Anybody else thought the original Mafia was better than GTA III?

MACdanstaface

I haven't got red dead yet. I'm thinking that, given the Mafia/GTA III comparison, I might be better off waiting a few months and getting mafia II instead.

It seems like the info around the game is rather sparse, and I haven't been able to find out much. All suggestions/comments appreciated.

totally agree with scud - although my personal experience is all pc-related

mafia, on my rig ran like a charm, whilst gta3 caused all sorts of problems (found out it was because i had a momo-racewheel)

i also preferred the story of mafia and wanted it to continue forever

Mafia was a great game. The story and atmosphere had a great Godfather feel. GTAIII and GTAIV couldn't keep me interested, and I never completed them.

Currently, playing Red Dead Redemption and it feels more like the original Mafia than a GTA game.

Looking forward to playing Mafia II when it releases.

• 2 weeks later...
GTA III is superior to Mafia in so many ways. And they are totally different games. Try playing'em both today and tell me Mafia is better than GTA III. If you really think so, I want a detailed list of what makes it better :)

i like the old time feel, the missions are way better, i like the gameplay better, the voice acting and the cutscenes are better, i like the races you can do in mafia, i like how in free ride mode you can do taxi mission i know you can do it in gta 3 but it was better in mafia, and i like the cars better.

GTA III is superior to Mafia in so many ways. And they are totally different games. Try playing'em both today and tell me Mafia is better than GTA III. If you really think so, I want a detailed list of what makes it better :)

- Better atmosphere, I've been gaming for over 20 years and I've seen very few games that can rival its atmosphere

- Better story, GTA III's story was mediocre at best IMO

- Overall more fun and immersive gameplay

- Soundtrack suits the game and mood better than the one in GTA III

- Better graphics (on the PC that is)

Basically everything was better, I don't see how GTA III is "superior in many ways". To me that sounds false.

I replayed both games back in 2009 and Mafia is clearly the winner. GTA III as of today doesn't feel that great anymore, it has aged horribly. Mafia however is still top notch and very little games have come close even after all those years. GTA III is a good game but that's about it. Mafia, however, is a true classic and that is something really rare in the game industry.

How about you? Why don't you state why GTA III is so much better? I'm intrigued how you can say GTA III is much better because I don't see it. Not in the slightest.

Edited by Magnotron

• 2 weeks later...

Mafia will be one of those games from that era which stands the test of time, much like Max Payne, it had it's own style and was truly loved by it's fans.

Hell, I still play it them both because they have intense, engaging story lines.

GTA III will always come second best to Mafia; Mafia stood on it's own, GTA (as good as it is, and I love GTA III) has been bested by it's own franchise.

• 2 weeks later...

You are all crazy... Yes Mafia (PC) was good, but better than GTA? Not even close. GTA: Vice City is my 2nd fav game of all time (Kotor 1 & 2 rule all).

Reasons (that I can recall) GTA is better:

Remember how (painfully) slow the cars were? With the exception of the midgets (race class). I wanted to get out and sprint away the opening car chase in Mafia.

Plus only certain cars were jackable without story progression in GTA you could grab anyone you saw.

Most importantly (for me personally) GTA had the bobcat I love that little 4X4 pickup fast, agile tough and awesome looking (as good as it could be at the time) GTA IV killed it though by making it a "greaser" truck.

Edited by Darth Cuda

It also doesn't help that the original Mafia is WAY harder than GTA III. Yeah, there's mouselook, but it doesn't help when you die from two shots via a shotgun that's half a mile away from you. It was a great game, and I enjoyed the story immensely, but it has not aged nearly as well as GTA III, in my opinion. Maybe I'm not that good at games, I don't know, but I tried a mission in Mafia the other day, and got my behind handed to me promptly.