No Punctuation - Pain in the a**

moontsuki

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven't done it, only tried a few times, last time I got pushed off the bridge.

For the barrel part I found it quite easy, I didn't even make the barrels roll. If you walk pretty much straight forward there is a short cliff, just on the left is a tree, if you fall down next to the tree you won't die. There will then be a lot of Taken, just pop a flair and run to the fallen tree and walk up there. It's quite easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I really can't understand how people had hard times with the combat in this DLC. I was nervous about the platform sections cause it can be awkward at times, but I did No Punctuation on my first attempt (not counting my first playthrough to get the rest of the achievements). You get 20 flares like 1/5 of the way into this episode. There's no reason to be overwhelmed by enemies at any point. You have a ton of flares for protection. My No Punctuation playthrough I used 10 flares at the final fight because I didn't want to risk dying, and I still finished the episode with 2 flares to spare.

I think the majority of the people do fine with the combat, but die a lot at the Tornado or spinning wheel. I died about 5 times at the tornado just figuring out how the jumps work. I also died about 5 times at the first spinning house before the tornado, just figuring out how the timing goes.

The issue I have with this achievement is that it is nothing like the rest of the game. It's an exercise in platforming and physics more than anything else, and Alan Wake is NOT that kind of game. It just doesn't mesh. It would be like the Ninja Gaiden 2 DLC featuring a castle upgrade achievement or social interaction achievement. It just doesn't fit. It's not impossible, it's just silly and stupid given the context of the game.

However, I will say that I seriously doubt anyone who takes their time, is meticulous and careful, and thinks about what they were doing will die more than a couple of times on this DLC.... excluding the jumps. That to me is a poorly designed achievement.

I died on my first three attempts because I had seen the Night Springs video game collectible guide before I attempted No Punctuation, and I kept trying to climb out of, on, and around the outside (roof, etc.) of the cabin. Suddenly, I had a "duh!" moment, and stayed inside until the cabin had completely spun around and it was safe to exit and land on the next path. Also, beware of the tornado taking the wooden part of the next path out from under your feet. It happens almost immediately after you exit the cabin, and if you are in mid-sprint, you will die! Other than these stupid mistakes, it is an easy 50GS. I hope this helps someone who needs a "duh!" kind of moment like I did, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

the only time i die is when alan turns and walks off the edge of something this is a joke and once again in the need to add hours of play time to something that wasn't worth the price in the first place ruins the entire game. i made it through nightmare mode and die maybe twice because i hurried, its not like im missing the jump he just turns and falls. may as well add some bs multiplayer mode.

Sorry, but "No Punctuation" on Normal should be no problem, when you've beaten the main game on Nightmare and I'm not even close to a "pro" or "hardcore" gamer...

I did this on my second real try and it's important that you just have to concentrate only on this achievement. Do everything else on a seperate run.

It's much easier than the "Signal"-Achievo, because when fighting Takens you have much more space to move and there are no such crapy passages like the "Monster Trucks" or the flying books and so one....

The Tornado section is, if you take your time, quite easy... don't hurry, stay calm, kill the taken on the first path, and that's it.

Like I already said: Did it on my second try, because on the first try I felt off the bridge, was my own stupid fault.

• 4 weeks later...

This achievement should pose no threat. It was cake I had 14 flares left over I used spareingly but still. It was by far much easier then the first DLC. Awsome game and DLC though. Member just drop a flare when in danger otherwise back track and take the guys out cake. Go slow on ur jumps the humping parts ofr me posed no threat just let everything get as close to the rocks and paths as u can and start a lil back so he do's a short run into the jump

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This achievement doesn't seem too hard but i'm still messing up . I keep dying in that rotating cabin thing (the large big-wheel one after the tornado). I keep going through the doors at the wrong time and falling too far down to my death. This is the only achievement i need for the full 1500G so I don't care if it takes me 200 attempts, i will get it eventually :eek:

Edit: Ok, on my next attempt i did it. It's really quite straightforward, just a few of the jumps can be a little scary but my advice is to just take your time with your jumps.

Edited by chrisk62

• 4 weeks later...

Took me three tries. Not even once I fell off the cliff.

First time got killed on the bridge, second time I was one Barry short of achievement. 3rd time finished w/o problems.

For those who can't get through this, just take it real slow in areas where you can fall off the cliffs and now the places where you can run to safe haven.

Save some extra flares for final battle, they will come in handy.

• 1 month later...

I completed it on my second try. I'd say it was more difficult than the first DLC, but not really all that difficult. You just have to make sure to take your time during some sections.

-During the first battle, just light all of the fireworks and they should stay on during the entire battle. All of the enemies should be one-two shots with the shotgun (you really have no need not to use the shotguns, as there aren't that many enemies).

-The tornado section can be tricky. Try to jump on the largest platforms to give yourself the best chance. Don't jump off until you know you're going to make it. Kill the one big taken after the checkpoint and you shouldn't feel rushed.

-The rotating wheel was tricky for me at first, but now it's REALLY easy. Do not go through the next door until it looks like a normal doorway that you can walk through. You won't die from falling damage this way. You will feel a little impatient because it doesn't rotate as fast as you'd expect, but trust me, this works a lot easier than risking the falling damage.

-The sewer area (right after you can pick up the 20 flares) can be tricky as they come from all of your sides. What I did was light a flare when the first enemy almost hit me and then I ran for the checkpoint. None of the enemies chase you then.

-The part with the barrels that drop (after you light up the words) isn't too difficult if you only light up the words when the enemies are there. It's best to be patient and kill all of the enemies because it's an uneven hill and it's difficult to maneuver around if you are trying to run to the next checkpoint.

-The part with all of the "clear" words is probably the most difficult. The main key here is to not be stingy with your flares. There is only the final battle after this (and you can make it through easily with 6-7 flares), so you should be constantly using your flares (or as much as you can to ensure you have 6-7 for the final fight) and lighting the "clear" and just running ahead. Don't focus too much on trying to shoot any enemies, because there are really too many for you to kill safely. Flares, flares, flares. That's the only tip.

-The final fight, I never had any difficulty with. Use a rifle (2 shots per enemy when they have no more darkness on them). They don't seem to run around as much as the fast taken did on the regular game. Drop a flare when they get close and shine your light on them. It should take the darkness off pretty fast. You may have difficult with the Anderson brothers, but it works better if you focus on one enemy at a time, just so you get him out of the way.

It doesn't hurt for you to go ahead and go to the "special area" with the giant typewriter, if only to get the flare gun and a couple other supplies. I didn't really need to use them, but it's there as a bodyguard.

Other than that, I can't help you. Just remember to be patient during the platforming parts and to be quick and flare-heavy during the other parts. Good luck.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

So sick of the piss poor controls in this game. Why does he move like he's on roller blades?

Just fell off yet another platform.

I died trying to do the whirlwind achievement last night, died but got the achievement. So rather than quit I thought I'd practice and get used to enemy spawns etc. I have no problems with the enemy. Its the Super Mario platforming thats f**king me over due to slidy feet.

Why the f**k did I buy a game where the lead character is called, Alan. And he's a cock. Has to be one of the worst protagonists I've seen in a game.