Ending Discussion Thread - All other threads will be deleted!

The Pants Party

How do you feel about the ending?  

471 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the ending?

• I love it.
    • I like it as-is.
    • I like the indoctrination theory.
    • I like it, but the lack of closure bothers me.
    • I dislike it, but I may like it with some elaboration and clarification.
    • I dislike it, and hope they make a new ending.
    • I dislike it, and believe the indoctrination theory.
    • I hate it.

Or, logically speaking, he could be bisexual. Because that is a thing, even in guys. He couldn't be considered gay anyways, he had a thing for a girl in that biotic class he was in well before he met Shepard.

I don't really buy the whole bisexual thing, but either way I doubt he's meant to be bisexual in the canon. As for the girl, lots of gays date people of the opposite sex earlier in their lives.

My point is that there are story/origin differences based on the way you play the game, and it isn't adhering to a single objective reality, therefore Bioware could have implemented endings which reflected that.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I finally finished the game, and therefore, the trilogy.

Enjoyed it all, to be fair. Although I think I would have accepted the 'star child' entity part more if it had been a shiny mess of a glyph, similar to what the VI in Thessia resembles before taking the form of a Prothean, instead of taking the form of a child.

Why?

And to show how much of an impact the whole ending thing had on me, I had already forgotten what was said about the Destroy ending come the slide show, but I'm positive that during discussion about this option, I got the vibe that BioWare could possibly pull a trick out of the bag with the inclusion of Leviathan. I'll need to replay, just to make sure I wasn't kidding myself...

Ah well. It's either back to Skyrim, or maybe I'll even play Dragon Age 2 finally and marvel at another fantastic installment from BioWare.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished for the first time the other day, and I felt the ending fell apart only in the final cutscene. The final charge and everything was pretty cool, ignoring how the illusive man teleported to you, but the thing that bothered me is there weren't REALLY multiple endings. I went for the synergy one, then looked the other two up on youtube and the only difference was the colour of the explosion.

But meh, Bioware wanted to end their game their way, the serious issue was that what youd done in the last three games didnt really count for anything. For such an awesome trilogy based on player choice, it just seems strange that they'd take that away at the moment all mass effect fans have been waiting for.

I saved the extended cut for my 2nd playthrough on insanity so I could see what all the fuss was about with the original endings, so I'm hoping that cleans it up a little. But at the end of the day, its an amazing game, even if it did fall apart at the end, which tbf isn't too surprising for Bioware. I love all their games, but their end game can often be fairly weak

I just finished it for the first time with extended cut intlstalled, and picked the destroy ending with over 5000 assets.

I likes the ending. I have seen the others, anllbut I felt the destroy ending fit mass effect.

humanity is preserved (the goal of all 3 games). But with this ending, free will is preserved, with the only losses synthetic (not real life).

And, my Shepard is alive!

Overall, I liked it. I did feel that the destroy ending is the only you've Shepard would make. Either renegade or paragon, over the three games we've learnt who he is. He wouldnt sacrifice free will. Ever. so sythisis is out. I also don't think he'd choose control, he fought it for so long. Thoughts?

However, if someone could pm me how the from ashes and leviathan dlc fit into the story (im guessing they take place before the ending and therefore have no real impact) thatd be appreciated.

Edited by Lavindathar

So, I delayed downloading the "extended cut" of the game until I finished and got to see the original ending. (Yah, I started way late and only beat the game a couple days ago) and now that I've seen the original ending and the extended cut ending, I have to say... the original was way better. But the thing to keep in mind is not that the original was so negative, but that it showed the cost of such a victory over such an all consuming and destroying enemy.

The original showed that for such a major victory, there was a huge price to be paid and not just by Commander Shepard. The cost of the the was was bore by the whole galaxy, and not just one man. Sure Shepard loses his love interest. What does it matter really? In an instant, the galaxy became infinitely small again due to the destruction of the relays. Because of this, the other races will never see the bulk of their fighting forces again. Their warriors and heroes are now nothing more than stories and legends. The Sol system suddenly gained (depending on how you played) all of the known "mature" sentient races. Of course, they are all now forever lost to their home worlds. They can, however, rest easy knowing that the price they paid secured the freedom and survival of their homes.

I think that alone was probably the most epic and meaningful of endings that could have happened (until the DLC). This is the ending I would have prefered they stuck with. Now, because people cannot deal with sadness mixing with their happy ending, there was NO cost to the galaxy. All of it goes back to the way it was. The relays get rebuilt, Shepards woman/man returns and only Shepard disappears (unless you went with the "perfect ending" which was complete garbage and should have been the 2nd best option) That cut scene after credits? WAY less meaningful now. Even pointless. (unless you chose the new option and got the new end of credits cut scene. Which was amazing all by itself, and would have been an even better and more EPIC ending, though it would have been met with MORE hate than the original)

The end of credits cut scene implied that the return to the stars (the distant ones... the far off ones... the ones not reachable without centuries of travel due to the loss of the relays) was still a work in progress. It implied that even though the war had been won, and the tale had lived on long enough to have lost many details, humanity was returned to where it was before it had the relays. Though curiously, it seems to also imply that every single alien left with their fleets to begin the long haul home. This just added to the bittersweet ending.

The choice really is: Epic ending that shows the immense cost of the war and it's victory, or the same old ending you've seen from every other game.

Side note:

The "REAL" best ending was taking control of the Reapers and not destroying the newly individualized Geth and EDI. In this ending, Shepard essentially ascends, and doesn't die. He becomes "one" with what this game presents as a "god," though he loses all connection with what he was. In this ending, ALL life is preserved, with the cost being that the rest of the galaxy is now unreachable and the various populations made drastically smaller.

and for Bahroo

Honestly, I did expect the first response to that thread to be either some random jackhole who didn't read, or some random jackhole trolling for stupidity's sake. Congrats, you hit both. Why respond? Wait, I know, internet anonymity provides for the ability to be a complete douche without consequence. Check.

But you're right about this thread. I did a quick scan of the forum and missed it, so I moved it here. Doesn't negate that you're a douche.

Edited by Finite Reign

and for Bahroo

Honestly, I did expect the first response to that thread to be either some random jackhole who didn't read, or some random jackhole trolling for stupidity's sake. Congrats, you hit both. Why respond? Wait, I know, internet anonymity provides for the ability to be a complete douche without consequence. Check.

But you're right about this thread. I did a quick scan of the forum and missed it, so I moved it here. Doesn't negate that you're a douche.

I'm an uncaring asshole not a douche. There is a difference.

So... I finished the Leviathan DLC, but I'm too lazy to end the game again. What does the trio of Leviathans change? Or is it the same ending with a few extra dialog scenes?

Check the spoiler tag for the answer to your question. :)

[spoiler=end]It adds an extra dialogue option with the Catalyst confirming that the Leviathans were the Apex Species/their creators. And that it (the Catalyst) turned them (the Leviathans) into the first Reaper. (Which we now have confirmation was Harbinger.)

Check the spoiler tag for the answer to your question. :)

[spoiler=end]It adds an extra dialogue option with the Catalyst confirming that the Leviathans were the Apex Species/their creators. And that it (the Catalyst) turned them (the Leviathans) into the first Reaper. (Which we now have confirmation was Harbinger.)

http://files-cdn.formspring.me/photos/20120810/n5025c3253d8d1.jpg

Well that sucks. I guess a "better" ending with more closure and explanation is too much to ask... BioWare didn't build the franchise, nor did EA or any other publisher that was involved in ME universe. We did. The players of this trilogy. And in my opinion we deserve a better ending, that we the fans of the game desire. I'm still hoping for a DLC that gives us more, but I'm not sure that that will come.

Though I'm pretty sure that Mass Effect 4 will still feature Shepard and his crew. At least that's what the "Destroy" ending w/ Extended Cut shows us.

Well that sucks. I guess a "better" ending with more closure and explanation is too much to ask... BioWare didn't build the franchise, nor did EA or any other publisher that was involved in ME universe. We did. The players of this trilogy. And in my opinion we deserve a better ending, that we the fans of the game desire. I'm still hoping for a DLC that gives us more, but I'm not sure that that will come.

Though I'm pretty sure that Mass Effect 4 will still feature Shepard and his crew. At least that's what the "Destroy" ending w/ Extended Cut shows us.

I agree we should have gotten a better set of endings. The Extended Cut made them bearable, but they are far from ideal. I'd love to see another game with Shepard and his squad. But unfortunately BioWare has already said this will be the end of Shepard's story. There will definitely be more Mass Effect games. That's confirmed by the devs, but it will feature a different protagonist. I'm fine with that honestly. As long as they move forward with the series and not waste our time with stupid prequels, I'll be happy.

• 2 weeks later...
BioWare didn't build the franchise, nor did EA or any other publisher that was involved in ME universe. We did. The players of this trilogy.

Honestly this is 1 of the most ignorant statements I have ever seen n I respectfully disagree. We the players did not contribute to the writing, producing, editing or directing of this franchise. You wouldn't even have a mass effect game to complain about if it wasn't for bioware. N b4 u bring up any sale #'s, no 1 forced you or any1 else to purchase any of these games. No matter how any1 feels this is biowares work. You're statement is implying that every franchise or any game for that matter on the market was build by we the players. Maybe some fan feedback is taken into consideration when developing the 2nd n 3rd game but it is still the devs work. You n every1 else has every right to not like the way the game ended as that's you're right but you don't get to say how it should end. For that you need to go to school n get a degree in video game development n make your own games n then you can dictate how it starts n finishes. Maybe deal with some "fans" like yaself n see how that works out for you.

I know the main complaint is the ending, but seriously, when Shepherd speaks to the Catalyst, he admits that his equation for balancing Chaos by eradicating organic life at its peak was now out dated after witnessing Shepherd bringing orgainics and synthetics together.

So in order to make a new equation to balance this he gives you the choice to destroy, control or merge with Reapers/Synths.

I know bioware debunked the IT but to me that's how the ending plays out. Choosing anything other then destroy is my shepard being indoctrinated. The catalyst gives you the option to destroy 1st then attempts to cloud you're judgement with control n then synthesis.The way he explains synthesis is similar to what saren says to you on the citadel at the end of ME1-

Saren: "Organic n machine intertwined. A union between flesh n steel. The strengths of both n the weaknesses of neither. I am a vision of the future shepard. The evolution of all organic life. This is our destiny. Join us n experience a true rebirth."

Catalyst: "Organics seek perfection through technology, synthetics seek perfection through understanding. Organics will be perfected by intergrating fully with synthetic technology. Synthetics in turn will finally have full understanding of organics. It is the ideal solution."

After hearing the catalyst say this i immediately thought of saren saying "The strengths of both n the weaknesses of neither."

Edited by VELVETxASSASSIN

I bought the original many years ago, tried to get into it twice but never got anywhere, so I left it on the shelf gathering dust until a few months ago. I bunged it on the off chance, and suddenly it all clicked and I became hooked. I played all three games, exploring most of the side missions and classes, and made it all the way through to the end with a female mostly paragon Shepherd without knowing what would happen, which I'm quite proud of. As for the controversy surrounding the ending

I was expecting the worst, thinking it might end mid attack a la Halo 2. Instead I was more bemused, but the more I thought about it, the more annoyed I got. After spending at least 120 hours on that character alone, the fact she died didn't bother me too much, but the massive plot holes and lack of closure did. It didn't tell you a single thing about almost all of your squadmates, and the Normandy landing on another planet made no sense whatsoever. The only way that could have happened is if they fled the battle before the mass relay was blown up (which they specifically stated before would destroy entire systems). With technology destroyed presumably that massive allied fleet I'd assembled was either wiped out as well, or stranded with no way to get home.

Speaking of that, what was the point of asset building? I spent hours doing it in the hope of seeing Elcors going into battle, massive Korgan armies making bloodrage charges and fighting side by side with Blue Suns mercs. Instead, the final scenes are 90% human. The big twist is synthetics and organics cannot live in harmony so must be destroyed in cycles - except the entire point of the trilogy is getting different races to unite. In fact, everything from entering the Citadel again seems to have been written by a completely different set of people.

So I downloaded the extended cut and chose the "blue" ending again, which it must be said is a vast improvement and ties up the Normandy and mass relay plot holes (well, aside from the fact James magically teleported from London to the Normandy), as well as giving some closure and hope for the future. Although surely the Stargazer scene is redundant now the Normandy didn't settle on that planet? That said, since he's voice by Buzz Aldrin it makes that character awesome by default. Also not quite sure how that is 1.8gb of ending, but never mind.

That aside, what a brilliant game, and indeed trilogy. Yes it did get dumbed down slightly after the first game, and I must have been about the only person who actually liked the Mako sections, since it gave you a sense of exploring an unknown world. The main strength is the excellent writing, which gave you plenty of characters you care about and an enemy that you hate. As it builds up to the final confrontation it really does give you a feeling of what is at stake, and you're the person who can make the difference. After putting so much effort into the games for the last few months, I'll even admit to getting a bit emotional at the ending as saying goodbye to Shepherd I'd spent nearly 150 hours with (on that character alone)

In many ways it encapsulates everything good and bad about the current generation of gaming. On the plus side you have epic scope, beautiful graphics and sound, strong writing and mature themes. On the other, day one DLC, making the second and third games more mainsteam, including a pointless marketing cameo in Diana Allers, and an initially rushed ending that did nothing but anger a loyal fanbase.

(well, aside from the fact James magically teleported from London to the Normandy)

Nothing magical about it, the Extended Cut had an entire cutscene dedicated to showing the squadmates returning to the Normandy. It happens before you reach the Conduit, so if you reloaded an autosave there then you missed it.

Nothing magical about it, the Extended Cut had an entire cutscene dedicated to showing the squadmates returning to the Normandy. It happens before you reach the Conduit, so if you reloaded an autosave there then you missed it.

But that only shows the two squadmates that were with shepherd not the rest of them. I'm assuming that James was the one who told Joker to leave shepherd behind when the crucible was firing, and Negative Creep was wondering how he got there as he wasn't one of the two that were extracted. Am I right or at least close?

But that only shows the two squadmates that were with shepherd not the rest of them. I'm assuming that James was the one who told Joker to leave shepherd behind when the crucible was firing, and Negative Creep was wondering how he got there as he wasn't one of the two that were extracted. Am I right or at least close?

That could be what he was saying, but I doubt it considering that was never considered a plothole prior to Extended Cut. It's generally assumed that all of the squadmates you don't bring with you during part two of Priority Earth returned to the Normandy.

• 4 weeks later...

I was satisfied with the ending to the series but was confused by the reversed paragon/renegade options making me enjoy the indoctrination theory as well. The leaked ending also had some merit and I would have been happy with that also. What I'm not happy with is that my favourite game series is also loved by some of the most ungrateful whingy cry babies concievable. I enjoyed every minute of the series and loved the story Bioware crafted for me. I am just ashamed to be lumped with all these complaining sheep that can't accept a games conclusion gracefully.