Achievement Guide and Roadmap

DEG23

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question - how does the game track how many playthroughs you have for the beat the game from the 5 locations achievement? I am getting ready to start my 3rd playthrough and i noticed that there isn't a "final save" that is designated. I just want to make sure when i finish my final game that I get that delicious pop:)

Difficulty chievos stack.

But... maybe you should concern not to try Impossible difficulty first when you're new to the game.

Anyway - as the guide says, you need 5 playthroughs for another chievo anyway, so I suggest 1 or 2 normal or classic playthroughs to get into the game and mop up some of the achievements before you try Classic ironman and then Impossible

Ironman mode and especially Impossible difficulty are very unforgiving and frustrating and when you start with those... well, you may learn to hate the game very fast :D

(I started on Steam back at release days and with Impossible Ironman and I needed like 35 tries to even finish the first mission with no one killed - so never play Imp/Ironman! ;))

Difficulty chievos stack.

But... maybe you should concern not to try Impossible difficulty first when you're new to the game.

Anyway - as the guide says, you need 5 playthroughs for another chievo anyway, so I suggest 1 or 2 normal or classic playthroughs to get into the game and mop up some of the achievements before you try Classic ironman and then Impossible

Ironman mode and especially Impossible difficulty are very unforgiving and frustrating and when you start with those... well, you may learn to hate the game very fast :D

(I started on Steam back at release days and with Impossible Ironman and I needed like 35 tries to even finish the first mission with no one killed - so never play Imp/Ironman! ;))

Great Advice!!! And Thanks for the Answer!

Anyone who is struggling with 'Wet work' should just do it early. I did it in the 1st month (4th mission). There were quite a few aliens, but they were all sectoids.

All I did was kill the mind merging ones to cut the numbers down quick. Just remember to rank your soldiers up with this achievement in mind (sniper should have snap shot for example) and to keep moving forward before shooting (even if this leaves you flanked, the sectoids at the back usually mind merge with the ones on the front line, so just move forward and kill the back ones. The ones flanking you will end up dead anyway).

Also don't be afraid to use your grenades.

Done with the basic squad size/weapons/armour with grenades.

Edited by PhilAvery

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations!

This Achievement Guide and Roadmap has been reviewed by Guide Team Staff member Yunder and has been published as the Official x360a.org Achievement Guide and Roadmap! The link to the Official Guide is here:

Official x360a.org XCOM: Enemy Unknown Achievement Guide and Roadmap

Please post any updates within the Update: Guides & Roadmaps thread.

Also, please check the Award Tracking: Guides & Roadmaps forum to make sure we are up to date.

You may request for those to be edited/updated within that forum as well.

We look forward to your future submissions!

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the DLC after completing Classic playthrough. Trying to finish Confounding Light on Impossible is practically impossible, let alone trying to do it with more than 3 turns remaining. 3 hours just to try to finish the mission is a bit ridiculous and incredibly frustrating, and most of that time was spent watching enemy actions. I really wish you could turn them off like you could in the original. It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a time limit, but as it is, 2nd month in you have crappy weapons, crappy armour, thin men have double health, and I've had 6 mutons throughout the mission right up to the last transponder. Don't know if any more show up after that.

Just bought the DLC after completing Classic playthrough. Trying to finish Confounding Light on Impossible is practically impossible, let alone trying to do it with more than 3 turns remaining. 3 hours just to try to finish the mission is a bit ridiculous and incredibly frustrating, and most of that time was spent watching enemy actions. I really wish you could turn them off like you could in the original. It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a time limit, but as it is, 2nd month in you have crappy weapons, crappy armour, thin men have double health, and I've had 6 mutons throughout the mission right up to the last transponder. Don't know if any more show up after that.

I don't know if it's possible to finish the mission with 3 turns left on impossible. I only ever managed to finish it with exactly 4 turns left on normal. Unless you get lucky and just run to each of the nodes without getting shot, i can't see how you would even get this on classic.

I don't know if it's possible to finish the mission with 3 turns left on impossible. I only ever managed to finish it with exactly 4 turns left on normal. Unless you get lucky and just run to each of the nodes without getting shot, i can't see how you would even get this on classic.

Yeah, I gave up in the end. Actually, as it turns out, the mission pops up again every months until you complete it. Well, I guess it does, but I've just started month 4 on impossible; getting a bit easier now that my guys can shoot straight and have laser weapons, and soon to have plasma as well. I started a playthrough on easy just to finish it with 4 turns remaining for the achievement. Just want to get to the end in impossible, but will wait until my guys have proper armour too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, sorry if this has been covered but I'm a little confused.

The guide states that saving in the previous turn and reloading will re-roll hit chance for your soldiers, I have a couple of questions about this.

Firstly, I've rinse/repeated about thirty times on a 60% shot, the save was before my last action of the previous turn, the aliens then moved into my view during alien activity (with the little action cutscene you get when first spotting a group) and then took up positions as they usually do, so it went straight back to me. I assume this constitutes a 'turn' i.e a new full turn begins when you start your soldiers' actions after the alien activity? As opposed to a turn being a 'player' turn like turn 1 is you, turn 2 is alien activity, turn 3 back to you etc. So why is my hit not rerolling?

I've noticed a few places on the forums it mentions moving your soldiers' position seems to trigger recalculating a shot, in the instance I'm describing above I didn't relocate at all, so is repositioning the actual factor which causes your shot to be rerolled? Does the turn sequence have any impact at all on shot calculation? For example if a sniper remained stationary without shooting for three turns would he be storing up the same rolled shot? And conversely if you reload a save from within the same turn just prior to a shot, and then reposition your soldier, will this mean a recalulated shot?

My second question is about what exactly is being recalculated. You have a given %chance of hitting based on range, cover and so on, so does your soldier get a flat roll which is compared to his %chance when taking the shot, or does the game calculate a flat hit or miss for that soldier for his next shot?

For example, does it work by Soldier rolling %45 (either when repositioning or at the start of the turn, whenever it happens) so if he attempted any shot with a chance of hitting of 45% or greater he would hit, but any shot with a chance of hitting of 44% or less he would miss. Or alternatively does the game just determine a hit or miss for his next shot based on accuracy and weapon loadout etc?

I have to echo sentiments I've seen elsewhere that the numbers given do not reflect the actual chance of making a shot, it seems a 45% chance of hitting in easy mode is far more likely to score a hit than in Impossible, if anyone could clarify these points and update the guide that'd be much appreciated, I think I may have just wasted three hours unsuccessfuly trying to abuse the save system to get the Finest Hour cheevo!

Thanks for the guide generally.

J

Hi, sorry if this has been covered but I'm a little confused.

The guide states that saving in the previous turn and reloading will re-roll hit chance for your soldiers, I have a couple of questions about this.

Firstly, I've rinse/repeated about thirty times on a 60% shot, the save was before my last action of the previous turn, the aliens then moved into my view during alien activity (with the little action cutscene you get when first spotting a group) and then took up positions as they usually do, so it went straight back to me. I assume this constitutes a 'turn' i.e a new full turn begins when you start your soldiers' actions after the alien activity? As opposed to a turn being a 'player' turn like turn 1 is you, turn 2 is alien activity, turn 3 back to you etc. So why is my hit not rerolling?

You're right, a turn consists of both you and the aliens moving. However, when it comes to the hit chances I think this is already decided when the aliens move, that's why I suggest reloading a save on your previous move, before the aliens have moved.

I've noticed a few places on the forums it mentions moving your soldiers' position seems to trigger recalculating a shot, in the instance I'm describing above I didn't relocate at all, so is repositioning the actual factor which causes your shot to be rerolled? Does the turn sequence have any impact at all on shot calculation? For example if a sniper remained stationary without shooting for three turns would he be storing up the same rolled shot? And conversely if you reload a save from within the same turn just prior to a shot, and then reposition your soldier, will this mean a recalulated shot?

I don't know if repositioning re-rolls the hit chance, but it does give you a chance to try a different outcome. In other words, if your original position was a miss, but then you reload a previous save and try a different position, this position was already calculated from the end of your previous turn. There was one occasion where I tried moving to a different position from my original turn, missed, reloaded several times and still missed every shot. So moving only gives you a second chance to land a shot, but doesn't re-roll the hit chance.

As for the sniper, their hit chance changes on each turn, even if you didn't move them. There have been plenty of times where on my first turn I had a 75% chance, missed, didn't move, then on my next turn had a 75% chance and hit.

My second question is about what exactly is being recalculated. You have a given %chance of hitting based on range, cover and so on, so does your soldier get a flat roll which is compared to his %chance when taking the shot, or does the game calculate a flat hit or miss for that soldier for his next shot?

For example, does it work by Soldier rolling %45 (either when repositioning or at the start of the turn, whenever it happens) so if he attempted any shot with a chance of hitting of 45% or greater he would hit, but any shot with a chance of hitting of 44% or less he would miss. Or alternatively does the game just determine a hit or miss for his next shot based on accuracy and weapon loadout etc?

From what i've seen I think it depends on the variables and position. Taking a shot with 45% chance and missing, then reloading, moving to a new position with 45% chance and hitting can happen, so again, I don't think it's a complete re-roll because you will always miss from that first position.

I have to echo sentiments I've seen elsewhere that the numbers given do not reflect the actual chance of making a shot, it seems a 45% chance of hitting in easy mode is far more likely to score a hit than in Impossible, if anyone could clarify these points and update the guide that'd be much appreciated, I think I may have just wasted three hours unsuccessfuly trying to abuse the save system to get the Finest Hour cheevo!

Thanks for the guide generally.

J

I can't remember where I read it (I think it was the 2K forums) but the devs said that the chances of landing shots on easy and normal where stacked in the player's favor. That's why you will land 45% shots a lot more on easy than you will on impossible. I have only done the one playthrough on Impossible (well 4 actually but I never made it past the 1st month in good shape:p) and I think the re-rolling on chances is still stacked heavily in the alien's favor. There were several times where I reloaded a save because most of my soldiers missed and were subsequently missing. Only on a few occasions did I land a successful shot, in the end I tried a different approach.

If you have any more question feel free to ask, and welcome to the site:)

Edited by DEG23

• 1 month later...

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/2211/5-hqoqM=.jpgWet Work – 10:gsicon:

Complete a Very hard abduction mission in five turns or less on Classic or Impossible difficulty

This can be a difficult achievement as finding a 'very hard' abduction mission can take time. To increase your chances, try and raise the panic level in one continent. The higher the panic level, the harder the mission will be.

As there is a limited number of maps and the rotation is random, it may also help if you wait until you receive a map you know well and are confident you can get through quickly. Just be sure to save your game at the base before launching the mission.

Your soldier load out is entirely up to you but it is highly recommended you have a minimum of 5 soldiers and trying to clear a very hard mission with only 4 is near impossible.

The easiest way to beat the mission in five turns or less, is to start off by proceeding through the map learning what enemies are present and where they are located. Then reload the save you made at the start of the level and run through with that knowledge. Their positions and strategies may vary slightly but overall you should know what to expect.

TIP: Despite the option of Classic or Impossible, this will be much simpler on Classic

Anyone have any real good strategies/tips for this? It's the last achv I have for the game & can't for the life of me seem to pull it off. I'm pretty decent at the game and have a pretty deep understanding of the mechanics, just can't ever seem to get it in 5 turns. I've frustratingly gotten it 6 turns several times. So if anyone can suggest a good map, squad make-up, etc. please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

40 achievements on the first play through :p

Reloaded, mind controlled the last ethereal and got the Xavier achievement too :D

I got the Flight of the Valkyries achievement immediately after starting my second play through. I skipped the tutorial and was lucky enough to start off with 4 females. You get taken straight to the first mission where you have to kill 4 sectoids. The achievement popped as soon as I'd killed the last sectoid.

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/2211/5-hqoqM=.jpgWet Work – 10:gsicon:

Complete a Very hard abduction mission in five turns or less on Classic or Impossible difficulty

This can be a difficult achievement as finding a 'very hard' abduction mission can take time. To increase your chances, try and raise the panic level in one continent. The higher the panic level, the harder the mission will be.

As there is a limited number of maps and the rotation is random, it may also help if you wait until you receive a map you know well and are confident you can get through quickly. Just be sure to save your game at the base before launching the mission.

Your soldier load out is entirely up to you but it is highly recommended you have a minimum of 5 soldiers and trying to clear a very hard mission with only 4 is near impossible.

The easiest way to beat the mission in five turns or less, is to start off by proceeding through the map learning what enemies are present and where they are located. Then reload the save you made at the start of the level and run through with that knowledge. Their positions and strategies may vary slightly but overall you should know what to expect.

TIP: Despite the option of Classic or Impossible, this will be much simpler on Classic

Anyone have any real good strategies/tips for this? It's the last achv I have for the game & can't for the life of me seem to pull it off. I'm pretty decent at the game and have a pretty deep understanding of the mechanics, just can't ever seem to get it in 5 turns. I've frustratingly gotten it 6 turns several times. So if anyone can suggest a good map, squad make-up, etc. please let me know.

I followed the advice of this guy, and it worked on my first try. Grenades in particular were useful.

Anyone who is struggling with 'Wet work' should just do it early. I did it in the 1st month (4th mission). There were quite a few aliens, but they were all sectoids.

All I did was kill the mind merging ones to cut the numbers down quick. Just remember to rank your soldiers up with this achievement in mind (sniper should have snap shot for example) and to keep moving forward before shooting (even if this leaves you flanked, the sectoids at the back usually mind merge with the ones on the front line, so just move forward and kill the back ones. The ones flanking you will end up dead anyway).

Also don't be afraid to use your grenades.

Done with the basic squad size/weapons/armour with grenades.

• 2 months later...