MrBubbles x360a

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol @ people complaining about the unoriginal plot. Has anyone ever took the time to study literature? No? Oh, well, let me tell you something! ALL STORIES ARE BORROWED! There is very few original stories anymore. Every single book you read, movie you watch, video game you play, is all borrowed information and references to original works from hundreds of years ago. That's a part of being an author. If I were to write a book, or anyone for that matter, I would write a successful book by borrowing ideas from things I read. I may do it unconsciously, but if you read a damn book and you're going to write a screenplay, script, or book, then you're borrowing ideas indirectly. That's how the cookie crumbles. You can make hundreds of references from many successful pieces that date back to other things. You know Pocahontas existed long before the Disney movie, right? Disney is notorious for borrowing classic folk and fairy tales. Go check out all their movies and it dates back to hundreds or thousands of years ago. A lot of folk and fairy tales existed in oral tradition.

As for Avatar being overrated: No, I don't think so. I think it's the cool thing now to call every overrated and overhyped. The movie is a quality movie. I'm glad I got to see it because not that many good movies come out anymore.

Praise the wolfpack! That was a very good post, fearless leader.

i don't know if i would call it overrated. i'm definitely not surprised it was nominated for best picture, for the same reason i'm not surprised movies like forrest gump or titanic have won in the past, that's just the way the academy works. i walked out of the theatre after seeing avatar and after seeing district 9 thinking they were awesome. i can say they were awesome for different reasons. district 9 is a fantastic, character driven story that happens to be a sci-fi flick. avatar is shallow and predictable, but it still amazed me. the story wasn't bad enough to detract too much from the overall experience, in my opinion.

i don't know much detail about the technical side of the film, but i had heard that james cameron actually developed some new techniques or technology for avatar. that alone is worthy of recognition, at least for the fact that it elevated film making to a new level technically, regardless of how thin the script may have been. even movies like lord of the rings and district 9, no matter how focused on detail and how skilled the craftsmanship, still used existing film making techniques, they just used them better than most.

i was actually pleasantly surprised that district 9 was nominated for best picture, though. i do think that was a much better movie and it would have gotten my vote for best picture, but i didn't see all the nominated movies.

now who thinks the hurt locker actually WAS the best picture of '09?

Did anyone else notice the other movies that came out this year??

Appart from District 9 i can only say one thing:

CRAP

You must not have seen Up in the Air, 500 Days of Summer, A Serious Man, Fantastic Mr. Fox, World's Greatest Dad, Inglorious Basterds, It's Complicated, Moon, The Hurt Locker, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, In the Loop, or UP.

Avatar is overrated. Good visuals, a story that we have seen before in different guises, great sound design and some unimaginative creatures. Every other animal had six legs. I mean is that as imaginative as you can get Cameron ?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but not as much as I hoped I would.

Anyhow, when I was watching this at the weekend, I couldn't help but think that this was a very very good excuse to get this on Blu-Ray and a new LED HDTV. It's an LED showcase I tell ya !

Peace !

Yes Avatar is very overrated. Though I may have enjoyed it, I was glad when "The Hurt Locker" won best picture because I fairly enjoyed it. The reason I think this was overrated because all of this hype that was just buzzing around the Theaters and movie. Plus it depends on which director. Some Directors are bigger then others such as James Cameron has already made some outstanding movies. As time goes on, that directors movies get even more famous causing a lot more hype. When this hype is at stake it puts a certain amount of pressure on that Director has to live up the standards of the fans.

i think if the dudes weren't blue id like it but since they are blue i just think its gay

This post made me laugh. What a goon.

What I found to be interesting most, is Post-Avatar Depression.

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, just google it, or whatever

search program you use.)

"groan. I wish I lived in a world like Pandora.. sigh. But I never will." pff

oh, and I still haven't got around to seeing the movie.

I went to see it with some friends but couldn't stop thinking of smurfs. The visuals were great, but I thought it would end once the tree got destroyed, BUT NO! :eek: It dragged on for another hour of blue cat hippies helplessly running around until they somehow won against futuristic mechs and VTOLs with stone age weapons... :confused:

In other words, I thought that the entire movie was stupid, and even the amazing visuals couldn't make up for it.

Yes and No. The visuals were obviously groundbreaking and the whole idea was pretty sweet. It definitely doesn't compare to any other movie that has ever came out. Dances with Wolves is similar but this movie offers so much more. I think it was brilliant and James Cameron once again has delivered excellence to everyone.

i would say it is overrated but i was impressed with the special effects (saw in IMAX and 3D) he did a really good job with the CGI and surprisingly didn't throw a bunch of shit on the screen and didn't make so much stuff fly towards you so you would get a headache after wards

The best thing is just watch it and try to limit thinking about any of the plot as much as possible, the more you are thinking about the more plot holes you find. I saw an review by redlettermedia who described the movie as "effective", using every trick in the book to make the audience care about it, but in the end it's just Cameron being a manipulative bastard. I think that sums up the movie quite well.