Avoid This Game

Oinkness

Hi

I have gamefly and I usually visit a games' forum and do a little write-up if the game is horrible. I'm just going to share a short list this time, though.

Pros:

- Interesting characters

- Environments are convincing

- Good soundtrack

Cons:

- Dated graphics

- Repetitive, uninspired gameplay

- Unbalanced combat

- Lack of creativity (unoriginal game)

- Bad checkpoint / saving system

- Extremely clunky controls

- Engine lag (you will often walk off every platform you try to jump from due to the engine's latency)

- Broken dodge / block system

- You have to load a game to refill your health

My score: 3/10

The game is almost unplayable. It's plagued with issues, is not fun, and seems like an unfinished product. Try it or buy it at your own risk, not recommended.

Edited by Oinkness

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol this game is definitely playable... I don't know exactly what you're talking about "falling off the platforms" but I have yet to have that problem and I am half way through the game. Granted you are correct in the sense of repetitive gameplay and a lack of originality but c'mon a 4, hah what about Dante's Inferno... haven't played it yet but have heard some pretty bad things about that game. This is your opinion so that's fine and all but if you like action games you will enjoy this game.

I know what he's talking about as far as falling of the platforms. One minor death and the knowledge that hey, you need to jump a little earlier but it isn't necessarily game breaking.

Honestly I didn't really think there was anything wrong with the save system, check points came at appropriate times as I can remember and it was a simple matter of opening the menu to save wherever you were at. *shrug*

Honestly I hate when people claim repetitiveness on games, when it all boils down to it every single game is repetitive. Biggest repetitive thing was the golem mini-boss in the black throne.

But I guess to each their own, though I do think a 4 might be a little harsh on it.

lol this game is definitely playable... I don't know exactly what you're talking about "falling off the platforms" but I have yet to have that problem and I am half way through the game. Granted you are correct in the sense of repetitive gameplay and a lack of originality but c'mon a 4, hah what about Dante's Inferno... haven't played it yet but have heard some pretty bad things about that game. This is your opinion so that's fine and all but if you like action games you will enjoy this game.

Dante's Inferno was so good, I played through it twice. It blows this game out of the water. It makes Darksiders look (and feel) like an indie game in comparison. This game repetitive, predictable, hair-pullingly annoying. It gives you no motivation whatsoever to continue playing after defeating 2 of the chosen, let alone all 4 of them, and then more. I quit after Silitha and seeing what crap the black tower was. Horrible game. -_-

I'll go as far as to say I want my money back, and I didn't even buy it.

I thought the game was pretty good. I know what you're talking about about when u say falling off platforms lol. I liked the graphics, voice acting, etc.. I just didn't like some of the most complex puzzels near the end of the game. The puzzles are time consuming near the end, and when u get a new abilitty or item in the game, they make u use the shit out of it throughout the entire level. I also didn't like the story line. It was sort of weak to me and didn't make much sense but other than that, the game was good.

9/10

It's kind if annoying to hear people say "It's a issue and a bug because you have to jump a tad earlier from a platform" That's really not an bug or issue. It's the programmers idéa of how it should work. It's like complaining that you have to duck to jump onto boxes in Half Life.

I've really enjoyed this game and i've played it trough two times now. And i'm a game rewiver myself (You can read of some of my work at http://www.sc-gaming.com/ )

Anyway, i went into this game with no expectations. And after my first playtrough i had a few minor complaints but now after my second one i can't say i remember any of them.

Makeing a game today that's completely new thinking is close to impossible. We've done all the diffrent game styles alredy. I'd say, we all just have to get comfterabel of ripoff games (Not that we have disscussed that too far in this thread but i just caught myself sort of rewiveing this game... Oh well ) If you ask me you should not compare this game to Dantes Inferno or God of War that most people compare Dantes Inferno with.

Darksiders is a Zelda game for us 18+

I've always loved Zelda but it's starting to get a little childish. Twilight Princess did a good attempt in stepping it up but it never reached my goals, good game tough.

And c'mon guys! Have we gamers gone soft? Too hard Puzzels? So what?! I enjoyed them all. And none of them where too hard, annoying yes but not hard. Back in my days we had 8 bit graphics, controllers that moves me left or right and everything tried too kill me while all i could do was jump! I mean even birds and leafs tried to kill me! Now that's a hard game!

What i do agree on is that the combat is a little weak, it's fun too look at for a start but you will soon end up useing the same attacks all over because there hardly are any. I ended up useing the air combos the most while trying to mix it up with your two other wepons.

And Strikken101. Play the game again and really focus on the story. You really wont get all of it until the end and that's how it should be, it's hard to follow but that doesn't make it a weak story if you ask me. I liked it, it's a really typical Marvel story, maybe not that surprising since alot of the Marvel guys where involved in makeing this game. And these will be a Darksiders 2, might help you get a better grip of the story.

All in all i'd give darksiders 7/10 to be a little unfair against it. ;)

Brought It

Loved It

You're Wrong

Have you never played Zelda? Jeez, the youth of these days.

"I want something thats OMG MEGA LOLZZ AMAZING!!1! I want loads of guns and no story line. Good damn these puzzles are a waste of my time why cant they just add a straight corridor to the boss!. OMG theres no MP and these chieve's suck!"

Thats all I hear/see when people put up threads like this. Your vision is so clouded by the mind numbing shit that gets produced that you cant see a decent game when it slapped across your face!

I'm just waiting for "O and also, Bioshock 2 is shit.. You might as well as Boyanetta to that list to as its the same genre as Darksiders!"

/facepalm

Edited by Nozza

Dante's Inferno was so good, I played through it twice. It blows this game out of the water. It makes Darksiders look (and feel) like an indie game in comparison.

Wow, I have to say my opinion is exactly opposite of this, Darksiders is excellent, but Dante's Inferno is dull, infuriating and has learned NOTHING from the mistakes made by games like God of War.

This game repetitive, predictable, hair-pullingly annoying.

And that's my exact opinion of Dante's Inferno. :p

I personally think Darksiders was (and is) an excellent game, there's a few issues with it, such as the jump thing mentioned and the dodge system sometimes doesn't respond too well. But that's nothing compared to my list of complaints with Dante's.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Darksiders was actually such a good game and i loved the storyline and gameplay. i didnt find anything which i disliked about it although i didnt like dantes inferno either it just didnt seem fun

the puzzles were actually so good in it and it reminded me of zelda which made it even better. also loved the comic you get with the preorder

I do not normally feel the need to make comments in threads like this, BUT on this occasion I am absolutely gobsmacked over the original post.

This was a brilliant game. Nozza X360a made some very pertinent comments as well as a number of others regarding the positive elements of this game and it being similar in nature to Zelda.

For what it is worth - my opinion - ace game - definitely worth buying.

One final comment in relation to the orginal poster's "You have to load a game to refill your health" - how about you just get better at the game so you do not lose all your health OR just accept having to restart from the last checkpoint if you die? Perseverance is a wonderful thing.

Hi

I have gamefly and I usually visit a games' forum and do a little write-up if the game is horrible. I'm just going to share a short list this time, though.

Pros:

- Interesting characters

- Good soundtrack

Cons:

- Dated graphics

- Unbalanced combat

- Engine lag (you will often walk off every platform you try to jump from due to the engine's latency)

The game is almost unplayable. It's plagued with issues, is not fun, and seems like an unfinished product. Try it or buy it at your own risk, not recommended.

This has to be one of the worst reviews I have ever read on the site. You clearly have very little experience playing games, or a background of gaming across other consoles. Either that, or you're just down right lying.

Lets look at your 'Cons', which really are cons, if you convince anyone they are true.

Dated Graphics

The graphics were done by an actual graphic artist (http://www.joemadfan.com/) and while the art style was big, the graphics were in no way 'dated'. All of the environments were detailed, unique, and most importantly, were non-repetitive. The only negative I noticed was during the Broken Stairs level where some of the buildings looked warped, instead of broken, and lacked some detail.

The animations were top class. They were fluid, fit the context, and were disparate (different) across enemies with regards to finishing moves. The game was very brutal, with severed arms, legs, and decapitations a plenty. Blood gushed crazily and was animated well. Definitely nothing 'dated' in the graphics or animations department.

Repetitive, uninspired gameplay

Repetitive? In the sense that you are killing things, maybe, but not in the sense of the overall progression. The puzzle solving is different for each major level. The levels are all unique, and non-repetitive. In addition there are 3 main weapons (4 if you count the last sword), and 6 different secondary weapons, though these are used more for puzzle solving than fighting, as well as 4 Combat moves, not to mention the Chaos Form, the swimming, and the flying eagle combat.

As for 'uninspired', the game draws on aspects of Legend of Zelda, God of War, Portal, and Soul Reaver, a pretty darn good class of games to emulate.

Unbalanced Combat

Clearly, you never learned to play the game. The game provides way to stun enemies with the Horn and the Boomerang, a Dash button to avoid hits (RB), and various ways to damage from a distant (Gun, Gauntlet, and Reaver, each with varying distance attack). As for 'unbalanced', it definitely is not. You simply have to learn how to avoid each enemies attack, and how best to attack it. This approach to combat makes it less repetitive.

Lack of Creativity (unoriginal game)

Really? How many other 4 Horsemen games have you played? I haven't played any that I can think of. The storyline is very unique, it's told well, and has a great ending. The game plays like Legend of Zelda, with Soul Reaver story telling, and God of War blood/gore. It's a great combination.

Bad checkpoint / saving system

Yet more proof that you simply didn't play the game. The game sports a 'save anytime' capability. That's right, you can save at any point in the game. That's about as good as it gets from an in game save implementation.

Extremely Clunky Controls

Clunky? How so? They were mapped extremely well, and they were very tight. A is used to jump, X for primary weapons, Y for secondary weapons, B for action / to grab, LB for Combat Actions, RB to Dash, LT to target an single enemy, and RT to shoot (gun, other secondary weapons). They were all uber responsive. Again, sounds like you never learned to play the game.

Engine Lag (you will often walk off every platform you try to jump from due to the engine's latency)

Wow, this is definite proof that you didn't learn to play the game. While I fell off a few areas, it wasn't from jumping. It was usually when fighting. If you couldn't 'jump' properly, than that's a skill issue on your part, not a deficiency in the game. I had no problem platforming in the game.

Broken Dodge / Block System

Again, your lack of knowledge of the game, and or skill is apparent. You could see every attack coming, and dodge out of the way via RB. In what way is this 'broken'? As to the Block, not everything can be blocked. You have to learn what can, and cannot be blocked. Some attacks can't be blocked, others have to be timed blocks, and still others can't be blocked at all. It's up to you to learn which approach works with each enemy type. It wasn't all that hard to learn. Typically one encounter was enough to know how to fight each enemy.

You have to load a game to refill your health

I played on Apocalyptic level and never once had to load a game to refill my health. When you get low on health, the creatures automatically give you green souls for more health. When you die, it takes you back to the last checkpoint and gives you a 3.5 soul bar health. Makes it pretty easy to survive anything, especially with the Stone Skin Combat Action. Once you get the Abyssal Armor, then it's a cake walk.

Summary

It's clear that you don't know what you're talking about with your review. That you didn't even learn to play the game, which my 10 year old nephew could figure out in a single game session. Worse, you posted your 'review' as fact based on this limited knowledge. DarkSiders is a great game. Incorprating the gameplay aspects of Zelda & Portal, the gore of God of War, and the story telling / voice overs of SoulReaver. I'm not a FPS / shooter gamer, and story is one of my top requirements for a good game. DarkSiders is personally one of my top 5 games on the XBox 360 and one of the few games that I believe deserves a buy.

Pros:

- Interesting characters

- Good soundtrack

Cons:

- Dated graphics

- Unbalanced combat

Dante's Inferno was so good, I played through it twice. It blows this game out of the water. It makes Darksiders look (and feel) like an indie game in comparison. This game repetitive, predictable, hair-pullingly annoying. It gives you no motivation whatsoever to continue playing after defeating 2 of the chosen, let alone all 4 of them, and then more. I quit after Silitha and seeing what crap the black tower was. Horrible game. -_-

I'll go as far as to say I want my money back, and I didn't even buy it.

if you reverse the 2 games and alter you review to:

- (extremely un)Interesting characters

- Environments are (utterly un)convincing (and totally lack variety)

- Good soundtrack (compared to dante's abysmal voice acting)

Cons:

- Dated graphics

- Unbalanced combat

- Don't get me started on more cons, all above is enough

My score: 1/10 (for trying, -9/10 for execution)

then i couldn't agree with you more.

you have no right to say darksider's checkpoint system is bad if you played dante's inferno.

dante's inferno isn't just dante's hell, it was my own personal gaming hell and i'm 100% sure i'm happier to have escaped hell than dante.

/rant

Relax a little, it's just his opinion. To be fair, there was a bit of engine slow downs. If you don't believe me go to the giant fan that you have to activate inbetween levels (forget what ones). Trying to jump between them, the game literally slowed down. I didn't fall because I was standing still. Not to mention I got stuck in a door, the game froze while saving, and I fell through the world randomly.

Anyways, it really is a good game. I enjoyed it and i think it's more along the lines of 7-8 out of 10. Awesome ending and I will be buying the second one!

Also if you regret your buy, don't worry! They have a code to get Red Faction free :)

Hi

Pros:

- Interesting characters

- Good soundtrack

Cons:

- Dated graphics

- Unbalanced combat

- Dated Graphics - Really? So what exactly are you expecting? Considering you're playing Rock Band 2, which has WORSE graphics than this game, you can't particularly comment. Not every game is designed to have outstanding graphics, especially not adventure hack n' slash's like this. Go play Devil May Cry 4, Assassin's Creed 2, and many of those games. None of them have top of the ladder graphics, either.

- Repetitive, Uninspired Gameplay - I'd be interested to see why you think this. Again, you're playing music games, which, by and large, are the same thing constantly. I don't know of many games that are COMPLETELY different every corner you turn.

- Unbalanced Combat - I'm sorry, in what way exactly? You are a Horseman of the Apocolypse. You're supposed to kick ass, I hope you're aware of that.

- Lack of creativity - Again, going back to what I just said, you're a Horseman of the Apocolypse... Personally, I haven't played another game with that. Seeing as you're playing Dante's Inferno which is an evident rip-off of so many other games currently out there, how can you say it lacks creativity?

- Bad Checkpoint / Saving System - Really? Because, when I first started playing this game, as soon as it was released, there was a massive glitch which caused the game to freeze FAR too frequently. I know I, amongst many others here on the Forum, were eternally grateful for how regularly this game checkpoints.

- Extremely Clunky Controls - Again, not sure what you're getting at here. Every button has it's purpose, there's no such thing as "Clunky controls", and it's one of the most ridiculous reasonings I've ever heard.

- Engine lag - My goodness, maybe that's your 360, not the disc. Also, for the record, I've played Darksiders on about 5 different Xboxes, it never lagged once.

- Broken Dodge / Block system - I'll give you that one; Dodge was fine, block could've used some work, as could countering.

- You have to load the game to refill your health - No, you have to find little green health orbs to restore your health, not restart the game... *Shakes head*.

~~~~~~~~

It almost seems to me like you're nit-picking a little bit. Making mountains out of molehills, if you will. I think maybe you've been playing these "out of this world" games for too long, and have yet to wake up to the realisation that not every game is Fallout 3, or Mass Effect, or Modern Warfare 2. Just because a game isn't superior and hyped up, doesn't mean it doesn't excel in it's own special ways.

~ Fin.

EDIT - For the record, one of the best games I've played in recent months, don't listen to the OP, don't "Buy it at your own risk", as the guy a few posts above me said, for most people who buy this, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by Fully Avenged