Yet another Blood on the Ice Glitch...

burtonbandit

I've been trying to get this for hours and I haven't seen anyone's game glitch like this yet (although I see many glitches for this quest)

During the quest for "blood on the ice", I have gotten to the point where I was to inspect the crime scene. The guard told me to speak to Hjerim but he also mentioned the blood trail. Well, I decided to just follow the blood trail to the house and investigated everything in the house. I found the strange amulet and sold it to the guy and here is where my problem is...The damn quest won't update and in my menu it is telling me to follow up on the clues from Hjerim or get assistance Jorleif. The problem here is that I have talked to both of them and no options to further the quest show up. I have tried talking to every character involved in this quest and nothing will show up. I even tried stealing the key from the real murderer and found all the evidence in their house. Nothing is triggering the next events. Anyone have this problem???

I've been trying to get this for hours and I haven't seen anyone's game glitch like this yet (although I see many glitches for this quest)

During the quest for "blood on the ice", I have gotten to the point where I was to inspect the crime scene. The guard told me to speak to Hjerim but he also mentioned the blood trail. Well, I decided to just follow the blood trail to the house and investigated everything in the house. I found the strange amulet and sold it to the guy and here is where my problem is...The damn quest won't update and in my menu it is telling me to follow up on the clues from Hjerim or get assistance Jorleif. The problem here is that I have talked to both of them and no options to further the quest show up. I have tried talking to every character involved in this quest and nothing will show up. I even tried stealing the key from the real murderer and found all the evidence in their house. Nothing is triggering the next events. Anyone have this problem???

I ended up finishing that case without investigating the crime scene being ticked off. I went into hall of the dead and spoke about the body and cuts, I sold the amulet to the killer for £500 and showed the journal that you find in the house to lady who put out the flyers (can't remember her name) which she then tells you to go to Jorleif with this. I ignored that and went and found the Mage upstairs instead who said to walk the streets tomorrow night and look for the killer. The killer hangs around at the Market the next night and you have to stop him killing another lady. Hope this helps.

I ended up finishing that case without investigating the crime scene being ticked off. I went into hall of the dead and spoke about the body and cuts, I sold the amulet to the killer for £500 and showed the journal that you find in the house to lady who put out the flyers (can't remember her name) which she then tells you to go to Jorleif with this. I ignored that and went and found the Mage upstairs instead who said to walk the streets tomorrow night and look for the killer. The killer hangs around at the Market the next night and you have to stop him killing another lady. Hope this helps.

This is exactly what i did to complete the quest.

Problem i have now is i have about 6 active quests that i cant complete because there glitched for one reason or another.

I just wish I could get this quest to trigger. I finished the Imperial/Stormcloak missions and the guy in the castle just says that something bad happened in the house when I tell him I want to buy it.

Well, I bought the house and am now on the quest. I don't know if that will help, but it might be if you got the gold to spare.

You may need to load an earlier save and avoid breaking into the murderer's house, same with lockpicking the door the crime scene blood leads to. I read that lockpicking your way into the murderer's house can kind of trap him in there somehow. You're supposed to go talk to the mother of the first victim to get the key to the house as part of the quest, then find the evidence inside. Talk to the Jarl's assistant whose name I can't remember right now, then go talk to the folks about the items found, though you don't HAVE to talk to Calixto abut the amulet. I always got that part ticked off just talking to the girl about the fliers. Then continue as the quest says, though if you blame the court mage you'll have to leave town for a few game days and go back to finish the quest. That's the part that really caused me problems.

That quest pissed me off pretty good, too, before I finally got it.

I just wish I could get this quest to trigger. I finished the Imperial/Stormcloak missions and the guy in the castle just says that something bad happened in the house when I tell him I want to buy it.

You have to go to the town at night and find the latest crime scene to trigger the quest to start. I did it purely by accident myself. Went to the town for something, wandered around, and found people standing around a dead body.

Taken from the wikia.

Approach Windhelm's chapel graveyard at night; there will be several people gathered around a dead female corpse.

Speak with the guard.

Visit Jorleif to be granted permission to help the investigation.

Return to the guard.

Enter the Hall of the Dead and speak with Helgird.

Return to the body, follow the trail of blood to Hjerim.

Return to Jorleif for advice.

Pick the lock (Master Level) or receive a key from the victim's (Tova Shatter-Shield) mother and enter the house.

Investigate all of the furniture that gives you the option. The dresser on the northeast side from entering the house will have a hidden door leading to an altar.

Take the Butcher's Journal #2, exit and grab the first journal, Strange Amulet and flyer from the shelf.(If you turn around and face the main door, the amulet is on the shelves on the right side of the door, under the fliers.)

Visit the Candlehearth Hall or Calixto's House of Curiosities to speak with Calixto. You can show him the Strange Amulet and even sell it to him, if you so choose. He will tell you it belongs to the court mage.

Visit Viola Giordano. She's often found in the hall. (Note: you can't talk to her if you don't have a copy of the "beware the butcher" pamphlet in your inventory)

At this point, the player can complete this quest in one of two ways:

I. Accuse the mage

Return to Jorlief to end the quest and thus accuse the court mage of the murders.

II. Catch the killer

Go and talk to the Wuunferth, the court mage, rather than following the quest marker to Jorleif. Tell him you heard he was practicing necromancy. He tells you he doesn't, and that the amulet and journals are not his.

Go to the marketplace area in the stone quarter at night, as Wuunferth suggests, find and stop Calixto, who is about to strike again.

Return to Jorleif and tell him that the killer has been caught.

Note: A quest with the same name can be initiated after accusing the mage and talking to the guard in the Stone Quarters if you did not sell the amulet to Calixto.

Note: You can also pick up the quest again after you have accuse the mage. Wait for several day's until another body appears outside of Candlehearth hall. A guard will ask you a few question's and then go talk to the mage again that is locked up. This will have you start the quest again this time you will patrol the streets of windhelm at night find Calixto and kill him quest finished.

Note: If you have already sold the "Beware the Butcher" flyers, NPCs will not talk to you about the murders, thereby disallowing you to continue the quest. To amend this, you can add a flyer to your inventory with the console by entering "player.additem 21683 1" without the quotes.

Thanks guys. I think barrowland might have the answer I am looking for in that viola might talk to me if I have a beware the butcher flier...I never actually picked one up and just read it. I'll try it tonight when I get home. At this point none of the characters will give me an option to ask about anything. I'll let you guys know!

I have NEVER encountered a crime scene in the grave yard. I have gone there at night MANY times looking for it. NEVER APPEARS. Also, cant start the quest from buying the house because when I ask the guy about the house being for sale he says something like "Uhh its not ready yet, something bad happened there." and nothing else shows up.

Oh well. Will wait for patches.

i bought the house and im on the quest for the second time but everytime i go to kill Calixto he wont die he just falls to the ground and stands back up and then stands there for a bit i leave the house and he reattacks me if i start the fight i get arrested what do i do?

I think it screwed up his essential flag while doing the quest. Which is been reported also to be a bug. Sometimes his essential flag won't go away at the end of the quest. Since the quest is so glitchy it has to be done just in a certain way like Barrowlands described. Even then your lucky if it flags part of the quests correctly. Do you have a save just prior to starting the quest?

Still no official help for this!? I am too far gone to change how I completed the first quest but if there is a "right" way to complete the second part I need to know!! I am just avoiding the town as much as possible until I can make it work.

I accused the Mage and sold the amulet. I don't see a new crime scene but I can talk to the guards to reopen the quest. IF I do that, and go speak to the imprisoned Mage, I am asked to patrol the square at night but that gets completed immediately. Next thing I know the killer is dashing around town with an arrow over his head and he can't be stopped or killed. He lives in the house I want to someday buy. Immortal.

Can anyone help? I assume the patch today does not fix this but I would really love a fix or a suggestion. I can start anywhere from the point where I trigger the second part of the quest.

• 1 month later...

So I believe the quest is glitched for me but in a different way than any other I have seen. I started the quest through buying the house rather than the crime scene and so it skipped many steps that I believe may have glitched the quest. So I am at the point where I have to find and talk to Viola about the flyers, but the issue is no indicator shows where she is and I cannot find her no matter how much I wander around Windhelm. I've seen her before earlier and I've waited in various areas for her including the hall/tavern and her house(who owns a house but is never inside of it not even to sleep?) and I have a feeling that she may have been glitched out of the game so if anyone can give any advice or confirm whether this really is a glitch or not? Hopefully bethesda fixes this quest and all the other glitched quests in this game.

I saved this thread because I need to do this quest too...which I'll be doing this weekend.

I've been walking around talking to a few people and they mention dead women, the butcher but that's all. There's no murder scene. No blood trail. The Steward just dialogs the house isn't ready. The woman at the Hall of the Dead is no help. She's not looking at a dead body. And I still need a key to get into the house. I have a major SNAFU.

Edited by ChickinOnaChain

• 2 weeks later...
So I believe the quest is glitched for me but in a different way than any other I have seen. I started the quest through buying the house rather than the crime scene and so it skipped many steps that I believe may have glitched the quest. So I am at the point where I have to find and talk to Viola about the flyers, but the issue is no indicator shows where she is and I cannot find her no matter how much I wander around Windhelm. I've seen her before earlier and I've waited in various areas for her including the hall/tavern and her house(who owns a house but is never inside of it not even to sleep?) and I have a feeling that she may have been glitched out of the game so if anyone can give any advice or confirm whether this really is a glitch or not? Hopefully bethesda fixes this quest and all the other glitched quests in this game.

I have the exact same problem currently, although I have the PS3 version. I hope there's a patch soon, or someone figures out a loophole :Bounce:

I have the exact same problem currently, although I have the PS3 version. I hope there's a patch soon, or someone figures out a loophole :Bounce:

http://www.gamespot.com/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/forum/blood-on-the-ice-missing-viola-giordana-61100158/

found the loophole :) enjoy!

Edited by Shinobi273

After the Civil War you have to go to the house to initiate the quest.

I saved this thread because I need to do this quest too...which I'll be doing this weekend.

I've been walking around talking to a few people and they mention dead women, the butcher but that's all. There's no murder scene. No blood trail. The Steward just dialogs the house isn't ready. The woman at the Hall of the Dead is no help. She's not looking at a dead body. And I still need a key to get into the house. I have a major SNAFU.

If you walk over to the guard patrolling in front of the Hall of the Dead, he will tell you to stand back, and that will set things into motion (pre-Civil War). Or you will have to buy the house and visit it to set the quest into motion (post Civil War).

Edited by Shinobi273

I'm stuck on the part where you have to talk to the guard after questioning the 3 witnesses. It just leads me to a

marker point next to the dead body but there is no guard there.

i got stuck and the quest doesn't update properly. talk to Jorleif inside the Palace of the Kings. then go back and see if the guards there. if not go into the hall of the dead and try speaking to the woman there. if that doesn't work try going to Hjerim and then returning to Jorleif.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_on_the_Ice

i got stuck and the quest doesn't update properly. talk to Jorleif inside the Palace of the Kings. then go back and see if the guards there. if not go into the hall of the dead and try speaking to the woman there. if that doesn't work try going to Hjerim and then returning to Jorleif.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_on_the_Ice

Thanks, got there in the end. Buying the house advanced the quest for some reason. When I finished the quest my side quest total never went up though. It should have been my 10th and last quest I needed for the achievement but it did not count for some reason.

If you walk over to the guard patrolling in front of the Hall of the Dead, he will tell you to stand back, and that will set things into motion (pre-Civil War). Or you will have to buy the house and visit it to set the quest into motion (post Civil War).

I'm very post civil war. But no matter what I do, who I talk to, according to the Steward, the house is still a mess. I got in it by stealing the key and looked at ALL of the things I was supposed to see if I had bought it but I've given up on that. I'm just glad there's not an achievement for buying them.