Microsoft Passed on Heavy Rain...

iBuzz7S

With a metascore of 87, Microsoft would be kicking themselves.

Heavy Rain director and Quantic Dream studio co-founder David Cage has revealed that Microsoft turned down publishing the game on the platform, suggesting that "they didn't want the scandal" of being associated with a game with child abduction as a central theme.

The news came as part of Cage's presentation at the BAFTA Annual Games Lecture being held in London, as reported by Polygon. According to the outspoken French developer, while the Xbox creator "really loved Fahrenheit" and "really wanted to do something with us", the two couldn't come together on the developer's next project, with the pair philosophically opposed.

Could of been something really unique. Some say the game is overrated and the characters were boring as shit, but each to their own.

Source: http://au.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-passed-on-heavy-rain-due-to-games-child-kidnapping-themes-6414028

I'm not a PS3 owner, but a lot of my friends are. I constantly tell them, if I do get a PS3 later down the line, it will be to play the Uncharted Trilogy, The Show, and Heavy Rain.

I've been very interested to play Heavy Rain for a long time, watched videos of it online, and heard rave reviews from more than one person. To me it seems like a cross between Condemned and LA Noire in style of play, which appeals to me majorly.

Too bad Microsoft dropped the ball on this one, I would have been thrilled to have this game come to Xbox.

I'm not a PS3 owner, but a lot of my friends are. I constantly tell them, if I do get a PS3 later down the line, it will be to play the Uncharted Trilogy, The Show, and Heavy Rain.

I've been very interested to play Heavy Rain for a long time, watched videos of it online, and heard rave reviews from more than one person. To me it seems like a cross between Condemned and LA Noire in style of play, which appeals to me majorly.

Too bad Microsoft dropped the ball on this one, I would have been thrilled to have this game come to Xbox.

It intrigued me when it came out, I don't think many people in the community associated it first with Child abduction though. Just remember guys every body get one, just like spider man said.

Also The Show is very fun to play much better than the Xbox equivalent.

Beyond will be epic too so MS really were idiotic.

Yeah, it's too bad MS ended up turning down Quantic Dream. If they didn't show the hand then, maybe we would've seen Beyond: Two Souls on the 360.

Metal Gear Solid 4, Journey, Beyond and Infamous are the only games that really interest me on the PS3, but I don't want to purchase one just so I can play those few games on it.

I'm really excited for Beyond though, I plan on buying it for a friend as his birthday comes later in the week when Beyond is released. I'll sit down and watch him play, heh. Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe = awesome!

Might as well rename Microsoft to microstakes or massive mistakes for that matter..

I haven't played Heavy Rain myself, but I have watched my brother play it for an hour or two. For little I have seen, the game looks amazing and what of I can remember, the gameplay mechanics are great too. But the story is what makes the game shines to the extent it does. I would absolutely love to play or see of more the game.

Microsoft defintely made a massive mistake by not caplitzing on the chance of publishing Heavy Rain on their console.

Yeah, it's too bad MS ended up turning down Quantic Dream. If they didn't show the hand then, maybe we would've seen Beyond: Two Souls on the 360.

Metal Gear Solid 4, Journey, Beyond and Infamous are the only games that really interest me on the PS3, but I don't want to purchase one just so I can play those few games on it.

I'm really excited for Beyond though, I plan on buying it for a friend as his birthday comes later in the week when Beyond is released. I'll sit down and watch him play, heh. Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe = awesome!

Uncharted?????? I just hope X1 has more exclusives that justify getting it.

Some people think 2001: A Space Odyssey is a boring movie too.

I have to admit, I haven't watched it. But I do have it wrapped in plastic, so maybe this weekend I will get around to watching it.

Exclusives which are not just Halo, Gears of War, Fable and Forza. I know there are quite a few on the Xbox 360, but more of Sony's first-party stuff make a big impact whereas Microsoft's is a little splash.

I have to admit, I haven't watched it. But I do have it wrapped in plastic, so maybe this weekend I will get around to watching it.

Lol. I havent also watched it. Still need to though. It got an 8.3 rating on IMDB.

Anyway, i am disappointed that Heavy Rain couldn't make it to the Xbox. The reasons that Microsoft gave is not adequate enough to not bring it to the Xbox. 'Child abduction'. Yeh right!!!

Microsoft will bring Metal Gear Solid 5 Phantom Pain to the Xbox one but not Heavy Rain. MGS 5 had Children with guns in the trailer, so im assuming we might have to kill or free the children. They would bring this but not Heavy Rain. A game is just a game. It would be more informative for the players to know the real world by experiencing it in a game. Child abduction is around us and Heavy Rain just represents real life. :)

Nah, not a fan of Uncharted, or The Last of Us for that matter.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few exclusive Xbox One games (or at least, games that won't be available on the PS4):

-Quantum Break (keeping an eye on this)

-Dead Rising 3

-Ryse (will probably buy)

-D4

-Sunset Overdrive (keeping a CLOSE eye on this)

-Halo: Xbox One (keeping an eye on this)

-Project Spark (must buy since it's F2P)

-Killer Instinct (will download a few characters on this)

-Forza 5 (will probably buy)

-Fable Legends

-Crimson Dragon

These games might be a timed exclusive but they'll be out on the Xbox One before the PS4.

-Titanfall (VERY interested)

-Below (must buy)

And there'll be a few more exclusives to come, I think some are still waiting to be announced. Like stuff from Black Tusk Studios.

WATCH IT

Lol. I havent also watched it. Still need to though. It got an 8.3 rating on IMDB.

WATCH IT!!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkyUMmNl4hk]Hal wont Open the Pod Bay Door - YouTube[/ame]

Oh yeah, good to see more people on x360a who know about Metal Gear on here.

I've played Heavy Rain. It's a glorified movie with awful voice acting and writing.

Microsoft didn't miss out on much.

I bought this when I got my PS3 after hating the demo just because of all the hype. I haven't even bothered to start it yet. This thread makes me want to but not only is a quick time nightmare, some of them seem incredibly awkward, even difficult. When I played the demo there was a part where the detective had to walk up a wet, muddy hill and you have to hold down like every button on the already horrible PS3 controller in a different order and it took me like twenty minutes to do it. I was actually angry by the time I got to the top of the damn hill. It's going to take one hell of a story for this game to impress me. My experience with the demo is the only reason I'm not excited about Beyond: Two Souls right now.

These games might be a timed exclusive but they'll be out on the Xbox One before the PS4.

-Titanfall (VERY interested)

-Below (must buy)

Still don't understand the hype behind Titanfall.

I've played Heavy Rain. It's a glorified movie with awful voice acting and writing.

A lot of my friends who played The Last of Us claim the same thing. Not so much the writing (they thought it was brilliant). But they say it's a "glorified movie with horrible gameplay."

A lot of my friends who played The Last of Us claim the same thing. Not so much the writing (they thought it was brilliant). But they say it's a "glorified movie with horrible gameplay."

The Last of Us holds up to the hype. It's slightly overrated (kind of the same way Bioshock Infinite is slightly overrated) in the sense that neither games are perfect tens. I'd put it just below Bioshock Infinite for my favorite game of the year so far but in the end I'm not sure any game has a chance against Grand Theft Auto V as far as major gaming sites will be concerned, but that's a different conversation. The writing in The Last of Us was outstanding, well, as outstanding as video game writing can be, which is a pretty low bar. It was the only game I've ever played where I was excited to get to cut scenes and where the characters actually went all the way in doing things both violently and logically that most players would choose to do if they could. The things you want to see happen in certain situations actually play out number of times in The Last of Us. Basically, the same people who value story, ambiance and immersion first and foremost in their games won't be disappointed with The Last of Us.

Edited by WalterWhite

This should've been the reason why they didn't want to bring it to the Xbox. Not because of 'child abduction'. I personally think it was bad and that's why they didn't want to bring it. They just used 'child abduction' as an excuse so the gaming community won't get angry.

I just want Microsoft to be honest about it.:)

I know people that feel out of sorts and confused in games such as Heavy Rain and Last Of Us, hell i saw someone play them and expect action at every corner and also getting killed like a headless chicken in Last Of Us. Even in a game like Dishonored they go around like morons and don't actually see what a great game it is.

I find it genuinely sad for the industry how gamers cannot appreciate and adapt to different genres of games. And they also throw the words overrated and hyped around that it becomes tiresome.

I mean some people hate point and click games, but i have loved them since the 90's and praise developers like Telltale and Revolution Software for continuing them.

And also games like Virtue's Last Reward that have a lot of dialogue that i think some people who in their comfort zone of games that just manage to keep their attention span alive, if they tried to play this game.. they wouldn't move past first scenes.

But yeah why should Microsoft look at having variety of games that explore storytelling in a fascinating way.

I know there are others who just have emotional attachments to certain games, genres, consoles, brands that they just bag on anything they don't understand and can't appreciate, no point in arguing with them.

Luckily there are enough to keep all these awesome games coming and i can keep enjoying them.

But yeah why should Microsoft look at having variety of games that explore storytelling in a fascinating way.

I'm not a Kinect supporter but the way to get me interested in something like that would be to make something like Heavy Rain with it. I would guess that something like Heavy Rain could potentially be very cool with Kinect. That's a whole lot more interesting to me than shaking my booty or shouting out squad orders. Sadly, Microsoft doesn't have the kind of genre risk taking track record for such games, hence the topic of the first post. The kidnapping thing sounds a bit ridiculous, especially years later. I don't think very many games have done more controversial stuff than Grand Theft Auto has under one roof, so the excuse sounds flimsy to me. I think they replied with some bullshit after missing a game that was a success elsewhere.

I have to admit, I haven't watched it.

WATCH IT

"Open the pod bay doors HAL."

WATCH IT!!!!!

WATCH IT. There is no excuse. That 8.3 on IMDB doesn't do it justice.

2001 is like the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel of film.

That's unfortunate to hear. Honestly wouldn't mind giving it a go just because it's different. Think I'd choose the pliers if I last that long. But as Walt says....

already horrible PS3 controller

The controller. Is evil. The only game this will not stop me from playing eventually is Shadows of the Colossus.

Still don't understand the hype behind Titanfall.

Me neither. Yay, mechs and jumpjet packs. Never been done before :rolleyes:. Looks shiny and all, but for it to be purely MP, doesn't interest. If it wants my MP time it'll have to blow BF4 firmly out of the galaxy.

The controller. Is evil. The only game this will not stop me from playing eventually is Shadows of the Colossus.

Yeh i hate the PS3 controller. Its so small and doesn't fit my hands. And the L2 and R2 buttons used for FPS just doesnt feel right. At least with the xbox it fits my hands and the triggers actually feel like gun triggers.

Im not too fussed about Heavy Rain anyway. As long as Xbox gets more JRPG's i will be happy.

I will definitely watch A space odyssey.

But as Walt says.... The controller. Is evil. The only game this will not stop me from playing eventually is Shadows of the Colossus.

You won't have a problem with Shadow of the Colossus. In most games it's not that noticeable, mostly just first person shooters. I had a bit of a rough time playing through Bioshock Infinite with the controller but I jumped into some Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and I was fine. It sill blows, don't get me wrong, but it's completely manageable in most games. It's not like the PS3 is the place to go for shooters anyway, so I'm not too bothered by it. I'm definitely less nervous about the redesigned PS4 controller though. Nothing beats the Xbox 360 controller and probably the Xbox One redesign, which looks incredible.

You won't have a problem with Shadow of the Colossus.

I certainly did. I got the HD collection from Gamefly a few weeks ago... popped it in, started up Shadow of the Colossus, and 30 minutes later it was right sealed up and dropped right back in the mailbox. I thought the controls for that particular game were absolutely horrendous.

You won't* have a problem with Shadow of the Colossus.
*shouldn't

*might

*will

You'll be #fucked with Shadow of the Colossus.

#yep

I certainly did. I got the HD collection from Gamefly a few weeks ago... popped it in, started up Shadow of the Colossus, and 30 minutes later it was right sealed up and dropped right back in the mailbox. I thought the controls for that particular game were absolutely horrendous.

Fixed! :)

Edited by WalterWhite