Anyone having difficulty buying a house in Falkreath?

IMPOSSIBLE DAN

@ Jack Frost:

It's not unique at all, with the exception of a few quests my problem seems extremely similar.

Well, that's good to know because in searching for anyone who's having problems with Falkreath, I find they are dealing with Seddgeir most of the time or they've sided with the Imperials, so all of the solutions offered just don't apply to me.

2 things:

1) Have you killed the female vampire at Half-moon mill near Falkreath or is she still "alive"?

Not sure. Is she the woman running the mill? If so, then she is definitely still alive.

2) I also have a quest I can't hand in to Skald and the inactive diamond refuses to change to an active arrow. If your mill female is alive I'm starting to think Skald may well be our causal factor for the problem. However I sided with the Imperials in the civil war and in my game Skald's holed up in the Palace of the kings at the main meal table watched over by some newly assigned Imperial guards.

But Skald doesn't have any connection to Falkreath, and in fact is one of the three Jarls that'll allow you to buy land. As I mentioned, he had no problem selling the plot to me despite not finishing his quest. So while I can see the connection, I'm really not sure how it pertains to either of our problems. But then this game has buggy things like that so... :D

While searching for fixes, the most common thing I came across that worked for others seemed to be that they didn't complete a set of radiant quests called Rare Gifts that involved Seddgeir and several others before Seddgeir would open the dialogue for land purchase.

So when I discovered that Dengeir also has a set of radiant quests that he's part of called Some Light Theft, I went ahead and made sure I had those quests done. The only one I hadn't completed in the set was for an Argonian in Windhelm, but completing the quest set still didn't unlock the dialogue for me, but you might want to look into it. :/

P.S. I did start a new character who'd had no connection with Falkreath whatsoever and the ONLY quests she did for Siddgeir was the "kill the bandits in Ember mine". No "help the people" requirement and she wasn't a thane in Falkreath.

And what was the outcome? Were you able to purchase the plot of land?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's good to know because in searching for anyone who's having problems with Falkreath, I find they are dealing with Seddgeir most of the time or they've sided with the Imperials, so all of the solutions offered just don't apply to me.

Like I mentioned I did complete the Imperial side, I can't stand the Stormcloaks since reading the Thalmor report that Ulfric works for them to de-stabalise the area :D. I'm trying to identify the differences, the similarities and what effects each situation.

Not sure. Is she the woman running the mill? If so, then she is definitely still alive.

Yes and damn, she seemed to be one thing that was always the same until then :(.

But Skald doesn't have any connection to Falkreath, and in fact is one of the three Jarls that'll allow you to buy land. As I mentioned, he had no problem selling the plot to me despite not finishing his quest. So while I can see the connection, I'm really not sure how it pertains to either of our problems. But then this game has buggy things like that so... :D

While searching for fixes, the most common thing I came across that worked for others seemed to be that they didn't complete a set of radiant quests called Rare Gifts that involved Seddgeir and several others before Seddgeir would open the dialogue for land purchase.

So when I discovered that Dengeir also has a set of radiant quests that he's part of called Some Light Theft, I went ahead and made sure I had those quests done. The only one I hadn't completed in the set was for an Argonian in Windhelm, but completing the quest set still didn't unlock the dialogue for me, but you might want to look into it. :/

Can do, are you talking about an Argonian in the docks? If so, which one? If I remember that quest name properly isn't it something about stealing a letter or a random item from a random person? I'm quite certain I've already done that for Dengeir whilst he was just walking around Falkreath when Siddgeir is still Jarl.

And what was the outcome? Were you able to purchase the plot of land?

Yes, no problem at all, nothing but the Ember mine bandit quest and the cash for the land.

The worst part of this is they put certain conditions in the game you pay for, you follow them, then buy another piece of the game which you can only partially use. Naff.... :(

Like I mentioned I did complete the Imperial side, I can't stand the Stormcloaks since reading the Thalmor report that Ulfric works for them to de-stabalise the area :D. I'm trying to identify the differences, the similarities and what effects each situation.

I can dig that. But right now, I am having a very difficult time seeing any kind of pattern in these various situations beyond something is clearly not coded correctly for Falkreath - especially after Dengeir becomes Jarl.

I even tried this:

1. I backed out of my current game and deleted the Hearthfire DLC.
  2. Reloaded the game without Hearthfire. (It told me some assets would be missing because the DLC wasn't there, but otherwise it loaded fine.)
  3. Saved this Hearthfire-less version and backed out again.
  4. Re-downloaded the Hearthfire DLC.
  5. Loaded up the save game created in step 3.
  6. Courier arrives and tells me he's got a letter from a Jarl and mentions adoption.
  7. Open my inventory, there is no letter whatsoever from any Jarl in any hold but Consider Adoption is there, as always.

So it seems I'm not even getting the letter in the first place, which I just don't understand. Even if I couldn't finish the quest, I should still have the letter in my inventory, but it simply is not there.

Yes and damn, she seemed to be one thing that was always the same until then :(.

Someone on the Bethesda forum suggested I go and sell her firewood to see what happens, so I did. She paid me, but nothing changed. So the person suggested I go cut wood for her this time. Haven't tried that yet, but I do not have high hopes it'll move things along.

Can do, are you talking about an Argonian in the docks? If so, which one? If I remember that quest name properly isn't it something about stealing a letter or a random item from a random person? I'm quite certain I've already done that for Dengeir whilst he was just walking around Falkreath when Siddgeir is still Jarl.

The Argonian's name is Stands-in-Shallows and he wants a bottle of Double-Distilled Skooma that can be found in a nearby pub in Windhelm.

For Dengeir, he wants a letter from Lod's place, and, like you, I did this for him when Seddgeir was Jarl. But given that Rare Gifts needed to have all segments complete before Seddgeir coughs up the land option, I figured that might apply to Dengier as well. So far, I'm incorrect, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. ;)

Here's a link to the wiki page for the quests:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Some_Light_Theft

The worst part of this is they put certain conditions in the game you pay for, you follow them, then buy another piece of the game which you can only partially use. Naff.... :(

Absolutely.

If Hearthfire had come out within a month or so of the original game, that's one thing, but this thing came out so long after I'd completed the game (and I know I'm not the only one) that to make the conditions be so cryptic and arbitrary is just a dick move.

Like I said in my post to them, I really wish there'd been a beta because then the problem might've actually gotten addressed.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok. I had the same thing happen and the Jarl eventually said I was able to buy land, but the Steward doesn't give me the option to buy the land. What did I do wrong?

I had this same problem. I was able to complete the Mead/Bandit Leader quests, then he thanks me and says I can buy land. I talk to the steward immediately after and didn't get the option. I check in occasionally and get the jobs to kill a dragon of bandit leader but that's it. I did kill what's his name for the DB before I ever spoke to anyone in Falkreath but I was not seen. His body has never disappeared though. I also killed the girl at the mill for DB. I have completed all rare gifts quests and most of the local jobs (not sure if all, but certainly enough that I should get the Thane option - but I don't). I'm going to try siding with Ulfric to change Jarls, that's all I can think that might work.

• 1 month later...
DB quest line screws the quest up

Check the whole thread before posting.

I've already completely disproved this, having a character who has killed Helvard during the DB quest-line and has still much later had no problem buying the Falkreath plot.

Check the whole thread before posting.

I've already completely disproved this, having a character who has killed Helvard during the DB quest-line and has still much later had no problem buying the Falkreath plot.

Very true in one of my plays Helvard is not there and replaced by someone else (I think it is the woman that was friends with the Jarl)

I think it also depends on which side of civil war you pick it iirc

Very true in one of my plays Helvard is not there and replaced by someone else (I think it is the woman that was friends with the Jarl)

I think it also depends on which side of civil war you pick it iirc

Again not absolutely certain but I don't think so. I can't stand the idea of the Stormcloaks and have followed the Imperial side every time. However 2 of those can buy Falkreath just fine and one can't.

My guess if you can't progress in any Jarl-related stories if you have one still not completed with another jarl. Therefore my bounty that I can't hand in to jarl Skald is probably stopping anything moving forward with Siddgeir.

I'd say an easy way to solve this considering what they got done in this up-coming new patch is to allow us to just abandon and wipe any radiant quest as they are never part of the storyline but seem to be able to screw it up when you don't complete them.

Again not absolutely certain but I don't think so. I can't stand the idea of the Stormcloaks and have followed the Imperial side every time. However 2 of those can buy Falkreath just fine and one can't.

On my second play I sided with stormcloaks.

I bought all homes and upgrades in basic game

Don't recall doing the quests discussed ie Mirror for imperial guy. However might have done some of them.

There are possible so many variables in this issue that it makes even the developers job difficult. Just a guess :eek:

[spoiler=kjh]

I even have General Tullius armor in my collection so I did kill him, retribution for quest 1 LOL

I just wonder if a lot of these problems/glitches are a result of siding with one faction or another. I waited to do the main story after I did all of the guild quests. Then I waited until the main story was complete before I did the civil war quests. I didn't experience any of the glitches others have reported since the beginning. It certainly is odd.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I can't buy land from Falkreath either. I sided with the Stormcloaks, and have completed that questline, so I have the Jarl Dengeir of Stuhn and Tekla as the Steward. I've also completed the main questline, along with DB, Thieves guild, Companions etc. I wasn't a Thane in Falkreath before I downloaded Hearthfire, and I'm still not. During the DB quests I did kill Helvard, not sure if anyone saw me or not, no one attacked me so I'm assuming they didn't. I also killed Hern and his wife. I did all of this before downloading Hearthfire. After downloading it I immediately went to Whiterun and received two letters from the courier. One about adoption and another about upgrading my house in Whiterun. I never received a letter about buying land, and still haven't. I proceeded to update my house (so that I had a childs bedroom instead of an alchemy lab) and then went directly to Falkreath. I didn't have the option to buy land, and at the time I didn't know about any particular quests I had to do and just assumed the option would come up at some point. So, instead I went to Dawnstar, bought and built a house there. Once I had finished I went back to Falkreath to see if the option was there. It wasn't. The only dialogue options I had was:

For the Jarl: Why did you side with the Stormcloaks?

And: How are you a better Jarl then Siddgeir?

For Tekla: You sound nervous about being the new Steward.

And: How does a maid become a Steward?

I only had another option from Tekla once and that was to kill a chief bandit (I can't remember where).

I've fetched the mead and killed the bandits, also I have done all of the quests that you were supposed to do so you could buy land. However, I'm not sure if I have done the Captain Aldis quest, and cannot do the other Misc. quest for him (Ask Aldis for information about Angeline's daughter) due to me completing the Civil War questline in favor of the Stormcloaks. Whenever I put the quest on active it merely has an arrow pointing to where he once stood in Castle Dour. Also, I haven't killed Paarthurnax, although I am not sure if that makes a difference or not? I have emailed the Bethesda support and I am still waiting for a reply.

I know this probably didn't help much, but I've been reading everything you've all said and felt the need to share my story:)

Okay, so I can't buy land from Falkreath either. I sided with the Stormcloaks, and have completed that questline, so I have the Jarl Dengeir of Stuhn and Tekla as the Steward. I've also completed the main questline, along with DB, Thieves guild, Companions etc. I wasn't a Thane in Falkreath before I downloaded Hearthfire, and I'm still not. During the DB quests I did kill Helvard, not sure if anyone saw me or not, no one attacked me so I'm assuming they didn't. I also killed Hern and his wife. I did all of this before downloading Hearthfire. After downloading it I immediately went to Whiterun and received two letters from the courier. One about adoption and another about upgrading my house in Whiterun. I never received a letter about buying land, and still haven't. I proceeded to update my house (so that I had a childs bedroom instead of an alchemy lab) and then went directly to Falkreath. I didn't have the option to buy land, and at the time I didn't know about any particular quests I had to do and just assumed the option would come up at some point. So, instead I went to Dawnstar, bought and built a house there. Once I had finished I went back to Falkreath to see if the option was there. It wasn't. The only dialogue options I had was:

For the Jarl: Why did you side with the Stormcloaks?

And: How are you a better Jarl then Siddgeir?

For Tekla: You sound nervous about being the new Steward.

And: How does a maid become a Steward?

I only had another option from Tekla once and that was to kill a chief bandit (I can't remember where).

I've fetched the mead and killed the bandits, also I have done all of the quests that you were supposed to do so you could buy land. However, I'm not sure if I have done the Captain Aldis quest, and cannot do the other Misc. quest for him (Ask Aldis for information about Angeline's daughter) due to me completing the Civil War questline in favor of the Stormcloaks. Whenever I put the quest on active it merely has an arrow pointing to where he once stood in Castle Dour. Also, I haven't killed Paarthurnax, although I am not sure if that makes a difference or not? I have emailed the Bethesda support and I am still waiting for a reply.

I know this probably didn't help much, but I've been reading everything you've all said and felt the need to share my story:)

The only thing that I spotted was missing was any bounty quests other jarls/stewards have sent you on that you've not completed, not handed in or that have become uncompletable on your quest list.

Do any of these apply to you?

The only thing that I spotted was missing was any bounty quests other jarls/stewards have sent you on that you've not completed, not handed in or that have become uncompletable on your quest list.

Do any of these apply to you?

No, they don't. I've managed to complete and hand back in every bounty quest the Jarls/stewards have given me, so far. The quests have then disappeared from my quest list.

However, I do have a couple of other Misc. quests that I can't complete, although they aren't bounty ones.

Speak to Degaine: I gained this after speaking to the inn-keeper in Markarth telling me that Degaine had been chucked out of the temple of Dibella. However I had already completed this quest and it was started by speaking to Degaine first a while ago. Whenever I make the quest active it merely puts a marker over Degaine's head If I talk to him I only have the option to give him a gold piece or give him a drink.

Report Leifnarrs death to his family: I can't do this either, but evidently I found Leifnarrs body before getting this quest from his wife Grosta so his family never opens an option for me to tell them of his death.

Ask Aldis for information about Angelines daughter: I got this quest after siding with the Stormcloaks in the Civil War quest line and completing it. Due to Aldis being an Imperial he has been removed from the game. When I select this quest there is merely an marker pointing to where he would have stood in Castle Dour, Solitude, had the Imperials still been there.

I don't know if any of these make a difference?

Also, I received this reply from the Bethesda support team, via email:

Hello,

Due to the nature of open world games like Skyrim it's not possible to tell you the one thing you need to do to resolve your issue.

Therefore I'd like to refer you to the following forum where other players have detailed how they have resolved a similar problem:

http://www.gameskyrim.com/not-getting-option-purchase-lakeview-manor-t288173.html

Also please ensure you have no bounty on your head in the hold where you would like to buy the land.

If these suggestions don't resolve your issue you would unfortunately need to return to a previous save as the issue will be linked to your savedata. I'm afraid it's not possible to loosen the criteria for buying land.

Best regards,

Julie

Bethesda Technical Support

Not really much help, as I don't have a save that goes that far back.

Edited by SkyrimPlayer
I had more info.

However, I do have a couple of other Misc. quests that I can't complete, although they aren't bounty ones.

Speak to Degaine: I gained this after speaking to the inn-keeper in Markarth telling me that Degaine had been chucked out of the temple of Dibella. However I had already completed this quest and it was started by speaking to Degaine first a while ago. Whenever I make the quest active it merely puts a marker over Degaine's head If I talk to him I only have the option to give him a gold piece or give him a drink.

Report Leifnarrs death to his family: I can't do this either, but evidently I found Leifnarrs body before getting this quest from his wife Grosta so his family never opens an option for me to tell them of his death.

Ask Aldis for information about Angelines daughter: I got this quest after siding with the Stormcloaks in the Civil War quest line and completing it. Due to Aldis being an Imperial he has been removed from the game. When I select this quest there is merely an marker pointing to where he would have stood in Castle Dour, Solitude, had the Imperials still been there.

I don't know if any of these make a difference?

Also, I received this reply from the Bethesda support team, via email:

Hello,

Due to the nature of open world games like Skyrim it's not possible to tell you the one thing you need to do to resolve your issue.

Therefore I'd like to refer you to the following forum where other players have detailed how they have resolved a similar problem:

http://www.gameskyrim.com/not-getting-option-purchase-lakeview-manor-t288173.html

Also please ensure you have no bounty on your head in the hold where you would like to buy the land.

If these suggestions don't resolve your issue you would unfortunately need to return to a previous save as the issue will be linked to your savedata. I'm afraid it's not possible to loosen the criteria for buying land.

Best regards,

Julie

Bethesda Technical Support

Not really much help, as I don't have a save that goes that far back.

Unfortunately if you look back through the threads we've been mulling it over here for several months you'll see that Julie is right, everyone seems to have differing factors causing the same problem and now that you've said you've not got any bounty quests to hand in and you still can't get the Lakeview plot it's killed one of the more promising causes.

Also that link is completely useless. Several of the claims it makes are wrong as is explained in this thread in earlier pages. It just seems no one specific factor decides if you're offered the land or not.

Basically we're screwed. :(

Unfortunately if you look back through the threads we've been mulling it over here for several months you'll see that Julie is right, everyone seems to have differing factors causing the same problem and now that you've said you've not got any bounty quests to hand in and you still can't get the Lakeview plot it's killed one of the more promising causes.

Also that link is completely useless. Several of the claims it makes are wrong as is explained in this thread in earlier pages. It just seems no one specific factor decides if you're offered the land or not.

Basically we're screwed. :(

I know, I have been reading through all the threads, and I am unfortunate enough as to not have a save before downloading Hearthfire, and I know that there are many different reasons as to why it won't work. Despite us saying that Bethesda should fix it, I also don't think that it is actually possible for them to fix at the present time.

I had a look at the link and it didn't help at all.

Yeah. Pretty much. :/

• 1 month later...

I did eventually manage to buy the land. I had to complete a couple radiant quests that were pending, then talked to Nenya who gave me a couple quests, and finally had to get the Jarl some Black Briar Mead and kill a bandit leader. After all that, he said if I helped the people out I could become Thane, but I was able to buy the land at this point.

• 1 month later...

i had none of those quests pending in my misc section and yet i had this problem , so i just went to those people who are responsible for these quests , triggered it then completed it and now the jarl of falkreath is giving me the quests..

hope this helps you guys :)

its 2013 and they still haven't fixed this freaking bug , even the collector's edition is out , why is bethesda doing this :(

Having issues with buying the land in Falkreath, sided with the Stormcloaks and am a Thane in Falkreath. I do not have any quests available from Tekla or Seddgier but the bartender in Falkreath keeps giving me quests to do various things then turn into Tekla when completed. Hoping these will bump me to be able to get this land. Going to do a few more before reloading an old save file to get these achievements. Only wanted to mention to talk to the bartender for these Falkreath "go kill" quests since I haven't seen it mentioned on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for telling us, but if you'd read back a bit then you would see that everyone has basically already covered that, and it didn't work:/ I don't think Bethesda is gonna bother fixing it, it's such a wide spread bug/glitch/whatever, and a lot of us have different 'symptoms' for it. Plus, they're probably focusing more on TES Online at the moment, and all that shizznit...

As buggss said, us who still haven't found a way to fix it are screwed...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys I have this on the PS3, I have read all of the thread and tried everything you guys have tried and I'm still in the same boat, level 79 all quests completed and sided with the Stormcloaks. Looks like its a general fault across both platforms. I have contacted Bethesda but have heard nothing yet, looks like it will never be sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing this on ps3 also. So pissed that I can't get the damn Falkreath house. Jarl Dengeir and Tekla won't say anything about buying a house, they only say their basic comments and once in a while Tekla gives me a bounty quest. Has anyone found a way to get the house yet? It always seems like everyone has Jarl Seddgeir instead of Dengeir.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been playing this on ps3 also. So pissed that I can't get the damn Falkreath house. Jarl Dengeir and Tekla won't say anything about buying a house, they only say their basic comments and once in a while Tekla gives me a bounty quest. Has anyone found a way to get the house yet? It always seems like everyone has Jarl Seddgeir instead of Dengeir.

So, I forgot to mention before that I'm on PS3 too, and I think I said that I have Jarl Dengeir? Anyway, I do have him, and I only have the basic comments from them too, with the occasional bounty quest. I tried everything that anyone has said, and nothing works. I don't think there is a fix for some of us, and Bethesda probably won't be able to fix it. I even contacted Bethesda, but their reply didn't help much as you may have seen earlier in the thread. Sorry to disappoint you:/

• 6 months later...

Just a heads up to anyone have difficulty with this. When I was not given the option to become thane I started doing all the radiant quests. It was after an hour of so of doing this that I realised I hadn't killed the bandits the Jarl wanted me to kill...

It is possible to have more than one bounty with the Jarl so make sure you do the 'kill the ___ at ____' quests before panicing.

• 1 month later...