Halo Reach: "If They Came To Hear Me Beg" - How to get the achievement (Guarenteed)!

0i0i0i

Alright, I know this is a very very old topic, but I finally got around to doing this, and figured it couldn't hurt to share my experience (for those who just skip to the last page of the thread).

The best way I found to pull it off was to have the Iron Skull turned on, on Legendary, then grenade yourself to take out your shields at the very beginning. After a lot of failed attempts on my part, it seems that if you have shields full, then if you just land on the Elite, you won't die, and have to trigger a very specific assassination animation in order to get the achievement.

However, if you have your shields depleted, then landing on top of the Elite will kill you, and that means that you can now trigger the assassination animation where you stomp on his head to get the achievement (because otherwise that animation won't get it for you).

Also be sure to stop sprinting in the air, and I have had success with both the aiming slightly off and having my reticle red on him, so pick whichever one you have the highest assassination animation chance with. Hope this helps for those of you just getting around to cleaning up now.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried for about 6 hours to get this today, i did it on normal, heroic, and legendary, i cleared my xbox cache, every freakin tip i could find on the internet. I had a string of successful assassination cut-scenes of 14 in a row... NOTHING

Then i changed from holding the pistol to holding the assault rifle.... FIRST GO it unlocked.

So if you haven't tried it yet, I'd say try changing the weapon you have out, that's the only thing i can accredit my getting this achievement to, because i did absolutely nothing different and must have got the cut-scene about 150 times without it popping.

Pretty easy, This is what I did

Go to the Nightfall mission ( i believe that's what it's called, haven't played for a while :p )

The first ledge you get to, there is an Elite down below, all you must do is not disturb anyone, and assassinate the Elite.

The thing is timing, I didn't stop sprinting, and I assassinated him and still didn't get the Ach. What I realized is when you stab him you touch ground for a split second, try waiting it out for the perfect time where he just turns his back to you, then you should run and be able to get it

Got it in less than 10 tries after failing over 200 times on PoA

Pretty easy, This is what I did

Go to the Nightfall mission ( i believe that's what it's called, haven't played for a while :p )

The first ledge you get to, there is an Elite down below, all you must do is not disturb anyone, and assassinate the Elite.

The thing is timing, I didn't stop sprinting, and I assassinated him and still didn't get the Ach. What I realized is when you stab him you touch ground for a split second, try waiting it out for the perfect time where he just turns his back to you, then you should run and be able to get it

Got it in less than 10 tries after failing over 200 times on PoA

I'm not sure that you touching the ground is the issue, i got the animation to work uncountable times when trying for this, but for the most part it was the assassination where you land on their head and stomp in them into the ground, so no chance that "timing" is the issue, the acheivement is just buggy, if you got it pretty quickly then your one of the lucky ones.

Another thing to try if you have a friend who unlocked this achievement easily, is borrow their copy of the disc. I have played another game where an achievement would not unlock no matter how many times i tried, and then i used a different game disc and it unlocked first time. I cannot think of a single reason why the two discs would be different but cant hurt to try...

Matt

I'm not sure that you touching the ground is the issue, i got the animation to work uncountable times when trying for this, but for the most part it was the assassination where you land on their head and stomp in them into the ground, so no chance that "timing" is the issue, the acheivement is just buggy, if you got it pretty quickly then your one of the lucky ones.

Another thing to try if you have a friend who unlocked this achievement easily, is borrow their copy of the disc. I have played another game where an achievement would not unlock no matter how many times i tried, and then i used a different game disc and it unlocked first time. I cannot think of a single reason why the two discs would be different but cant hurt to try...

Matt

That's true, the game switch thing, I've tried it for Halo CE Anniversary for one of the achievements and it unlocked on my friends, not mine. So your theory maybe right? I cannot confirm it but it was odd that it worked on HIS disc, not mine.

• 2 weeks later...

ahhhhhh, finally got this sucker :woop:

i'd given up seriously persuing it, i would just try and rack up points for daily challenges if i landed safe.

then since i noticed most of the time the elites left shoulder was facing me when i jumped from in between where emeril was standing and the rock, it finally occured to me to move around the front of the rock and to the right and jump so i'd have a beter chance of landing square on his back and it came maybe 5 or 6 tries later. very satisfying 25g

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, all there is that can be done, is keep trying:mad:

Or as i suggested above if you have a friend who has the game borrow their copy, try holding a different weapon, put on the black eye skull and grenade yourself so you have no sheild (to help with the "survive a fall that would have KILLED you").

If you ahve already tried all of these, and any other suggestions the internet has to offer, than, put it down and come back in a few monthes. Try again, and if you still have no luck, put it down again.

This achievement sucks, but it feels good once you finally get it to pop. I was so pumped i nearly threw my tv across the room.

• 5 weeks later...

When I got the achievement for myself, I spent days trying to get it for an hour or two at a time, I must've tried 200 something tries before I finally got it. Well, then my friend asked me to get it for him, so I signed in under his profile. Still took a little while, but I got it much faster for him. I have no idea why the second time was so much easier around.

Same exact thing happened with the Banshee hijacking achievement: I had to fight for mine and when I did his, the Banshee was stuck in a tunnel.

• 4 weeks later...

This achievement took me literally 200+ tries. Just when I thought I was going to give up, a friend recommended throwing a grenade at yourself to weaken your armor and guarantee a fall to your death... Sure enough, no joke, 3 tries later, POP got the achievement.

I did this on the Pillar of Autumn level in the beginning. Threw the grenade at the rock on opposite side of cliff, walked over it then sprinted for the cliff, jumped and assassinated and viola.

All this sprint, no red cross hairs is all horse $hit. It all depends on if that one fall will actually kill you or not!

• 2 months later...

I do not want the OP to take this as a knock, but this thread should not have the term Guaranteed in it. I tried this method and every one for about 2-3 hours. I got it by doing 2 things different. The first is I cleared my cache and didn't download the update when starting the campaign. Second I punched just a fraction of a second ealier than I normally do. I got it about ten tries after changing these two things, and I was looking directly at the back of the elite when doing it. I also clicked off spring just after I jumped from the cliff. I also found it easier to change by button layout to recon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After X amount of tries i have finally just got the achievement. I got the head stomp scene and the only thing i did different to all the other attempts was as i was just about to land on the elite, i pulled back on the left joystick. Also had the controller set so B was the melee attack. Dunno if either made a difference but i'm so happy i've finally got this pain in the arse achievement