why is this game getting such bad reviews?

i was excited for this game to come out until i see reviews for it getting 3/10, 5/10…pretty negative scores.

i decided to pick it up the other day anyway, and i was pretty surprised; this game is not half as bad as the reviews make it out to be.

what i found was a solid third person shooter set in a very history-rich (video game-wise) environment, a decently strung together set of missions, and a surprisingly addictive multiplayer

sure, its a more action oriented take on resident evil, but reviews and fans acted as if they had been alienated by capcom and given the shittiest game ever. sure it has flaws (what game doesnt?), but this game is actually pretty decent, no masterpiece, but a solid game that is very fun to play, especially with friends.

crappy controls? its really the same controls as re4 and 5 just sped up a little more to go with the more action-oriented feel

broken cover mechanic? seriously guys? you run up to a piece of cover and automatically stick to it. its a great idea, and not once have i been running or been in the heat of some action and accidentally got stuck into cover (i do tend to take the game slowly, however)

retarded AI? im not really seeing this. they take cover, fire at enemies, heal me when im low on health, and rarely get downed. they are a vast improvement on sheva, and you can actually choose what 3 squadmates you want to come with you to tailer to your own playstyle (going in guns blazing? bring the medic!)

terrible graphics? really? they are on par with resident evil 5's graphics, and with a much more moody and engrossing level design and atmosphere

shit story? well im only about half way through, but the story does take back seat to the action. there is a story there however, and fans of re2 and 3 will probably appreciate it more.

these are just my 2 cents. i think the game is actually good and fun to play, contrary to the reviews and cries of "die hard" fans (the ones who hated re4, my 2nd favorite in the series, after re2). is anyone else actually enjoying the game and its rich atmosphere, or is everyone in the "its crap and not a real resident evil" bandwagon?

thoughts?

and a surprisingly addictive multiplayer

Not really...

crappy controls? its really the same controls as re4 and 5 just sped up a little more to go with the more action-oriented feel

No way, the controls in RE4 & RE5 are more comfortable IMO.The controls in RE ORC sucks cause it's too hectic all the time and therefore we need appropriate ones.

broken cover mechanic? seriously guys? you run up to a piece of cover and automatically stick to it. its a great idea, and not once have i been running or been in the heat of some action and accidentally got stuck into cover (i do tend to take the game slowly, however)

Until I took an arrow to my knee...Nahw really UNTIL YOU GET SHOT WHILE IN COVER, total crap.

retarded AI? im not really seeing this. they take cover, fire at enemies, heal me when im low on health, and rarely get downed. they are a vast improvement on sheva, and you can actually choose what 3 squadmates you want to come with you to tailer to your own playstyle (going in guns blazing? bring the medic!)

1. You can't command them.

2. They always running in your line of sight which sucks on higer diffculty. You can't properly shoot at enemies when they stand right in front of you.

3. They still items, pick them up before you and they use them for other things rather than to help you.

terrible graphics? really? they are on par with resident evil 5's graphics, and with a much more moody and engrossing level design and atmosphere

Honestly, I put in RE5 after I did 1k this game in just a week and the graphics still looks amazing. Even better than RE ORC. When Sheva walks down the village. HOT!

shit story? well im only about half way through, but the story does take back seat to the action. there is a story there however, and fans of re2 and 3 will probably appreciate it more.

...then go full way through...I have every single copy of RE and I'm a huge fan of the series BUT THIS...so sad. Plot holes everywhere and the cutscenes...oh my...

thoughts?

You wanted them, there you have it.

Not really...

No way, the controls in RE4 & RE5 are more comfortable IMO.The controls in RE ORC sucks cause it's too hectic all the time and therefore we need appropriate ones.

Until I took an arrow to my knee...Nahw really UNTIL YOU GET SHOT WHILE IN COVER, total crap.

2. They always running in your line of sight which sucks on higer diffculty. You can't properly shoot at enemies when they stand right in front of you.

3. They still items, pick them up before you and they use them for other things rather than to help you.

Honestly, I put in RE5 after I did 1k this game in just a week and the graphics still looks amazing. Even better than RE ORC. When Sheva walks down the village. HOT!

...then go full way through...I have every single copy of RE and I'm a huge fan of the series BUT THIS...so sad. Plot holes everywhere and the cutscenes...oh my...

Well that just about sums up my thoughts aswell. I will say though that despite its flaws I did really enjoy the game in 4 Player Co-op even if it only lasted just over 2 hours because the campaign (If you can call it that) is ridiculously short. Such a shame.

You guys are funny. I love this game.

AI is fine...poorly fine.. but they need to know on Professional to not step in front of me.

Cover works fine only thing missing is crouch.

Game was long enough for me. I like the length.

It did however not have enough elements to change the RE story. I wanted to also Kill/Spare Claire at a separate moment.

Controls are great although quick turn should not have been mapped to LB. So many time I go to switch weapons and I have my thumb on the right analog and I spin instead of pull out my gun.

The game needed a better tutorial. Most people don't know you can snap a zombies neck or quick turn. Hell at start nobody knows you can dodge. Which I like click the stick and A to dodge.

Not enough to do online but damn it's fun.

I give the game a 7. If the Spec Ops Campaign would have been part of the game and not DLC it would be an 8.

This is like my favorite RE game currently. But hey this is coming from the guy that still plays RE5 Versus legit and has fun.

No such thing as a bad RE game...Gaiden is an okay one......

Not really...

As a fast 3rd person shooter these controls work really well and like its been said i would appreciate a classic quick turn rather than my swap gun button but other than that controls work great i think

getting shot in cover is realistic - just because most other games offer it doesn't mean it wouldn't happen..yes I've been annoyed by it before but its a small part of a solid game.

1) not every game should have you as a squad leader where you command your squad, that would change the feel of the game and make people complain so much more about how they won't kill who you tell them to kill and they just go to the waypoint and stop moving and so on. You are 1/4 of a equally weighted squad and they go and kill who they wanna kill and so on.

2) every once in a while they run in front of me but they either get shot by me or run right passed...whats the big deal?

3) they steal**...and I haven't seen this at all...and anytime they pick up an anti-viral it would b to heal someone but I've put in plenty of hours and have not seen this once...and if they do steal then just get to the item first like you would in real life, if you're behind your squad mates then you're playing this game entirely wrong.

- People want smart AI but you realize that would mean they would take cover and kill all the enemies leaving you scraps to kill etc, all these types of games are to have you as the frontman killing people. only games that have that good of AI are (at times) L4D and BF3 but it will never be entirely perfect cause then you could sit in a corner and wait 10 min then run through a stage without seeing anyone

Who got this expecting a super well fleshed out story that didn't have plot holes ? we knew they were changing up the history by adding in this alternate reality story line...so many people were against this game cause of that idea, you gotta just take it for what its worth. fine story line, entertaining enough to be able to run through and shoot some bitches.

Yep, those were your opinions...just like i stated mine...and hundreds of other people will have their own that disagree with both

-Solid game, entertaining and enough lasting appeal - 7.5-8/10

its from Slant Six games so if you were expecting a RE 5.5 you have to be dumb

i couldn´t care less about the graphics, they are fine in this game (although i don´t like how some of the RE veterans look). The gameplay is good too imo and i hate 3rd person shooter normally, hell i even stopped playing gears 3 because i think its a shitty game but i got really addicted to this one.

its an amazing coop game, so much fun to play with friends. about the cutscenes. again, i couldn´t care less.

the friendly A.I. is shocking, no need to argue about that.

overall i would give it a 7/10. i still enjoy playing it.

Edited by CoregBlue1

its from Slant Six games so if you were expecting a RE 5.5 you have to be dumb.

i couldn´t care less about the graphics, they are fine in this game (although i don´t like how some of the RE veterans look). The gameplay is good too imo and i hate 3rd person shooter normally, hell i even stopped playing gears 3 because i think its a shitty game but i got really addicted to this one.

its an amazing coop game, so much fun to play with friends. about the cutscenes. again, i couldn´t care less.

the friendly A.I. is shocking, no need to argue about that.

overall i would give it a 7/10. i still enjoy playing it.

Thank you.

See people wanted an amazing RE game...even though from the start they said it's a squad shooter and Slant Six is known for bad AI. We saw this coming and people still wanted more.

When Slant Six was put behind this game nobody should have expected anything more than SOCOMish gameplay.

This game does what it set out to do. It isn't cannon so Slant Six just did what they wanted as they knew it would have no fatal error to RE.

I'll also stick with my 8/10 for this game.

- Online was great fun, it's all dependant on how you play it and what mode you play, i normally stick to Heroes mode as there's alot less of the shotgun run for the majority of the game. Only flaws really is sometimes it can be laggy and the odd person who thinks bashing the B button is hell-a-fun.

- Story wise i thought was decent, the problem is alot of people who bought it expected it to be roughly like the previous RE5, however they forget the element that this game is about Umbrellas side of the situation, baring in mind this is based before the company collapsed and Umbrella was rich, had their prime and knew exactly what to expect in comparison to the previous titles of RE2 and 3 where your character was a SURVIVOR not an operative for a vast company who created the issues.

- Story was also great on co-op and higher difficulties.

- AI was fair to say the least, they healed me when i needed, with the exception that they still played like other players with abilities being used with cool-downs also noticeable, health being shared e.g. If you need health and they need health and have a F.A.S they'll spray both of you, they provide cover fire, kill enemies, take cover, use grenades efficiently and most of all don't steal items. which can resort in a pain, they only really ever pick up items to use on team-mates a.k.a you and others, who need assistance.

- I've never had the issue of a AI player running within my line of sight unless it is within a confined space and cannot be helped, such as when fighting the 'Magma Tyrant'

- No you can't command the AI, however if you could command them it would potentially make everything easier, you'd simply use the AI as jail-bait whilst you tick off the enemies as they're never eliminated from game-play. making them meat-shields for anything. Also alot of games don't allow you to command AI, Lupo was known as the Wolfpack Squad Leader, but that doesn't mean that she 'Commands' the group, it's just normally used for in which who will be contacted by Umbrella. Hence different voices if Lupo isn't available e.g. Vector, Spectre, Beltway, Bertha, Foureyes

- Graphic were of standard, enough to compete with current games, but nothing over the top to cause multiple GUI issues, e.g. texture loading. they also gave off great effects to make the game more dark and gloom. which was the effect back in the RE2-3 Days. none of this sunshine people wanted.

- Cover system works, Cover isn't designed to make you invincible or protect you fully from enemy fire, it is designed so you can gain advantage on an enemy and sheild yourself to a certain extent, if your head is peaking over cover then the covers too small? move to different cover or attack, legs/arms visible? move into the cover rather than to the edge, the cover system is simple as you walk into it, i've never stuck during online or offline gaming and the cover system has saved my bacon on multiple occasions.

I think people just got their expectations too high and their pants in a twist when they got the game, Although i will admit the whole 'Nemesis Mode' was a kick in the teeth to be made Extra DLC to pay for.

I think people just got their expectations too high and their pants in a twist when they got the game, Although i will admit the whole 'Nemesis Mode' was a kick in the teeth to be made Extra DLC to pay for.

Personally I think some people have higher standards than others. I have fun with this game from time to time but I'll also be the first to admit that it's a steaming pile of shit from a quality standpoint. If every game was made on par with this one, quality wise, I'd quit gaming all together.

Edited by Strid

I don't really understand how this game was supposed to completely redefine zombie shoot-em-ups.

I've been following RE since '96, and this is just another stellar game in the franchise' line up. Not really going to go into too much detail, but I've been thoroughly enjoying this game, and I think a lot of people need to take the stick outta their arses.

You either love this game or you hate this game.

True

I'm not a big fan of this game, for me it's just another shooter game.

Since RE4 this title has nothing to do with the previous versions.

I miss the real RE feelings(like in RE1 or RE2) where you had to solve enigmas.

Message to all developers:

Make games more difficult we don't need 1000 similar shooting games:uzi:

I've played it and it's been fairly enjoyable, but there are sooo many things wrong with that I think it does deserve the 5/10 etc scores it's been getting.

This isn't a case of people expecting a 9/10 game and getting a 7/10 game and then bitching about it like it's a 5/10 game, the game really does disappoint on the very basics of a what a modern game should be.

• 2 months later...

This game was complete crap, even on casual it's not easy to beat without others because the AI helpers are some of the most useless pieces of crap in existence, I honestly think that the paperclip would have been more helpful in every situation. This whole game is orientated to multiplayer because, be damned if you can actually beat it with no help and the shittiest AI created since, wow i can't even think of one shittier than this.

Throw in the fact that some things don't work like they should, namely the blood frenzy, i've made a number of guys blood frenzy yet rarely do zombies divert their attention from me and my group to go after the people that they're suppose to (as that's the WHOLE point of the ability), however if i or someone on my team is blood frenzy every zombie on the planet rushes us.

as for the supposed 'solid' third person crap, in most games when you take cover, you actually have cover, and when you move out of it you're out, a number of times in this game, i would move sideways along cover and end up completely exposed but still 'in cover', i also found when moving along the side of other covers it would move me to the other face of the cover (like a square, it would move me from wall to wall) which is crap since it makes it really hard to shoot from the side instead of over the top of cover.

Not sure what about that (some of which are damn basic core components of a shooter) is solid as GoJoeThibaultGo says this game is.

Not sure how someone can compare AI shiva to these twits and say it was worse than these. shiva went to do what the objective was, these guys just shoot at anything they see, when the bother to move into battle (on one level one of the AIs just refused to move from where they spawned, including when they were forced ahead due to me moving forward in the game), they don't really go for the objectives at all. like let's say (where it shows how shitty they are) the last level, where you're suppose to blood frenzy the spec ops to get the zombies to attack them; the spec ops will fire on you and your team, does your even think of firing back; hell no. They should be firing at the spec-ops because that's the objective. on top of that they tend to split up in larger areas and go their own separate ways after different pockets of enemies, luckily there's not many of these pockets, unluckily that's usually where there's a massive amount of unending enemies or the stronger enemies are.

as for graphics, they're not the worst i've seen but they aren't quite to RE5 standards, they're close though; however after 3 years, we expect the graphics to A. get better (even if just a little bit) and B. not get worse.

The story is insignificant, the game only focuses you on killing everything around, why you're doing so is "because it's orders" not really much else.

All of the above issues shouldn't exist, the AI should be better they have the tech, they're not putting it to good use. the graphics at the minimum should be equal to RE5. sound was like the story, insignificant, i can't even remember what i heard in the game other than gun shots, zombies, and my team talking, and i just played it not even an hour ago. the story isn't fixable, this is the type of game they wanted, you're a good solider and that's all that matters type, that's what they wanted, shitty story is shitty because it was a poor idea to start with even if the concept was nice. the cover issues should have never existed in the first place let alone have to be fixed.

No matter the developer, AI still has a ways to go before being perfected. Sadly this game is plagued by a crappy AI system as well. Bertha/Harley only chooses to heal me 1/4 of the time that I -seriously- need it, or for some reason likes to heal me at the same time that I use my own health spray. When it's not that, they constantly get in the way, and it's a SERIOUS issue particularly with Professional. They love to run directly in front of your crosshairs, risking themselves, obstructing your enemy, and putting you at risk of fire by others. No matter the character, it's always the same issues, and despite the recent patches it hasn't really improved.

• 1 month later...
I don't understand why people are arguing over WHY their opinion is correct??

Its your own opinion - just because someone else thoroughly enjoys the game and you do not; does not make them wrong.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Personally, I sold this game as soon as I maxed it out. Very disappointed with it overall. Versus was fun (at times) but I got absolutely no enjoyment out of the campaigns even while playing with friends. The AI is a joke.

Edited by Buruma

• 4 months later...

I personally really enjoyed the game, I liked how it filled in the blanks of the "behind the scenes", stuff you didn't get to see or know about during the actual playing of RE2 etc.

I liked the concept of it, and the team based co-op is something I always enjoy and like to see in games, only thing better than a good campaign is a good campaign with a co-operative option!

I do however have my gripes with the game, seriously its buggy as hell. I grit my teeth everytime I get onto an Elevator, I've had elevators mid-way to the destination suddenly just fall back down and sometimes go through the floor..... yeah, I've noticed most of the time these problems only occur with people in my game who are on a bad connection or are from a part of the world that is rediculously far away the connection is too choppy.

This aside though I think the game deserved to do a bit better, however I do feel capcom churned this one out a bit half asssed with all the problems it has. I think alot of other people, and reviewers for magazines have sensed that too and it is why it got the bad reviews it did. I personally think this game is a gem, a hidden one at that which most people who enjoyed the other in the series will overlook.