Demo / FullGame Impressions

Rusty Nail zh

I played through the demo twice. Controls are locked to the default scheme and seem to be an intuitive configuration for the gameplay. The game resembles Geometry Wars but has more layers to the gameplay.

Your ship moves with :ls: and you change your firing orientation with :rs:. :ltbut: attracts ions and a charge meter starts to fill. When you've collected enough (by flying around holding :ltbut:) release :ltbut: for an asteroid destroying shot.

Once you get some ions fully charged and start destroying objects, the ions bounce off the space border and also destroyed objects will drop orbs that power your shot more quickly. So you spit ions and collect them back very quickly once you get the process going.

Also, you get a minor speed boost when you fire off a fully charged shot. This helps to maneuver your ship into good flanking positions for taking out enemy ships. Enemy ships come out of portals or off the border of them map. They won't spawn on top of you.

Your ship can take a bit of a beating if you experience a piloting error. You'll ricochet around different objects like a pinball where you'll have a chance to recover flight controls.

Finally, there are power-ups to be had.... A couple I experienced were the Auto-Drones (name?) which fly around and hunt enemy ships for you and the extremely potent Vortex Grenade which your ship drops off behind it's flight path like a singularity bomb that attracts massive amounts of ions and then spits them out in all directions destroying or damaging everything except your ship. (Your ship can quickly collect the discharged ions and start firing into the mayhem as well~!)

The graphics are 'stellar' and the music is fitting. The achievements look like fun and like they fit the gameplay. I think most people should easily attain 150:gsicon: minimum.

4player co-op makes it a definite purchase for me!

:uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::locked

I played through the demo twice. Controls are locked to the default scheme and seem to be an intuitive configuration for the gameplay. The game resembles Geometry Wars but has more layers to the gameplay.

Your ship moves with :ls: and you change your firing orientation with :rs:. :ltbut: attracts ions and a charge meter starts to fill. When you've collected enough (by flying around holding :ltbut:) release :ltbut: for an asteroid destroying shot.

Once you get some ions fully charged and start destroying objects, the ions bounce off the space border and also destroyed objects will drop orbs that power your shot more quickly. So you spit ions and collect them back very quickly once you get the process going.

Also, you get a minor speed boost when you fire off a fully charged shot. This helps to maneuver your ship into good flanking positions for taking out enemy ships. Enemy ships come out of portals or off the border of them map. They won't spawn on top of you.

Your ship can take a bit of a beating if you experience a piloting error. You'll ricochet around different objects like a pinball where you'll have a chance to recover flight controls.

Finally, there are power-ups to be had.... A couple I experienced were the Auto-Drones (name?) which fly around and hunt enemy ships for you and the extremely potent Vortex Grenade which your ship drops off behind it's flight path like a singularity bomb that attracts massive amounts of ions and then spits them out in all directions destroying or damaging everything except your ship. (Your ship can quickly collect the discharged ions and start firing into the mayhem as well~!)

The graphics are 'stellar' and the music is fitting. The achievements look like fun and like they fit the gameplay. I think most people should easily attain 150:gsicon: minimum.

4player co-op makes it a definite purchase for me!

:uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::locked

Good job with the analysis. But isn't it a problem the right stick isn't meant for firing but meant as an unnecessary, clumsy positioning function? And why should you have to charge shots to destroy enemies -- much less spend 15 seconds charging that shot that can now bounce, for a second, off of the wall without practical effect? Moreover, why can you only move at your desired speed when you luckily--because half of the time your shots will literally go through enemies--destroy an enemy or object?

It's as if you are restricted from full-play without the developers being smart enough to know any better. The game may look good but by having no tutorial, a cliche' robot guiding voice, and utterly haphazard, boring gameplay it's pretty hard to say it's a good game. But at least it's better than Zombie Apocalypse and that terrible brawling arcade game.

Good job with the analysis. But isn't it a problem the right stick isn't meant for firing but meant as an unnecessary, clumsy positioning function? And why should you have to charge shots to destroy enemies -- much less spend 15 seconds charging that shot that can now bounce, for a second, off of the wall without practical effect? Moreover, why can you only move at your desired speed when you luckily--because half of the time your shots will literally go through enemies--destroy an enemy or object?

It's as if you are restricted from full-play without the developers being smart enough to know any better. The game may look good but by having no tutorial, a cliche' robot guiding voice, and utterly haphazard, boring gameplay it's pretty hard to say it's a good game. But at least it's better than Zombie Apocalypse and that terrible brawling arcade game.

The first stage of the game acts as a tutorial, and you can press x to repeat it until you become comfortable with the controls. The game becomes difficult as it goes on though, the demo doesn't do it justice honestly. I didn't like it at first either, even after I bought it, but as I got further into the game and started figuring out things I can do to make life easier and started getting 112k+ in the very first stage, it kind of became addicting haha

• 5 months later...