Few pointers for those struggling with kombo challenges

I just completed my last kombo and i wouldn't have been able to do it without all the help i got, so i figured its only fair i help others.

First off try to do the characters from easiest to hardest there is a list somewhere, i found batman to be one of the easier, and lui kang to be my hardest, but it differs depending on the person.

Second, i used a video guide on youtube, this guy actually explains how to perform the kombos and makes this a lot easier. if you get stuck, use the exact character and level he uses. His account name is dec1Bel718.

Third Shao Kahn makes most of the kombos alot easier use him for the most part, unless you get stuck, then refer to what i said earlier.

Fourth, for kombos that involve the juggling like scorpions #3, Jokers #9 , and Shang Tsung's #5 and #7, the last juggle should land right before you hit the ground. Once you understand this, these will become much easier.

Fifth, use the D-pad its much more accurate than the stick and will prevent you from doing random moves for the most part.

And last, do a few at a time and keep trying the more you do, the better you'll get. I hope this helps all you guys that are having trouble with this achievement. I am absolutely terrible at fighting games and i managed to complete all 22 and if i can do it so can you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fifth, use the D-pad its much more accurate...

Hardly. I hit Left, and end up with one of the other three directions instead. This is on all 5 controllers in my house.

It would have been better if Microsoft made each direction a separate button rather than a big round pad that can mis-interpret what you're pushing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know why some people seem to think that owning a stick will miraculously turn them into a fighting game master. First of all: getting used to it will take you a long-ass time and second: by the time you are actually any good with the stick you probably would have been able to do all of the Kombo Challenges ten times over.

It just takes a bit of practice, they aren't nearly as challenging as the Hard Trials in Street Fighter IV and I ended up doing both on a regular 360 controller.

I don't know why some people seem to think that owning a stick will miraculously turn them into a fighting game master. First of all: getting used to it will take you a long-ass time and second: by the time you are actually any good with the stick you probably would have been able to do all of the Kombo Challenges ten times over.

It just takes a bit of practice, they aren't nearly as challenging as the Hard Trials in Street Fighter IV and I ended up doing both on a regular 360 controller.

I'm not getting it because I think it is going to make me better at the game, I am getting it b/c it is coming with the Tekken game that I preordered...I was just asking if it was any easier than using the regular controller b/c every time I try to use the d-pad/joystick on the regular controller it always adds in directions that I didn't push...

Well good :) to be honest I'd just keep at it if I were u, it really doesn't involve that many complicated button presses. It's mostly a matter of linking somewhat longer series of commands together.

I will probably go back to it and try it out again, I think that is all that I have left for the achievements...I just got irritated with it and gave up on it (I got sick of every time I hit a button it put in something else with it and messed it up)...It also doesn't help any that I have a really hard time trying to figure out what the commands even say as they are cut off on my tv to where you can't hardly read them...

Can't you re-adjust your screen settings?

I've tried, I have problems with a lot of games...If there is any text at the top of the screen it is either cut off or too small to read...Some games are too dark to play (terminator salvation)...I've tried changing in game settings...I've tried changing tv settings, but nothing works...It's mostly only the newer games though...I dunno, I guess they are trying to make them where you have to buy HDTV or something to be able to play them, but I don't want to buy a new tv...Every time I do they die...:(

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I just completed my last kombo and i wouldn't have been able to do it without all the help i got, so i figured its only fair i help others.

First off try to do the characters from easiest to hardest there is a list somewhere, i found batman to be one of the easier, and lui kang to be my hardest, but it differs depending on the person.

Second, i used a video guide on youtube, this guy actually explains how to perform the kombos and makes this a lot easier. if you get stuck, use the exact character and level he uses. His account name is dec1Bel718.

Third Shao Kahn makes most of the kombos alot easier use him for the most part, unless you get stuck, then refer to what i said earlier.

Fourth, for kombos that involve the juggling like scorpions #3, Jokers #9 , and Shang Tsung's #5 and #7, the last juggle should land right before you hit the ground. Once you understand this, these will become much easier.

Fifth, use the D-pad its much more accurate than the stick and will prevent you from doing random moves for the most part.

And last, do a few at a time and keep trying the more you do, the better you'll get. I hope this helps all you guys that are having trouble with this achievement. I am absolutely terrible at fighting games and i managed to complete all 22 and if i can do it so can you.

Do you have any suggestions for Jax's combo's 6 and 8, they're the only two i have left for this guy. i can do the combo except the last part i cant get the blinding light or the gun to input at the very end. suggestions, anyone?

Edited by Divine Infekt

• 2 weeks later...
Hardly. I hit Left, and end up with one of the other three directions instead. This is on all 5 controllers in my house.

It would have been better if Microsoft made each direction a separate button rather than a big round pad that can mis-interpret what you're pushing.

I agree. I hate the D-pad on the X360. It messes me up on Gears of War 2 sometimes as well.:mad:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just got the game from gamefly and I got a good amount done but, JAX is the only Kombo Challenge I was able to finish, I got a few almost done but, they are hard to pull off with the 360 controller. I mean I do a half circle forward and it ( fireball motion ) and I jump all over the place. I also get the Kombos out but, not quick enough. The Kombo keeps ending before I am done. But I will keep trying to do them or this will be a game that I will never be able to finish!

• 3 weeks later...
honestly unless youve been playin since sega these are gonna be super hard!

i dunno if ima get them, prolly not, another full 1000g lost to a shitty game!

I've been playing MK since the arcade, and then on Sega, and then everything else... And I still find these ridiculously hard. I don't know if being 27 years old has anything to do with it, but maybe I've just passed my prime where it comes to being able to beat these stupid challenges.

If only the d-pad on the 360 controller didn't SUCK.

I have this trouble with ALL fighting games.

What really kills me is that I heard the UK got a special controller with a dpad with a more accurate d-pad because of soccer games. Apparently outcry for accuracy is even crazier in Europe.

Hate to say it dude, but if you're still using the D-pad for every fighting game, you're living in the stone age. Learn how to play with the analog stick and you'll get infinitely better.

Problem is: you have no choice with MK vs. DC as the d-pad controls jumping and all other 2D movement.

And the thing about the special controller is true for Europe, but only in very limited edition.

Hate to say it dude, but if you're still using the D-pad for every fighting game, you're living in the stone age. Learn how to play with the analog stick and you'll get infinitely better.

Ha, sadly I also had this realization. Pulling off shoryukens with the stick is still odd to me. However, I think I've gotten a lot better. 3-D fighters (Tekken, Soul Calibur) feel more natural to me now with the stick, but I still gravitate back to the d-pad for MvC2, SSFTIIHD, and SFIV sometimes.