What did you think? *spoilers*

Schism

I don't know if this is a response to what I wrote. If it is, you misunderstand - and if not, I misunderstood ;) - it makes sense how the town gets overrun. The motive to do so makes no sense. They need zombies to make Queens. But they have zombies... more than enough to last 17 PPV's of zombie-killing and still flood Fortune City fast. And once the ones they have - and had for some time if they managed to make this PPV event so many times - overrun Fortune City then they have a limited amount of time before the military fire bombs the city remains so they then lose all of them. And they only began the gas testing on the final day so it isn't believable that this topped their Queen supply more efficiently then simply using the millions of zombies TIR had.
The zombies aren't infinite. As they get killed during the shows, they would run low on zombies. They have to get more zombies for TIR from somewhere too. Remember how Fortune City isn't the first outbreak? They've been doing this "Our zombie supply is running low, time to make some more" thing for a while.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when Dead Rising 2 was first being announced, the moment they mentioned Zombrex and that it was incredibly expensive and in short supply, I *KNEW* that it'd be a plot point at some point that there was a real cure but that the Pharmaceutical companies simply wern't releasing it because it would cut down on their bottom line. So yeah, I believe there really is a cure.

The zombies aren't infinite. As they get killed during the shows, they would run low on zombies. They have to get more zombies for TIR from somewhere too. Remember how Fortune City isn't the first outbreak? They've been doing this "Our zombie supply is running low, time to make some more" thing for a while.

Las Vegas and Still Creek. That's all between Isabella creating Zombrex and DR2 - in the grand scheme, Las Vegas has a LOT of people. There is also no indication how TIR obtained the Vegas zombies. TIR wouldn't even have existed before Vegas as DR1's S Ending has the Government killing nearly all the zombies. So, between Vegas and Fortune City, TIR did 17 PPV events with an absurd amount of zombies. There is no indication their supply was low, either. So, again, why destroy a whole city to get zombies that are already in plenty supply (and yes TIR is not the same as Phenotrans but the Government could have easily taken the zombies if Phenotrans simply said they needed them to develop a cure) just to do a bit of testing 24 hours before the Government comes in to eliminate all of the test subjects? This makes even LESS sense when Sullivian explains that they do it because important people (like politicians) need Zombrex to live when the series now tells us that Phenotrans has a cure. Then why do they need Queens? If they don't want to save everyone make Zombrex harder to come by and let poorer people turn, now you have more zombies and complete deniability. No, this plot just got completely retarded when they tried to make Phenotrans into Umbrella and then offer an illogical motivation for the destruction of whole cities when the game is counterclaiming that there is SO MANY zombies that they could create 17 whole PPV Zombie-Killin' events. Plot failure.

Oh yeah, to talk more about the game from a playing standpoint rather than plot
In terms of gameplay, the series gets better but the writers really need to determine the antagonists motivations or the plot just becomes stupid. Edited by DeltaKappaEcho

First, it is 2-player so already offers more. Second, you should be ashamed for forgetting that CASE: Zero at 400 points was a shock to everyone as almost all Arcade titles not made on a budget release at 800. Most with similar graphics or gameplay (like Hydrophobia) first release at 1200. Capcom stated that they made no profit from CASE: Zero... some people just too quickly forget that CASE: Zero was a hell of a deal and then complain why companies don't do it all the time.

God, I'm so ashamed... lol, what a tool you are. Case Zero wasn't a 'shock' to everyone, it was a pleasant surprise but for once it was a game that justified it's price tag. Given that there was around 4 hours playtime in Case Zero, I'd say it was about the right price. I'd have been happy to pay 560 for it, but not 800. Also, you are furthermore of a tool if you believe Capcom made no profit on Case Zero.

Oh yeah, to talk more about the game from a playing standpoint rather than plot, anyone else pick up the Chef's Knife in the cafeteria? If you haven't, go find it and do the hold X version of its attack: funny stuff. :D

That was in Case Zero and Dead Rising 2 mate :)

lol good points! did anyone else notice that Frank looked like Dan Aykroyd. XD if they make a movie he should play frank. idk why. >___< as for the plot holes and stuff like that i think thats the way capcom does things... :/ i was a little disappointed how it was "the evil greedy company" doing it. Resident Evil?...Umbrella was the same thing. maybe not the exact same interest but still..was kinda bummed on that in DR2

That's all the game tells us about directly. There are probably more.

That is just an assumption and an incorrect one based on what Rebecca says in the game as she, incorrectly, theorized they did this simply because it has been so long since the last outbreak. Nothing in the game suggests it has happened since Still Creek or that anyone staged any of the outbreaks aside from Vegas and Fortune as Sullivian specifies only those two when confronting Greene. That's one of the big problems, the game indicates to the player that there a PLENTY of zombies for these PPV events and even a group trying to protect them... then it claims the antagonist needs zombies to keep important people alive when A) they have a cure and B) they only use the zombies for about a day before the Government gets involved. Doesn't make sense.

God, I'm so ashamed... lol, what a tool you are. Case Zero wasn't a 'shock' to everyone, it was a pleasant surprise but for once it was a game that justified it's price tag. Given that there was around 4 hours playtime in Case Zero, I'd say it was about the right price. I'd have been happy to pay 560 for it, but not 800. Also, you are furthermore of a tool if you believe Capcom made no profit on Case Zero.
You should be ashamed by how little you know but pass off as 'fact'. Search Kotaku or anyother game site for Case Zero price/release announcement. Previous to release everyone expected it would be 800. And Case Zero was less then 4 hours, FYI. But game time doesn't equal price point. Hydrophobia was 1200 points and roughly 3 hours and X-Men offers an achievement to beat the game in 25 mins and that is 800 points! And I won't resort to childish name calling - google Case Zero and profit. They announced that the low price point would get more to crave the full game but 400 points per sold copy would never cover development costs and still turn a profit unless every single gamer bought it. They released it on one platform and not in every region. You would have to be an idiot if you couldn't understand how $5 per sale wouldn't cover development and still turn a profit for a XBLA title of such quality. Next time do some research before trying to argue about common price points or you just come off sounding cheap. Edited by DeltaKappaEcho

Well, whatever you say. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to be a jerk or anything - you are trying to defend the storyline with simply an assumption when I am simply pointing what the game actually depicts and how it contradicts the plot. It would have been fine if they said, 'Oh, I wanna wipe out the world'... instead they tried to justify the antagonists actions despite how inpossible that is given the other details of the story. But by all means, if you KNOW where the story says otherwise then correct me... just don't make an assumption the basis of your defense and then act like I am just making up what the game, itself, says.

Edited by DeltaKappaEcho

Oh yeah, to talk more about the game from a playing standpoint rather than plot, anyone else pick up the Chef's Knife in the cafeteria? If you haven't, go find it and do the hold X version of its attack: funny stuff. :D

Well you know that's not new right?

When I saw the blonde hair of the woman, I instantly thought "Jessie" from Dead Rising 1, and that they had somehow developed a formula to turn people back from zombification.

I was actually disappointed when it was somebody we have no idea about, and this piece of DLC has asked more questions instead of answering any people might have had from DR2.

Wouldn't be surprised to see another episode somewhere down the line, or maybe some DLC added to Dead Rising 2 - I'm surprised they haven't all ready gone down that line to try and stop people trading the Dead Rising 2 disc in.

And yes, it was a little short, but when you add Case West and Case Zero together at 1200 points, I'm not too bothered. You pay that for most new arcade games these days, and I probably just about got my moneys worth from the two DLC "cases".

Could someone explain the differences between endings S and A in DR2? As someone who in my story playthrough (read: the playthrough in which I didn't just run around killing zombies/go achievement hunting) got the S ending, I was quite confused at the beginning of Case West, as it seemed to contradict the ending (why was Chuck looking for evidence to clear himself if he already had it? Where were Katey and Stacey?)

On a related note, is the A ending official now? Or is DR2 CW just an alternate possibility (in the same vein as Force Unleashed 1 & 2's DLC)? Given the clear setup to DR3, I would assume the former (which completely sucks - they make you go through all that extra crap to get the S ending, and it's not the real one? Lame!)

Also, to those people saying Vegas/Still Creek were the only other zombie outbreaks after Willamette, if memory serves at some point in DR2 and/or DR2 CW, a character (don't remember who or when) mentions other zombie outbreaks. One of these could be the one in Japan from the short film Inafune directed as part of the marketing for DR2 (which I assume would be canon). That's one confirmed one, at the very least.

In any event, count me among those unhappy with the seeming retconning of the S ending (I HATE retcons with a passion, no matter how well they're done - and in this case, it wasn't well done at all). As for the cure, I can see a few possibilities. 1) As Frank said, she's full of bull. 2) Bad, self-contradictory writing. 3) She has a cure, but only she and a few others know about it, and she is unwilling to give it to infected politicians/powerful people, knowing that if they believe Zombrex is the only answer to their problem, they will do whatever it takes to help out her company. On the other hand, if she cures them, while they might be grateful, they won't necessarily go to any lengths to help her (a politician could announce there's a cure to get votes, for example, effectively ruining her company). While this last possibility is pure speculation, it's the only way I can see them making sense of her statement without resorting to option #1.

Oh, and what did they do to Isabella's character model? Until Frank blurted out, "Isabella?" I didn't even know it was supposed to be her.

well i've only just started to play this game

and i can already say its looking just as good as dr2 zero & dr 2

i just hope this is just the start of a great series of dr mini games

i have never been the bigest fan of arcade games but i dr2 just feels like a retail release i love it and heres to the next dr2 mission case

the chef knife is pretty fun. loved the bonesaw? not sure if that was in dr2 but the hold x animation was amazing xD
Yeah the bonesaw was pretty sweet as well. I don't remember seeing it in DR2, but then again I forgot that the chef knife was in that so I dunno. :p

I don't mean to be a jerk or anything - you are trying to defend the storyline with simply an assumption when I am simply pointing what the game actually depicts and how it contradicts the plot.
You are trying to attack the storyline with another assumption: there's nothing to say that there weren't other outbreaks they did on purpose, but there's also nothing to say that there were either. It could be either way, there's nothing concrete in the game going either direction. And yet you post in a manner that comes off as "I am right and you are wrong" despite the fact that we are both just guessing.

Could someone explain the differences between endings S and A in DR2? As someone who in my story playthrough (read: the playthrough in which I didn't just run around killing zombies/go achievement hunting) got the S ending, I was quite confused at the beginning of Case West, as it seemed to contradict the ending (why was Chuck looking for evidence to clear himself if he already had it? Where were Katey and Stacey?)
This is easier:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jec2c1NYp90]YouTube - Dead Rising 2 - Ending A[/ame]

It still doesn't match up with the start of Case West all that well (Chuck goes from being sure he's got enough evidence to clear his name to needing some more evidence?), but it clearly fits better than ending S does.

Oh, and what did they do to Isabella's character model? Until Frank blurted out, "Isabella?" I didn't even know it was supposed to be her.
Yeah, it didn't sound like Isabella either. Very strange. Edited by mjc0961

This is easier:

It still doesn't match up with the start of Case West all that well (Chuck goes from being sure he's got enough evidence to clear his name to needing some more evidence?), but it clearly fits better than ending S does.

Yeah, it didn't sound like Isabella either. Very strange.

Thanks for that. What a lame ending (even without the contradictions between it and CW - "Chuck Greene the man was never heard from again." Nevermind the fact that Blue Castle has said Chuck will be the protagonist of DR3.)

Also, just looked up the credits online, and the reason it didn't sound like Isabella is because it was a different actress. According to IMDB, Kim Mai Guest played her in DR1, and Venus Terzo played her in CW. Lame.

It was fun, short yeah. I see the 800 points because it has online co-op. Makes me more interested for the next Dead Rising.

I like the PA announcements, about dinner, and the signs in the cafeteria. Pretty much like they are feeding whoever eats it, zombie flesh. I take it as that at least.. as trying to test on their own workers, seems like something the company would do.

Final boss took me a few tries, than I got the hang of it, wasn't so bad after that. The credits were pretty funny, I'm glad no zombie jumped up making me shit my pants again.

• 10 months later...
Oh and another thing... they didnt explain how Frank escaped with isabela on over time !

I worked in nyc comic con. When I wasn't working i was in the capcom booth. They gave out a free mini comic that explains just that! and they planning on running a series of comics on it. Also the producer for of the record told me that these games dont have any real story to them, they just do it on a fly kinda thing they just work on the mechanics of it first and tie the story together. I was like oh ok... I didnt ask you about story so thanks for the info... He was a nice person though.

• 1 year later...

It was pretty much said by one of the game davs that the reason Frank looked like an ''old man'' as Chuck called him despite Frank being in his 30s is from the Zombrex Issabela created for him in the first before Phenotrans made Zombrex. It was a side effect of looking older then you were,because it was just litterly in the testing phase. Frank and Issabella didn't know if it would work but it did.

B-It would make sense that Issabela would look different and older because several years have passed since Willamete in 06' so from 06-2010 thats four years. She grows up from a young renegade woman.

The ending I liked because it was a prequel,I thought to DR3.

This is not a ''What if'' story like Off The Record was. Chuck STILL has to clear his name or face the death penality to hundreds of murders that he did not do. Remember in DR2 Sullivan destroyed the camera evidence before he kills Rebecca. Chuck trusts Katey to Stacey because Stacey helps Chuck throughout DR2,bringing a kid to the Phenotrans facility would have been dumb, A-no one could keep an eye on her,B-If a guard found her they would have captured her and it would have been a reapetive from DR2.

There were other outbreaks after Willamete before Still Creek and Fourtune City. If you pay attention to the Story in DR1 Carlito has infected the whole Country of America,every City and state is infected by the thousands. So there is no short supply of zombies. If there ever is they abduct ''Missing people and homeless people'' to work on.

Issabella isnt dead,the antagonist women did not want to kill her because Issabella is her greatest asset,why would she kill off the inventor of her Zombrex that has made the woman a billionare. Iss was carried off by the woman,again this could be the set up for DR3.

The story does make sense in DR. The government is behind it all including Phenotrans,Phenotrans pays off the Government and the Government makes the public know ''They cleared up the zombie mess'' by firebombing. If the government did nothing the public would start to susspect something. Phenotrans scares people into buying zombrex from zombie outbreaks. Zombrex is expensive at 100$ a dose a day but Im sure CURE and hospitals offer health care for the less rich.

Why would Issabella tell Frank she worked for Phenotrans ? even if she could Frank would disaprove. I think after they escaped Willamete Phenotrans abducted Iss and made her work for them after they knew she was a genius at Medical concoctions. She probbably couldn't even talk to the outside World anymore. Her whole family was dead so who would file a missing persons report or anything like that.

Only thing I disliked about Case west was that it was smaller then the previous ones and the very very ending. When Chuck says ''No one will believe we were here''despite having camera evidence of what Phenotarns did. Does that mean Chuck hasn't cleared his name yet ? only time will tell in DR3.

Edited by Deadsea 1993