hard core mode- HELP

killerj46

I beat dead space two on normal about 5 times and I tried hardcore using the same skills as. I would for any other difficulty but I am constantly dying and having to restart where you run in the straight jacket and I can't even keep ahold of enough ammo to properly defend myself is it necessary to change your overall playstyle and if so can someone give any tips on what I should change?

I had exactly the same problem!

In my opinion being prepared is key. I have now made 2 hardcore runs, one with and one without the use of DLCs

What helped me most was having a video walkthrough, knowing when and where enemies spawn made all the difference:

I used the videos from nextgentactics:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nextgentactics+dead+space+2+hardcore&aq=f

They Unfortunately they stop after ch. 9. So i used the ones from NextGenWalkthroughs for the last part:

Another thing of great help was reading all the tips from this community:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=291360

Here is a recent one if you go at it without the use of DLCs:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324494

A community member called freaks has assembled Hardcore Mode videos with additional tips, I have not looked at those videos, but they are probably good and there you have it all in one place:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=326486

So yes! Do change your way of playing! Changing to the tactics above made all the difference to me.

Here are some random personal tips:

What weapon to use is of course down to personal preference, I used the "Bloody Force Gun" and Plasma Cutter combo in the first run. Worked great for me, especially the drill ride was made safe by the use of the Force Gun.

If you go at it without the use of DLCs having a save from DS1 on your Hard Drive is nice. It will give you an extra Plasma Cutter to use in the earlier stages (it comes with 10 extra shots). That backup saved me once on chapter 4 where you are attacked by several leapers. I was out of ammo when three leapers jumped towards me. I used stasis, switched gun killed two of them, ran past the third, picked up ammo from the dead ones and was in control again.

There are several places in ch. 13 that can be run through 3 red rooms and one blue one. Here is a video from a user called landscape97 on youtube. Just running past the first room as he does is not recommended btw!:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Landscape97#p/u/15/33SQQ-i3I6Q

On my DLC free run I saved at the beginning of ch. 13 and not at the more widely used save before the eye poke machine (which I used the first time), and I am glad I did as I managed to die early on in ch. 13.

On both runs I took all the nodes from the Force Gun and used them on the Contact beam before starting ch. 14. The fully upgraded alt-fire has a stasis effect, giving you time to dispatch multiple attackers. The final fight is over in moments with a fully uppgraded Contact beam as well. Both times the pack did not even reach me before it was over.

Here is an easy way of getting through that timed door in ch. 7:

Good luck!

Thank you very much I am going do do a couple zealot runs before I do hard core and my friend told me some good save spots for hard core. and I never though having less weapond on you would actually be more effective I'm gonna check out those walkthroughs when I come around to it. Thanks a lot.

Glad to help.

It is an intense experience. Horribly frustrating if you die (as I did some times), and very satisfying when you make it.

I can't recall any other achievement I have taken getting me so involved as this one. The cost of dying is so great, it had me on the edge of the chair at times.

holy crap this is hard I made it to the part after stross says look out where the doors lock and the lights go out I had 8 health kits plasma cutter and engeneer suit and one landed right next to me so I ran and it was so dark I just spammed melee and hit nothing then I got grabbed with half full health and died. Had to start from the beggining of the game. I wouldn't mind that is I didn't have to watch the stupid beginning cutscene like 12 times I am going to get. Ahold of the dlc get a force gun from the start and beat this its impossible with just the plasma cutter.

The Force Gun from Martial Law will definately make it much easier.

If you are really interested in playing it safe there is a DLC exploit.

It is a grind, and many feel it is unneccesary. But if you got the time and will, it will make your Hardcore run a lot easier. Be careful, shoot them far away from you:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XTbpiHcWl8&feature=related]Dead Space 2 - Unlimited Credits Cheat - YouTube[/ame]

If you buy both Supernova and Martial Law, you will get two detonators, making it faster. Spam it at the first shop and whenever you want more power.

Then buy nodes (and a lot of ammo and health packs). Use the nodes to get full stasis, hit points on the rig and everything on the Force Gun and Plasma Cutter. In such tight spots as you described, the enhanced Force Gun will blow the enemies to smithereens. Just back into a safe corner and fire away.

Supernova got a suit with 15% extra health everytime you use a health pack.

Whitemox! Good luck on your run!

You disregard saves and check points and your ammo until you play hardcore.I had a plasma cutter 13 bullets and line gun 4 at the first pack encounter and I used the line guns as effectivly as possible the just meleed also I thought that the red room in the church of unitology in chapter three right before chapter four was where thos two armed bladed tail jumper things show up so I used a save. Sure enough they didn't show up I breezed through that and got to the security suit schematic so now when ever I die I am at that save kill those guys again do the puzzle before the security suit run back to the store and come back.

• 2 weeks later...

When I did my run through I used the disk change as my first save...

Then right before you go onto the Ishimura, next before the Eye poker, then right before the last fight. Hardcore mode was good, I liked the hard mode from the fist game better, because it didn't have the new game plus... it made it harder I think, then this games Zealot mode.

Guess everyone had problems in beating HC mode. My tips for you are:

Know exactly where necromorph spot will be. I played HC after 2 runs on normal and hard, so i remembered the majority of the with ease. Knowing how many necros will attack and from where will get things a lot easier.

Pay extreme attention to leapers. I found them the most annoying necros in the entire game. They attack really quickly and hit hard.

Une Kinesis as much as possible. In DS1 Stasis was a must, here kinesis takes the spotlight. You can save lots of ammos using necros blades or any other sharp object you come across.

Choose not more than 3 weapons to max out. Quantity is not what you want here. Firepower is what's needed and using nodes on 4 weapons + RIG + stasis equal nothing really maxed out. (personally i used just plasma cutter and force gun + pulse rifle to deal with anything that required lots of ammos but low damage output.

From when you get it ALWAYS use the vintage suit to buy at the stores. you don't save much but you save indeed some credits, and in the long run it will prove vital.

Cutscenes can mess everything up, so remembere when one of them is coming and be prepared to mash buttons or dodge fragments properly. One single lttle mistake here can kill eve the most experienced player.

That's all for now. hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Starting to feel like it is finally time to pick this achievement up. I really like the challenge and I hope that I can make it far into the story before using that first save.

Agree that this challenge feels like a mix of knowing what to do and having the right equipment readily available.

Threads like this one really helps as well! :)