My one word for this game....

Opiate42

Lazy.

Someone at Buka has been studying his Valve games.

I just started MorphX up and so far it's not terrible to play but my first impressions are that it's more than just a redundant and derivative game...it borrows so blatantly from Half Life 2 it's almost sad. Why write new stuff when you can just lift from other games?

The bipedal enemies are carbon copies of Vortigaunts, even the sound effects are lifted straight from HL2. The squeaks the red bugs you boot are the headcrab sounds is just one example that stands clearly out in the first level.

Haven't even finished the first level yet but it DOES make me want to go back and play the Orange Box again :p

As for the rest, enemy AI is non-existent. Soldiers stand up and shoot you, move a few steps and shoot some more. No semblance of tactics or cover. Very basic movement patterns and actions. Reminds me of very early PC shooters, very very early PC shooters...like Spear of Destiny with slightly better graphics.

The soldiers themselves look almost identical to the troops in the first Half Life that were sent in to clear out Black Mesa. But soldiers are soldiers, in shooters there's only so much room for variation I guess.

Story, well what there is of one is pretty terrible and any dialogue is plain and stupid. Short spurts of words that convey nothing at all.

One good thing though is that damage boxes and hit detection seem to be adequate, or at least so far.... When you aim and fire you actually hit, not like Shellshock 2 where a headshot at point blank range somehow misses by a yard.

I do also like how a soldier will simply explode into red mist and chunks when you use a shotgun at close range, that must be one hell of a shotgun! Close-quarter shotgun ownage is fun no matter what game you're playing though.

Glad it was only $5, that's about all the effort the Devs at Buka put into it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My word is: dark. I'm only on level two, trying not to die, and there are times where I have no f'n clue where to go. Switching to alien view is rarely a step up, jumping is extremely awkward, and there isn't even an option to adjust the brightness. Say what you want to about Shellshock 2, and Lord knows I have, but at least that game's brightness could be tinkered with.

I'm also wondering why I have yet to hear anything close to a Russian accent. Isn't this supposed to be set in Moscow? That's worse than Sophitia from the Soul Calibur series being from Greece yet speaking perfect Japanese.

For that matter, why are the soldiers attacking the main character? Yeah, I get that he's altered and all, but how do they know it? Why are they shooting at him rather than Cloverfield as it's in the middle of tearing the city and the soldiers apart? Why shoot at the main character rather than the little alien running around ripping shit among the soldier's squad?

Why do health packs and health biomass things give you so little energy back?

Why introduce the wrench, pipe, bat, and katana in quick succession like that if there's nothing to use them on? All it's good for is that one achievement that makes completionists think, "Oh shit, I'm committed now."

What were they thinking?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...