slime spawns.

Does anyone know of a way to figure out where slimes will spawn? Right now I have a room that is 42x42x6 down at bedrock. I was hoping that would be big enough to give me a good chance but now that I think about it I think i'm going to have to make it a whole lot bigger. Any advice?

Thank you for all the replies, looks like i've got a lot of digging to do to hope I get lucky xD. We've already found an area that spawns them but we're not sure where. in the early days of our world me and my friends made this underground tunnel system for mining purposes. I guess we must have crossed into a slim chunk at one point but trying to run around in these tunnels looking for the spawn would be very tedious. Hopefully the new area I am digging up will be worth it.(even if no slimes 18 diamonds is fine by me xD)

I've had it pointed out to me that in Beta Version 1.6.6, Slime Chunks only exist in Layer 16 and below... not Layer 40 and below. The Layers didn't change until 1.9.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Slime#History

Before Beta 1.9 Pre-release 5, Slimes only appeared in the bottom 16 layers of the map regardless of light levels or time of day, often in large caverns or open mines.

I've been digging tunnels deep and I even did that when I played 1.8 and never found a single slime. do they only show up in larger caves? is their spawn effected by torches?

They are not affected by torches, they are the only hostile mob that is able to spawn in light. They also only spawn <Y40.

Also they only spawn 1/10th as often as the other hostile mobs so any areas around the area that are dark (light level 7 or below) will keep the slime spawning chances low as the other hostile mobs have a higher chance of spawning. Lighting these dark areas up will increase likelihood of slime spawns.

They are not affected by torches, they are the only hostile mob that is able to spawn in light. They also only spawn <Y40.

Also they only spawn 1/10th as often as the other hostile mobs so any areas around the area that are dark (light level 7 or below) will keep the slime spawning chances low as the other hostile mobs have a higher chance of spawning. Lighting these dark areas up will increase likelihood of slime spawns.

I've only been digging on the lowest levels, guess my tunnels just weren't big enough.

Random rnd = new Random(seed +

(long) (xPosition * xPosition * 0x4c1906) +

(long) (xPosition * 0x5ac0db) +

(long) (zPosition * zPosition) * 0x4307a7L +

(long) (zPosition * 0x5f24f) ^ 0x3ad8025f);

return rnd.nextInt(10) == 0;

To be honest I don't even understand this in the slightest way lol

To be honest I don't even understand this in the slightest way lol

its just a really long sum to define what "random" is with regards to the minecraft slime spawns

honestly it looks more complicated than it is basically its 2 variables per axis, if all of them are correct at the co ordinates of that chunk then theres slimes there and its done with the "seed" variable there to make it change per seed so that its not the same in every world.

making it hard to work out but not impossible though youd have to write some sort of program to detect it (theres quite alot available but the best was already posted so i didnt bother)