basic attack gems - what is better?

wo ai ni xx

I know this isn't the most lively forum for a game, but I've a question about attack gems im hoping to get answered -

So I like playing as haldir, a striker, and I am trying to build a loadout aimed at getting as much basic damage out of him as possible, so I ask - am I better giving him the numerical damage increase, or the percentage damage increase?

Any info would be appreciated :)

My Haldir/Legolas build starts with attack speed and then attack % and crit chance. It started off as my setup for Thrain, but I play them more (works great for him too, though).

I could never stand legolas, his ultimate being a knockback really annoys me, its just not strong enough - fair enough he's top on basic damage, but his abilities just aren't worth it

I keep meaning to try thrain, though never thought he'd benefit from basic attack damage :S

I could never stand legolas, his ultimate being a knockback really annoys me, its just not strong enough - fair enough he's top on basic damage, but his abilities just aren't worth it

I keep meaning to try thrain, though never thought he'd benefit from basic attack damage :S

Using Legolas' teleport to cut people off and then hitting them backward with your ultimate attack can be useful, however I constantly find myself using his ultimate immediately followed by his :bbut: attack (I use him all the time, you think I'd remember the name -.-). That will give you +damage on the target since the ultimate decreases their damage resistance, while slowing the target so you can catch up with them if you need to.

For Thrain, ya I would say focusing on a basic attack setup isn't ideal, but the critical damage I have in my second relic can be very helpful with his hammer throw attack since it will usually hit a target twice. You could replace the attack speed relic with, say an ability power relic and yield some good results since his abilities are quite powerful. Overall I think he is a very well balanced character, with strong (ranged!) abilities, pretty good basic damage, and of course the ability to greatly reduce all incoming damage which is huge. Plus he has a really big hammer.

As a side note, I did forget to mention in my previous post that I adapted my Thrain build to work more with Legolas and Haldir by focusing on basic attack % instead of crit or crit % like I had with thrain. I guess I'll also add that Legolas' +attack speed after killing a guardian can be HUGE in getting multi-kills.

Edited by Shiftie

• 3 weeks later...

It's all just basic Math, with the Striker class once you get out of level 3 your going to be doing 100 damage a shot. With the percentage ruin your going to do 4 extra damage. When you get to level 4 (Don't totally quote me, all the strikers do slightly different damage...) you do 125 damage and your next gem becomes active increasing your damage by 5. So it would still almost be worth it to use the +6 damage increase anyways. Once you get towards end game levels (10,11,12, ect.) Start using the % based gems. That's at least how I go about putting gems into builds.

By the way... FUCK :uzi:MATH

It's all just basic Math, with the Striker class once you get out of level 3 your going to be doing 100 damage a shot. With the percentage ruin your going to do 4 extra damage. When you get to level 4 (Don't totally quote me, all the strikers do slightly different damage...) you do 125 damage and your next gem becomes active increasing your damage by 5. So it would still almost be worth it to use the +6 damage increase anyways. Once you get towards end game levels (10,11,12, ect.) Start using the % based gems. That's at least how I go about putting gems into builds.

By the way... FUCK :uzi:MATH

Ah okay, I actually get where you're coming from, so for the lvl 2/4/6 gems, it might be better using +6 damage, as it will be slightly better than the damage boost you would get from the % boost, and in the 10/12/14 slots use % boost as that will increase it further than the +6 damage would at the higher levels

Gonna try that out later see how it fares in comparison to my current % damage boosts - it seems logically sound so my guess is it should work.