Mass Effect 3 Boycott

ZuBzErO123

Never mind, people are getting angry over this. I was hoping to have a discussion but some of the kids on here don't seem to know what an opinion is :) ahh well.

I never said I was going to outright boycott the game, but I was still annoyed by EA's business strategy with ME3. I was just bringing a hot topic in the gaming world to a forum I enjoy, and it still seems you can't have a discussion on any forums, even the ones you thought were decent.

Edited by ZuBzErO123

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to cause a flame war

And yet you name your thread "Mass Effect 3 Boycott" >_>

And to answer your question, you are being too sensitive. You could just as easily say that you can't the full experience if you didn't buy another DLC such as Overlord or LOTSB, but doesn't mean it's true.

Yes it's coming out at release as Day One DLC. Does this mean it was stripped from the game? No, not exactly. Could it have been stripped? Yes.

I'm willing to bet that the Prothean doesn't even impact the game as much as everyone thinks he will.

Everyone always jumps on the bandwagon that EA is an evil company or that they are moneygrubbers. Aren't we just moneygrubbers by complaining about having to purchase something?

Shouldn't you be angry at the massive amounts of DLC for other games, like Gotham City Imposters? Over 100 pieces of DLC AT LAUNCH. Sure they can be unlocked with normal gameplay(albeit a LOT of gameplay), but they are practically begging you to take the easy way out and buy it.

Would you have preferred it if they made it so the Prothean was in the game but only unlockable if you either maxed out all multiplayer levels/characters or if you paid $10 as an easy way out?

And complaining about additional DLC from art books, figures, etc. is just stupid. All they provide is skins/boosters/etc. Little things that are nice bonuses from buying said object. Now if you had to buy the art book to be able to play as FemShep or all the figures in order to view cutscenes then that would be a different story.

Edited by Captain Urahara

And yet you name your thread "Mass Effect 3 Boycott" >_>

And to answer your question, you are being too sensitive. You could just as easily say that you can't the full experience if you didn't buy another DLC such as Overlord or LOTSB, but doesn't mean it's true.

Yes it's coming out at release as Day One DLC. Does this mean it was stripped from the game? No, not exactly. Could it have been stripped? Yes.

I'm willing to bet that the Prothean doesn't even impact the game as much as everyone thinks he will.

Everyone always jumps on the bandwagon that EA is an evil company or that they are moneygrubbers. Aren't we just moneygrubbers by complaining about having to purchase something?

Shouldn't you be angry at the massive amounts of DLC for other games, like Gotham City Imposters? Over 100 pieces of DLC AT LAUNCH. Sure they can be unlocked with normal gameplay(albeit a LOT of gameplay), but they are practically begging you to take the easy way out and buy it.

This is the arguement that alot of people are putting forward. "I bet the DLC is not even integral to the story", with me, that's not the point. The point of this is the sheer money grabbing that is going on. I don't know what you mean by "Aren't we the money grabbers", that part of your arguement makes little sense.

And for GCI, yeah, that's awful too, hence why I havn't purchased that game either. The idea to be able to purchase power in a multiplayer game is obsurd. The game turns into a "I have the more money, hence I win" rather than a "I have the most skill, hence I win".

And whooooooooa, I never said anything about having an art book or soundtrack included for CE buyers is a bad thing. Sure thats cool, give them something cosmetic or that doesn't affect the gameplay, but if you're going to dish out DLC with extra missions and gameplay, then that's not on, surely?

I never had a problem with Overlord or the Shadow Broker DLC, they were released months after the game was released which is what DLC should be. An addon to the game. But with this I just find it hard to justify the strategy to release a DLC of an interesting character which we have to pay for!

Edited by ZuBzErO123

Whatever people need to stop bitching. This day 1 shit has been going on for awhile now get over it. Either buy it or don't buy it. No one is forcing you to buy it. And who said that this DLC is a major plot point for Mass Effect 3? Does this guy have inner knowledge of Bioware we don't?

Sure it's a Prothean but I thought Mass Effect was about Commander Shepard defeating the reapers and saving the galaxy. Now I'm not defending EA I'm just saying it's not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last.

And if you all want to boycott then more power to you. But come March 6th while you are sitting there twiddling your thumbs I'll be kicking some reaper ass.

Any body else bothered by this? I'm getting pretty tired of EA's money grubbing ways, especially when it's rubbing off on some of my favourite developers.

Thoughts? Will this effect your purchase of the game or do you think i'm being too sensitive?

I don't think you're being too sensitive. Am I bothered by this? Yup. Will I still buy the game day one? Yup. Will I buy the DLC? Nope.

They are going to continue to nickle-and-dime because it works. Because people are buying them. I'm not, but other people are.

In a bad economy, it looks bad to raise prices so they do the next best thing. If you pay attention to groceries, ever notice how prices of some items don't change, but the amount inside each package is less or the item is smaller? Same principle. You notice you're getting less for the same amount of money, but as long as the price doesn't go up, you're not too mad. If you want to eat more, just buy another package.

They take some content out of retail game, charge the same price, so people aren't too mad. Then sell the extra stuff for a bit extra. If you want it, you buy it. They get more money. Same idea. As long as people keep buying, they will keep doing it. Same reason there will be a CoD game every year.

(Sorry, not my most articulate explanation, but you get the idea.)

It's just an EA tie in to get people to buy new copies of the game similar to online passes isn't it?

No ME3 has an actual Online Pass now. ME2 had the Cerberus Network which was its version of a pass that granted free DLC for buying the game new. Guess what? People complained about it. Now we have an actual online pass and no free DLC. So all hate should be directed at those who complained about the CN.

If you complain about free stuff, then companies will start charging so they at least make something from the transaction.

If you've ever bought/rented a used game, then you might as well take your ire out of this thread.

EA's online pass and DLC strategy is a product of the market in which it competes.

The cold, hard, bottom line is that it still all boils down to choice in the end. Buy or don't buy.

Well, not entirely. I avoid buying used games because I fail to see why a games outlet should get my money and not the developers. But sometimes, when I'm unsure whether I wanna take a gamble on buying a new game, I'll rent it for a couple of nights. If I like it, cool, I'll buy it, if not then it won't ever see the inside of the Xbox again. But that's a totally different issue.

Exactly, to buy and not to buy. That's the question here.

Boycotting ME3 isn't going to catch on. Major fans of the series are too far in by the third game. The only thing a boycott will successfully do is deprive those participating of the experiences of the game.

If you're angry about day 1 DLC, then don't buy the DLC. Why throw out what could otherwise be a decent gaming experience for that one thing?

I guess I might be being lax about this because I was getting the CE anyways, but seriously, when did gamers start getting pissed at there being MORE content?

So what I gather from this is...

Content that I get for free.... TWICE... You are upset at having to pay $10 for?

Lesse... I bought two LE copies of Mass Effect 3. Both on preorder. Grand total of $190 some odd dollars... Each game about $20 over the starting price...

Each game already comes with that DLC as well as some EVEN MORE AWESOME features and stuff...

And you're complaining that you'd have to spend another $10 for a completely optional character?

Dude, I already spent the $10 on that character. Why should YOU be exempt for the same content?

It costs money to produce content. You must pay voice actors. You must pay artists. You must pay writers. You must pay programmers. It all costs money. They don't work for free.

Zaeed was "Day One DLC" and I didn't see you jerkwads up in arms about HIM.

DLC is not, and never will be, integral to the core game. It's always been completely optional and up to the user to determine if it's worth it or not. If you want to extend your gameplay with more content, you purchase the content. If you don't want to, don't.

At least with the Prothean Day One DLC, there's no achievements with it like there were for Zaeed.

You people are BASICALLY bitching about having a CHOICE. If it's too expensive for DLC, don't buy it. That's your choice. You aren't being robbed of anything. They are asking that the people who made it get paid for letting you play it. That's all.

You should ACTUALLY be happy they let you HAVE the content in the first place. Some games include rare items, weapons, or missions that the full game doesn't have with their LE or CE and players who buy the standard edition copies NEVER see or play with it, and NEVER get the OPTION to pay for it. At least Bioware is saying, "why not give it to everyone who wants it? Why make it exclusive at all?"

And guess what? In exchange for it not being "exclusive", the price of the LE was about $80 instead of the $100 some games charge.

You want to boycott Mass Effect 3... Fine. I don't really care. It's your choice. If you really don't want to play it over an optional $10, that's your decision. If you don't want to pay for the DLC, then don't do that either. Wait a couple years for a "price drop" like the content in Mass Effect 1. Or, wait for the GOTY edition that has ALL the DLC for $60.

Do whatever you think is fair.

UNLESS what you think is fair is being completely childish and stupid and whiny about the whole thing. You're essentially complaining that if you want content, you have to pay for it. That if you want content other players have already paid for, you must also pay for it. Yeah, I read that right. You're upset that YOU have to pay for content that OTHER PEOPLE already paid for when they ordered their Limited Edition copies of the game. Extra content and other stuff for "hardcore fans" and it costs $20 more.

Then you come along and think, "hey, if it was already working on Day One and they're going to offer it to everyone, it should actually be free and be shipped with the game! They're money grubbing!!!"

Uh, no. Don't be stupid. The content was never free to begin with and was a "bonus" to those who decided to shell out the extra cash for the super special awesome chocolately rainbow edition of Mass Effect 3. Extra stuff in the Limited Edition or Collector's Edition has always cost extra cash. And the extra content (in game or otherwise) has always been a "bonus" to loyal players. Bioware is just unique in that they LET THE FREEBIE PLAYERS PURCHASE CONTENT THAT SHOULD BE EXCLUSIVE to the players who paid for it to begin with and got their copies of the game preordered.

Pleeb, consider yourself lucky that Bioware is even NICE ENOUGH to let you get content that SHOULD BE exclusive to those of us who actually cared enough about the series to want the Limited Edition version.

You are left with two simple choices.

Buy it. Don't buy it.

I care not which. I only care that your reasoning is severely flawed and you've decided to air it in a public forum. The only reason you'd tell US about it, IS to start a flame war. There's no other reason. Why tell the people who spend their time on the Mass Effect 3 forum? Why not tell your friends that it's stupid? Why not update your facebook status? Why tell us about it? Because we LIKE Mass Effect 3, that's why. Because we WANT the content and DON'T MIND paying the extra cash for the content.

You came here SPECIFICALLY to start a flame war.

Obvious troll is VERY obvious.

If they are just charging $10 for an unlock code for something already on the disc then this topic would have merit. A lot of people don't seem to want to care or understand that the developers finish the game at least a month before it is released due to manufacturing, certification, etc. So, they have some down time between when the game is finished and when it is released. From what I've read this DLC is aporox 600mb. Seems to me like it is very likely this is content created after the game has been completed. People just like to whine and complain. Just my opinion though.

A lot of ppl are over-reacting about this...seriously what's the big deal...it's just a business strategy & it works. So what if they're doing it to make money...the economy isn't the best atm & they need money to make games we love. Look at the game companies who didn't have the money & had to shut down or lay off/fire ppl. It's your choice to buy it or not buy it...either way it won't change or effect the main game.

The point of this is the sheer money grabbing that is going on.

Games are cheap even with dlc like this.

My ME3 Collectors Edition is £60 and will give me at least 30+ hours of enjoyment. That's £2/Hour at most. More likely i'll get more than double that time out of it so it'll drop to <£1/Hr.

My local squash court now costs £5.20/ hour to hire. Local Cinema £5-10 per ticket, thats a minimum of £2.50/ Hour. The list goes on...

This day one DLC was made as a bonus after the normal dev cycle was finished. Before systems like xbox live there was nothing like it as there was no way to distribute it.

Even if they were spliting content they'd be well within their rights to do it. They're not misleading anyone, they're selling their work for the price they feel it's worth and being pretty clear about what's included and what's not.

People complaining about this are just cheap losers with an overblown sense of entitlement. Just buy the game, or don't if you think it's not good value to you. Stop making out that someone's trying to cheat you though!

People complaining about this are just cheap losers with an overblown sense of entitlement.

*looks over at PS3, 2 Xbox 360 consoles, 3DS and PS Vita*... nope, not cheap at all.

It's the principle. What should already be on the disc, they are releasing separately. I guarantee it, there is enough room on the disc to store this content, which would further prove what EA wanted.

Sad thing is I agree with a lot of things he says, especially with the idea of "buying power" as it's bullshit. However, the fact that he basically shits a brick because the day 1 DLC costs if you don't buy CE and for ME2 it was free if you bought new makes me lol. Sure it's bullshit, but it's the way it is. Fact is if he thinks his YouTube channel can convince a bunch of sheep to change their ways, he is delusional. A) He's not a chick and B) He's not that popular. Good luck with your boycott.

Edited by 13ip0lar