Possible fix for getting the Falkreath plot

Tehlamah

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk what's goin on but it's frustrating :-( just wanna buy my land an continue on in the game.

Well I have killed Helvard for the DB, completed all of the rarity gifts line except for the Jarls of course. Haven't turned in the quest after killing the bride, but have the letter an quest to meet the Jarl. Idk what's up but I almost think maybe it's how you kill his housecarl perhaps?maybe even if someone witnesses you he becomes angry with you. I just wish I could figure out some way to start the quest line for the land without having to reload a far earlier save just to get the land :-(

just said to hell with it, reloaded a save from a while ago. Too many uncertain variables to sort em out so.

Edited by rickblood220

.....Idk what's up but I almost think maybe it's how you kill his housecarl perhaps?maybe even if someone witnesses you he becomes angry with you......

Good idea but makes no difference. I only continue on these quests if I do them the proper way and I still have 2 games both with Halverd dead and one can buy Falkreath land and one can't. Neither would have had the DB quest witnessed.

• 4 weeks later...

this sucks...i killedthe bandit leader and nothing. Every now and then he gives a kill the dragon/giant buy no option to buy. I talked to everyone in town and did what few quests they gave, and finished all the quests on my list. All that's left is, wrapping up 10 glitches quests the game won't let me finish, 1 of which is a fetch quest for someone who disappears depending who you side with in the war

• 2 weeks later...
this sucks...i killedthe bandit leader and nothing. Every now and then he gives a kill the dragon/giant buy no option to buy. I talked to everyone in town and did what few quests they gave, and finished all the quests on my list. All that's left is, wrapping up 10 glitches quests the game won't let me finish, 1 of which is a fetch quest for someone who disappears depending who you side with in the war

Can't recall if it's the jarl who offers you the land or the steward but try whoever's the current steward as well if you haven't already. I believe the thane allows it without you knowing and the steward has the buy dialogue.

Hope that helps.

Edited by buggss

Hehe....

Nope. I have one character that has exactly those conditions and can't buy Falkreath. I also have another character who satisfies all those conditions that CAN buy Falkreath.

The main differences between the 2 are:

Can't buy-

• Finished alduin and imperial quests
  • Killed Half-moon mill male AND female vampires during DB mission
  • Part-way through Dawnstar
  • Have an uncompletable radiant bounty quest for Skald who won't accept the hand-in and can't make that quests an active quest.

Can buy-

• Haven't finished alduin quests
  • Haven't started imperial quests
  • Haven't started Dawnstar
  • Has an active rare item quest, (said to block the land purchase) the amulet of arkay for thorbold (sp?)
  • Only killed the male vampire at Half-moon mill in DB mission

P.S. Sorry for my English, I'm English! :D

Wait, I finished the Imperial side of the Civil War, slew Alduin, and completed the Dark Brotherhood quests. Why was I able to buy the plot of land?

• 1 month later...
I had the quest to give Ysolda the mammoth tusk in my quest log. Once that was completed I was able to get quests from the Jarl.

But that is one of the many glitched quests stuck ing my misc quests that just won't complete. Does that mean I'm screwed for getting the Falkreath plot?

Necro'd thread, don't mind the smell.. :D

Wait, I finished the Imperial side of the Civil War, slew Alduin, and completed the Dark Brotherhood quests. Why was I able to buy the plot of land?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my conditions are absolute, they're just the conditions I have. However I make a point of mentioning them whenever someone else states that a certain quest or action either prevents or guarantees a certain result as if I can get a setup that doesn't follow theirs then someone else can too.

Hope that made sense. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Me like many others didnt get any options to buy or talk to the jarl/steward. But after reading around i found out that there are a couple of quest that blocks you from getting any new conversation with them.

If you have any of the following in your quest list, make sure you complete them and talk to the jarl/steward again. Atleast it worked for me :)

Getting the book The Mirror for captain Aldis in Solitude

Getting a Mammoth Tusk for Ysolda in Whiterun

Getting the book Song of the Alchemists for Lami in Morthal

Getting the book Night falls on Sentinel for Rustleif in Dawnstar

Getting an Amulet of Arkay for Torbjorn Shatter-Shield in Windhelm

Thanks it worked

I only have two glitched quests, Repair the Phail and collect bounty from Skald. I figure its the misc. bounty quest. I'm sure they could fix it by some 'cancelling' mod for the consoles if they wanted just as they fixed the unfixable companion glitches in Fallout New Vegas, but I guess they are just too busy making the upcoming MMOs that the console won't even see the light of day of:(

• 2 weeks later...

Going to just make a new character for this DLC. My level 81 for whatever reason can't do anything in Falkreath. I got the courier message, was told to help people in Falkreath and was already at 1/3 (assuming because of the Daedric quest).

After that, I went outside and did the deliver the ashes quest for Runil... and the counter was still at 1/3. Looked for the farmers to sell veggies to and they were both dead on the ground (no I didn't kill them, guessing the committed suicide after their daughter died or something).

Figure it won't be too bad to make a new character just for Hearthfire. Can crank levels via speech and smithing in the beginning to just dump points in Mercantile. Shame though, would have liked to do all the game on one character.

Going to just make a new character for this DLC. My level 81 for whatever reason can't do anything in Falkreath. Figure it won't be too bad to make a new character just for Hearthfire. Can crank levels via speech and smithing in the beginning to just dump points in Mercantile. Shame though, would have liked to do all the game on one character.

Unfortunately thats the only way to get the achvmt, I had to do they same. It's the same with all TES and Fallouts, they are glitched to start and when they finally get round to 'patching' them it always only works for a new character but by then you have sunk several hundred hours into the game character and to have to start again is like an insult to the time you have already ploughed into an RPG. I never understood the people who rush the games but do several differant characters.

• 1 month later...
Absolutely amazing that this quest: Getting the book Night falls on Sentinel for Rustleif in Dawnstar; was keeping me from getting the Thane quests from the jarl in Falkreath.. how does that work?

One word:

"Radiant".

P.S. What works for some doesn't work for others and vice versa, there doesn't appear to be any one single fix or course of action that worts for everyone unfortunately.

• 1 month later...
I'm having the same issues as everyone here except I can't buy a plot of land in Dawnstar. I've done all the rarity quests the OP said to no avail. The jarl won't let me buy land.

Is it the consensus that you should finish all the jarl quests for every Jarl to get it to work?

Sorry you've not been answered, it looks like the game's going quiet lately.

The item quests didn't help with me either. In fact I've mentioned elsewhere I had 2-3 of those active (or not yet started) and still had no problem buying land and I've had every one of them completed and not been able to buy land so they're not related in my experience. The only thing that "seems" to appear everywhere is an issue handing in or completing some sort of radiant quest but because of the complexity of the system and the ways the various types of quests are connected it's nigh on impossible to work out exactly what's stopping you.

Also ignore any reference to Halvard's (sp?) killing during the DB quests having an effect. Again I've had instances where he's dead and I can buy land in Falkreath and instances where he's alive and I can't. I'm pretty sure that's just a pipe dream.

As I've said before, if you do manage to fix it let us know how :)

• 2 years later...