July Staff/Subscriber Genre Tournament - Discussion Thread

Creech

I promise it was planned, huge unnecessary postgame post to come with all the details!

I'll beat you to the unnecessarily long post.

I joined this competition with somewhere in the 80K range on gamerscore. My goal at the time, was to at least get third place for an award...and to tackle a lot of my backlog while also finally pushing myself into 100K. The first week wasn't so great...I admit, I could have done better. I could have even searched for an easy 1K or so to get a higher placement but at the time, I didn't think to do that. So my scores were pitiful for the strategy week, while Jamie's were good.

Then came along the sports week and I got to thinking "I'm probably the last person to pick up any of these sports games, so I have a chance of scoring well". At first I thought 3-4K would be fine...but somehow I felt a little more may be necessary so I bought roughly 12 sports games (only spent a max of 30 bucks) and ended up with 8K out of it. Did not like FIFA 06, it was pissing me off and I didn't get around to one of the Maddens as well as one a Backyard Sports title.

Third week was Music, eh...while I did OK in some aspects I probably couldn't have done much better. Upside? I completed Way of the Dogg and a Japanese title, plus cursed my tag with a really long game to finish .__. DDR. Not my forte...

Fourth week was shooters and I finally went back to Army of Two. Unfortunately, never did the multi so that's a game that will forever remain incomplete (though I will go back and earn the remaining achievements that ARE obtainable). Finally did Halo CEA, that silly Battle LA and I think a few more. I personally feel I could have done better this week but I feel like I slacked off a bit...despite how many shooters are in my backlog.

Fifth week was about the Card and Board games. To be honest I didn't expect much from this week but by now I was staring at a trailing lead to Team J so I couldn't just pass it up. Ended up buying two Monopoly games for 60 bucks total (got my money back after 1000ing both) plus I went and did a bit of Fable Heroes then that silly Chaotic: Shadow Warriors. "PUSH OFF!" "JUST A BIT FURTHER NOW AND I'LL BE RIGHT ONTOP OF THAT MUGIC!" "MUGIC" "MUGIC" "MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGIC".

And finally to close it out this week...the CSIs. Oh and NCIS, some Naruto...ultimately not too many problems throughout the competition though the cutting out internet at the camper was a pain. Then there was my work schedule, which often made me too tired to play when I got home (contributing to some week's scoring less than I could have). And that, is about it! Went up maybe 20K in 6 weeks? Most I've done like ever. That's one week for Stallion .__.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scotty

i've had a bad last few days, hence my lack of presence on the site and the comp, so sorry(again) to unbrokensoul for this week, but, even if we'd come first this week, we would still be 4th overall, so it wouldn't have made a difference. i was really priding myself on avoiding the duckface for the entire comp too, but alas, it wasn't to be.

anyway, congrats to the winners, and the losers.

7th place.. WOW!!!

Did not expect that at all...

All in all things were better than expected.

I had 2 "0" weeks during Music and Card & Board, a very bad Sports week (25 :gsicon: only) and also had to travel a lot during the rest of those weeks for work. A total of 1275 :gsicon: for the tournament and a bit closer to 40k (my curent goal until the end of the month;

The experience on the tournament itself was nice, l managed to get back to a couple of games, finished one of the Borderlands DLC´s and this week I took Transformers - WFC out of the back of the pile for some enjoyable moments (also got to writing a Roadmap for Transformers that did not have it)

Will definetly look forward to more tournaments like this in the future.

Edited by Mahtan Tinuviél

Weekly Totals (Adventure)

Team - GS - Points

A-Team - 4545 - 12

Scotty and the Argonauts - 3830 - 11

Corrupt and stophj - 3210 - 10

Team J - 2655 - 9

Team H - 865 - 8

Team Special K - 600 - 7

Teamnacious D - 445 - 6

Team F - 300 - 5

Team Can't Find the Turret - 80 - 4

Team L - 20 - 3

Team Whatever - 0 - 2

Team C - 0 - 2

Tournament Totals (Final)

Team - Total GS - Total Points

Team J - 24510 - 66

A-Team - 27520 - 65

Corrupt and stophj - 15246 - 60

Scotty and the Argonauts - 10005 - 55

Team Special K - 7265 - 48

Team H - 6100 - 45

Teamnacious D - 3225 - 33

Team Can't Find the Turret - 2095 - 30

Team F - 1765 - 27

Team Whatever - 785 - 20

Team L - 305 - 15

Team C - 0 - 9

Congrats to Team J, squeaking out a win despite ending up 4th the final week. Despite a higher gamerscore increase overall, the A-Team came in 2nd by only one point. Corrupt and stophj were a comfortable 3rd place. Awards should be out shortly (already gave out the fun little duck face awards, of course!)

Thank you so much Creech for hosting this it has been massive fun and has sparked my interest in many games particularly poker ones :-P.

Just imagine if we didn't come 6th first week... we were less than 70G from 5th that week which would have made us even this week >.<. 2nd is a hell of a lot more than I expected not that I doubted TV just myself.

Thanks Creech!

So first and foremost, a huge shoutout and thank you to Sprinkles! This definitely wouldn't have happened without him, he set our pace early on and kept it up throughout, giving me motivation to do that same.

Now begins the long post(s) I don't expect anybody to read EDIT: Holy shit didn't think this would take 5 posts, thought it would condense into like 3. Hope you guys don't mind. :o /edit

Overall Stats

• 14050:gsicon:
  • 534 achievements
  • 28 games
    • 23 retail, 4 XBLA, 1 GFWL
    • 13 existing, 16 purchased ($70)

I didn't have high expectations coming into this tournament. It was really an excuse for me to touch up on my backlog, to try and work out games I've put off forever (particularly XBLA). But at the same, I realized that because it was a team tournament somebody would be relying on me. So going into the tournament, I decided my activity would be dependent on my partner; if I got a partner that wasn't taking this seriously, I would be in it for my own purposes; if I got a partner that was going all in each week, I refused to be a deadbeat partner and would carry my weight. Turns out I got the latter and I couldn't be happier!

Though I'm openly apathetic towards awards, I'll sport this one with pride :dance:

So here's a breakdown of my activity and thought process throughout the tournament.

Week 1 - Strategy

Stats:

[spoiler=Vee1s]

• 885:gsicon:
  • 52 achievements
  • 5 games
    • 2 retail, 3 XBLA
    • 4 existing, 1 purchased ($4)

I didn't send a message to Sprinkles during Week 1 because I didn't think it was necessary. I didn't want to pressure him plus I didn't think I was going to do so hot, so I just let it rock.

The tournament started at the start of the month so I was completely broke, which meant I anticipated only working with my existing library for such an awful category. However Bomberman Act Zero was cheap enough that I could afford it, which contributed most of my score for the round.

Game review:

[spoiler=Vee1b]Civilization Revolution - 5 achievements for 95:gsicon: - A game I bought during the huge Games on Demand sale back in April or May. I got it because a few of my friends had it and I was always in parties when they would have fun in multiplayer, so I wanted to get in on it. The game was fun at first, but then it really started to become a drag. Matches take forever, the AI was illogical as hell, and it's not so much challenging as it is tedious. Before the Round formally started I anticipated getting at least 300g, but I was barely able to sit through enough for 95g.

Age of Booty - 12 achievements for 200:gsicon: - I bought this game over 3 years ago during a sale for 200 MSP, and just never found a reason to play it. One of my friends vouched for it, but it wasn't enough for me to start playing. Well I started playing it for the tournament and I hated it. It was so random, the odds were stacked, upgrades were hard to obtain, and the missions were unreasonable. I couldn't even get past the second mission! So I put it down for a day or so then tried again, and learned that you only need to hold a majority of towns when time runs out to win. After learning that, it was easier to grasp and I ended up enjoying it a fair bit.

A World of Keflings - 9 achievements for 150:gsicon: - Bought this 2 years ago along with Kingdom for Keflings, and just never felt like playing it. This game was so boring, I swear I fell asleep a few times during it.

Bomberman: Act Zero - 24 achievements for 415:gsicon: - The game that helped me salvage this category and show I'm not a deadbeat teammate. This game took a bit to get into, mostly because I played on FPB mode first which was awful. After switching to One Life mode, the game brought back good memories of the older Bomberman games. The difficulty was so high at the start that it was a huge accomplishment when I made it past Wave 5 for the first time! I eventually got the hang of it, learning where to score a bunch of lives and which powerups allowed me to clean house, and eventually beat it well under the time needed for various achievements. A lot of fun and an excellent addition to my library.

Defense Grid - 2 achievements for 25:gsicon: - Obtained from Games For Gold. The only reason I actually played this was because I thought we were in a solid second place for the round, then 20 minutes until the end of the round I noticed Scotty/Unbrokensoul had 25 more points than us :eek: So I booted up this game in a hurry after comparing it with my brother who had 25g in it. I hoped I could get it in a hurry, unfortunately the tutorial took forever and as the first mission progressed without any kind of difficulty, I wondered if the Silver/Gold medal achievements came from the second mission onward (which I didn't have time for). Thankfully they popped 7 minutes before deadline, but it turns out that it was unnecessary because Scotty just sucks at math and tormented me for no reason.

We got second place in Round 1, a very nice start for a tournament I wasn't ready to take seriously.

Edited by Veedrock

Week 2 - Sports and Fitness

Stats:

[spoiler=Vee2s]

• 4300:gsicon:
  • 104 achievements
  • 5 games
    • 5 retail
    • 6 purchased ($9)

Well shit, this is the one category I was seriously dreading going into this. All of my existing games were either already close to done, or would take quite awhile to really rack up point. However I did have some money to mess with, so I messaged Sprinkles to see what he had in store. Again if he wasn't committed I would have just messed around with Kinect games or something, but he had some serious plans in store for the week. Here's our PM exchange.

[spoiler=PMw2]================================================================================

To : Brtas Zowes

Date : 2013-07-07 07:34

Title : Round 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How hard do you plan to hit in Round 2? Wondering just how much I'll need to degrade myself to keep up :p (ie I need a shopping list)

================================================================================

To : Veedrock

Date : 2013-07-07 08:23

Title : Re: Round 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I'm at work right now but just looking through my backlog of games left to complete I am hoping to put in between 2000-3000 easily and than just going to try and keep up with the other teams. I have to work all week so it might be a struggle to score over 4000gs which is my goal.

================================================================================

Date : 2013-07-13 04:11

Title : Statuse

I'm at 4300 gamerscore right now, unfortunately work means I can't contribute much if anything today so that may be my final score; wanted to let you know so you could gauge if you wanted to pump out some extra gamerscore or not.

It'll take some serious gameage to catch up to A-Team due to TV alone, but that team was in the middle of rankings last round so him finishing in first isn't a big deal.

Team OG is sitting at 3320 right now, as far as I can tell they've been updating once daily so they have at least one last push in them, I can't imagine it being too much but they're the ones we need to beat so it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side.

Even better, if we could pass A-Team and finish 2 places ahead of Team OG that'd put us in a wonderful position next round. Got anything in the pipeline? If you do I might be able to pick up NBA 2k6 before work and 1K it, but that'd be all I could accomplish. Only worthwhile if you've got some things up your sleeve (unless I read your gamercard wrong and you have way more sports points than I saw).

Scotty's team is not doing so hot so no pressure there, same with Special K and Turret. Everyone else is filler.

===

Also I had a really good team name then I forgot it >_< I'll keep trying to remember it, otherwise I'll post my backup tomorrow.

Date : 2013-07-13 20:19

Title : Sports Week and Next Week

Yea I hear you about work...I got screwed this week with both jobs and I didn't nearly have as much game time as I would have liked. I only managed to put up about 1960 this week. With your 3400 we have a total of 5360 which I think will be enough to beat out Team OG this week.

As for next week, Music, I am shooting for 1k the following games:

Nickelodeon Dance 2

Victorious: Time to Shine

Nickelodeon Dance (if I can find this one)

Also I am going to continue to work on a few Guitar Hero and Rock Band games I have laying around including DJ hero.

And just for some good news the two weeks following the Music week, I am taking vacation from my jobs so I should be able to put in a lot of gaming time.

Date : 2013-07-14 00:27

Title : Re: Next Week

I'm plenty of happy with how we're doing, so don't sweat any dips in activity. While I initially didn't care much about the tournament (only joining for an incentive to play games in general), I'm in it to win it now and at this rate we're on track! :D

As for next week, I don't have a solid gamerscore estimate yet. I definitely plan to play Rock Band 1, 2, and possibly Green Day, going through the World Tours and knocking out most of those achievements. I'll probably grab Band Hero as well since it's easy. Other games I'm eyeing right now are DDR Universe 1+2, as those are advertised to be very easy 700+ gamerscore each. I would get 3 as well but it's not at any of my local Gamestops and I doubt it'd deliver in time for the Round.

Things aren't looking to favorable for the tournament at large this week. Team OG's dak said he doesn't have much to gain from Music, but knowing him he'll find something to score a decent amount; Temporal hasn't said anything himself but looking through is gamercard he doesn't have any history with Music games, so I think we can rule out anything that requires peripherals besides Kinect. Still though, there's some easy Kinect games that he might be able to boost, we'll have to keep an eye on them (easy enough since they do daily updates).

Meanwhile everyone else has pretty much accepted defeat this round. I wish they would at least put up some fight to try and slow OG down, we really need to skip ahead by more than a single point at a time. I would post something about it, but I don't want to poke the bear and put Team OG on the offensive. Same reason I waited to post my scores this week.

...I wonder if anybody else is analyzing this as much as I am :o

Well, with Sprinkles promising at least 2k-3k and hoping for 4k, I couldn't sit by with pitiful scores. There were plenty of easy Sports games and most of them were dirt cheap, it's just that my gamercard shows that I'm not one to grab a game simply for easy points :p I swallowed my pride though, since I generally don't care about my gaming history, and I went out and I bought 6 games on the cheap and started working through them.

Game review:

[spoiler=Vee2b]Fight Night Round 3 - 8 achievements for 1000:gsicon: - Easily the most enjoyable game I played this week. Even though I took all the difficulty out of it by putting in on Easy and turing off illegal moves, it was fun to beat down on people. After awhile I stopped using illegal moves and just stuck with heavy punches, and after a few hours work I got through it all. Never went down once, though random difficulty spikes meant I was on my toes for a number of matches.

Madden NFL 07 - 23 achievements for 680:gsicon: - I couldn't find Madden 06, so I had to start with 07. I spent too much time on this game, wasn't efficient at all. If I spent less time here, I would have had lower score for it but would have had time for another game entirely which would have easily made up for it.

Madden NFL 08 - 42 achievements for 860:gsicon: - Very straightforward, I followed the achievement guide and got what I could in a short time.

Madden NFL 09 - 20 achievements for 800:gsicon: - Very straightforward, I followed the achievement guide and got what I could in a short time.

NBA Live 06 - 11 achievements for 960:gsicon: - I hate basketball. The AI are all a bunch of shitmuncher for making those 4th quarters a living hell with those intentional fouls. Seriously I couldn't even pass the ball in without getting fouled immediately. But beyond that, very straightfoward to get all the achievements.

For those following at home, I didn't make a mistake when I said I played 5 but bought 6. I bought Madden 10, but didn't have time to play it. I'll get around to it eventually.

And with that showing, we scored another second place for the tournament. We beat out Team OG (Corrupt/Stoph) which was our primary goal, as TV blitz this round something fierce to make a first place finish improbable. We were tied for first place overall.

Week 3 - Music and Rhythm

Stats:

[spoiler=Vee3s]

• 3100:gsicon:
  • 120 achievements
  • 5 games
    • 5 retail
    • 1 existing, 4 purchased ($16)

Music and Rhythm wasn't a terrible category for me. I had plenty of games to play between the Rock Band games with a little bit of Kinect, but quick score was a bit of an issue. Most other teams accepted defeat this week, so I didn't expect much resistance. We would soon be proven wrong. PM exchange for the week:

[spoiler=PMw3]================================================================================

Date : 2013-07-18 01:02

Title : Music status

Figured I'd follow up with you before the last day this time around :p

I messed up the team names in my last PM, whoops.

Team OG (now known as Corrupt & Stoph) is on top of their game, and because I messed up the players in my review last week they kind of snuck up on me >_>; Corrupt had two easy games that gave them a big boost, Band Hero and Sing It, beyond that it has been small gains from multiple games. Hopefully they don't have any more easy retail games in store and only have incremental gains from here.

I've gotten 810 from Band Hero and 560 from DDRU2 so far, so if I added the numbers right we're only about 200 points behind them right now. I plan to grab DDRU1 after work tomorrow, which should give me another 600+ points; after that if we maintain the lead I'll probably blast through Dance Central for a few hundred. If Team OG pulls more cards from their sleeve, I'm ready to grab Nickelodeon Dance 2 as a last resort (the first game elusive). Unfortunately I can't really find any other easy games in my area.

Looking ahead, are there any future genres that might give you trouble? I'm legit concerned that when common categories start showing up I'll have issues keeping up with everyone else; I'm basically imagining everyone else doing what TVthePunisher did in Sports x_x

That's not to say I'll slow down, as I think I could pull a few thousand from each common genre, I just don't know if I can speed up much.

Date : 2013-07-18 16:59

Title : Re: Music status

Well as you could see I have already played Nickelodeon Dance 2 ( the first has also eluded me so far too), some DJ Hero, and Rock Band 3. I'm currently playing Victorious right now so that is another 1000. How long did it take for Band Hero, cause I can get that game tomorrow. I also could throw a couple hundred from Dance Central.

As far as the next couple of weeks, I am actually taking vacation from work for the next two weeks so I will have a lot of free time to play. The only genres I am worried about are RPGs and Racing. I never played many of either of these two genres so I have lots of games to choose from but I am not very good at that.

But I am going to try me best to keep us at the top and win this thing.

Date : 2013-07-18 17:20

Title : Re: Music status

Band Hero takes maybe 4-5 solid hours to get roughly 800g, though almost all of that is just sitting through songs (great for multitasking); the rest of the achievements are perfectly doable, they just take a little longer. If you grab it we could tackle the band achievements, I'm available from this time on tomorrow all the way through Saturday.

Speaking of, if there's any LIVE achievements in RB3 that you need let me know. I can't recall the achievement list off the top of my head but I'm sure there's a few.

Didn't even know about Victorious, I'll grab that instead of ND2 should the need arise.

Date : 2013-07-20 11:25

Title : Last music update and next week

Team OG stopped updating despite making some good progress, maybe they're onto me X)

I went through and added up their totals manually, assuming I didn't goof up they have 3140g right now, while we have 4470g. Only super concerning thing I saw was that Corrupt has Victorious, but he hasn't been playing it for some reason. Even so, that alone wouldn't be enough for them to catch up to us, though it'll definitely narrow the gap. While we're probably safely be out of reach, it'd definitely be guaranteed if DDRU1 cooperates with me or if you get through Band Hero.

Also I'll be sure to check all of your links this week, I checked two of them last week and they were good, so I just assumed the rest were x_x

Next week is shooters, uuuugh. I have no idea what to expect from everyone else. I'm going to start off by grabbing Fracture, Prey, and Frontlines: Fuel of War and getting a head start on them right at the Round change, after that I'll have to decide based on how everyone else is doing.

Unfortunately my free time this week is spotty, work is giving me split days off and several different shifts.

Date : 2013-07-20 12:56

Title : Re: Last music update and next week

Hey don't forget about the a-team (tv and Jamie) they already have a score into the 5000 this week....im going to try and bust band hero out and than try to grind a few hundred more of rock band and dance central if there is time

Date : 2013-07-20 13:46

Title : Re: Last music update and next week

Wait what O_O Totally didn't look at the latest update from jamie, yikes. Thanks for messaging back about that.

This is a good thing though, if we finish ahead of A-team that'll put us 2 points above Team OG overall. DDRU1 is not going well so I'll go grab Victorious right now and pump out that 1000g.

So this week Corrupt/Stoph were pumping out a lot of score early in the Round, way more than I expected. Sing It! was a game I was unaware of and I tried to find it to even the score, but I didn't have any luck finding it. Luckily Sprinkles had earned quite a lot, so we were in pretty good shape.

Then out of nowhere jamie pulls some ridiculous number out for the A-Team, something I completely miss on my last update PM. Luckily Sprinkles caught it and notified me, so I went and grabbed Victorious while he grinded out Band Hero, giving us something like 1700g for that day to pull out a clutch victory.

Game review:

[spoiler=Vee3b]Band Hero - 34 achievements for 810:gsicon: - I really didn't do anything here, I sat my fan in front of the mic and went through the menus. No opinion.

Dance Dance Revolution Universe - 13 achievements for 390:gsicon: - The appeal to getting these games was my turbo controller. With it I could hit 100% Perfect notes on any and every song. However, the Quest mode in this game sucked. The competition placements being random meant that specific unlock achievements were a bitch to get (I still need 3 of them). Then the final competition is serious broken; even scoring 500+ Perfect notes, I could barely manage a quarter of a bar against my opponent! There were ways to improve the odds, but it was just so random and frustrating to do.

Dance Dance Revolution Universe 2 - 28 achievements for 840:gsicon: - I played this before the first game actually, and the Quest mode here is sooo much better. Very straightforward, though I was a bit concerned when I played through every song and the "play all song" achievement didn't pop. Turns out you just have to go play some remixes in one of the challenge areas or something, nothing huge.

Rock Band - 3 achievements for 60:gsicon: - I expected to get so much more score from this series in general this week. I own every Rock Band game except Beatles and one of the Track Packs, but I've only really gone through RB3. The gigs in this game just ended up taking way too long for me to really get anywhere, so I had to hang it up only a few points in.

Victorious - 42 achievements for 1000:gsicon: - The clutch! This game was surprisingly decent. The songs were catchy, the dancing and movement in general were fun, and it was super easy to follow. The only awkward song was BFB, but that's not enough to sully this game.

And with that, we sniped A-team, got 1st place for the Round, putting us up 2 points ahead of Corrupt/Stoph to be the only first place in the tournament.

Edited by Veedrock

Week 4 - Shooters

Stats:

[spoiler=Vee4s]

• 2950:gsicon:
  • 136 achievements
  • 8 games
    • 7 retail, 1 GFWL
    • 6 existing, 2 purchased ($5)

This is a week I've been dreading as seen in my previous PMs. While I certainly had my fair share of games to play, I was worried that this was when everybody else would finally start trying and curb stomp me. PM log:

[spoiler=PMw4]================================================================================

Date : 2013-07-24 14:06

Title : Shooter Week

Hey I thought I would be the one to send the update so far for this week. So here it is, as of 530pm over here on the east coast we have a combined score of 2345 and are in the lead this week. Corrupt x360 & Stophj have a combined score of 1360 and the A-team are at 1125.

I don't know what you have left to play or how much time you plan on playing the rest of the week. But here what my plan for the rest of the week is:

Homefront: I have to finish up the single player

Darkest of Days: the full 1000

Call of Duty (arcade): 180 left to get

Heavy Fire: Full 1000 if we need the points

Good luck gaming

Sprinkles

Date : 2013-07-27 00:52

Title : Re: Shooter Week

I'm currently at 1850g. Not sure how much more I can do, I have to go to bed now and work tomorrow goes from 8 hours before deadline until deadline. I might be able to game some before then, but I can't imagine it'll be much.

Adding in your scores we're at 3500g at this time.

Corrupt/Stoph are at 2450g, we've got a pretty good lead on them. I don't think either have any quick games to fall back on, so we should be good here.

It looks like A-Team is either at 3135g or 3355g, some of jamie's timestamps are kind of confusing me and idk if it's a regional thing that's messing it up or if he really goofed and scored some before the round. Either way it's not far behind us, kind of troublesome. Considering the upset we pulled last week, I'm not convinced they're not planning something of their own. I don't want to put all the responsibility on you to keep us ahead so I'll do my best to see about getting another game or boosting some multiplayer before work, but I can't make any promises.

Date : 2013-07-27 13:51

I will do my best to keep us at the top. I just took a quick look at the scores with about 9 hours left to go and here is what I got:

Corrupt/stoph are currently at 2330

A-team currently at 3500

We are currently at 4640, according to my calculations.

So hopefully we take this week and focus on the next one.

Date : 2013-07-27 14:12

Woah you're right, I messed up big time last night when adding up my scores, whoops. Much less concerned now! I managed an extra 285 from Bad Company 2 (which you seem to have already factored in), so we should be pretty good especially adding in whatever you get today. I'd just keep an eye on A-Team to make sure they don't have something tricky up their sleeve, otherwise take it easy.

Next week is gonna be tough though...I can grab Chaotic for 1000g, but anything beyond that is iffy. Will PM you more about it later, gotta get ready for work now.

Well my fears never came to fruition, despite being a very easy genre very few teams actually put out much score. Kind of depressing really, took a lot of the fun out of the tournament. Anyways we were pretty solid throughout, I just did a single playthrough for a number of games to earn a decent amount of gamerscore in each.

Game review:

[spoiler=Vee4b]Battlefield Bad Company 2 - 19 achievements for 285:gsicon: - The only reason I played this was because we didn't have that great of a lead (or so I thought), so I wanted to add a few hundred score so that Sprinkles wasn't burdened with trying to keep us ahead. Turned out to be unnecessary, and since I was in a hurry and skipped all the cutscenes/collectibles, I'll have to go through it again sometime.

Crysis - 27 achievements for 625:gsicon: - Awesome game, made even more awesome by 3D. I loved the gameplay, notably that while the objectives were linear, the world was so open that you could approach it in many different ways. I wish more games were like this.

Frontlines: Fuel of War - 15 achievements for 360:gsicon: - Not a bad game, though not exactly great. The characters were the real issue here, there wasn't anything memorable about them so it was really just a war simulation rather than a story.

Gears of War 2 - 4 achievements for 305:gsicon: - I told my brother that I needed to play shooters for this week and suggested to him that we finish up Gears 2 so I could get the difficulty/collectible achievements. We did it and had a blast.

Homefront - 25 achievements for 345:gsicon: - I bought this at release, buying into the hype for the multiplayer and it fell flat for me. Why must every multiplayer game be plagued by douchebags? Anyways, I never truly got around to the single player until now. It was a great story but I feel like there wasn't enough context to make it worthwhile. We spend 6 missions getting some jet fuel, then we never see why it's so important. It's never explained why San Diego is so important, or why the military has been having so many problems taking it back. It was a great buildup to a very mediocre finish.

Perfect Dark Zero - 3 achievements for 30:gsicon: - Got this game years ago on the cheap, just started playing it recently because my brother got it during the Games on Demand sale. The achievements I got were strickly from multiplayer, but I want to say that that campaign seems fine to me. I'm not sure why it's criticized by so many, it feels a lot like the first Perfect Dark.

Prey - 26 achievements for 685:gsicon: - The gameplay here was decent, but I couldn't get into the story at all. The main character was stagnant and I wasn't overly happy with all the explanations at the end.

Resident Evil: ORC - 17 achievements for 315:gsicon: - Already have this on Xbox, grabbed it from Steam during the Summer Sale. Just a quick playthrough on Professional to grab these achievements.

We finished first that week, while Corrupt messed up a link and lost all of his points, which put us 5 points ahead of everyone else and in an excellent position to win the tournament.

Week 5 - Card and Board

Stats:

[spoiler=Vee5s]

• 1300:gsicon:
  • 44 achievements
  • 2 games
    • 1 retail, 1 XBLA
    • 1 existing, 1 purchased ($5)

Really not much to say here, this week wasn't exciting. It was the first of the month again so I was broke, but even then I didn't want to spend tons of money on games when we really didn't need that much to stay in first. It doesn't help that so many other teams were pretty much done by this point, and simply avoiding the duckface was a victory for them. We didn't exchange any PMs this week because of that, we both knew the drill.

Game review:

[spoiler=Vee5b]Chaotic - 17 achievements for 930:gsicon: - PUSH OFF! Haha actually I didn't have much issue with the dialogue in the game, I realize it's based off a kids show so I rolled with it. What really bugged me was the tedious exploring, trying to find everything. It just really got to me for some reason.

Fable Heroes - 27 achievements for 370:gsicon: - I bought this awhile ago, never played it because I wanted to play it with friends but the tournament kinda forced my hand. I'm not complaining though, it was a good amount of fun and now I can start Fable: The Journey with a ton of gold.

Finishing in second, we were still in first place overall by 4 points, which meant victory was pretty much guaranteed.

Edited by Veedrock
spoiler fail

Week 6 - Adventure

Stats:

[spoiler=Vee5s]

• 1515:gsicon:
  • 78 achievements
  • 3 games
    • 3 retail
    • 1 existing, 2 purchased ($30)

Last week and a decent category. Unfortunately the site's categorization needed some work, but it was still a great category. Still though, with the competition almost over and only a few teams even having a shot at top three, there wasn't much to look forward to here. We knew that the only way to not finish first was to finish in fifth place or below, something that was very unlikely due to only 4 teams putting out consistent scores (A-team, Corrupt/stoph, Argonauts, Team J). PM Exchange:

[spoiler=PMw6]================================================================================

Date : 2013-08-05 17:47

Title : Final Week!

The home stretch! We're sitting pretty right now, the only way we could possibly fall out of 1st is if we finish fifth or lower this week, which definitely shouldn't happen as long as our links are good :p I'm not going to mention that fact in the thread though, once again a paranoid precaution against getting everyone to try and make us lose.

May have been sorta obvious by now, but TVthePunisher has been keeping an eye on us, he sent me a message about Chaotic shortly after I started playing it. So no more surprise scoring against them, but that's pretty unnecessary at this point. Thought I'd let you know anyways.

I've already got 1000g from Batman, about to start Enslaved; after that I've no major plans for the round. I'll still work on it some (XBLA mostly) as well as make sure we're in good standing, but I suspect we won't need much more to finish near the top of the Round. I wonder why people are resorting to W8 games and such to get score, it's not a bad category.

Date : 2013-08-08 13:47

Title : Re: Final Week!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, its been a extremely crazy last 10 days or so. First off thank you for posting my scores last week. As far as this week goes I just finished CSI: Fatal Conspiracy for the full 1000. After that I don't really have a plan for the rest of the week. I might try to play some Open Season or Batman AC. I do believe we are sitting in a pretty good spot right now.

Date : 2013-08-10 00:09

Title : Re: Final Week! (Last Day Update)

We're solid going into the last day. The only teams with noticeable score right now are A-Team (over 4k), Corrupt/stoph (2565), Argonauts (2130), and ourselves (2655). A-Team is way out in front, while we've got a decent lead on the Argonauts but are only barely ahead of Corrupt/stoph.

Still nothing of major concern though, even if all three finish ahead of us we'll get 7 points, putting us at 66 total for the tournament, while A-Team will only hit 65 with a first place finish this week. The only way we could possibly lose is if another team pulls out something ridiculous, which I can't imagine happening considering the next highest score I noticed was only 200g after a quick check of everybody.

Hurrah!

Game review:

[spoiler=Vee6b]Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY - 47 achievements for 1000:gsicon: - Very straightfoward as I'd done it two times before. Been meaning to polish off the completions anyways so I can move on to Arkham City without regrets.

Enslaved - 24 achievements for 405:gsicon: - This game was enthralling, but the pacing was pretty wacky. Additionally, the ending fell kinda flat. It made sense and tied in especially well with subtle things like the masks, but it left a lot of questions that desperately needed answers. Felt rushed if you will. Additionally, the final "boss" wasn't anything to write home about, I wish they would have done something different with that. I'll come back to this some other time.

Kinectimals - 7 achievements for 110:gsicon: - Cute game, was crushed to learn I couldn't get an Ocelot :(

And as predicted in my PMs, only a few teams put out noticeable score and we were secured first place with little effort.

===

Thanks for hosting Creech, and thanks for the fun everyone! Would have been better if more teams were active, but the scoring system allowed for a pretty close finish despite that. As mentioned by jamie things would've been different if they didn't throw away Round 1, and it would also have been a bit tighter of a finish if Corrupt didn't botch his link in Shooters.

Edited by Veedrock
Thanking Creech to get on his good side

Post 1

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb28h8AwXu1rziwwco1_250.gif

Post 2

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/do-not-like.gif

"It'll take some serious gameage to catch up to A-Team due to TV alone, but that team was in the middle of rankings last round so him finishing in first isn't a big deal."

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m88hhilZlc1rziwwco1_250.gif

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/18/e0be4e55c2964260abf3ff158cc8f1d6/l.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/1zc37vb.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll8864ihso1qg742l.gif

Post 3

http://media.tumblr.com/4b522b4846a30e04cc461d994c600aa9/tumblr_inline_mgmj7jfxzp1qgyuaa.gif

Post 4

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7sa24LqQE1rziwwco1_250.gif

May have been sorta obvious by now, but TVthePunisher has been keeping an eye on us, he sent me a message about Chaotic shortly after I started playing it. So no more surprise scoring against them, but that's pretty unnecessary at this point. Thought I'd let you know anyways.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ck85UAFx1rziwwco1_250.gif

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7cjbxVXrG1rziwwco1_400.gif

Very impressive selection of posts there. Nice and organized, detailed...calculating. And I read them all! Specifically the ones pertaining to the A Team.

(Note: the "bored" faces did not mean I was bored with your posts ;>__> DONT' GET OFFENDED)

I might come back with my own set of posts, but for now...WELL DONE!

I don't have a long detailed post like my teammate like Veedrock but I do have some words to say.

First off I would like to thank my teammate, Veedrock, also Creech for running this and all the other teams involved. I originally decided to take part in the tourament as a way to push my passed the 100k Gs. As you read from Veedrock earlier posts as the weeks went on we both wanted to win. I have taken part in a few GSL but this is the first tourament award I have ever won and I feel like I have been a member of the site forever.

I look forward to future contest, maybe even a second genre score challenge in which Team J can go for the repeat.

Congratulations to Team J, the A-Team and Corrupt and stophj for taking the top 3 positions. I could only dream of some of the totals you guys put up in this competition, while I seemed to do little more than collected the Duck Face PMs. :p

Thank you to my partner Judge Bergan. Apologies I couldn't be around more to help out, but I hope we get to do this again sometime in the future when I can hopefully put more time into gaming. Thank you to Creech for hosting and running the competition as always too. At least AC: Brotherhood saved me from ending the competition with a duck face. :D

Cheers all.

One hell of a write-up there, Veedrock, and yes, I noticed your edit reason. :dance:

Seriously, I am glad you guys had fun, and it was fun for me as well reading all the responses to the various genres. I really should have done the whole story deal each week like I did for adventure, but it didn't occur to me until late in the competition.

Cheers!

Congratulations to Team J, the A-Team and Corrupt and stophj for taking the top 3 positions. I could only dream of some of the totals you guys put up in this competition, while I seemed to do little more than collected the Duck Face PMs. :p

Thank you to my partner Judge Bergan. Apologies I couldn't be around more to help out, but I hope we get to do this again sometime in the future when I can hopefully put more time into gaming. Thank you to Creech for hosting and running the competition as always too. At least AC: Brotherhood saved me from ending the competition with a duck face. :D

Cheers all.

Yep, was fun, and also got to clear up my backlog, a little bit. :)

Congrats guys. A big apology to Doug as I scored shit every week, and had no time the aest 2 weeks.

Hey, it could have been worse. I had my router die on me (the curse of this competition continues), so I am basically without internet for the next week. That could have happened last week to Duck Face me.

Besides, after the second week, I really wasn't looking at a podium finish anyway.

Oddly enough, I am without internet and still support an always online console...