very disapointed in the game

its an alright game,no where near as great as people say

Voice Acting is damn terrible as well

It is actually much better than people say, because unlike almost all other RPG's on console, it is original. (Not to mention amazing visuals, deep customization /crafting and spectacular voice acting.)

I have never heard a better line up for gaming vocals (any I work with film dialogue), did you want American accents or something?

At least the story wasn't an insult like skyrims was... what a joke.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing through The Witcher for the last week and I've enjoyed every little bit of it. I'm the type that likes to explore the area around me and see what little treasures are hidden and what not. The game doesn't hold your hand, as others already said, and the story line is quite complex with different paths you could potentially take. Every decision you make will also have an impact on the story, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. As for the Maps, I've not had any trouble finding my way around in the world so far. Yeah the quest icon might not always show up but that isn't to big of an issue since the Quest Log gives you a little insight.

I love RPG's esp Skyrim and i just LOVED witcher 2.

I've only had a 360 for 14 months but have been watching my flatmate play for years and i thought the storyline was great, the graphics were really beautiful in some places especially the transitions from scenery to cutscenes.

I can't wait to play it again to go down the other route to get more achievements.

Great game. Hope there will be a 3rd.

Thought Dragons Dogma was great as well and i really hope that Dragon Age 3 will live up to the expectations that the 2nd promised but didn't deliver. (Although i didn't think it was as bad as most people made out)

Edited by galeforce81

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm new to The Witcher, but it's a great game mostly.

I understand immersion in a game, but some quests are just way too vague. It says find a book on certain monsters to learn more about them - but no direction on where or who to the get the book from. I finally find the guy, but there's no indication on the map or anything like that. How was I to know I had to find the guy hiding in his house who doesn't show up on the map.

The minimap layout is awful, and the drinking potions before battle seems silly. You should be able to use the potions IN battle when you need them - not trying to guess what you'll be facing next.

I understand RPG difficulty curves, and I'm not one to die in a game and scream "it's too hard, this is impossible. " It's a learning experience, and I get that.

I think with a little fine tuning this could have been an absolutely amazing game. Instead, it's just a good game with a few minor problems.

• 3 weeks later...
i also read the thread on the guy bitching this game and tho i agreed with some points he was mainly just lazy

i have atleast given it a go, but its just too poorly designed for me the quest maps terrible there are no indications where to go at all for things when you select them as current task

i love rpg's oblivion was great ans skyrim and even dragons age 1 and 2

and im getting dragons dogma on release date

just cant get into this at all

i have a signed copy from the developers hopefully can recoup as much of cost back as can

I think this thread just made me a little stupid. Is this really necessary? This forum is to help people get achievements. I assure you nobody cares if your disappointed. I do have a trivia question for you though. If a "open world" game holds your hand all the time by showing you markers straight to the exact location of your objective and you follow that marker, does that make it linear? RPGs are about exploration. If youu don't want to explore and you need your hand held to the exact location of every objective go play CoD. Hell they even have walls surrounding you so you have no choice but to go in the right direction. You can't go the wrong way because the walls block you. Why do people like you even play RPGs?

I can't believe that was the end. There was still much to do and explain and that was it? Spoiler alert. I was told by sile to go seek someone out, why tell me this as you can't go no where, I was told what was about to happen, why as I can't do mothong about it, the ending was shit, you didn't clear your name as only you know the truth, the game just stops and says hay this is now what happend. Very disappointed. And no, none of your choices are going to affect or change number 3, as that's being released on next gen consoles so your save game means shit. Loved playing, loved the characters , ending has ruined it for me

I can't believe that was the end. There was still much to do and explain and that was it? Spoiler alert. I was told by sile to go seek someone out, why tell me this as you can't go no where, I was told what was about to happen, why as I can't do mothong about it, the ending was shit, you didn't clear your name as only you know the truth, the game just stops and says hay this is now what happend. Very disappointed. And no, none of your choices are going to affect or change number 3, as that's being released on next gen consoles so your save game means shit. Loved playing, loved the characters , ending has ruined it for me

You did see the big "2" after "the witcher" , right? Nope? Guess not! This is what is referred to as a "series". The ending wrapped up the storyline of the events of this game pretty nicely. Yes there are still questions left unanswered but that why their will be a "3". Apparently you haven't played first one. A lot of the questions that aren't answered are story arcs that started in the first game and will end in the 3rd one. Like geralt's amnesia and the wild hunt. Of course your choices aren't going to carry over because you got to see the consequences of those choices in this game and no matter the choices the overall ending is the same. It has nothing to do with next gen consoles. Your save will carry over *cough* memory stick *cough* to give you better equipment just like this one. If you play on PC you don't have to worry about your save carrying over because it definitely will. Nobody in their right mind is going to play this game on console first anyway. Just so you know, just because you say spoiler alert and then write the spoiler right afterwords doesn't make it right. You have to use spoiler tags.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to playing this after months and months and months of putting it off and ignoring it and initially I wasn't sure but.. wow.. what a game.

One of the best pieces of kit developed in a few years and I can't believe i've been missing out for this long. Tremendous game, and taught me how to enjoy a game again instead of just hunting achievement points.

Just excellent 9/10

Don't get me wrong, it looks stunning, music and atmosphere get you immersed and damn fine voice acting. But I really don't like the vagueness of the quests at all. I'm not expecting my hand held throughout. I actually kinda like that idea. But when you have no indication of what to do or where to go next, the whole headless chicken style of running around just takes that immersion away from me. I got this game in May 2012 and I am still figuring out how to find the Kayran. Just so much aimless wandering has prevented me from getting sucked in properly.

I would give the game 6.5/10 so far, but only because I've failed to get my teeth into this properly. I'm playing for the first time in 6 months today, and I sincerely hope I can get into it. I don't want to cave in and give up on it, as I've heard so many great things about it.

EDIT: Well after spending 2 days in a row on it, I've progressed to Chapter 2, and despite the map markers moving about randomly, and leading me in all directions, I've really got into this now. So I'll up my previous score to 8/10 now. Amazing soundtrack to the game, probably the best I've heard. Can see why a couple of my friends have said I should stick at it.

Edited by DecadentBeaver

• 3 months later...

the game looks pretty, and I enjoy exploring and usually ignore maps and go by memory so the complaints about the map don't bother me, but I am a huge achievement whore and the fear of screwing up and missing out on an achievement is crippling my enjoyment.

I don't want to rely on a guide, but I also don't want to miss an achievement.

Mostly I want to ignore quests and run around killing stuff without accidentally screwing up any achievement/quest/sidequest.

Edited by SpinelesS

• 1 month later...

Good game, with an adult story, and that is good. I understand the great job Cdprojekt made with this game, but I didn´t enjoy it.

Terrible fighting mechanics, some glitched door that cannot open - Baltimore quest and the cellar in the cliff hut-, and TOO MUCH cutscenes.

Also, it is impossible to me fully understand all the plot. It happens in many sword and sorcery topics: I don´t know why I am here, why I am doing certain tasks, or reasons because many events happen in the game.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder if I played a different game than most of you. The game I played had great voice-acting--but awful sound quality. The graphics were great--in the cutscenes. Usually. Some parts were just painful to watch, like the summit at Loc Muinne, where it was anyone's guess when the textures were going to pop in. The devs ought to be embarrassed. And the music was the equivalent of pop music played on "classical" instruments, so I was mystified why the producers felt that they needed to package a soundtrack with the game.

And the map? Only part of the poor quality of this game. Everyone here who defends it has smugly used the phrase "hand-holding" at some point, and decried the laziness of gamers nowadays. That's bullshit. I don't even understand the concept of being lazy about a videogame, since it's all about entertainment and enjoyment anyway. But more to the point, the reason that the map is broken is because it tries to hold your hand, but fails. How many times were you bravely exploring on your own and decided to pursue a quest which, unbeknownst to you, was impossible to complete at that time? I know I did. Was there any hint that that was the case? No, the map just led you to a random spot where there was nothing, making you wonder if there was something above or below that spot that you were missing. The problem isn't one of the gamers not being smart enough to figure things out. It's a problem of not being able to read the damn minds of the developers.

My verdict? The characters and stories are great. The gameplay is extremely poor and not user-friendly, ranging from parts that are too laughably easy on Dark to parts that are astonishingly hard on Easy. This is adapted from a book, right? Go read that book if you want a nice experience.

• 5 weeks later...

I enjoyed the game for the most part. But the map was only useful as a rough guide to where you were, and for the most part I didn't use it, and just ran around until I found what I wanted.

The biggest problem concerning the map for me was the mini map. Because at time it would just break. A number of time it would be showing the wrong location, and for some time on my Dark play it just went black.

Also with the voice acting, some of it was good. But a lot of it was terrible. It was very disjointed and the VA's didn't seem to have a clue what they were saying with little direction so most of their lines lacked emphasis. Overall it sounded like they were grabbed off the street, handed a sheet of paper and told to "Read this out loud".