Encyclopedia of the Common Man Guide

Tyger7

Why the fuck are those woodworkers only smoking and fishing? I've been waiting 2 AC days and not once did he do anything besides the 1 thing I already scanned. This is stupid. Also, somehow after talking to Achilles for a mission where he would send me to New York I somehow can't start it, it's nowhere on the map and because of that I can't get the blacksmith. Am I somehow doing something wrong or is this normal? Because previously, some of those "help civilians" missions didn't show up on the map either, and yes I have all highview points synched so it's not because of that.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had no major problems with any of these, except the very last one which I'm now stuck on... The bloody doctor, the one person I'm not seeing anyone else have problems with. All he's doing is reading his book or inspecting his garden. Just to rub it in, I've literally just finished waiting for him to finish reading, then he's walked back up to his house and.... turns back around to go and read the book again. This is infuriating, all I need after this is to finish up my sequences with 100% sync :|

I've had no major problems with any of these, except the very last one which I'm now stuck on... The bloody doctor, the one person I'm not seeing anyone else have problems with. All he's doing is reading his book or inspecting his garden. Just to rub it in, I've literally just finished waiting for him to finish reading, then he's walked back up to his house and.... turns back around to go and read the book again. This is infuriating, all I need after this is to finish up my sequences with 100% sync :|

I know how you feel, I had the same thing last night with the blacksmith, he would only smelt some stuff and sharpen his axe. But the trick is to do a couple of their quests so new buildings are build and they'll start doing new stuff there. I've done all Homestead quests now and I finally see everyone doing everything they're supposed to, EXCEPT for the woodcutters, those lazy bastards only smoke and fish. I was so happy when I saw them cut wood. Go this achievement now, by advice is to do a couple of those Homestead quests and they will do more stuff, trust me, it may take a while sometimes but they will do more things.

I know how you feel, I had the same thing last night with the blacksmith, he would only smelt some stuff and sharpen his axe. But the trick is to do a couple of their quests so new buildings are build and they'll start doing new stuff there. I've done all Homestead quests now and I finally see everyone doing everything they're supposed to, EXCEPT for the woodcutters, those lazy bastards only smoke and fish. I was so happy when I saw them cut wood. Go this achievement now, by advice is to do a couple of those Homestead quests and they will do more stuff, trust me, it may take a while sometimes but they will do more things.

lol, my Homestead stuff has long since been 100% done. As mentioned in the other post, my sequence replays are the only other thing I have left to do. He's definitely glitched, there's a whole list of activities he does and I'm only getting two, even when sat stalking him from dawn till dusk :(

I found that rather than following the lumberers around all the time, I had much better luck by riding between their houses and the tailor's cabin, which was far enough from them to effectively "reset" whatever they were doing at the time and switch to something else.

Yeah, I've been doing all that kinda stuff. I even tried deleting title updates, to no avail. It's not looking good, basically! The most frustrating part is when it turns to night, as there doesn't appear to be a way to speed up the passage of time.

I found that rather than following the lumberers around all the time, I had much better luck by riding between their houses and the tailor's cabin, which was far enough from them to effectively "reset" whatever they were doing at the time and switch to something else.

This worked immediately for me. I ran up to the tailor's house until Big Dave showed up on the map, ran back and the two of them were sawing a log. Thank you!

Where the hell is Ellen the Taylor? I have at least one entry logged for everyone else, and just need her, Miner and Huntress (hopefully!). I have yet to even see her anywhere.

Also, I'm only missing one Homestead mission for the doctor.

So apparently her and some of the wives refused to do anything till I talked to them. And Norris finally panned for gold! No glitch for me :)

Edited by CIF

My problem is with Norris (miner)

I have recorded him refueling the lamp, and fixing the woodwork in the entrance of the cave with the Woodworker. so i have 2/3

I have followed him for 2 in game days continuously (++ 100 times at random) but he only does the 2 things i already recorded. Then the only thing he does is walking around, eating an apple, sitting on the porch of his house and a lot of smoking. NOTHING ELSE !!!

NO MINING, NO GOLD PANNING ... NOTHING .... That stupid game .... aaarrrggg !!!

My problem is with Norris (miner)

I have recorded him refueling the lamp, and fixing the woodwork in the entrance of the cave with the Woodworker. so i have 2/3

I have followed him for 2 in game days continuously (++ 100 times at random) but he only does the 2 things i already recorded. Then the only thing he does is walking around, eating an apple, sitting on the porch of his house and a lot of smoking. NOTHING ELSE !!!

NO MINING, NO GOLD PANNING ... NOTHING .... That stupid game .... aaarrrggg !!!

It seems that he only does three things and panning for gold is the difficult one. Either find other stuff to do before it changes from night to day, or wait till the end to get the Animus hacks.

Where is Myriam the huntress? Can't find her on the map.

She's either west of the Manor or somewhere north of it, past the river (she has the northernmost cabin).

For those of you having trouble getting the lumberers to do anything, go to your accounting book and buy some of the lumber from the stockpile, then return to the area and they should be doing an activity soon after (not necessarily right away). I had this problem and this worked out, finally saw them sawing some lumber in half. Good luck!

This! This! After doing this, I popped it immediately.

Thanks a bunch

I never really had any problems with this one as I went on and did other side quests only taking a little bit of time to do a little bit of scanning every so often.

Praise The Lord, I finally saw Warren pluck the chicken.

Well, if you're into that, I guess... :)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought that sounded so very dirty.

just did em all never had problems with any of em except the miner who didnt want to mine but after fast travelling a few times and going back to the mine he eventually went to his shed and got his pick HURRAY the miner actually mined. Now if only i could get the god damn courier to appear havent seen a single one in 40 hours of gameplay.

Edited by Suki

When does Norris (the lazy one) pan for gold? It's the last one I need for the achievement. And I think he knows this and he isn't playing fair.

EDIT: Used the night/daytime hack to change to day and scanned he doing something else and got the achievement! Thought hacks disable achievements. Strange.

Edited by Gman2

EDIT: Used the night/daytime hack to change to day and scanned he doing something else and got the achievement! Thought hacks disable achievements. Strange.

you dont necessarily need the hack. if you load up a memory, like 2-1, and then wait to abort until after the cutscene and you take control, it'll reboot to early morning (I haven't tested it, but I feel it reboots to the time of sequence.)

Any word on the patch not completely fixing this? I have 2/3 for the lumberers and scanned them looking at wood and it said I've already scanned it even though I hadn't. My first two were chopping wood and sawing a log.

The doctor only ever picks herbs and reads for me. I did all the other ones without a problem except these two.

Edit: I started for this achievement after the patch.

is it suggested to not scan multiple inhabitants together? Ex. Lumberer looking at wood with woodworker.

Edited by Braiiins

I too was screwed by the bug before the patch came out. I just replayed the entire game (took about 10 hours) just to get this achievement. I used this compilation of tricks that people had been suggesting and had success!

1) If a homesteader is doing a previously scanned activity, go far enough away on the map that their icon no longer shows up on mini map. Then return and more often than not they will automatically be doing something else.

2) Persistently work on recording activities throughout your playthrough. However, don't expect to finish them all until after Sequence 12 is finished and your Homestead Missions are mostly finished. If you get one or two new activities per homesteader, per Sequence, be content and move on.

Sometimes you may not get any until several Sequences/Homestead Missions are completed. Miner and Doctor weren't 3/3 for me until after the credits had rolled and all Homestead missions were done.

3) GET THE BUGGIEST ONES FIRST. Get the lumberers and farmers especially, as soon as possible. Nail all 3/3 and don't procrastinate on those.

4) Use your Animus Hacks. I used "Always Daylight" and still got the cheevo to pop.

5) Use your vision mode to see when they are orange. Sometimes you can get credit for an activity when all it looks like the people are doing is walking.

Good luck!

Had lumberes to 1/3, finally got 2/3 then straight after I seem Godfrey talking to lance and I knew I hadn't got that one so I scanned it and it said entry complete :/. Thought this was patched.

Same exact thing happened to me. I started the encyclopedia AFTER the patch. Had no problem with any of the activities but had 2/3 for the lumberers. Scanned them at the pile of wood and it said already completed. I am going to try and fool around with rescanning others or trying to catch the wife churning butter. I REALLY hope this is fixed so I don't have to replay everything. Any chance it'll get fixed again?