Q&A FAQ and general help

dontgoeasyonme

Yeah seems i just have to make sure everything is balanced and then quickly go and get the takeover license. Will try next time i get on.

I only ended up taking 1 town over peacefully , it was such a ball ache, much easier to rock up with a convoy of liners , smash the towns defences and take it by force, also keep all pirates nests alive, its by far the easiest way to get all nation to be happy with you, just go to each nest , batter all the ships but dont attack the actual nest as this way the nest will keep producing pirate ships and every 20 mins or so, just go on a pirate killing expadition, you will gain loads of money and respect with all nations.

so to recap, get a letter of marque of a warring nation, go smacka few of thier ememies towns and take them by force,then ,to get ,your rep back up, go kill pirates (this will stop the nation whos towns you attack, trying to take them back).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prosperity seems tied to supply levels best way to get it up is keep checking the tavern and buy pirate goods then have your warehouse sell the goods at around 90-100% goods in town should stay around 1-2k for awhile and prosperity will go up aslong as no negative effects go through the town i.e locusts etc

• 2 weeks later...

How do you toggle building names in a town? All the main buildings used to be named, but now they arent.

EDIT: quick search tells me this goes away after part of the tutorial and you can't bring it back, which sucks.

Is it safe to visit towns with an epidemic or will your crew get sick and die?

Edited by SpinelesS

How do you toggle building names in a town? All the main buildings used to be named, but now they arent.

EDIT: quick search tells me this goes away after part of the tutorial and you can't bring it back, which sucks.

Is it safe to visit towns with an epidemic or will your crew get sick and die?

I've been to towns that have the plague and have had no problems. If you have set up trade routes then some of your ships are bound to go to an infected town at some point anyway.

Thanks Ball1e (and thanks for the link to the offline map)

I just started loosing a bunch of cash, is there an easy way to figure out where all this money loss is coming from? (I read somewhere that you get charged for storing items in your warehouses, but that doesn't make sense...)

Also I have a building that has not yet begun due to a lack of building materials, but I have wood and bricks in my warehouse... why isn't there any building going on?

Edited by SpinelesS

Thanks Ball1e (and thanks for the link to the offline map)

I just started loosing a bunch of cash, is there an easy way to figure out where all this money loss is coming from? (I read somewhere that you get charged for storing items in your warehouses, but that doesn't make sense...)

Also I have a building that has not yet begun due to a lack of building materials, but I have wood and bricks in my warehouse... why isn't there any building going on?

If you press :back: and open your journal you can find a balance sheet that gives you a break down of revenue and expenses. It doesn't give a detailed explanation of the exact cause of revenue loss. Although i agree it doesn't make sense, your warehouses will generate a daily expense so you need to make sure you have enough good coming and going to turn a profit.

As for the building materials, they will only be taken out of the town's market, not your warehouse. So you can always store your materials in there until you are ready to build but then you need to transfer them over.

the Pirates/combat in this are killing the game for me. It is just soooooo bad. Which makes me sad, as the trading and building up towns etc is sooooo good.

At this rate I'll have to go back the the PotC game on last gen Xbox, because it balanced the trade with the naval combat so well, and you could adventure on land too. Awesome game that was.

I have question about captain's skills. We have achievements that I must get all skills at 5. I have all skills at this level except two crossed swords (boarding skill?) and I can't maximise it. When I bought it in tavern from teacher after moment it dropped. Why? Has anyone had the same problem?

Edited by Sokoov

Ok, so I guess I just need some friendly reassurance from the peanut gallery here. The game finally came out here in the States and I popped it in last night, played for about 3 hours.

My question: Am I doing this shit right? lol. I achieved the rank of 'Mariner' and I'm at the mission where the Cayman Islands are in a famine, so I need to deliver 300 barrels of food to them. For all 3 hours I've pretty much just taken my ship around to about 30 different cities, buying low or what they have a lot of stock of and then going to another town and selling them what they are in need of.

It sounds so basic, but damnit, I couldn't put the controller down! I haven't messed at all with pirates or battles yet as I don't think I have any offensive capabilities, but I do have around 150.00 coinage. I've even spent a good deal of money on upgrades from the guys in Taverns. I can see this game just sucking up a good deal of my life! lol

p.s. The "narrator" guy tells me occasionally, "Turn your attention to Port Royale," but I don't understand why? I go to the town and nothing special is happening.

Edited by Eggnogga

My question: Am I doing this shit right? lol. I achieved the rank of 'Mariner' and I'm at the mission where the Cayman Islands are in a famine, so I need to deliver 300 barrels of food to them. For all 3 hours I've pretty much just taken my ship around to about 30 different cities, buying low or what they have a lot of stock of and then going to another town and selling them what they are in need of.

It sounds so basic, but damnit, I couldn't put the controller down! I haven't messed at all with pirates or battles yet as I don't think I have any offensive capabilities, but I do have around 150.00 coinage. I've even spent a good deal of money on upgrades from the guys in Taverns. I can see this game just sucking up a good deal of my life! lol

p.s. The "narrator" guy tells me occasionally, "Turn your attention to Port Royale," but I don't understand why? I go to the town and nothing special is happening.

Looks like you're doing it right dude! You can set up trade routes with other ships to help bring in more coin. If it says "you should check on Port Royale" or whatever it can mean the viceroy/govner wants to talk or your warehouse steward has a problem. If you take my advise get rid of the game now!!! Before its too late and you're really hooked!!;);)

• 3 weeks later...
I have question about captain's skills. We have achievements that I must get all skills at 5. I have all skills at this level except two crossed swords (boarding skill?) and I can't maximise it. When I bought it in tavern from teacher after moment it dropped. Why? Has anyone had the same problem?

me too...i've to maximise that and the observation skill...i don't know how

• 1 month later...

I see the rating are not good for this game, and nobody has achieved 100% yet. Why?

I have not seen any negative posts about on here but yet on Gamefly the rating is a 5.

And are some of the achievements glitched? Or just to tough? Or what?

I want to try this game out, but I wanna know what I am getting myself into here.

me too...i've to maximise that and the observation skill...i don't know how

I have a captain with 3/4/2/4/5/4 so i was going to try and max him but now for some reason I can't find anymore teachers. I go from town to town and see some people in the taverns but soon as I open the tavern it says they are gone. I'm guessing they were the teachers. I still find other types at the taverns.

Also i've been in many battles and boardings and let the captain sit on trade route for 3 years on x10 speed and no skills have gone up.

this sucks

All you need to do is focus on building up your towns and economies, once you have a tonne of money, just keep checking all the towns. Easiest way to do this is build a warehouse in every town so you don't actually have to travel there. Once done, find a town that has a teacher then save it before talking to him. Once done, just stay on the city info screen and fast forward the time to see how many days pass in between his leaving and someone else turning up in the tavern (anyone at all, not just a teacher). That is your window of waiting. Once you have the number of days in your head, reload and search for all the teachers in every city, speak to them and utilize them if you can, then fast forward that number of days, then check and again. Rinse and repeat.

To be honest though, this shouldn't be a problem, I got it buy buying the last 6 or 8 upgrades I needed whilst I was going around taking over towns peacefully. It all went by pretty fast.

I see the rating are not good for this game, and nobody has achieved 100% yet. Why?

I have not seen any negative posts about on here but yet on Gamefly the rating is a 5.

And are some of the achievements glitched? Or just to tough? Or what?

I want to try this game out, but I wanna know what I am getting myself into here.

The game itself is tough, not because it is inherently hard, but because things are explained incredibly badly. I had to figure everything out on my own, save for one or two things I asked around for explanations over. In the end I didn't even use the guide that's stickied here. It's not a bad guide at all, just the opposite, it's a good one, but whilst it told me how to get achievements, it didn't tell me how to play the game, which was more important, because you can't get all the achievements without knowing how to play the game first. Once I figured all that out, I was able to plot my own course to getting the achievements.

The achievements themselves aren't actually difficult, they're just incredibly time consuming. You will use at least the 50 hours required for that achievement getting all the other ones, and probably more. A few of them are a real grind as well.

As it stands, I have no doubt at all that I'll get all the achievements, it'll just take some time.

Also, whilst none of the achievements appear to be glitched, the actual method of unlocking some of them seem to be a little wonky. For example, one for sinking 1000 ships, it is reported that people have only got it after completing 1000 separate battles in which at least 1 ship was sunk, not a total of 1000 ships across all battles. There is also a possibility that you need to do that one manually and not with the auto combat, as I haven't got it yet and I'm pretty damn sure I'm way over 1000 different battles but most of them are Auto combat, I only ever do the manual combat for boarding ships.

If you get it, and this goes for anyone else too, whilst I have the game, I'll be happy to give you a tutorial over live or Skype (preferably Skype as my Live headset is crap). Save you playing for a week or 2 and not really making any headway.

The game itself is tough, not because it is inherently hard, but because things are explained incredibly badly. I had to figure everything out on my own, save for one or two things I asked around for explanations over. In the end I didn't even use the guide that's stickied here. It's not a bad guide at all, just the opposite, it's a good one, but whilst it told me how to get achievements, it didn't tell me how to play the game, which was more important, because you can't get all the achievements without knowing how to play the game first. Once I figured all that out, I was able to plot my own course to getting the achievements.

The achievements themselves aren't actually difficult, they're just incredibly time consuming. You will use at least the 50 hours required for that achievement getting all the other ones, and probably more. A few of them are a real grind as well.

As it stands, I have no doubt at all that I'll get all the achievements, it'll just take some time.

Also, whilst none of the achievements appear to be glitched, the actual method of unlocking some of them seem to be a little wonky. For example, one for sinking 1000 ships, it is reported that people have only got it after completing 1000 separate battles in which at least 1 ship was sunk, not a total of 1000 ships across all battles. There is also a possibility that you need to do that one manually and not with the auto combat, as I haven't got it yet and I'm pretty damn sure I'm way over 1000 different battles but most of them are Auto combat, I only ever do the manual combat for boarding ships.

If you get it, and this goes for anyone else too, whilst I have the game, I'll be happy to give you a tutorial over live or Skype (preferably Skype as my Live headset is crap). Save you playing for a week or 2 and not really making any headway.

Awesome thanks for the heads-up! So Overall what would you rate the game out of 10? And would the game manual not have all the directions in it?

But if I do need some help I will add you over live with a message reminding you why I am sending a friend request. I have no way to skype because I don't have skype or a webcam.

It's hard to rate in all honesty. There are many parts about it that I really love, and I was somewhat addicted to playing it.

BUT

There are some real issues, gameplay and menus are poorly explained for example, plus the game can be slow and awkward, and there's no real point.

I can't really recommend it to anyone in good conscience, but IF it's something you are likely to enjoy, then it is very very fun.

It's hard to rate in all honesty. There are many parts about it that I really love, and I was somewhat addicted to playing it.

BUT

There are some real issues, gameplay and menus are poorly explained for example, plus the game can be slow and awkward, and there's no real point.

I can't really recommend it to anyone in good conscience, but IF it's something you are likely to enjoy, then it is very very fun.

I am going to give it a shot. I am a big fan of Tropico and Age of Empires. And this looks almost like a mix between the two with its own little twist on it.

• 1 month later...

BUT

I am going to give it a shot. I am a big fan of Tropico and Age of Empires. And this looks almost like a mix between the two with its own little twist on it.

Finally got around to getting this game. About to try it now. I think I will really like it.