievement. The only thing i did differently this time was to use overdrives during the level (i hardly ever use them normally) and on the last set of boss fights, instead of trying to kill the boss as fast as possible i made sure i took out all of it's "items".

For example, on the boss that spins the square things things at you, i took out every one of it's arms before it died. Like wise on the very last boss, i sat there tapping fire as fast as possible aiming at the little "ships" that it shoots out. I'm pretty sure each of these phases are timed so whether you're hitting the boss rings or not, it will take you into the final phase. Once you're in the final phase, the rings are gone and the boss constantly spits out rockets, i just took the boss out as soon as possible.

The video on google is a good watch, take note of which enemies he taps fire on and doesn't use combo's, you have to combine these 2 methods to hit over 95%.

After getting over 95% on all areas, it also unlocked boss rush mode which is needed for an achievement.

I can tell you from the replay I watched that the phases of the final boss are not timed. You have to destroy either a ring or one of the roaming ships to move on, and those things take forever to kill. Each phase of the final fight is on a spiral-shaped course, and if you don't move on by the time you hit the end of the spiral, your character will just sit right there at that spot until you do.

Did you know the "true" ending comes from shooting down 100% in Area 5? I seen it on the YouTube.

I can tell you from the replay I watched that the phases of the final boss are not timed. You have to destroy either a ring or one of the roaming ships to move on, and those things take forever to kill. Each phase of the final fight is on a spiral-shaped course, and if you don't move on by the time you hit the end of the spiral, your character will just sit right there at that spot until you do.

Did you know the "true" ending comes from shooting down 100% in Area 5? I seen it on the YouTube.

I must have been chipping away at the boss rings without realising then as i was shooting down all the small ships that fly out.

I managed to pull myself up to about 97% last night, the key really is your use of Overdrives, the general idea is to use one whenever you feel you are going to lose too many enemies (best used in areas with those flying "catapillar" enemies). You only need about 1 Overdrive for the final bosses, for the one that fires a massive amount of green missiles (I think you may even get an overdrive from a previous boss before that, so you might not need any).

Personally I used my overdrives when you have a bunch of enemies appearing right when you are near the ring that takes you to the next layer. As for the bosses, hit every green/yellow enemy they fire (they count to the total), but keep firing on the boss as much as possible, otherwise you'll get stuck in a cycle of being hit again and again while focusing on enemies that don't count to your total percentage (like the red ships, or missiles on the final boss)

Wow. I just pulled off a 99.8%. Here were the secrets I gathered to get there:

There are two kinds of snakelike enemies. The ones that pop halfway out of the ground and fire at you while staying rooted in their holes. You have to take care of those ones fast, because they retreat after firing one shot at you. If you take them out as fast as possible, they don't fire that shot. They have 20 hit points each.

The snakes that fly through the air are totally different. Whoever said to shoot them in the head was RIGHT. Whoever said to use overdrive power on them was WRONG WRONG WRONG. If you focus manually on their heads, they fall apart SUPER FAST. If you use overdrive on them, the auto-targeting wastes all your time firing at the rear, and often doesn't end up killing them, and can make you miss all kinds of other surrounding enemies that fly by while your shots are getting absorbed by the worms' butts.

Also a concern are the X-shaped enemies that tend to fly straight past without stopping. I just memorized where they all were. Most of them can be fired upon well before you actually see them.

I didn't take any extraordinary care at the giant cylinder. I just blew the thing up, and missed plenty of the little spawnlings. Same goes for the bosses. They're all just graded as pass/fail. No need to hit every single one of their tiny little parts.

Two big keys to getting a 95 on area 5 is practice, practice, practice and using overdrives. It really helps to familiarize yourself with when the enemies come. Don't hesitate to overdrive if you feel overwhelmed; you can get a lot of overdrives during the level.

And make sure you shoot as much as you can on the bosses, except for the last one. On the last boss, just go for the kill. Try to save at least one overdrive for the last part of the final boss; all those green missiles are hell-ish :(

Two big keys to getting a 95 on area 5 is practice, practice, practice and using overdrives. It really helps to familiarize yourself with when the enemies come. Don't hesitate to overdrive if you feel overwhelmed; you can get a lot of overdrives during the level.

I disagree. I think using Overdrive is an instinct that anyone will have by the time they get to this area, and the key to Area 5 is knowing the spots where Overdrive will actually harm your score, as we've already discussed.

And make sure you shoot as much as you can on the bosses, except for the last one. On the last boss, just go for the kill.

I disagree with this too. I can say with great confidence that the bosses do not affect your "shot down" percentage, or I would certainly not have gotten 99%.

I never used overdrives before area 5, actually. Just didn't see the need for it...

Overdrives can't do any harm however; for the score, yes, but we're talking about shotdowns here. And overdrives won't harm your shotdowns, ever. You can't get less shotdown with them.

But that's what I'm saying. You can. They'll hurt your shot down% any time a worm is in the air. You need to manually target heir heads.

I never used overdrives before area 5, actually. Just didn't see the need for it...

The 2nd boss with his little wall things (shoot the yellow rectangles) would always piss me off and I'd always use mine there, lol.

I've got 94.66 on Area 5 for first try on Rez HD. It's been a while since I played the original so I didn't know where everyone was, lol.

(btw, excellent thread name, two thumbs up, "Fear" is definitely the coolest song in the game)

Overdrive usage as an instinct by the time anyone gets to area 5? Not really seeing as how there's hardly a definite need for overdrives to get 95% on area 1-4 as there is on area 5.

Yeah, what do I know about it? I'm just some idiot who got 99.8% for the stage in Play mode, and ranked #47 in Score Attack.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning i was playing and was my first try I didnt think i had over 95% then at the end it said i had somthing like 95.68% so i was very lucky! And i got the Laser assassin achievement finally!

Oh and I didnt use any overdrives so i props could have gotten even better with overdrives!

This video helps a lot:

[ame=http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-435065682899786051]Rez - Area 5 100% complete[/ame]

Already been posted before but just for the people who cant find it