Meta-Games: Tips, Discussion and Help Thread

The Pants Party

So can you only get skulls in the meta-game? I thought I read that, just looking for clarification. Do you set the meta-game up at the party setup screen? I played through the first two levels on legendary last night without campaign scoring don't know if you can get the level achievements and meta-game achievements in the same run through or not.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you can turn on scoring and play through the game, I'm pretty sure you'll also get the regular campaign achievements with the score achievements if you work at it.

Though, I can't test this theory as I won't actually be able to play the game until tonight.

Though, I don't think you have to find skulls in the Meta-Game. I think they're just like Halo 2...only you can turn the effect on and off right before a Meta-Game starts.

I'm looking forward to using the skulls that make enemies dodge faster and make their armor even more resistant.

Wow, pretty confusing. Unfortunately my input probably won't clear a whole lot of this up. :)

While working on my Marathon Man achievement I played through 3 Meta-game levels yesterday. I was playing by myself BUT I had the Scoring set to Team and got the achievements. So, technically I was playing Solo but the scoring was set to Team. Just figured I'd mention that since people were indicating that the Achievement unlocks only in Solo Scoring.

Some of the achievements may be glitched slightly as well. For example, I played through the Heroic campaign with my wife and got all the skull achievements together except for Catch. For some reason it triggered for me but not for her. SHE was the one the picked up the skull too. Odd.

And to respond to Phrozan, the Skulls can be grabbed in both "regular" campaign and Meta-game (scoring turned on) campaign.

I think what people are confused about, is that in team scoring, the total will be something like 22,000... but that is because player 1 has 10k, player 2 has 8k and player 3 has 4k... your individual score still has to be over 15k for the achievement. Team scoring is just for friends to get the highest total together, whereas individual in co-op you'll try to steal kills and get all the points yourself.

WAIT!!!

That dudes wife likes to play video games??? Lucky bastard... I can't get a moment alone to play when my girlfriend is home.

Anyways, so play through on a hard difficulty, use skulls, and do style kills and the such for the required points right? Is there any other special things anyone might suggest for each seperate level, or is i just use this through the whole game, and you should be fine? Thanks.

Hahaha! :) Yeah, my wife likes to play video games. She's not the achievement whore that I am, but she loves "pwnin' bitches online" (her words, not mine). She's been playing Halo 2 and Gears for awhile now, and most recently Halo 3. We're going for Legendary tonight. We'll see how that works out.

What I'm -hoping- to be able to do is knock out Legendary and the Meta-games in this play through. Still crossing my fingers that the "Team Scoring" if over the points requirements unlocks the achievement, but if what The Pants Party is saying is true, (despite Team Score being on, you personally still have to score over 15,000 to get the achievement), I'll have to kick in more Skulls.

With Legendary (4x), and the "easier" skulls like Catch (1.5x) Fog (1.5x), Thunderstorm (1.5x), and Mythic (2x) I'm thinking we might be ok either way. Screw Blind, Iron, Famine, and Tilt. I tried using those... Not good. Not good at all. ;) And although funny, Grunt Birthday Party (along with the other Silvers I guess) doesn't add to the multiplier.

Ok, so Team scoring doesn't infact work for the achievement, so may I ask, WTF was the point in putting it in? seems stupid to put team scoring in when team scoring doesn't count for the achievement and it doesn't actually add to anything.

the reason I'm pissed is because I played 3 levels on legendary so far which took a good few hours with each 1 being over the required amount and still no achievement, I don't feel like doing them all again.

can you play a meta game single player?

Not sure but it will be more difficult in my opionion. If you die you will have to restart from checkpoint and you will lose your points. me and a buddy did first level on legendary and He did all the killing and I basically stayed back as the spawn teamate and was calling out enemies he scored 19k and then I started killing and I got 11K

Team scoring mode works just fine, but your individual score needs to still be 15k or more for the achievement.

Yeah, TPP is dead on here. IF you still meet the individual score requirements while playing with Team Scoring turned on you will unlock the achievement. I played 3 Meta-games on Legendary last night and was able to break the point requirement three times and got the achievements with Team Scoring on, the other 3 people in my party did not get the achievement.

Unless I'm missing something I really don't see why this Team Scoring feature was included. There doesn't seem to be much benefit to playing with this setting versus the Free For All Scoring. In fact it is kind of a mystery as to whether or not you met the points requirements (individually) until you complete the level. From now on I think I'll set it up for Free For All so that everyone will know where they stand points wise and can "share the kills" a little more evenly. There were a couple matches where more than one person could have gotten the achievement had we "shared" the kills. Without knowing this, I ran hot and heavy till the end everytime and more than cleared the requirements several times. With Free For All you can share the wealth a little more. Shrug.

ok i get that in co-op you have to individually get 15,000 points for the achievement. not difficult to understand, but what if you get 15,000 and your friend only gets 12,000 YOU will still get the achievement but your friend will not. Correct?

Yes you are correct the person that scores 15,000 gets the achievement but not until the end of the level so you have to finish it.

Yup. It doesn't kick in when you exceed the point requirements, it unlocks when it shows the score overview screen. I'm assuming this is to account for people dieing and losing points toward the end of the level and dropping back beneath the points requirements.

As far as what's easier--I actually think it is by far easier to get these achievements in single player rather than co-op. In single player, you and only you are getting the points. In co-op everyone is fighting for them. You actually have to kick-in more skulls while playing co-op than you would have had to kick-in while playing single player to compensate for this. The enemies don't scale with more players, so the same amount of enemies, divided amongst more players, means less overall points for you. Of course, more skulls means more multipliers and this may not matter but... more skulls means a little more difficulty too. More difficulty means more death and negative points so, tough to find that balance.

I jsut played through The Ark on score mode witha firend, we ended up getting 40k+ each with Team Scoring on, but we didnt get the achievement. On teh first level we got it no problems on Team Scoring.

Guess we'll play FFA from now on :/

I hate to say it but you weren't supposed to get an achievement. You need to score 50,000 to break the point limit on that level.

I did co-op on legendary with 3 friends. This is what I gathered while playing the second mission:

Death: -100

Team Death: -500

Headshot: Varied - I got 100 most of the time, but some friends go up to 200.

Kill: 60-80

Times (minutes)

More than 20: x3

More than 20 less than 30: x2.5

More than 30 and unknown: x2

I've tried a couple of different combinations and the "best" combination that I have so far is this:

Legendary for a 4x bonus

Catch for a 1.5x bonus

Fog for a 1.5x bonus

Thunderstorm for a 1.5x bonus

Mythic for a 1.5x bonus

Cowbell for larger explosions

and Grunt Birthday Party to make easy work of the Grunts.

In total this increases your point scores to 10x for everthing that you kill.

It sounds crazy but bear with me for a minute. Legendary is tough, ok, we all get that. Realistically, you are plasma comboing most of the big guys anyway. With that in mind--Thunderstorm and Mythic don't really make the game all that much harder. A plasma combo drops a Field Promoted Brute with 200% health just as easily as it drops a lowly grunt on Easy.

Catch send more grenades downstream, but whether they toss 1 or 2 at this difficulty is almost irrelevant. You are going to take damage on this difficulty and you will probably die quite a bit. The grunts will make it rain grenades. Drop them quickly with the GBP skull turned on and know when to get the heck outta Dodge.

Fog disables your radar. I for one use my radar in multiplayer but very rarely in campaign. On Legendary your "run and gun--whoops is that someone behind me" gameplay simply isn't going to work anyway so having a radar isn't going to help you as much as you think. You are going to be painfully aware of all enemies with your radar turned on or not.

Although Cowbell and GBP don't help your multiplier, they seem to tone down the difficulty. So, overall, with the previous list of skulls, the game will be challenging but doable and you along with one or two others in your party should be able to easily hit the Meta-game point requirements if they manage to keep their deaths down.

I've tried playing with some of the other skulls turned on and man, it's tough. Restarting from the beginning of the level, and never having enough ammo can really make it hard to do. The skulls I listed make it more challenging if you don't plasma combo but, realistically, you'll spend a lot of time searching for ammo at this difficulty if you don't. Seriously though, if you are playing solo, you don't even need half of these skulls turned on. Once you start fighting for points in co-op however, every point counts. ;)

Difficulty multipliers:

Easy: 0.25x

Normal: 1x

Heroic: 2x

Legend: 4x

Multipliers(for the kill)

Grenade stick: 1.25x

Headshot: 1.25x

stealth kill: 1.25x

Road-kill: 1.25x

Multi-kill: 1.25x

Needler superdetonation: 1.25x

EMP: 1.25x

Skull Multipliers:

iron: 3x

black eye: 1.5x

tough luck: 1.5x

catch: 1.5x

fog: 1.5x

famine: 2x

thunderstorm: 1.5x

tilt: 2x

mythic: 2x

Time bonus:

0-15min (3x)

15-20min (2.5x)

20-25min (2x)

25-30min (1.5x)

they are on this site http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/halo3.aspx i typed them up for easy copy and paste action because the site is in silverlight.

thanks cool and all but how much is taken away if you die?