DLC: Which to buy; Which to pass.

Kontonno

So, the holidays allowed me to purchase Sleeping Dogs brand new for twenty dollars. I popped it in, installed it and went to see what DLC there was. Turns out there is a LOT of downloadable content. I'm not sure what's worth buying and what isn't so I figured I would ask everyone here.

The Ghost Pig Pack

The Community Gift Pack

The Dragon Master Pack

Square Enix Character Pack

The Tactical Soldier Pack

The Drunken Fist Pack

The Screen Legends Pack

Gangland Style Pack

The SWAT Pack

Top Dog Gold Pack

The Deep Undercover Pack

The Martial Arts Pack

The Police Protection Pack

The Triad Enforcer Pack

Top Dog Silver Pack

The High Roller Pack

The GSP Pack

The Street Racer Pack

The Red Envelope

Retro Triad Pack

Nightmare In North Point and The Zodiac Tournament Pack are a given. I plan to purchase those but of the other DLCs available. Which are worth spending MS points on and what are the opinions about them?

Edited by Kontonno
Adding more DLC pack names and options

Well, the Ghost Pig and Community Packs are free, so go for it.

The Top Dog Gold and Silver packs are cheap and will raise your Cop, Face and Triad experience. Gold more than Silver, obviously and they stack. I dunno about everyone else, but I found Triad XP really hard to come by...

The Police Protection pack adds an on-rails side mission where you get to shoot the tires of pursuing criminal vehicles. Was pretty ho-hum, in my opinion, got it for free with the pre-order tho'.

The Red Envelope Pack places $1,000,000 divided into 20 $50,000 envelopes hidden all over the city. Didn't really have trouble obtaining cash, so I didn't get this one.

The Street Racer pack adds a few more races (imagine that!) but I didn't care much for the racing, so I passed on this as well.

All the rest are just costume packs. Sure some of them add different boosts to stats and XP gains, but they are largely cosmetic. With the exception of the Drunken Fist Pack which adds the drunken fighting style while Wei is wearing it, but again, this is largely a cosmetic enhancement.

So you'll really have to peruse the costume ones yourself to make sure you really want them.

I bought the Square Enix costume pack and it was total waste. I think I tried every costume on in about 60 seconds, then realized none of them gave any useful multipliers. You're better off just collecting money and buying clothes at the shop.

I also bought the Gold pack and it was much more useful. As soon as it was downloaded I loaded up the game and got several achievements for Triad and Cop levels. It's kinda like EA's time saver pack. If you're not interested in doing all the missions again for respect then buy the Gold or Silver pack.

In all honesty if I could do it all over again I would have saved those 400pts and bought DOOM II.

• 2 weeks later...

I think these dudes have it right. The XP packs might be worth it for the gold and silver achievements. There is a discount pack, 640 MS points, that includes about 2000 points worth of add-ons. I believe this one has the XP, it's called the discount pack. ** Make sure to check the details on that one, I haven't bought it yet myself. **

The story-related ones are the ones to get, especially if you like achievements. That's one thing I disliked about Sleeping Dogs - I thought the story went too quick, and the other things, like doing events and jobs, took too long.

Maybe if they added a special challenge, for example, a pack that adds a tournament for 1) cleanest drive 2) longest car jump 3) longest bike jump and so on and so forth. People are constantly uploading their scores to the hub, a pack like this would only add to the fun.

• 4 weeks later...

only two are worthwile, with achievements

Nightmare in North Point (on sale till march 18)

Year of the Snake (560 msp)

also The Triad Enforcer Pack (120 msp) can be worth it if you need more triad xp

The rest is bullshit. don't buy stuff like that, you'll only encourage dev's to do more stuff like that.

The rest is bullshit. don't buy stuff like that, you'll only encourage dev's to do more stuff like that.

Too true. I just bought the game (Games on Demand FTW) and I had a look through to see what may be worth a look. Just like Saints Row: The Third, most of the add-ons is crap that should of been in the game in the first place.

Too true. I just bought the game (Games on Demand FTW) and I had a look through to see what may be worth a look. Just like Saints Row: The Third, most of the add-ons is crap that should of been in the game in the first place.

I know, they're just stupid. Stuff like that I just ignore and point and laugh at the sucker who bought them, because they're just feeding the dev money.

• 2 weeks later...

Northpoint and Year of the Snake. The rest are just Barbie Doll Dress-Up for Sleeping Dogs. I did get the one that had Deus Ex and Hitman in them because I loved the way they looked and it was on sale (less than 200 pts).

Northpoint is kinda fun actually. Gave that Thriller vibe. Had a lot of potential just short.

Year of the Snake is fun but overall short as well. Lot of potential with the cultists.

• 3 months later...
Well, the Ghost Pig and Community Packs are free, so go for it.

The Top Dog Gold and Silver packs are cheap and will raise your Cop, Face and Triad experience. Gold more than Silver, obviously and they stack. I dunno about everyone else, but I found Triad XP really hard to come by...

The Police Protection pack adds an on-rails side mission where you get to shoot the tires of pursuing criminal vehicles. Was pretty ho-hum, in my opinion, got it for free with the pre-order tho'.

The Red Envelope Pack places $1,000,000 divided into 20 $50,000 envelopes hidden all over the city. Didn't really have trouble obtaining cash, so I didn't get this one.

The Street Racer pack adds a few more races (imagine that!) but I didn't care much for the racing, so I passed on this as well.

All the rest are just costume packs. Sure some of them add different boosts to stats and XP gains, but they are largely cosmetic. With the exception of the Drunken Fist Pack which adds the drunken fighting style while Wei is wearing it, but again, this is largely a cosmetic enhancement.

So you'll really have to peruse the costume ones yourself to make sure you really want them.

I bought the top dog GOLD pack before I started playing the game....how do I know I have them in game? I don't see any difference, but I don't really know where to look :p