Character switching in this game BLOWS!!!!!!

xl4everlostlx

I assume you're talking about the game "helpfully" switching to the other player when you're trying to select a different character (usually while climbing Mount Doom or Orthanc tower). You can try using some of the ancillary characters, like the Witch King instead of the basic ones. The game tends not to switch to the other character if you turn the guy at the bottom into the Witch King.

Turning on the second controller may also work.

- Chris

I didn't think the character wheel was that bad, EXCEPT when it switched for you to the other guy, THAT'S the part that sucks. If it didn't do that, it wouldn't be so bad. Whenever I'm doing tricky maneuvers (climbing Mt Doom for that VERY HARD to get brick, or climbing that stupid tower which is even harder) I always chose the + to get the entire character list to assure it wouldn't make choices for me and drop me to the other guy.

• 1 month later...

yeah it really is god awful. pretty sure this is the first Lego game where in free play or free roam, you cant have 2 of the same character out at the same time. so if you, say, need Sam to cross an elven rope point, then switch to someone else, then try to switch back to Sam again, you will find yourself switching control over to the other character because the dumbass AI decided it needed to change to Sam to follow you. instead of what would make more sense which is simply allow the AI to be Sam at the same time, or even an alternate version of Sam.

also i really hate the free character selection they've implemented in the last couple Lego games, where you just get the big wall of characters to choose from when you hold Y when in free play. they should just do like they used to where they automatically give you at least 1 character with each ability and only let you select from those 8 for the level.

or, do what ive been saying for years now which is allow you to create a custom group of 8 characters, so that way when playing a free play level you can quickly and easily select a group of your favorite characters arranged in whatever order you prefer. thats one simple thing that would really make Lego games a lot better.

Edited by shinobigarth

• 1 month later...

Is there a trick to changing a character without going from your controlled person to the other person???

Spots where you have to use sam to climb a rope, the elf for arrows, and golem to climb his area (all just examples of multiple swaps), I'll hit and hold the Y button only for it to switch to the AI. Bytime I swap back, my character has of course jumped down from whatever platform I had gotten to. Either when I hold Y it will just swap or it will swap AND do the character change....

How's come the previous LEGO games were pretty polished compared to a title thay have had the blueprint on for 4 years?????????? You would figure they could get better with each release.....

it does that to me but i have now got used to my friend to be on the other controller and then i just complete it quickly without the scroll character selection. i reckon that it should return to default but there is a factor on how to swap characters from other parts of the game such as hobbington to bree as this will be difficult for all gamers to enjoy the game without the stupid noises that the game makes if something is invalid

• 4 weeks later...
pretty sure this is the first Lego game where in free play or free roam, you cant have 2 of the same character out at the same time. so if you, say, need Sam to cross an elven rope point, then switch to someone else, then try to switch back to Sam again, you will find yourself switching control over to the other character because the dumbass AI decided it needed to change to Sam to follow you. instead of what would make more sense which is simply allow the AI to be Sam at the same time, or even an alternate version of Sam.

I managed to have two Sams out at once the very first time I switched to Sam in Middle Earth.... No idea what I did to get that to happen, and I haven't been able to replicate it.

or, do what ive been saying for years now which is allow you to create a custom group of 8 characters, so that way when playing a free play level you can quickly and easily select a group of your favorite characters arranged in whatever order you prefer. thats one simple thing that would really make Lego games a lot better.

That would be awesome.

Edited by WooliestRaptor

• 2 weeks later...