Its no GTA

Acejunky

I only encountered 2 glitches, one was hilarious, one not so funny as it was almost gamebreaking, but those aside the game was amazing, I actually would throw it up there with Saints Row and GTA and am gutted it's over now.

2 glitches I had was during a mission at the hospital where you have to escape from there. The guy is supposed to drive the car while you shoot, but he refused to drive, the only way I could pass the mission was to shoot all the cops and try and force the guy down the road with another car out of the radar of the cops, took me 2 hours to beat a 2minute section.

The other glitch which happened to me a lot actually was hilrious, during some speech sections with Favours, or Story people, a random car would run me over and fling me down the road, but the guy I WAS talking to still talked to me even though I wasn't there. I was down the road wrapped round a tree, and my guy carried on talking like nothing happened.

I have to agree that Sleeping Dogs is a little short, mission-wise.

But then GTA IV was just too fuckin' long.

If they'd gotten somewhere between the 30 missions in Sleeping Dogs and the 94(!) in GTAIV that would've worked quite nicely.

Y'know, like Red Dead Redemption had 57 missions? That was just right...

I'm quite a big fan of the shooter elements in sandbox games like GTA and Saints Row. I've played a little of the demo and found it focused largely on the martial arts (admittedly I only played a few minutes as I was pressed for time) It reminded me a bit of the Batman games.

My question - how intensive is the martial arts element for combat? Will I find the shooter in me unsatisfied and disappointed?

For myself I would say sleeping dogs had better gunplay, melee (obviously lol), better missions, better map design/city, better characters, better movement and better driving.

Whereas GTA4 had the better graphics for the time (it is a few years old now), better music and radio stations (they have the money) and better length (wish there were a few more main missions in SD).

However I think it's important to remember this is their first attempt at an open world game and basically their first big budget, big promotion game. It's pretty amazing considering that. I think I preferred it overall to GTA. The gameplay being better just makes a huge difference. Really satisfying melee combat and the gun slow mo stuff is great. Riding a bike at full speed, jumping off and letting it go flying into a group of people while you shoot at them in mid-air is just awesome.

Also I preferred the city in SD to GTA4 by a huge margin. SD is basically a redesigned Hong Kong. But it's actually really well designed. It seems pretty big but actually the map is fairly small as there is a big chunk of nothing in the middle. But that big chunk is used for two of the best racing roads. Then the 4 little districts have their own feelings North point being the lower class, kennedy the upper class, central the financial/clubbing area and aberdeen the middle class.

Whereas in GTA 4 I was just sick of games set in New York. Was talking about this with my friend earlier. Spider-man 2+3, GTA4 (3 and LCS were also iirc), prototype, True crime: NYC etc. If it's not NY then most open world games are still set in American cities. It gets a bit much. It was nice to play a game with just a totally different feeling to the city (Yakuza series is good for this too but is a VERY different type of open world).

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Of course it's not GTA, it's Sleeping Dogs. :confused:

The game is excellent so far. Camera can be a pain and the shooting is a bit poo, but everything else is top draw.

Exactly this, definitely not a fan of the camera but it's a great game.

Edited by staindsoul413

For myself I would say sleeping dogs had better gunplay, melee (obviously lol), better missions, better map design/city, better characters, better movement and better driving.

Whereas GTA4 had the better graphics for the time (it is a few years old now), better music and radio stations (they have the money) and better length (wish there were a few more main missions in SD).

However I think it's important to remember this is their first attempt at an open world game and basically their first big budget, big promotion game. It's pretty amazing considering that. I think I preferred it overall to GTA. The gameplay being better just makes a huge difference. Really satisfying melee combat and the gun slow mo stuff is great. Riding a bike at full speed, jumping off and letting it go flying into a group of people while you shoot at them in mid-air is just awesome.

Also I preferred the city in SD to GTA4 by a huge margin. SD is basically a redesigned Hong Kong. But it's actually really well designed. It seems pretty big but actually the map is fairly small as there is a big chunk of nothing in the middle. But that big chunk is used for two of the best racing roads. Then the 4 little districts have their own feelings North point being the lower class, kennedy the upper class, central the financial/clubbing area and aberdeen the middle class.

Whereas in GTA 4 I was just sick of games set in New York. Was talking about this with my friend earlier. Spider-man 2+3, GTA4 (3 and LCS were also iirc), prototype, True crime: NYC etc. If it's not NY then most open world games are still set in American cities. It gets a bit much. It was nice to play a game with just a totally different feeling to the city (Yakuza series is good for this too but is a VERY different type of open world).

Agreed. The melee system in SD is unparalleled. In GTA I try to avoid it as it feels really clunky, but here it's actually really smooth, and I prefer it over gunfights. And you're right, even the gunfights are pretty cool with the slow-motion. I actually hate the shooting system in GTA as well due to the auto-aim, though I know now that it can be turned off.

I've found the driving to be a bit clunky in SD though. GTA seemed a lot more refined in that regard. It's just the way cars could suddenly move at 30 kmh from a standstill, and how other vehicles on the road could come to a dead stop suddenly, which made it feel like the game was having problems. On the other hand, being able to hijack vehicles from a vehicle whilst in motion is pretty awesome.

A couple years back I had played Ninja Gaiden II, Prototype, GTA IV and Crysis II. All based in New York, New York, New York, or at least had a level in it. GTA V took us to Los Angeles, but it's still the US. It was nice to play somewhere else for a change. During the opening sequence I couldn't help spying the lights show of the Bank of China in the background, which made me wonder if it was supposed to be Hong Kong rather than a fictional city. Overall the rendition of the island isn't too bad, given how small the map is, though it's a little weird not seeing the lights of Kowloon peninsula across the harbour, even if it was just an image map. A lot of the areas are heavily compressed; North Point is actually Tin Hau to Chai Wan, Central district is from Sheung Wan to Causeway Bay, Kennedy Town is from Kennedy Town to Pok Fu Lam, and Aberdeen encompasses Aberdeen, Wong Chuk Hang and Ap Lei Chau (called Aberdeen Island in the game). Despite that, many of the landmarks and roads are still accurate enough to be recognisable.

Or to put it more succinctly:

Sleeping Dogs is vastly superior to any GTA game (though I will always love the PS2 generation), and in many many ways.

:p

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think this game reaches any standards whatsoever when comparing to GTA which is sad seeing as this is 4 years newer than the last GTA game.

Thats because GTA cost hundreds of millions of dollars to develop. SD probably cost about 1% of that to make so you really can't compare the two, apart that they're both the same genre games.

Anyways, I found this to be a very fun game, albeit far too short and easy. The melee combat in this game was better than GTA Ithought.

There will never be another GTA like Vice City....ever!

Not sure if anyone ever played True Crimes on ps2 back then as well. Sleeping Dogs seemed more like True Crimes than anything (in a good way).

Anyway, I love Sleeping Dogs. I did not think I was going to like it as much as I did. Camera can be a bit annoying sometimes, but not enough to ruin gameplay for me.

• 3 weeks later...
There will never be another GTA like Vice City....ever!

Not sure if anyone ever played True Crimes on ps2 back then as well. Sleeping Dogs seemed more like True Crimes than anything (in a good way).

Anyway, I love Sleeping Dogs. I did not think I was going to like it as much as I did. Camera can be a bit annoying sometimes, but not enough to ruin gameplay for me.

It actually started off being developed as True Crime: Hong Kong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Dogs_(video_game)#Development

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Op f ccourse it is not Gta. If it was it would be a copy cat. I hate when people judge Saints row and this game with a Gta gavil. I love Gta I have been a fan of every third person view Gta since 2002 but Sr and Sleeping dogs are their own thing. Sleeping dogs is True Crime 3 fact. I loved that series cause you played as an undercover cop and could follow the rules or bend them when needed. Saints row is more gang and fun factor centered. I love how Sleeping dogs is like Bruce Lee meets modern Hong Kong. There are so many homages to Lee in this game even the main character Wei is similar to Bruce.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...