My Claw-only playthrough :)

DR4Z

So after spending over 100 hours PVPing now, I wanted to try and get back some of the feelings of the first playthrough so I decided to challenge myself to a Claw-only playthrough (all solo).

Note: After going double claw for about 10 minutes I realised that a shield was also necessary ha :)

I am currently 6 hours into the the playthrough and that includes 1 failed attempt at Seath the Scaleless.

Bosses left: Seath, 4 Kings, Gwyn :)

Looking at an 8-hour completion time....I'll update when done.

For this to be possible I did have to use the BB method to bring the claw to (almost) the start of the game. Here is a list of items I brought through:

- Claw (upgraded to +5 lightning before Smough and Ornstein)

- 1 Tit slab (to make the above possible)

- Shadow Armour (worn all the way until Anor Londo where I collected Havels set (I wear the leggings and Gauntlets)

That's it, I've tried to keep it as raw as possible.

Anyone else embarked on their own personal challenges on DS?

that sounds pretty cool only challenging thing im doing is playing as a sorceror im finding it tough especially against ornstein and smough because of my endurance is low but its ok though im not used to magic i mostly used melee weapons. out of intrest how long did it take you to do claw only?

• 2 months later...

I'm not even sure that's possible mate but I wish you all the best :)

Keep us updated if you decide to go with it.

Co-op 2 x sub SL10 players would be a good challenge....I might be up for that if you don't quite fancy the SL1 run

I got bored of melee and decided to play as a ranger using only bows and piercing swords and the rangers original armour. It's a very resfreshing playstyle but I'm hardly being strict with myself.

Get Avelyn and upgrade to +5 Lightning. Does incredible damage, and sometimes even one-shots players on PvP. Add Lightning Bolts as ammo, and you have yourself a mighty cannon. Just be careful when you shoot it, because you leave yourself open for quite a while, until you reload it.

Get Avelyn and upgrade to +5 Lightning. Does incredible damage, and sometimes even one-shots players on PvP. Add Lightning Bolts as ammo, and you have yourself a mighty cannon. Just be careful when you shoot it, because you leave yourself open for quite a while, until you reload it.

I dunno man, according to the wiki lightning bolts doesn't work with Avelyn.

"It can also be noted that the "Avelyn" does not work effectively with lightning bolts, it appears that the lightning effect does not work thus causing only the base damage with such bolts."

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/avelyn

Seems to me that the heavy crossbow flat out does more damage than the Avelyn. Of course I don't know about how the reload times compare as I never tried them, but even with it taken into consideration, all 3 bolts have to hit with the avelyn for it to do max dmg. if the wiki is correct in that each bolt does less damage than normal...

Edited by Mr Jinxed

I find myself much preferring bows to crossbows though, the instant firing capabilities are nice in close range and they look awesome but given the scaling of bows and larger range I much prefer them.

I can vouch that Avelyn with lightning upgrades and bolts makes sod all difference, it literally does base damage really. No lightning effect whatsoever.

That said I have seen Avelyn used to great effect in PvP and is not something to be ignored, the bolts move very fast and are reather difficult to dodge in decent range.

I find myself much preferring bows to crossbows though, the instant firing capabilities are nice in close range and they look awesome but given the scaling of bows and larger range I much prefer them.

I can vouch that Avelyn with lightning upgrades and bolts makes sod all difference, it literally does base damage really. No lightning effect whatsoever.

That said I have seen Avelyn used to great effect in PvP and is not something to be ignored, the bolts move very fast and are reather difficult to dodge in decent range.

Use the Redstone ring with low health, and you have yourself a glass cannon. Though stealth is key, because the bolts can be easily blocked.

• 1 month later...