are the controls that bad?

the only thing that is stopping me from getting this game is the gameplay and iv been hearing some ppl saying that the controls r awful and the saving is just terrible. so is all that true i mean i played it on the ps2 a long time ago and i have beaten all the resident evil games except this one so what do u guys think buy or no buy.

the only thing that is stopping me from getting this game is the gameplay and iv been hearing some ppl saying that the controls r awful and the saving is just terrible. so is all that true i mean i played it on the ps2 a long time ago and i have beaten all the resident evil games except this one so what do u guys think buy or no buy.

I'm in the same boat. Never played this title sadly but I am dead set on completeing it. I played for a few and got irritated. I'm going to get back into it soon and it should get better.

I wonder how many tries it will take to get Weapon Crazy...sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

How do the controls and gameplay compare to RE 4 HD? I'm almost done with my pro playthrough and absolutely love that game. The only other RE games I have played were 1 and 2 back in the day. I heard the controls were bad in this game but I originally thought that when I started 4 HD and caught on quickly and now have no gripes with them. Is this the same control scheme?

Code Veronica uses the older type of control scheme - RE4 was the first game to change the formula, hence its popularity I guess. Therefore expect static cameras and those infamous "tank" controls seen in RE 0,1,2&3.

Personally I'm a fan of both styles but I can see why people much prefer the newer style.

Hope this helps! :)

Code Veronica uses the older type of control scheme - RE4 was the first game to change the formula, hence its popularity I guess. Therefore expect static cameras and those infamous "tank" controls seen in RE 0,1,2&3.

Personally I'm a fan of both styles but I can see why people much prefer the newer style.

Hope this helps! :)

That does help! Thank you!

It isn't that the controls are bad (but they suck too), it is that the camera angles are terrible. Rather than being able to control the camera (like in Resident Evil 4,5, and RE: ORC), you get preset cameras all over the place.

I ended up quitting playing it on the PS2, as I was fighting that Tyrant boss in the plane. Couldn't figure out how to move around him, when to flick the launching switch, getting knocked out of the plane, etc.

If Capcom is going to re-release these games, I think they should at least give it the Resident Evil 4 treatment, so you have an idea of where you are, and where you're going.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Lol its funny, i just finished a RE4 run lately and the controls seem so clunky to me, i got this damn feeling of being in a third person shooter but being glued on the ground, everything is slow, can't strafe, no "sensitivity" to change...

Then i get on Code Veronica yesterday to do some battle mode and the controls feel so smooth and sample to use, i never understand people having trouble with those really... :confused:

As for the camera angle, it was made to be this way sherlock... its to scare you and you never know whats hiding in the corner that you don't see...

Its call survival horror...

Honestly i just can't figure what people find that great with RE4... the controls are a clunkier version of the RE5/6 controls, the story is forgetable... has not much link to the franchise... Sure the atmosphere(castle and on) is cool but thats about it...

Anyway personal opinion i guess, but seriously don't be afraid to play this game, the graphics aged a bit but there still "smooth" and clear, the gameplay is fun, the story is probably the best story in a RE easily.

• 8 months later...
As for the camera angle, it was made to be this way sherlock... its to scare you and you never know whats hiding in the corner that you don't see...

Its call survival horror...

Honestly i just can't figure what people find that great with RE4... the controls are a clunkier version of the RE5/6 controls, the story is forgetable... has not much link to the franchise... Sure the atmosphere(castle and on) is cool but thats about it...

Anyway personal opinion i guess, but seriously don't be afraid to play this game, the graphics aged a bit but there still "smooth" and clear, the gameplay is fun, the story is probably the best story in a RE easily.

I know that's your opinion, but sorry, I disagree.

In my opinion, survival horror is NOT about blocking your view from enemies and danger; it is the atmosphere, the feeling of powerlessness, and resources management, and before you say I am a FPS fanboy, I have played RE1 HD, 4, 5, 6, Code Veronica, Revelations 1 and 2. I also played Silent Hill 2, 3, Homecoming and Downpour. In short, I have plenty of both old and modern survival horror experience.

Countless players have said the old RE titles are the best while the modern ones are shxt. I have to ask, how many of them say so simply because of nostagia? Old RE titles are considered good, perhaps partly due to the "no one has done it before" phenomenon. I am not saying modern titles like 4, 5 and 6 are flawless, but they are not bad, while older titles, I don't find them particularly good. Still, you need to give credit to RE4, which gave birth to over-the-shoulder camera angle, which is adopted in many games following that.

Actually, if old-school survivor horror games are really that good, why didn't Shinji Mikami-san make the Evil Within exactly like that - fixed camera angle, tank controls? Because even the father of survival horror knew times changed. What was good before won't work nowadays. Both RE and survival horror must adapt and move on.

Edited by ImaginaryRuins

• 1 year later...

its a simple case of when you started playing the resident evil games. i played them when i was a kid and never and still dont have an issue with the classic tank controls. i actually enjoy the tank controls tbh, not clunky at all and the fixed camera angles dont bother me at all.

if someone has never played them before tho and is now just trying them thanks to remasters then sure they will probably come across as terrible clunky controls.

if i had to choose between playing the classics re 1,2,3,CV, outbreak series+ 1 and 0HD remasters even gun survivor 1 or playing resident evil 4,5,6,orc etc then i would go with the classics hands down as to me they are just much better games than the resident evils today.

dont get me wrong tho i do enjoy playing re4, then you got re 5 and 6 which are fun to play in coop. revelations 1 was fantastic [loved raid mode] revelations 2 sucked tho.

i know imaginary ruins says its not about the camera angle and i agree [sort of], even so the classics are far better survival horror games than what we have today. re today is more action shoot and kill everything you see with ammo all over the place, health all over the place and you can do it with friends further reducing tension.

but yeah again i think it just depends when you originally jumped into the series that will decide if the controls are bad or not.