Anyone having this issue? Safe combo.

So I get to the point in the game that requires Guybrush to input the storekeeper's safe combination. I watch his little scene various times to make sure I'm getting the code right on paper, so many times I even have it memorized. When it's time to input it - hell, it's a horrible way to input it - I get the 'error' sound at the third digit/direction. I'm absolutely sure I have the code right, but I can't get the vault open!

Is anyone having a similar issue? I'm almost to the point of starting the game over.

Your probaly pulling or phusing when you should be doing the opposit, terrible controls on that one indeed, try googleing for a walktrough as there are plenty of em wich will give you the exact sequence.

*Edited* Think its pull 3 times, push 5, pull, push or vise versa. Good luck

Edited by Jedi Howard

So I get to the point in the game that requires Guybrush to input the storekeeper's safe combination. I watch his little scene various times to make sure I'm getting the code right on paper, so many times I even have it memorized. When it's time to input it - hell, it's a horrible way to input it - I get the 'error' sound at the third digit/direction. I'm absolutely sure I have the code right, but I can't get the vault open!

Is anyone having a similar issue? I'm almost to the point of starting the game over.

The pull/push mechanic can be a little finiky too! i found it easier to switch to classic mode and do it that way

It's completely random each time, just save it as he begins to turn the handle and watch it through a few times. Anti-Clockwise = Pull, Clockwise = Push.

Just a quick question regarding this though, do you HAVE to open the safe ?

Yes, getting a credit slip is the only way to get a boat

The "smart B system" of doing the obvious action does, basically, repeat the last action. So, if you want to pull 4 times, you select in the menu pull once, and B then will be used as "pull". If you change, B will change.

Also, confirmed on my 2nd playthrough that the combination is random.

I'm busy with my speed run now (still got a couple of achievements to go), haven't gotten to the safe yet (had to pause for dinner, decided to check the forums). On my first run through, though, the safe combination was 14 moves - 4 push, 4 pull, 4 push, 2 pull. Wheee.

In my first playthrough there were 12 moves to open the safe but when doing my speed run playthrough there were only 9 moves to do.

Anyone else get that.

10 moves in the first run (4 alternating directions)

12 moves in the second (4 alternating directions, too)

Also, do I remember correctly that it was a timed input? as in if you didn't do it in 1-2 minutes, he would come back?

10 moves in the first run (4 alternating directions)

12 moves in the second (4 alternating directions, too)

Also, do I remember correctly that it was a timed input? as in if you didn't do it in 1-2 minutes, he would come back?

Not to sure, i never let it go that far, i just reloaded the save if i had a problem :p.

It's a little confusing, but when changing direction, use A the first time and B subsequent times until changing direction again. You may mess up a couple times, but it won't be much of a problem on a speed run if you're doing the rest with some degree of competency.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...