3. Present and Future Thoughts

So as of right now, I am going through a phase of what I believe to be insomnia. I just can't sleep until about 5-7am each night, and then sometimes having to get up with just a few hours of sleep. It is partly due to the weather, as it can get as cold as 30 degrees (-1 Celsius for you normal people) IN MY ROOM. Yes, that's not good. I'm currently wearing two pairs of fuzzy socks, a jacket, and a blanket just hanging out near my bed...sad face.

The other part of it is finding a job. I graduated from college in December and have been on the job hunt ever since. I put in 50 applications so far, and have been called for three interviews. The one I have gone to so far has been really well, but still...can't shake the nervousness.

The upside is, I have involuntarily had more time to game. I have been putting my backlog on the burner once again as I take part in the Staff v. Subs tournament this month. So far I have cranked out 12 completions across both rounds, making me the MVP so far along with Scotty :) I still have at least 4 completions for this round, and then I get ready for the final round if we stay in the lead and tie.

Along with that, we are currently experiencing 8-9 inches of snow and still going strong. Why is that a big deal? well in southeast VA, IT NEVER SNOWS! I can't believe how many places were shut down on my way home at 9pm tonight. Its either madness or ....Sparda!!!!

Alright, that's good for now. I've also been asked to talk about what the future holds for me as far as gaming, and I've also been asked to talk about my best/worst achievement experiences. Depending on what you guys want to hear, expect those soon :)

So as of right now, I am going through a phase of what I believe to be insomnia. I just can't sleep until about 5-7am each night, and then sometimes having to get up with just a few hours of sleep.

You're describing me right now, except it's more like 7-9am. Brutal. It's most likely just anxiety though, so don't worry too much about it (I try not to).

I think we all go through certain phases where sleep just eludes us. Lately, I fall asleep at around 1 every night and have to get up at 7 every school morning. I sleep in a few extra hours until around 10:00-11:00 on weekends. (Need my beauty sleep lol)

A suggestion for your sleeping issue, close all of your windows and doors. That will trap the heat in your room. If that doesn't work, try putting a thicker blanket over your comforter or wear snuggie. If all else fails, play Dark Souls with your feet.

You're describing me right now, except it's more like 7-9am. Brutal. It's most likely just anxiety though, so don't worry too much about it (I try not to).

Yeah I've heard that it is just a phase, and when I get a real job things will dim down a bit.

Damn Puppys.. Between the cold and not being able to sleep, it sounds like hell! (Well a very cold hell anyway ;)) Thank God for videogames then!

True that, It's already 3am here and I'm torn between starting FIFA 06 or watching a movie of sorts. I hate soccer so I'll be looking for a movie shortly most likely.

I think we all go through certain phases where sleep just eludes us. Lately, I fall asleep at around 1 every night and have to get up at 7 every school morning. I sleep in a few extra hours until around 10:00-11:00 on weekends. (Need my beauty sleep lol)

A suggestion for your sleeping issue, close all of your windows and doors. That will trap the heat in your room. If that doesn't work, try putting a thicker blanket over your comforter or wear snuggie. If all else fails, play Dark Souls with your feet.

6 hours of sleep isn't bad, Like I said, some days I get 6-8 and others 2-3. My windows and doors are all obviously shut, lol. I can't really bury myself while still being able to comfortably game. :p

You should invest in a radiator and one of those battery-heated jackets. I hear they help warm you up really well.

Good luck on your job hunt! You can thank the government for your difficulties!

That sounds really good, I need that jacket lol.

Your second quote reminded me of this. Thanks Obama -__-

ThanksObama.jpg

4. The Future of Gaming

Hello.

So I've had a really rough night. I ended up being the only person to show up to work out of 8 evening-night shift people, and I had to do everything by myself. Even after that they wanted me to stay and go on about a 12 hour shift, but I refused. That was only a taste of my night, as I popped in Fifa 06 (the easier Fifa 06 to complete, not that one with impossible challenges).

I just want to get it out of my system that I am starting to get pissed off when a roadmap says a completion time and I'm no where near it. So far this week, I have completed 6 arcade games and I've started working on Fifa, and only 2 have been somewhat close to the correct time. I am starting to get really bothered when a completion time says 2-5 hours and I have three achievements after 3 hours. An "estimated time to complete" should be the average Joe like me's time, not the guide writer's speed run of the f'ing achievements. Ugh.

So as far as Fifa is concerned, I know pretty little about soccer (or football, if your preference). I used to play it as a young kid, but since then haven't really paid it much attention. I had to siphon through the sports genre to see what I missed, and this was one of the only easy games I have left from the 2006 era...problem is, it isn't easy.

I spent 2 hours playing the game as somewhat practice before I scored my first goal, and even then I lost the game 2-1. I read every single thread about the game and posts that said "user x, you must suck ass, I completed it in 3 hours" made me even more mad. I finally got the hang of the controls and went on to advance about 8 games into the 16ish required for the cup victory.

And I get matched up against the second worst team. Good, right...? RIGHT? No, not good. I sat there for 45 minutes playing the team, dashboarding to not lose progress, playing the team, dashboarding when losing, etc. I must have played them 15 times, and I kept either losing 0-1, tying, or the one game I tied 1-1, which at this point I think there was steam coming from my ears. Unfortunately for me, when I get this mad, it quickly turns to upset, and I feel awful right now.

The Staff v. Subscribers tournament has been great to me, because it brought back that competitive spirit I still have from my old multiplayer days along with the respect for winning/losing. At the same time, I realize that I'm doing nothing but torturing myself and paying up to $25 dollars each just to complete a game. It's not okay, and it shouldn't be... I am blessed to have spending money, but it shouldn't be thrown around like I'm Bill Gates.

Which all in turn led me to sit here and think about my future gaming. For the last 7 years, all I have known is COD4, Gears, and Achievements...With the latter taking up the last 5 of those 7 years. In fact, it has been about a month since I played a multiplayer game with more than one person, and nearly a year since I've enjoyed a good session with my friends from school/work. They've all moved on to PS4 and play Battlefield/Ghosts now, and my best friend has also moved to PS4 spending his time on Killzone and AC IV.

So if you guys where wondering, that's what I will mostly be choosing for my next generation primarily until either the One has a price drop or releases Fallout 4/an equivalent game that will make me spend $500 just for it. After sitting there crying over a video game, I can see that it is time to stop buying games just for achievements, even if I got it to help out my fellow subs in the tournament. I could never tear myself away from the 360, but I may sit out the third round just to get my priorities straight. That is, if we make it to the third round anyway, I might just complete Fifa and send the rest of my games back before something else happens like tonight.

Kudos if you read the whole thing, I just needed to express my thoughts. Today was horrible and to put the cherry on the cake: It's 5:30am and no matter how much I want to sleep and forget about how shitty it was, I can't. :(

Edited by Puppys

At the same time, I realize that I'm doing nothing but torturing myself and paying up to $25 dollars each just to complete a game. It's not okay, and it shouldn't be... I am blessed to have spending money, but it shouldn't be thrown around like I'm Bill Gates.

And this is exactly why I refuse to contribute until a proper genre comes up where I already own the game.

Space snip

http://jamesliberty.com/EliteAdPartners.com/wp-admin/network/sad-troll-face-meme-i16.png

I'm sorry to hear that, Puppys...

Maybe it's time to stop racking up the score for the score's sake, and rack up the score for fun's sake... I only play games that I find fun, and it gives me less of a headache.

Not so stressful, you know?

I agree with you guys. I just figured if a game has a 3/10 difficulty and a 3-10 hour estimated time to complete, then I shouldn't have a problem throwing up the 1000G. My friends who don't have more than 10-25k gamerscore call me a professional at it because I can play any genre and still complete the game. I even played three Madden games before I even knew what a first down was and how many points a touchdown was worth. Guess soccer/football isn't my specialty.

I know what you mean with sports games. :( They should have two ratings, one for people who actually know the rules and have experience with the sport and one for people who know jack shit about it. It is so annoying and it happens to me countless times with madden and NHL games however i did find some of the earlier basketball games easier. Its not just with sports games either. I've got to the stage where i add on a couple of points to the difficulty and a few hours onto the time that is given in road maps. :(

So if you guys where wondering, that's what I will mostly be choosing for my next generation primarily until either the One has a price drop or releases Fallout 4/an equivalent game that will make me spend $500 just for it. After sitting there crying over a video game, I can see that it is time to stop buying games just for achievements, even if I got it to help out my fellow subs in the tournament. I could never tear myself away from the 360, but I may sit out the third round just to get my priorities straight. That is, if we make it to the third round anyway, I might just complete Fifa and send the rest of my games back before something else happens like tonight.

Kudos if you read the whole thing, I just needed to express my thoughts. Today was horrible and to put the cherry on the cake: It's 5:30am and no matter how much I want to sleep and forget about how shitty it was, I can't. :(

Good for you. I remember when I gave up on Hardcore achievement hunting. I was playing Space Chimps trying to get the time trials (another game with a roadmap that isn't accurate) and failing. I started screaming at the game and my daughter asked me "Why are you yelling at a kids game".....there I am 31 years old, yelling at Space Chimps. I sold all my backlog of "easy" games and just started playing for fun. My completion level sucks...but I don't really rage anymore. :)

Edited by KillerBEA

I know what you mean with sports games. :( They should have two ratings, one for people who actually know the rules and have experience with the sport and one for people who know jack shit about it. It is so annoying and it happens to me countless times with madden and NHL games however i did find some of the earlier basketball games easier. Its not just with sports games either. I've got to the stage where i add on a couple of points to the difficulty and a few hours onto the time that is given in road maps. :(

I know how to play soccer, and for the most part how a goalie kick is issued versus a corner kick, throw in, penalty shot etc. but I just can't get a grip on the game. it's frustrating.

Good for you. I remember when I gave up on Hardcore achievement hunting. I was playing Space Chimps trying to get the time trials (another game with a roadmap that isn't accurate) and failing. I started screaming at the game and my daughter asked me "Why are you yelling at a kids game".....there I am 31 years old, yelling at Space Chimps. I sold all my backlog of "easy" games and just started playing for fun. My completion level sucks...but I don't really rage anymore. :)

I haven't really bought any games that I didn't want to play until the tournament started. Only exception is a few games to get into some staff clubs (ie, avatar and Civilization Rev). but hopefully after the tournament it will just be fun games. I've really been considering Lost Odyssey. Its been a year since I've played a jrpg just about.

Gonna dish out another awesome name for this blog: "It's a Wuff Life".

I'm probably gonna start buying game's just for achievements to get to 50K bit that's kind of it. Plus I can complete them all in less than a week for a quick and easy completion and a full refund at GameStop! :dance:

But make sure they're quality completions, not NBA 2K6, Avatar, King Kong type of stuff!

I love your story and how you've progressed over the years in not only gamerscore but in life as well meeting new friends, keeping in touch with old friends and balancing it perfect it seems. Although I started my Xbox account around the same time as you I deffinately haven't put forth the dedication you have but now being out of highschool and part way through college I'm finding doing achievements more of a release after school or work the same. Thanks for more inspiration and the story :dance: