Its no GTA

Acejunky

Sleeping Dogs outshines GTA IV in melee combat, gun play, driving, character control, graphics & collectibles. Probably other things as well!

The story telling, environment, entertainment & characters were better in GTA IV but this United Front Games has a lot of potential & my dollar until they prove otherwise!

If it was GTA, I wouldn't even consider it. I'm not a fan of that series. But, I'm seriously thinking of getting this one down the road. The videos I've seen look pretty good.

Same here, I thought that the GTA franchise took a wrong after Vice City...but definitely going to pick up this at some point

Edited by Kunduz

i wish the city was as immersive as GTA... it all just feels like the same roads in between big buildings. GTA 4 had an atmosphere in the city like no other game imo.

WHAT?

Seriously, GTA 4's city was so bland and boring, and Hong Kong is so atmospheric. I liked GTA 4, but I think Sleeping Dogs is a hundred times better. I like it more than any GTA game I've played thus far and GTA is one of my favourite series. I'll have to wait for GTA 5 to release as that's the only fair comparison I can make. But the combat, the shooting, the driving, everything just destroys GTA games. Especially that martial arts combat, man if a game was just a linear beat 'em up with that combat I would love it.

Hong Kong is so atmospheric. it.

Yeah, Street Vendor trying to hock their wares, people pulling out umbrellas when it rains, or covering their heads with newspapers (if they do not have an umbrella). The fact that you can go inside of some of the buildings to shop (Or the fact you can even go inside buildings at all....). People commenting on the clothes you are wearing, pulling out their cell phones to answer it when it is ringing...

Just a few things off the top of my head that adds a bit of flavor/atmosphere to this game.

But the combat, the shooting, the driving, everything just destroys GTA games. Especially that martial arts combat, man if a game was just a linear beat 'em up with that combat I would love it.

I suck at racing, and found the (required) racing (for story/favors) to be considerably easy (Again, I suck at racing). GTA racing made the game "un-finishable" for me (Like I said, my skill level on racing is pathetic).

And yes, the Martial Arts in the game was quite fun. I loved snapping a dude's arm, and watching his cronies back up in shock...

This is my humble interpretation/perception/opinion of the game. I do not expect it to be shared by everyone. ~Peace

Edited by xKRAIZEEMANx

The hand to hand combat was much more enjoyable than the CONSTANT shoot outs in GTA games, plus the slo mo vehicle shooting is a GOD SEND. GTA NEEDS to implement that into the GTA5 because it actually makes shooting while driving bearable. Also the setting is amazing, so much better than the bland New York City clone.

I'm glad it's not GTA. There needs to be differences, big differences between open world games. GTA goes with the realistic feel, Saints Row goes with the over the top feel and Sleeping Dog goes with the action movie feel.

If there's one major problem in gaming, it's clones or games with little difference between each other. It's happening a lot with FPS (especially military shooters). Open World games need to continue evolving and separating from each other.

That being said, I love the hijacking and shooting while driving is soooo much easier/fun in Sleeping Dogs.

On another forum, I said SD was better than gta4 and got so much shit from the gta4 fanboys. The thing as others have said the melee combat, gun play, cover, driving, character control, graphics & collectibles are better. its true SD is a newer game but GTA is suppose to be the best and I'm trying to the DLC episodes disc and feels like some old last gen game in terms of controls. Also hated Niko story and hated his **** brother even more (the DLC episodes disc is better than gta4 story imo as they are just better and not stretched out)

If I had to compare this to any sandbox title, GTA4 would not be the first thing that come to mind, Saints Row does, this game resembles SR in so many ways. I do get the GTA comparison though.

Sleeping Dogs is Sleeping Dogs at the end of the day, I think the game is amazing, it's unique, and I think with some polish, cos the game is not perfect, it has it's flaws, but I think it could well be a good competitor to GTA, so far only Saints Row has stepped up, but Sleeping Dogs if sent in the right direction could be the new boy in town.

My main problem with the game, and it does not ruin it, but if I had to find somethings...The vehicle handling feels off to me, Saints Row was perfect, and GTA4..well the handling was weird, but it worked and I enjoyed it, SD the vehicles handle a mess. The combat is better then both SR and GTA combined, it took me back to Arkham in a sense, and Batmans mechanics, very similar feel. Nah I think it is a well made game in a fantastic environment, with excellent voice acting and even though I dont understant half of it, I love the authentic soundtrack, many complained most of the lyrics are not english, for me this is a massive plus point, cos it adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Just finished this and got 1000G out of it and i must admit i realy enjoyed it! I do get the point people compare this with GTA but i personaly think Sleeping Dogs is kinda a mixture of games realy, it takes parts from GTA, L.A. Noir and even Just Cause 2. And by these i mean sections or parts that been in these games aswell. As far combat goes i think Sleeping Dogs did a great job in terms of gunplay and melee combat, i know some gamers said the gunplay was not so great, but overall it does a great job in my eyes. The driving part is good to the cars respond all in different ways depending on their specs, i found out that some cars are responding better or have better control and thus are more suitable for races then others same goes for the bikes. I think what outshines in Sleeping Dogs is the fact that it plays in Honk Kong for a chance instead of the overused New York. Ofcourse like in all games it def isn,t without flaws def when i was reading thru the forum here and noticed some gamers had troubles or glitches in their games, i must honest admit expect from a graphical small glitch that rarely appeared my game worked fine and had no trouble unlocking everything including the 100%, The best thing i found that the gamedevelopers added the usual collectables but unless most games they actualy where usefull in terms of either health, money or police XP. And the fact that they added it that way that abit further in the game everyone can collect them as they will show up on the map, and that for me is far better then the usual look into a map or vid and drive or run thru whole town to collect them bit by bit using a laptop and check every time into the map or vid where the next one is.

I def would love to see a Sleeping Dogs 2 :)

Edited by AirborneRichard

ya, its no GTA. but after a week, and even after 1000 GS, dont you wish the "Sleeping Dogs" experience was a bit longer? in GTA theres just so much to do that you never really feel like youve completed the game. whereas Sleeping Dogs, after a week, ive done it all and i dont want to touch it again really. just my thoughts.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. I think it does some things better than GTA and some not so much, but overall I'm having a blast.

Im with this, Im not loving it but yeah it does do some stuff a little better and some things not so much.

Things like "call Jackie" and you have to open phone, select contacts, and instead of seeing your contacts all thats there is Jackie. Why push so many steps just to give you one option? all that does for me is enforce the feeling that im in a game and have no real choices.

Love the fighting and the shootings fine for me, very easy shooting, hand to hand is rewarding when I slow down and use the Yellow button. In fact if I had to pick one thing from the game it would be the fighting, its the best thing in the game and done very well.

I suck at racing, and found the (required) racing (for story/favors) to be considerably easy (Again, I suck at racing). GTA racing made the game "un-finishable" for me (Like I said, my skill level on racing is pathetic).

Same here. The fact that GTA IV forces so many of those car-chasing story missions upon you is enough for me to give up on it. Some of those car-chasing is simply insane to play - you need to be an F1 winner to beat those.

I love GTA IV for its story and characters but Sleeping Dogs deserves to be appreciated it doesn't just try to be a clone, it is awesome in its own way, also i think the city is very vibrant and alive and a setting I've always wanted. The developers have done very well and i have respect for them.

I don't think this game reaches any standards whatsoever when comparing to GTA which is sad seeing as this is 4 years newer than the last GTA game but I can easily compare this to Saints Row and overall I've really enjoyed this game and definitely worth my 30 hours. Was expecting a more polished game but it was a decent release.