Useful multiplayer tricks & hints

Hi folks,

despite all the problems the GRFS multiplayer is currently suffering from I really enjoy the game. Many players don't seem to have understood how the multiplayer works, though, sometimes making it impossible to properly follow objectives or just giving the opposing team the kick in the butt it deserves. Many basics are explained in the ingame manual, but I doubt many players have read it.

Long story short, I thought it might be a good idea to put together a collection of multiplayer tricks & hints, kind of like an FAQ.

To keep the thread tidy please post useful comments only, I'll try and add all new useful information to my opening posting (and the following reserve postings).

Feel free to contribute, criticize or correct. :-)

Greetings,

Nitey

--- Original Post 6/3/2012 ---

- Objectives over kills:

Though you and your team members need to kill enemies to prevent them from fulfilling their objectives (or to prevevent them from preventing you from fulfilling yours *lol*) kills usually do not make the difference between win or loss.

Focus on the various objectives the game provides you. Fulfilling objectives nets your team the majority of points needed to win the match.

- Always try to fulfill objectives as a team:

"Channeling" an objective takes up to 20 seconds for a single player, leaving him vulnerable and helpless all the time. With other players in close range to the objective, the channeling time decreases significantly, down to 10 seconds, depending on the amoung of team members in the immediate area. When you see one of your team members working on an objective, check your HUD. Once you are close enough to the objective yourself, an objective marker becomes glued to your HUD. While this marker is glued to your HUD, you help fulfilling the objective. Apart from the regular XP you and your team members gain from fulfilling an objective, the so called "Confidence Bonus" is being triggered, earning you and your team even more XP.

Please note, the Confidence Bonus sometimes only applies after a couple of minutes, for example when you have to defend the objective you just fulfilled.

- Use the "Coordination System" to get from A to B:

The game provides you with a navigation system, the so called "Coordination System". Hold down the RB button to bring up the Coordination System. With the RB button still pressed, you can use the Left Stick to select on of the options provided by the Coordination System. Once you have selected the option of your choice, press A and release the RB button.

You then will notice a new element on your HUD, a blue (GHOST) or orange (BODARK) pathing indicator which leads you to your selected destination.

Possible options to select as a destionation can be your (living) squad members, mission objectives or even enemies for a "Coordinated Kill".

The path provided by the Coordination System is not fixed, it constantly changes depending on where you are on the map. You can either choose to just follow it, it usually provides the quickest way to your destination, or you can go out of your way to maybe reach your destination from behind or to flank it.

- Play "Hide & Seek" rather than "Seek & Destroy":

After spawning take your time and find out what the current objective is, check the map to see where the action currently is going on and... take your time getting there!

9 out of 10 times an enemy will be hidden somewhere between you and your destination. Rushing through the maps usually just ends up in you being killed andh im adding another kill to his count. Rather than rushing learn to utilise cover possibilities and how to check your surroundings.

Make use of whatever gadgets the game provides for your class of choice, for example the the camera, the UAV or sensor grenades, they all can provide you and your team with helpful data dramatically increasing your chances of survival.

An enemy has been detected and is highlighted in your HUD? Don't rush straight towards him, try to flank him or get into his back.

Keep checking your minimap, even though enemies might not be directly highlighted in your HUD your minimap might show red arrows, e.g. when an enemy is engaged in battle with one of your team members.

- Be careful using grenades:

Whenever you use grenades, be careful! Though "Friendly Fire" is disabled for weapons, this does not apply to grenades. You can hurt or even kill your own team members (and yourself) with them or, in the luckiest of all cases, just blind them or temporarily disable their HUD with an EMP 'nade.

- Stun & Hack whenever possible:

It is possible to stun enemies, for example by using the Stun Gun or a rifle attachment. Stunned enemies then can be hacked, just move to them and hold down the X button.

It takes a couple of seconds, leaving you as vulnerable and helpless as if you were channeling an objective, the gain for yourself and your team is massive, though. A successful hack provides your team with intel on the enemies and their positions, allowing you to see them through walls, even from a distance.

- Do not kill stunned enemies being hacked by a team member:

Read the hint above, it should give you an idea why you should not kill stunned enemies who are currently being hacked by a team member.

- Learn to utilise your equipment:

As mentioned above, the game provides you with a couple of options regarding your equipment. Engineers for example gain access to the UAV drone. The UAV allows you to mark enemy locations on your teams HUD, making it one of the mightiest tools in the game. I managed to rack up nearly 16,000 XP in one round by just using the UAV to mark enemies for my team. One guy on my team managed to make 51 kills in one round, with his longest killing streak of 32.

Each enemy marked by you and afterwards killed is worth 200 XP.

Noone is playing an engineer on your team? Choose to be one yourself the next time you die and have fun using the drone, your team will love you for it.

Similar things go for many of the other gadgets the game provides. The sensor grenades, for example, are another great way to help out your team to both secure defensive perimeters or to storm barricaded enemies.

Don't just rely on shooting, check out all the gear provided to you and find ways to use it properly.

- Rolling on the floor when burning:

An enemy set you on fire using Incendiary Ammunition or Incendiary Grenades? Extinguish the flames by going "prone" by holding the B button and then roll on the floor by quickly tapping the Left Stick right or left.

- Running into Prone:

Whilst running (hold the A button) you can throw yourself into prone stance by simultanously holding down the B button.

- Healing your team members:

Sometimes team members go "DBNO" (down but not out) after being shot. They then only have a couple of seconds left before they bleed out.

If the situation allows it, move up to them and hold down the X button to heal them. A successful heal both rewards you with 500 XP as well as a thankful buddy. ;-)

- Notify your team members when DBNO or stunned:

When downed but not out or stunned, press DOWN on the digipad, it notifies your team you need help.

Apart from notifying your team and waiting for them to heal you when DBNO, you have to more options:

Try crawling to a possible safe spot, out of plain sight, or maybe even towards a team member (check your minimap!).

Before risking an enemy getting close to and stunning you, decide to commit suicide, just hold down the X button, this speeds up the bleed-out timer.

- Learn what the various icons on the (mini)map mean:

When checking the map you will notice various different icons showing on it. The map also provides a legend you can check to see what each icon means.

Learn them!

A lightning symbol, for example, means someone has been stunned. It might be a good idea to check up on that position. If its a team member who's been stunned, chances are good an enemy is going to try and hack him. Vice versa, a stunned enemy usually means one of your buddies is going to try and hack him, he surely will be glad if you cover him while doing so.

- Gain additional "Attachment Credits" using an iOS / Android app (THX to DividedbyN1ght):

- Get yourself some new guns (THX to Taylorboy):

- Get yourself even more guns playing Ghost Recon Commander on Facebook:

--- Addition #1 6/4/2012 ---

- Differences between Intel Level 1 and Intel Level 2 (enemy detection):

Level 1 Intel

- shows the enemy as a small red arrow on your minimap

- shooting an unsuppressed weapon provides Level 1 Intel for the enemy

Level 2 Intel

- highlights the enemy for your complete team

- marked enemies can be seen through all walls

Edited by NiteChylde

- How to detect enemies:

Data Hacking

- available to all classes

- stun an enemy using the Stun Gun, the UB (Underbarrel) Stun Gun (unlockable at level 4, usable only on a couple of rifles) or the Stun Mine, then move up to him and hold the X button

- provides Level 2 Intel (see above for more information on Intel)

- intel is being provided for 40 (!!!) seconds

UAV

- a flying drone unlocked for Engineers at Level 4

- use LT to decrease and RT to increase Altitude, move around using the Left and the Right Stick

- no need to press a button to mark enemies, just get them in plain sight; you will know if an enemy in your field of view is detected when a red marker shows on his body

- provides Level 2 Intel

- the UAV can be shot down, try to stay out of enemies sight, hide in tree tops etc

- has a limited range within a perimeter around your own position, the game will let you know when you are leaving this perimeter, you then have a couple of seconds to return to it

UCAV

- unlocks for Engineers at level 40

- same abilities and weaknesses as the UAV

- additionally carries 2 EMP and 6 FRAG grenades, both explode upon impact

Sensor Grenades

- starting equipment for Engineers (2 grenades)

- can be refilled via ammunition boxes or weapon cashes

- use like any other grenade

- detects enemies for 8 seconds within a limited perimeter around the grenade

- provides Level 2 Intel

Camera

- starting equipment for all classes

- is placed on the ground right where your character is when you use it

- can be picked up again for future use

- on placing the camera a perimeter around your current location is marked red, within this radius the camera can detect enemies

- after placing the camera it rotates 360°, so it field of view constantly changes

- if an enemy shows up in its field of view he is being detected for 2 seconds

- provides Level 2 Intel

Stun Mine

- unlocks for Scouts at level 28

- upon placement you will see a red cone in front of the mine, this is the area in which the mine automatically stuns enemies

- stunned enemies become detected

- provides Level 2 Intel

More ways to detect enemies

There are a couple more ways to detect enemies, like the auto-detection provided by the game on the minimap whenever an enemy shoots an unsuppressed weapon or the OTR Scanner weapon attachment for certain Scout weapons.

If you think vital information is missing, let me know!

- How to counter detection:

Scouts

They can use their camouflage to counter detection, I haven't played a scout myself, but from using the UAV I assume the detection automatically is being countered whenever their camo system kicks in. Can anyone confirm this?

The Jammer

- unlocks for Engineers at level 28

- can be placed anywhere on the ground, after placement jams all detection within a large radius

- can be destroyed

- you know you are being jammed when your HUD elements go crazy

EMP

- available to all classes from the start as EMP Grenades

- also avaible as weaponry to the Engineer's UCAV drone

- available as level 16 unlockable weapon attachmend "40MM EMP Launcher" for a couple of weapons

- temporarily destroys the enemies HUD completely, so even if you are detected they can't make use of it

- can also be used to easily destroy UAV / UCAV drones, jammers, cameras etc

- Do not camp close to an objective after taking it

Did you ever wonder why you couldn't spawn on a living squad mate? There are two reasons for it:

1. your squad mate was in combat

2. he was too close to an objective

I always go crazy when the objective is across the map from my teams own deployment area / spawn point and I'm not able to spawn with my squad mates just because they think they need to sit on the objective like a hen on its egg...

While there is not much you can do against #1, apart from killing your immediate enemies as quickly as possible, always keep in mind not to camp to close to an objective after taking it to prevent #2 from happening to your squad mates!

You being to close to an objective means your squad mates have to spawn in the regular deployment area (or the alternative spawn if the regular one's being camped). This also means your reinforcements might come late to help you defend the objective against enemies, thus allowing them to destroy or capture the objective leaving you and your team in a bad spot.

Edited by NiteChylde

I hope a lot of people read the above post. The lack of communication between players really makes a coop heavy multiplayer game like FS suffer.

Already like to be off to a good start, so thank to OP. Cant wait to see it after others have contributed as well.

On a side note, can anyone fully explain the sensor grenade. I just using the engineer class and I want to take full benefit of the gadgets. However, I feel as though the duration of my sensor grenades don't last very long. If there is a way to counter how is this done?

Thanks in advance.

What irks me the most is that the mode Team Deathmatch is not in the game yet everyone plays conflict/decoy/sabotage as if it were TDM. Tired of playing a game where the objective is literally right in our spawn vicinity yet the 5 other "team members" run off to spawn kill the other team leaving me being the lone person completing the objective and praying I dont get killed at the last second.

The thing that has annoyed me the most if the lack of information from Ubisoft to try and get players to play the game properly. Yes, there is a lot of ignorance from the player base in just deciding to kill each other rather than focus on the objectives, but at the same time there was no support for the MP at all.

When the beta came out, a few small videos were posted on X360A and presumably a few others sites, and thats been about it for help on playing the game, the rest has come from players themselves. The one game where a tutorial would've been useful for MP has been left out, and instead most don't know about the coordination system and so on.

Having just lost a game which we should've won (held the last objective, would've put us ahead but idiots lost it in final 20 seconds), I managed to come out with twice the score of my team and more than that of the others. It just doesn't make sense how a game that was fairly close in points is completely broken in the scoreboard. I got all my points from Intel Assists, a few Savior Kills and generally completing the objectives myself, it should be standard stuff.

I really hope a few read this thread and realise that theres more to the game than lone wolf kills. Its a total letdown how Ubisoft has given no real support for the MP post-beta, instead just releasing horrific adverts that should be buried in the desert.

On a side note, can anyone fully explain the sensor grenade. I just using the engineer class and I want to take full benefit of the gadgets. However, I feel as though the duration of my sensor grenades don't last very long. If there is a way to counter how is this done?

See my additions above, I have added quite a lot of information on how the various methods of detection work and how to counter them.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Thread: I think that Ubisoft doesn't care what fans think.

The thing that bother me the most. I play this games since release day and i play a lot of MP.

I never managed to play with people that communicate (headset), while this game is all about teamwork and COMMUNICATION.

People definitly thinks it's COD.

I Hate this.

I, like many people have been experiencing alot of problems with the multiplayer so I don't play that much. When I do play and it's working right, it's alot of fun. When you have a good team that communicates, it's amazing. You can destroy any team that doesn't. I always play as a random and always get stuck on crappy teams. I got one game yesterday where I was put on a real team and we absolutely dominated. I think the folks who don't want to play tactical and run n' gun won't last very long with the game and at some point it'll be alot of people playing the way it was meant to be played.

Scouts

They can use their camouflage to counter detection, I haven't played a scout myself, but from using the UAV I assume the detection automatically is being countered whenever their camo system kicks in. Can anyone confirm this?

unfortunatly this doesn't work, camo really offers no detection protection at all, sensors, cameras, hacks all pick you up clear as day like everybody else. it really makes no sense, UAVs seem to have trouble but i think thats more because it's simply harder for the operator to notice you from the air so they don't bother highlighting you, hell the 1 thing camo specificly says it protects from is thermal and you're still pretty darn clear through a thermal scope

The UCAV does NOT detect enemies for your teammates. I found that out the hard way. It's a much better choice to get the turret at level 40 instead. The double-time tokens also don't work for equipment, only weapons. All information that would've really helped me.

[/indent]unfortunatly this doesn't work, camo really offers no detection protection at all, sensors, cameras, hacks all pick you up clear as day like everybody else. it really makes no sense, UAVs seem to have trouble but i think thats more because it's simply harder for the operator to notice you from the air so they don't bother highlighting you, hell the 1 thing camo specificly says it protects from is thermal and you're still pretty darn clear through a thermal scope

the camo DOES offer protection against UAV's as soon as it kicks in. You'll go from being detected to undetected. It however does NOT offer protection against hacks, cameras ( which it should. How does it provide protection against thermal/uav, but not a thermal camera), sensors, and intel.