Achievement Guide & Roadmap

bLaKgRaVy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done three or four play thrus of this over the weekend in an attempt to get Lair King following the guide, and I keep being 49 points short. I triple checked my settings each time and they were all correct (on easy/arcade/controller). What's weird is all my points will match what they are supposed to for the 5 deaths at the dragon, being 49 points short only shows up at the very last life when I kill the dragon (427,420 instead of 427,469). I've been doing it with move guide off, just out of habit from my first play thru, so I'm going to try it again with the move guide on just to see if that helps. Any suggestions?

-foot

So when you die (before you are resurrected), the points match what it says in the guide? Or did you have the points listed in the guide after you are resurrected when Dirk says "Wow"? Because when he says "Wow", the game has already added 49 points more than what's listed in the guide (scene starting bonus). Those points listed are your "death" points (before being resurrected).

I played my Lair King playthrough with the move guide off to minimize how many playthroughs I had to do (ended up it was one for each difficulty). So I know it's not the move guide. And you said you didn't have the arcade overlay on...

There might be one solution the the missing 49 points in the Mist / Snake Room. This is from the PS3T.org forum:

Just to help out those who are coming up 49 points short. I can't speak for everyone, but in my case I figured out the trouble spot. The room with the giant snakes allows you to pass it by doing 2 sword strikes and then climbing the rope in the center. You must however do the 3rd sword strike on the 3rd snake to net the 49 points associated with this move. It happens really fast and if you miss it, it will still let you advance the scene (in easy mode). Hard mode makes you do this to survive, but easy mode lets you skip it and thus skip the 49 points. Took me about 12 playthroughs to figure this out. Hopefully it helps other people.

Does this seem plausible? People just might be missing that third Sword move and pressing Up, thus bypassing the 49 point move. I'm going to test it out tonight and report my findings. That may just be it. But, Foot said that he had the correct amount of points after each death in the Dragon's Lair and it messed up on his last life. Hmm...

The only other two places where 49 points are awarded (excluding starting each scene) are in the Green Tentacle / Halberd Rack room (the first Sword move to chop the first tentacle; if you don't do this, you die) and in the Giant Bat scene after you kill the giant bat (49 points are awarded for going through the door on Easy despite not making any moves. You have to press Left to exit on Hard, which also awards you 49 points). So, you get those points regardless.

It seems we have two issues here; one where 49 points is missing and another where 3,255 points are missing. Dakota, what were your findings on the missing 3,255 points with the arcade overlay? Was it indeed the overlay causing the problem, or did you have anything else turned on/off?

EDIT - Sure enough, you only have to do three moves in the Mist / Snake Room on Easy, not four. By not doing that third Sword input, you miss getting the extra 49 points. I just tried it about 4 or 5 times both ways just to be sure. My score had a 49 point difference each time (and the starting points always stayed the same).

The normal moves are:

• Scene start - 49 points
  • Sword when the first snake pops up and opens it's mouth - 495 points
  • Sword again when the next snake appears - 2675 points
  • Sword a third time when the third snake appears - 49 points
  • Up immediately to pull on the skull and grab the rope - 1939 points
  • Total - 5207 points

Those are the only 49 points in the game that can be bypassed/missed. It has to be this room where people aren't doing all the moves. The only other scenes that have 49 point moves (besides the starting move) are the Giant Bat and the Tentacle room.

I guess this is another shortcut move similar to the Giddy Goons scene, but you miss out on points if you do it here.

So, if you're going for "Lair King", make sure you do FOUR moves in this scene, not three. I will edit the achievement solution to reflect this. I also edited the walkthrough thread.

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

Tried many many times, always 285288. Just cannot pinpoint why, and I'm being super careful

What exactly are your settings? Mine were:

• Easy difficulty
  • Arcade mode
  • Full Screen mode (not arcade overlay)
  • Move Guide Off

Dakota hinted that playing with the arcade overlay on might be the problem, but he wasn't specific.

Those are the only things I changed when I did my Lair King run and I got it first try. Here is what I did in my playthrough:

1. I saved at the beginning of every scene (I didn't notice if the scene starting points had added yet; probably did, but I didn't have any issues with my points). If I died, I quit to the main menu, hit Play, then Resume Game.
  2. I used my walkthrough for every scene (even if I knew the moves. When I saved, I left the game paused and read the moves for that scene, then resumed the game).
  3. I let the platform fall past the 3rd ledge every time to see if it was extended or not each of the four platform scenes. If it continued past the 3rd ledge, I jumped off at the 9th one. If I crashed, I reloaded my save.

EDIT - Ok, I just did a run on Easy/Arcade, with the move guide ON and had the arcade monitor ON, and when I reached the dragon's lair, I had 288,543. I made sure I did the four moves in the Snake Room scene and didn't use the shortcut move in the Giddy Goons scene. So it's not the arcade monitor or the move guide that's denying the 3,255 points.

I kept track of every single scene. I saved at the beginning of every scene and wrote down what the starting score was and then the ending score and subtracted and that amount equaled what it says on the scoring chart perfectly. What's funny is that when I did the four platforms, while there were two 3-ledge and two 9-ledge, neither 3-ledge one was reversed/mirrored. One of the 9-ledge ones was mirrored, but not a 3-ledge one. I found that strange. I got the right amount of points for them, though.

So I've done it on Easy/Arcade/Move Guide OFF/Full Screen and Easy/Arcade/Move Guide ON/Arcade Monitor. It's not the move guide, not the visual mode, and you have to play on Easy and Arcade mode. What is it?!

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

I used Easy/Arcade with the Cabinet Overlay on. I saved at the beginning of each scene and left the falling platform at the last floor in each instance. I avoided the two shortcuts that have been mentioned. It worked on my own account when my Lair King fell short. A few friends turned the overlay on after ending 3255 points short and it worked first time.

The overlay may not be the issue but it's certainly worth a try.

The only scenes with missable point scoring moves seem to be the falling platforms and the snakes. The snakes only account for 49 points and all instances of the falling platform scene guarantee 3304 points regardless of when you get off.

I'm just going to have to call this one plain old buggy.

So when you die (before you are resurrected), the points match what it says in the guide? Or did you have the points listed in the guide after you are resurrected when Dirk says "Wow"? Because when he says "Wow", the game has already added 49 points more than what's listed in the guide (scene starting bonus). Those points listed are your "death" points (before being resurrected).

I was double checking points after resurrecting/wow before I saved, so that's likely why I didn't catch the difference until the end.

Those are the only 49 points in the game that can be bypassed/missed. It has to be this room where people aren't doing all the moves. The only other scenes that have 49 point moves (besides the starting move) are the Giant Bat and the Tentacle room.

I guess this is another shortcut move similar to the Giddy Goons scene, but you miss out on points if you do it here.

So, if you're going for "Lair King", make sure you do FOUR moves in this scene, not three. I will edit the achievement solution to reflect this. I also edited the walkthrough thread.

I have always been doing the snake scene with two swords then pressing up, so this may be what I'm missing. Still seems kinda glitchy because I've also been short the 3,000 points like some others, but once I was more mindful of my saving that seemed to cure that problem. Soon as I get a chance I will do ANOTHER play thru on Easy/Arcade/No overlay/Move guide on to help with snake scene. If I'm successful I'll post here. Thanks for all the help!

-foot

"Date with Daphney" - I tried unplugging from the net, changing the system clock to 6/19/2012, and playing a game. No achievement unlocked. Also tried 6/19/2011. Any tips for what I might be doing wrong?

"Date with Daphney" - I tried unplugging from the net, changing the system clock to 6/19/2012, and playing a game. No achievement unlocked. Also tried 6/19/2011. Any tips for what I might be doing wrong?

Hmm, worked first try for me. After I downloaded the game, I turned off my console. I unplugged the ethernet cord while the console was off, started the console, went to system settings to change the date. Then, without plugging in the cord, I started the game. I think it was on Easy/Arcade/Move Guide On/Arcade Monitor and it unlocked for me no problem.

I happened to unlock five achievements while I was offline (Daphne, Going Down, Eat Me, One More Quarter and Giddy Gone). I did that all in one game (which was not my Lair King run). I then played another game on Hard offline to unlock Choked Out.

I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Is there any way to back out of Date & Time without saving the new settings?

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

As soon as you exact that screen it saves the new settings, though if you bring up the guide and quick launch something you may get round it. Once you've plugged your router/adaptor abck in I'm pretty sure you need to manually reconnect to live as well unless you reboot your machine., at least mine has never auto connected after reconnecting my router,

I unlocked "Date with Daphne" on three dummy profiles last night. For each of them, I went through the steps (with console off, I unplugged ethernet, changed the date, played a game offline, achievement unlocked). After every profile test, I powered down the console and plugged in the ethernet and turned the machine on for the date to reset. Then I turned it off again and unplugged the ethernet, etc. I did this for every profile. The achievement unlocked on every profile.

I didn't have to manually connect to Live since I plugged in my ethernet with the console off.

ptc, I don't know what you did differently for it not to unlock...

I unlocked "Date with Daphne" on three dummy profiles last night. For each of them, I went through the steps (with console off, I unplugged ethernet, changed the date, played a game offline, achievement unlocked). After every profile test, I powered down the console and plugged in the ethernet and turned the machine on for the date to reset. Then I turned it off again and unplugged the ethernet, etc. I did this for every profile. The achievement unlocked on every profile.

I didn't have to manually connect to Live since I plugged in my ethernet with the console off.

ptc, I don't know what you did differently for it not to unlock...

It's perplexing. I played around with this last night, for about an hour, trying to unlock it. Nothing seemed to work, including doing exactly what you suggested several times. I THINK it has something to do with the game thinking I'm not signed into a profile (although I most definitely am singed into my profile, just not connect to xbox live). When trying to start a Kinect game, it basically wouldn't let me because every time I put the sword over "play game" to launch a message would come up saying "You're not signed in, do you want to sign in", so I'd sign into my profile (again) and then a message would say I am not connected to xbox live giving me the binary "yes" or "no" to diagnose the problem. If I chose yes, it would completely kick me out of the game and go to the system test. If I chose "no" it would bring me back to the main menu. So I unplugged the Kinect and tried several more times with the controller. Again, it will let me play a controller game of DL just fine (which I did several times, including a complete run through on easy with the guide off). No achievement. I might just have to wait until it really is June 19 to unlock this one :)

It's perplexing. I played around with this last night, for about an hour, trying to unlock it. Nothing seemed to work, including doing exactly what you suggested several times. I THINK it has something to do with the game thinking I'm not signed into a profile (although I most definitely am singed into my profile, just not connect to xbox live). When trying to start a Kinect game, it basically wouldn't let me because every time I put the sword over "play game" to launch a message would come up saying "You're not signed in, do you want to sign in", so I'd sign into my profile (again) and then a message would say I am not connected to xbox live giving me the binary "yes" or "no" to diagnose the problem. If I chose yes, it would completely kick me out of the game and go to the system test. If I chose "no" it would bring me back to the main menu. So I unplugged the Kinect and tried several more times with the controller. Again, it will let me play a controller game of DL just fine (which I did several times, including a complete run through on easy with the guide off). No achievement. I might just have to wait until it really is June 19 to unlock this one :)

Wow, that is strange. Did you unplug your Kinect and the ethernet cord with the console off then power it on, sign in your profile offline, change your date then start the game using a controller? Or did you unplug the Kinect and didn't reset your console? Depending on what you did, that might be messing it up. And did you change the date with the Kinect or controller (I don't have a Kinect so I don't know if that's even possible)? I'm just trying to pinpoint what may have gone wrong.

Sucks that you have to be online to use the Kinect.

But you're right, June 19th isn't that far off. If you can't get it to unlock now, don't forget on the actual date! Set reminders!

I'll change the guide to say that if you want to play using Kinect, you must be online and doing the offline date change won't work.

I'll change the guide to say that if you want to play using Kinect, you must be online and doing the offline date change won't work.

Hopefully, someone else with Kinect can verify. My system just seems to be wacky these days...

FYI Kinect adds very little to the Dragon's Lair experience so you shouldn't feel like you're missing anything. Gesture recognition doesn't work too well. Also, have you noticed that the sound in this XBLA version is a little off? Maybe it's just my TV speakers, but the sound is not as rich as I remember from the arcade days...

Ok, did my last "Lair King" run thru yesterday. Easy/Arcade/No Overlay/Move guide selected. Was mindful of when I saved (always at the beginning of the scene after the points stopped moving), and watched for the falling platform scene carefully. Got the extra "sword" on the snake scene, completed the going through all the lives at the Dragon, and achievement popped last time.

Hopefully, someone else with Kinect can verify. My system just seems to be wacky these days...

FYI Kinect adds very little to the Dragon's Lair experience so you shouldn't feel like you're missing anything. Gesture recognition doesn't work too well. Also, have you noticed that the sound in this XBLA version is a little off? Maybe it's just my TV speakers, but the sound is not as rich as I remember from the arcade days...

I have Kinect and ran into the same problem. The game sometimes will push me using the kinect (I have to go and select controller mode using the kinect), and sometimes I have control with the controller right away. I ran into the same problem first time I went for "Date with Daphne", but tried it again yesterday, selected controller mode, and it popped. I guess if it keeps not letting you log in you can just unplug the Kinect as has already been suggested.

-foot

Have you tried just disconnecting the ethernet cable while the console is on, and then changing the date? That's what I do whenever I want to change the system date, which I last did for Arkham City's Calendar man achievement back on Halloween.

Yes, tried that, no luck :(

great guide, how in the world anybody figured out the dying 4 times at singe thing is beyond me, never would've worked that out on my own

I have a question. To unlock "Quest Complete" (complete the game in Hard mode), does anyone know if that has to be done with just the 5 lives or can you continue if you run out? The way I read it, as long as you complete the game on Hard, no matter how, you should unlock the achievement.

i tried this out and you CAN continue and still get Quest Complete

Mr Yac don't forget that the game has been around since '83, we didn't need to work it out, we already knew.

Just had another person confirm that using the overlay fixes lair king.

There are also kissable points for moving early in the rope scenes but I haven't checked the numbers yet.

Has anyone else confirmed that kinect users must be online.

How exactly does the supposed coop work, is it kinect only and can achievements be unlocked by both players, just player 1 plot just the player moving at the time

I have a question. To unlock "Quest Complete" (complete the game in Hard mode), does anyone know if that has to be done with just the 5 lives or can you continue if you run out? The way I read it, as long as you complete the game on Hard, no matter how, you should unlock the achievement.

i tried this out and you CAN continue and still get Quest Complete

Nice! Thanks for the verification. If it works for this achievement, I'm sure it'll also work for "1983 Mode" and "Save Me!". I'll add it to the guide.

Mr Yac don't forget that the game has been around since '83, we didn't need to work it out, we already knew.

Just had another person confirm that using the overlay fixes lair king.

There are also kissable points for moving early in the rope scenes but I haven't checked the numbers yet.

Has anyone else confirmed that kinect users must be online.

How exactly does the supposed coop work, is it kinect only and can achievements be unlocked by both players, just player 1 plot just the player moving at the time

I've played the game with and without the overlay on, move guide on and off, and when I reached the dragon's lair both times, I had 288,543. I think you just have to be very careful and save at the beginning of each scene after the 49 points for starting the scene have been awarded. I've played through the game like 6-7 times now to test various things with different settings and difficulties and I've always had 288,543 at the beginning of the lair when playing on Easy/Arcade (with the exception of when I tested the Snake / Mist Room).

Still don't know what 49 point scene is missing when you play in Home mode (as it doesn't really matter since you have to play on Arcade mode to get the perfect score). Maybe I'm not looking hard enough? I guess I'll do another run through and calculate each scene based on my points to see where it is when I have a chance.

Kissable? ;) Are you talking about the three ropes that are on fire where you swing across? How early could you possibly move? I don't see how you can move early or late in this scene; the window of opportunity to make a move is very slim, and the mirror/reverse scene awards less points than the other one. I will test this out tonight and report back.

I would assume co-op is Kinect only, because I don't see an option in any of the menus to play co-op. I don't have a Kinect so I can't verify. Maybe another set of options becomes available if you use Kinect? Either way, I won't be adding anything co-op related to the guide (maybe a mention in the roadmap) because it's not achievement related.

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

Kissable? ;) Are you talking about the three ropes that are on fire where you swing across? How early could you possibly move? I don't see how you can move early or late in this scene; the window of opportunity to make a move is very slim, and the mirror/reverse scene awards less points than the other one. I will test this out tonight and report back.

You can grab the first rope whenever it gets near you, but before the scene changes to the platform pulling away from under Dirk.

It's how I did the scenes in my first playthrough. Maybe that's how I missed those points and ended up short.