Should I kill Paarthurnax or not?

Guest Scotty

if you kill him, you will no longer be able to meditate words with him, and you will not be welcome in high hrothgar(you can still enter whenever you please). you will then be able to join the blades and start recruiting for them, but there is no real benefit in doing so.

if you dont kill him, you will still be in favour with the greybeards, and paarthurnax will still meditate words for you. the blades will not 'help' you any further unless you kill him, but you dont really need their help, to be fair.

the best option would be to leave him alive. you will have the quest to kill him forever so just leave him alive and if at some point you change your mind, then you can kill him later on.

there really isn't anything major about either choice, but the small advantage you get for keeping him alive is reason enough, to keep him alive.

How many words do you meditate with him?

3. One makes Unrelenting Force stronger. One makes Fire Breath stronger. And the last one makes the Become Ethereal shout last longer. Basically they're passive buffs. You can only have 1 active at a time though.

I would recommend leaving him alive. I think he's a really cool character. So I don't want to kill him. Not only that but the Blades are complete asshats. I say this because their reasoning for why you should kill him is stupid. They basically say he should die because of what he did in the past. Totally disregarding all of the help he's given you to save the world and all of the good he's done since defecting from Alduin all those eons ago. Then if you refuse they get all pissy towards you. Even though you saved their asses on multiple occasions. Basically they are ungrateful ingrates. And I'd gladly kill them if it was possible. You can't. But you can lead them to the edge of the mountain and Fus Roh Da their asses off. XD

You can recruit a few people to them before they even ask you to kill him btw. It's useful if you have followers like Karjo that randomly travel the world and are hard to track down. This makes them stay at the Sky Temple permanently and gives them some cool Blades armor and weapons.

Edited by BloodGodAlucard

honestly its nothing more than personal choice, gray beards give quests to find words of power but the quests arent required to get them and the blades give quests to kill dragons both these things can be done anyway or be done before you do it.

the only thing you really loose is the choice between powers to meditate on but honestly who switches between them anyway, just choose the one you use and stick to it your not exactly gonna go back to him every time you want to use the shout are you?

if you kill him, you will no longer be able to meditate words with him, and you will not be welcome in high hrothgar(you can still enter whenever you please). you will then be able to join the blades and start recruiting for them, but there is no real benefit in doing so.

if you dont kill him, you will still be in favour with the greybeards, and paarthurnax will still meditate words for you. the blades will not 'help' you any further unless you kill him, but you dont really need their help, to be fair.

the best option would be to leave him alive. you will have the quest to kill him forever so just leave him alive and if at some point you change your mind, then you can kill him later on.

there really isn't anything major about either choice, but the small advantage you get for keeping him alive is reason enough, to keep him alive.

Another plus you get a boss ass cut scene at the end with him in it and if you kill him well you get the gist of the of it.

if your reading a board this long after a game comes out, expect spoilers...

Yes quite right! But most ppl have the courtesy to not put a blatant spoiler as the subject, he/she couldve put the quest name with *Spoiler next to it!

This forum is about gaining achievements, not everyone has all achievements or completed the main quest line within the first month of its release ESPECIALLY in a game like Skyrim!

Yes quite right! But most ppl have the courtesy to not put a blatant spoiler as the subject, he/she couldve put the quest name with *Spoiler next to it!

This forum is about gaining achievements, not everyone has all achievements or completed the main quest line within the first month of its release ESPECIALLY in a game like Skyrim!

Well honestly that wouldn't have worked since the name of the Quest is "Paarthunax." The only way he could have completely avoided spoilers would be to make it a vague title like "Did you Kill SPOILER?" He probably should have. But the game has been out for 10 months now. Even if you put considerable time into the game, you should have atleast finished the main quest by now. I mean I've personally logged over 300 hours in the game at this point. Still I'm sorry that you were spoiled. I hate it when that happens in an RPG that I'm playing.

Spoilers

I really do think he makes a great character. I mean a dragon, leader of the greybeards and speaks in half dragon language towards you.

(ex: You're pretty good. dookie jeezuz thuunak}

I just thought having someone that powerful looking is great to keep. And I agree with the blades being ungrateful.

Looks like I'll be keeping him alive then.

I'm about to hit the 300 hour mark with my third character, and this time I've finally created a Nord who I will take through the main quest. I knew of the character in question and that you could decide their fate, but I never knew the consequences.

Cheers for the info lads. :D

He went against his inherent evil nature to help you beat Alduin. The Blades are a bunch of short sighted idiots. "We don't care that he helped you, kill him because he's a Dragon hurr durrr."

Fuck you Delphine. Keep hanging out with Esbern who can't seem to decide what accent he has.

In summary...

Bro tier = Paarthurnax

Shit Tier = The Blades

• 7 months later...

I say no point in killing him, you dont need the blades and plus you can always just steal their armor if you want it. Just give the armor to a follow if your doing the brotherhood of darkness quests.

Also Paarthurnax is awesome, the blades suck i killed him once on a secondary profile and recruited followers and everytime i summoned Odaviing their dumbasses attacked him.

I couldn't kill Paarthurnax after everything he did to help me defeat Alduin. He doesn't deserve to die. He has redeemed himself. I felt like I would be betraying him and the Greybeards if I went through with it.

Also, I stole the Dragonbane sword from the Blades as an added little "fuck you". Ha!