Greatest Ace Combat Ever!!!

Thx, dontgoeasyonme "You can revert back to previous AC controls where as you actually roll the air craft and use yaw to turn *Like a pro*"

I am a long time AC fan and I was worried about that. I felt like the demo was on rails and I was afraid that it was permanent.

Edited by TheOrionEnigma
typo

Finished the game over the weekend and I have mixed feelings about it. (kind of a long post, skip to the bottom for the nutshell rating).

Starting with the good, I loved the variety in pilotable aircraft (although the helicopter took a little getting used to), it seemed you get to play just about every air superiority role in the game. Some of the graphical enhancements were nice, my favorite being the more realistic cockpit view. Checkpoints also occur more often so you don't have to get frustrated when you crash after flying for 20 minutes and have to restart the entire mission.

The neutral, the story was subpar compared to say 4 and 5, which I'm sure most of us can agree on. But at least the narrative was MUCH better than 6's, I swear, every time I heard the "dance with the angels" line I wanted to rip my ears off. Having the game set in a real world story was kind of a put off for me because I feel that it stripped them of some of their creative freedom. Then again, there's only so much they could have milked out of the world they created and it looks like they were running out of fresh ideas in 6.

The DFM mode is good fun and adds a bit more element than locking onto an enemy and watching the missile hit then move to the next target, but I felt it was more of a gimmick. Unfortunately it seemed that you have to use DFM mode more often than you want (however in multiplayer this makes it much easier to take down other players than having to rely on the QAAMs like noobs did in AC6). I also felt that AFM mode was unnecessary, although I can understand why this would be helpful for some.

Mostly, almost above the games themselves, I enjoy the soundtracks and own all of the official copies on disc. For this game it used more melodies matching the ethnics of the regions and relies a bit too heavily on grundge guitar rock at times, but has some redeeming songs as well. It's not the best but certainly not the worst. I just hope to see an official release and that they don't keep it exclusive, since it came as a special edition release with the DX pack in Japan (not the single CD sampler, I'm talking the entire 3 disc).

Now for the bad. It seems that no matter what plane you fly, it always handles exactly the same. And the dark side of DFM, there was far too much going on to keep track of anything and after a while became a visual mess. With previous installments everything seemed so fluid, but now (and may have been done on purpose) feels overly twitchy, fast, and chaotic.

One of the greatest things I thought was cool about previous installments were the ridiculously impossible super weapons and the exotic super fighters, along with the epic final battles winding through tunnels, and frantic chases through canyons. NONE of those exist in this game, and this is my one major beef with this game. Albeit many of you may think this is a dumb reason and it probably is, but I thought it's what made Ace Combat stand out from the rest.

All in all not a bad game but could really use some refinements. I give it 7 of 10.

Graphics: 8

Gameplay: 6

Sound and Music: 8

Story: 6

Multiplayer: Only played one match so can't make a valid rating yet.

Must admit hat I have some reservations about the DFM etc, all feels a bit 'gimmicky' and unnecessary, but on the whole, yes I agree, this is the best title by far.

I am just soooo happy there isn't the ridiculous blow up some futuristic completely ridiculous flying fortress and above all else....no flying down the god dam tunnel at the end!!! Those two things alone give this title my vote!

Great title if just a touch less than perfect with the silly DFM modes etc.

Must admit hat I have some reservations about the DFM etc, all feels a bit 'gimmicky' and unnecessary, but on the whole, yes I agree, this is the best title by far.

I am just soooo happy there isn't the ridiculous blow up some futuristic completely ridiculous flying fortress and above all else....no flying down the god dam tunnel at the end!!! Those two things alone give this title my vote!

Great title if just a touch less than perfect with the silly DFM modes etc.

Not perfect IMO, and at first really couldn't get used to the DFM system, but as I slowly mastered how it works, Assault Horizon isn't too bad for me. I still prefer the more story-telling-focusing style on AC6 (and AC4 & 5 to other fans but I haven't played them), but the online play is definitely great fun.

Not perfect IMO, and at first really couldn't get used to the DFM system, but as I slowly mastered how it works, Assault Horizon isn't too bad for me. I still prefer the more story-telling-focusing style on AC6 (and AC4 & 5 to other fans but I haven't played them), but the online play is definitely great fun.

I would agree 100% that regardless of your feelings towards DFM / ASM, it does definitely take some getting used to. Even when I did get used to it and master it, I just never found it something I could get on with.

I mean it is intended to give a sense of speed and heart thumping action, and it does in some small part but, to anyone who knows anything about aircraft, when you enter into a dogfight with an SU-25 Frogfoot and it weaves around the skies like a small agile fighter such as the Typhoon, it starts getting a bit silly. The Frogfoot is so slow in real life it take bird strikes in the rear and turns like a pregnant cow, it is basically the fat guy who never leaves his house and hasn't seen his genitals in 15 years of the aviation world.

I just think they didn't need it, but for better or worse it is here, still a great game though.

• 4 weeks later...

i wish they would come back with fuel consumption. i think, after all these ace combats before they tends to make ace combat more unrealistic like the hawx games and somehow the dogfights and many scriptevents sucks :(. its like final fantasy 13, the developer and publisher try to open their games for the mainstream. but i can't agree with those developments :mad:. ... how the times have changed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

For me, AC:AH is one of the weakest games from the Ace Combat franchise.

I had fun in my first playtrough, but the campaign had to many quicktime events for my taste. Far to many. This game doesn't let you any free choice in your playtrough. The soundtrack is still great as always. Graphics are lightly over average for me, for a console game it's surely an nice eyecatch; if you aren't analyzing the muddy ground textures. All that's fine to me.

But what I really don't like is the most important part: the gameplay.

The cinematic cutscenes looks visually nice, but technically it gets really annoying and boring after a few minutes. Even in the online mode you will activate this cutscenes, while your plane flys out of map and explodes. You see this cinematic scenes over and over again and can't control your plane. Target_Leads can't be shot down regulary, no, you have to follow the same loop over and over again; if you restart a mission over and over again for an A-Rank, it gets annoying as hell. But what I most don't like is the DFM Mode: You don't need to fly at all anymore, all what you need are good special weapons and good skills equipped. This totally feels wrong, especially, if you are a fan since the first Air Combat game of this series.

I still play it online sometimes, even if I enjoyed AC 6 so much more. (Level 2) But it looks like the multiplayer is rather dead then active.

Edited by Fenriswolf

• 1 month later...

Was kinda going to ask for your guys opinions on this game haha

Is it worth buying it?

The one I liked the most so far was 5, for the storyline and stuff, but again apart from the 5 I only had a PSOne game that I don't remember which number it was... I wanted to get my hands on the 4, but PS2 games were still expensive when I got to play the 5...

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand how you people say this game is great??? It fuckin sucks compared to the rest of the franchise. You cant kill anyone unless you are in dfm mode, it takes 3-5 missles to get a kill, you squad mates don't do dick to help you when you're getting gang raped and the controls suck. AC6 was a million times better and I'm sorry I ever played this crap game!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...