Thoughts?

Barad

4 hours (give or take) played so far.

- The maps are alright.

- Scavenger mode is a dud. Just like a lot of the other modes added via DLC, it will die out quickly

- Xbow is fun. I didn't think I'd like it but it's amusing (still don't think it needs to be in Battlefield but I'll use it regardless)

(only issue right now is the SKS spamming in close quarters but I guess people are going for that assignment). It will be interesting to see what happens when people unlock the explosive bolt.

EDIT: unlocked the HE Bolt and took it into regular maps. that didn't go over well with some randoms.

Edited by tripleb2k

- I'm really enjoying the maps. They are on the smaller end, so they are fast paced and what not.

- Scavenger mode is fun, for 5-10 matches, then it's just another one of those random gametypes. Still worth trying.

- Xbow, the glory of this pack. Amazing weapon, so much fun. It is one of my favourite weapons in a game in a very very long time. Have a video with some gameplay and additional thoughts below:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-QUT9jxxKI]Battlefield 3 - Xbow (Crossbow) - Gameplay & Thoughts - Aftermath DLC - YouTube[/ame]

I absolutely love the HE Bolt. Haven't used i against vehicles yet but love it against infantry. Has little to no splash damage but when it hits, it's funny as hell to see the body explode into the air. I like scavenger but i'm bad at it. Hopefully will get better as the weeks roll by.

Crossbow is so much fun, I just run around on nosahr with it equipped, and laugh when others pick up my kit to use it!

Scavenger mode is fun, the game has a sense of evenness where not everyone is running the hailed laser beams, capping flags with just your sidearm and then scouting for a primary is actually pretty fun.

Maps, well I haven't played them all, but from the ones I played I would say they are pretty cool, the vehicles iv tried all three and they do fit in well with the maps.

This DLC is one the best next to back to karkand, if just only aftermath had more weapons to add.

Some impressions on the new maps and vehicles:

Palace is my favourite so far. Good urban map with some good vertical combat in the ruined palace. Driving vehicles through the palace hallways is pretty cool

Epicenter is also quite nice. The increased destruction from the earthquake gives it a unique feel. Lots of neat tunnels and tight alleys, and no heavy armour make this a really good infantry map

Monolith is ok, it's alot like palace but not as good. Main feature is a three story shopping mall in the center that has been cut in half. Also notable is that this is the only map with scout helis

Markets doesn't seem to appear in conquest. Overall it seems like the weakest of the four maps, it's just bleh

My main problem with the new maps has alot do earthquake theme, is that there are little edges everywhere and my character/vehicle gets caught on them constantly. It can be very frustrating to try and navigate the levels sometimes.

I thought Iranians soldiers were supposed to replace the Russians?

The new gaz and humvee aren't much different from the vanilla versions, they just swap passenger capacity with a forward facing grenade launcher. The van is more interesting. It's smaller so it can maneuver easier than the other vehicles, and it gives the driver control of a fifty cal machine gun. It's main drawback has almost no armour, so the crew is very vulnerable to small arms fire, not to mention explosives. I am kind of surprised that most people seem to be ignoring it though

Edited by Merch

Maps:

They are gorgeous. They are mazes.

I absolutely love them. There is so many places to flank and be flanked you truly have to have your head on a swivel. The desolation is beautiful, I'm wandering away from the fighting sometimes just to look around and admire it. Don't have a favourite/least favourite map yet, but so far I've enjoyed exploring them all.

Really they're combining what I like about the old school large vehicle maps and being a boots on the ground player, lots of room to move.

Conquest:

Conquest here is a fucking riot. Rush, not so much LOL!! 4-5 flag CQ though? Fuck yah. Spreads the action a bit thin in places as opposed to 3 flag CQ but if that gives me some space to work I'm not seeing a downside.

Vehicles:

Haven't played with much yet. I do dig the grenade launcher. It does decent damage to a tank, if you can sneak sneak catch a tank off guard you stand a good chance of taking it out. Even head on (driver was a bit... brazen :p) managed a few disables before getting taken out.

Scavenger:

Oddly, I'm not a fan of DOM in the close quarters maps, but am having a riot in Scavenger. Though that may change once I pick up my 200th gun but so far I'm enjoying it. Just not sure of it's staying power to keep me interested.

So far the concept of grabbing and surviving with whatever is at hand is definitely up my alley. One of the things I didn't like about DOM in close quarters was everyone running around with the shotguns or high rate of fire noob guns they use ALL THE TIME. For me it felt like a spawn-dying deathtrap and not much fun.

In Scavenger you really have to adapt, and quickly, to whatever you have on hand with attachments (or lack thereof) you may not be used to, while still being effective at capping flags. I'm really digging it.

All those guys that whore specific weapons and have never experimented with other guns... they're likely to get demolished here. There is very little comfort zone allowed. And that is fucking awesome.

And finally: The XBOW

Fucking beautiful piece of work that. I suck with it but the regular and scoped version I'm going to enjoy mastering them even if my k/d takes a massive nosedive. :woop:

So far I love the crossbow but of course if you do miss, your pretty much in trouble and died.

This^^

Rule No. 1 on the crossbow: Don't Miss. :p

Or you be screwed. I've only gotten 2 kills with it so far but digging it. Easily have died a couple dozen times when trying to use it. ;)

My only issue is the decision that it takes the place of your gadget 1 slot. I'm sure it makes sense somewhere, but for the assignments you can't work on say... example: xbow kills and heals at the same time as an assault guy. You have your medkit, OR the xbow, not both. Really I don't mind, but I would have preferred it take the place of my pistol instead. Minor gripe.

I even like looking at it. It's just pretty.

http://www.at7addak.com/data/news/2012/11/27/battlefield-3-aftermath-launch-trailer/battlefield-3-aftermath-launch-trailer-xbow.jpg

I have a quick question. I realize the BA Bolt is supposed to have less drop and be more accurate, but does it do less damage?

I noticed with the normal bolt, I would hit less often but get a kill almost every time, where as with the BA Bolt I would just get a lot of hit markers, but fewer 1-hit kills.

I haven't experienced any freezing so far.. played all day on Tuesday. And yea.. the cheevo's aren't too hard.. I only have 1 assignment left for the last achievement.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the expansion overall, no gripes!

Some dude was only playing for around 4 hours and his game froze mid game and lost all his progress that he did today, stats/progress are saved every match I thought.

I am really enjoying this DLC. Scavenger is a fun gamemode with good balance. I am really liking Conquest on the new maps, I feel the maps are good size with some intense battles. I have not played all the maps on Rush, I think, but they too are also fun. I really like the extra pathways marked by the blue doors with the small red gas tank in front of them.

I have not fooled around too much with the XBow but it is fun, I like the Scoped version with the BA Bolt. I got a 183meter headshot on a Sniper from C to Hotel California on Gulf of Oman with the first shot :)

The assignments and achievements are quite simple and can be obtained in a good long gaming session. The new vehicles are fun, I really like the 40mm Grenade Launcher. I would have to say that Aftermath might be my favorite dlc so far.

stats/progress are saved every match I thought.

It does. Even if you quit or lose connection.

i love the new maps, and scavenger is ok,

one thing i am upset about is domination..

in scavenger the maps are small and have domination flag cap times, you can also play gunmaster on aftermath maps, (which im guessing is the same size as scavenger maps) but you cant play domination :(

id love it if you could play domination, and i would enjoy playing a 'small map server' with close quarters and aftermath maps, featuring domination and team deathmatch.

Got a couple hours in last night. Really like the maps. Lots of different lines and corners to take and hide in. Lots of open area and close quarters action.

Only played Scavenger but I loved it. Fun game mode. Lots of running and gunning.

Looking forward to playing some more tonight.

It does. Even if you quit or lose connection.

Supposed to be but once in a while it doens't, kind of odd and not sure on the technical circumstances that are different. Lost connection a few times last night, once it didn't record. :confused: Sucks because I'd nabbed a fair few xbow headshots and dogtags that game :(

Got another booting chalked up later too after I'd tagged an admin, always worth it.

Supposed to be but once in a while it doens't, kind of odd and not sure on the technical circumstances that are different. Lost connection a few times last night, once it didn't record. :confused:

Must be a new thing, I have never not had my stats record except for when they messed up a patch and stats were not counting for anyone. Are you 100% positive they did not count your stats? Did you check Battlelog/BF3stats.com for a Battle Report?

Must be a new thing, I have never not had my stats record except for when they messed up a patch and stats were not counting for anyone. Are you 100% positive they did not count your stats? Did you check Battlelog/BF3stats.com for a Battle Report?

Don't think it is, it was a Talah Market Scavenger match in between two Epicentre games, that in BL are showing as back to back. I reload and update my browser after every game, and after that particular game bunked on me my knife, AR and xbow kills didn't go up. :( Wasn't in the match long but was on a good roll.

Smelly server gremlins man. Gremlins!