Can I 100% this game?

Kisushima

I've checked around and found no one with my background to answer this question.

Basically, I bought my Rock Band game which was the Beatles. AMAZING fun. I started a noobie on all instruments, but developed an affinity for the drums. Within a few months I'd FC'ed most of the songs on there but never had enough time to really go for them. I have a huge Summer coming up however, and I want to drum myself silly!

My question to you guys is bearing mind my experience, how hard is the Endless Setlist 2 on Expert with drums? Is it very doable? What are the songs I should check out? With some practice is it bearable; or does it really separate the casual players from the hardcore pros?

I'm never going to be one of these prop "FC every song" guys with very expensive kits. I just want to enjoy the music and get all the achievements. Thank you for your time, it's very much appreciated!

-Kisushima

If you can pass the final tier of songs you should okay. Songs like Panic Attack and Visions in particular. (I don't remember exactly what songs are on disc anymore, so I can't get too specific as to what to practice up on)

I will pass this along. Unless you are VERY good on drums do not try for Bladder of Steel on Expert Drums. I don't recommend doing BoS on drums at all. I did it. I was only doing it on Medium to ensure I passed them all at the end, but 6.5 hours of constant drumming wears on your hands and knee if you don't have the endurance already.

Even though you didn't ask about this, most folks find that Expert Vocals is the easiest way to get Expert ES2 done. Unless you absolutely can't find pitch in a bucket, it's generally my recommendation to do that.

Awesome advice man :). I'm definitely going to get this. I miss the endless hours I spent going for FC's on TB:RB. I have a whole summer to go for 100%, I mean they're not planning on closing the servers any time soon. That seems silly..

But thanks for the advice you gave, will try it! I'm not the greatest singer, but I can hum the right pitch and sing some less challenging ones.

Awesome advice man :). I'm definitely going to get this. I miss the endless hours I spent going for FC's on TB:RB. I have a whole summer to go for 100%, I mean they're not planning on closing the servers any time soon. That seems silly..

But thanks for the advice you gave, will try it! I'm not the greatest singer, but I can hum the right pitch and sing some less challenging ones.

Ok please tell me what in the world "FC" stands for! It's been really bugging me.

I'm surprised vocals on expert was recommended for the endless setlist. Maybe just cause I'm awful at vocals and it never seems to register the right pitch for me. I did expert bass, which was still tough as hell.

Really hard songs on drums are:

Dream Theater - Panic Attack

Judas Priest - Painkiller

Abnormality - Visions

I play expert drums as well and these songs are ridiculous. I stand no chance.

FC = Full Combo. It means you went through the entire song without breaking your multiplier. It is often incorrectly used as a synonym of "100% a song".

What he said. I was using it correctly in my post right? Like I'd FC'ed Beatles songs for funsies, because I love the Beatles. But by 100%, I meant the game in terms of achievements.

Would you, Twisted Fate, mind helping me with Multiplayer sometime :)?

Would you, Twisted Fate, mind helping me with Multiplayer sometime :)?

Can't, I have satellite internet that absolutely sucks for MP. Nothing like a 3 second satellite delay.

As for FC yes, you used it properly I just see a lot of people using FC when 100% is what they mean, i.e. they think 100% a song on Expert achievement means they have to FC it.

I don't see the difference between Full Combo-ing a song or 100%-ing it. Doesn't getting a full combo imply you hit every note? Which is what 100% means too.

No, and that is where the confusion comes from. FCing a song means you hit every note and only hit the notes written. 100% just means you hit every note that was written. To FC you MUST 100% the song, but you can 100% the song without FCing it.

Say a song has 500 notes. FCing it means you played 500 notes and hit 500 notes. 100% means you hit 500 notes, but you may have actually played 600 notes. Those extra notes will break your streak killing the FC, but won't remove the 100%.

---0---0---0---0---0  <-- Notes written
---0---0---0---0---0  <-- FC
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0  <-- 100%, but not FC

You generally don't see 100%'s without also FCing the song, but it does happen. I got an achievement for 100% a song by playing 1 note more than the song had. I hit the strum bar too early and broke the streak, but I was able to hit it again real quick so it counted the note for the song.

This also has caused confusion on the 100% a song achievements since many people think that if they don't FC it, they won't get the achievement.

Edited by TwistedFate

Thanks for the confirmation! Also, with the ES2, on Expert; urgh. I'm considering bass because Painkiller looks quite doable as it's just strumming at the right point. However Panic Attack is.. gulp.

With Expert Vox however, when I can't "sing" the song, I hum. I know that's probably cheap. But I can hold a pitch 300x better when I hum it. Have you any advice before going for it on either Vox or Bass? Or even which one I SHOULD do it on? I know you said vocals prior; but I want to be able to use my vocal chords after :p. Just some general advice and such on how to get through it.

I will be spacing it out. And I'll be doing Bladder of Steel at a separate point on either drums or bass for on medium for "fun".

Thanks for the confirmation! Also, with the ES2, on Expert; urgh. I'm considering bass because Painkiller looks quite doable as it's just strumming at the right point. However Panic Attack is.. gulp.

With Expert Vox however, when I can't "sing" the song, I hum. I know that's probably cheap. But I can hold a pitch 300x better when I hum it. Have you any advice before going for it on either Vox or Bass? Or even which one I SHOULD do it on? I know you said vocals prior; but I want to be able to use my vocal chords after :p. Just some general advice and such on how to get through it.

I will be spacing it out. And I'll be doing Bladder of Steel at a separate point on either drums or bass for on medium for "fun".

Nothing wrong with humming. Most of us resort to that at some point.

I hate to refer to you another site, but several of us already have tips here: http://www.trueachievements.com/a25895/the-bladder-of-steel-award-achievement.htm?showguides=1 Pay particular attention to the first two, by SebastianSB (with general Bladder tips at the bottom by me) and Matrarch (who has good vocal tips).

Panic Attack and Visions will be the biggies on ES2 for Bass. Visions has killed more Bladder of Steel runs than any other song (except on vocals). Don't forget if you aren't going for Bladder of Steel it's not a race. You can pause it and come back later when you are rested.

For Bladder of Steel, take breaks in the songs. Just stop playing for a few seconds. You won't lose the song, but you will save your muscles for later in the setlist when you need them.

I still think Vox is the easiest way to get Expert ES2, but I am a fair singer, and my fingers don't react fast enough for the harder songs sometimes. If you feel your fingers are better than mine (I was 39 when I did it so keep that in mind if you are significantly younger), go for the one you think is best. It really doesn't matter if you aren't doing a BoS since you can fail a few times.

Good luck! BoS is the worst achievement in the game, but it sounds like you are being smart about it, so it won't be too bad.

Nothing wrong with humming. Most of us resort to that at some point.

I hate to refer to you another site, but several of us already have tips here: http://www.trueachievements.com/a25895/the-bladder-of-steel-award-achievement.htm?showguides=1 Pay particular attention to the first two, by SebastianSB (with general Bladder tips at the bottom by me) and Matrarch (who has good vocal tips).

Panic Attack and Visions will be the biggies on ES2 for Bass. Visions has killed more Bladder of Steel runs than any other song (except on vocals). Don't forget if you aren't going for Bladder of Steel it's not a race. You can pause it and come back later when you are rested.

For Bladder of Steel, take breaks in the songs. Just stop playing for a few seconds. You won't lose the song, but you will save your muscles for later in the setlist when you need them.

I still think Vox is the easiest way to get Expert ES2, but I am a fair singer, and my fingers don't react fast enough for the harder songs sometimes. If you feel your fingers are better than mine (I was 39 when I did it so keep that in mind if you are significantly younger), go for the one you think is best. It really doesn't matter if you aren't doing a BoS since you can fail a few times.

Good luck! BoS is the worst achievement in the game, but it sounds like you are being smart about it, so it won't be too bad.

Phew! I feel less cheap. The link was VERY helpful. Lots of helpful hints and tips. I've decided to go Vox with a friend doing Expert Bass. Risky! But.. My hard songs are his easy and vice versa. So we're hoping we can help each other there. He can clear all expert songs on Bass and I have the odd one I lose so together we should be able to bat through it smoothly.

My 17 year old fingers probably are a bit nimbler I would hope; but again, the above plan is our first few attempts. As for BoS, going for a simple (Ha!) medium on drums. I'll borrow my friends plug in kit and like you said on the other site, start early in the morning snacking on berries and water. I hope I don't have to resort to peeing in a bucket. I REALLY don't.

I hope to get the Platinum achievement first. This is because this one is a much TRUER test of skill; and after achieving it I'd have MUCH more motivation for BoS :).

Phew! I feel less cheap. The link was VERY helpful. Lots of helpful hints and tips. I've decided to go Vox with a friend doing Expert Bass. Risky! But.. My hard songs are his easy and vice versa. So we're hoping we can help each other there. He can clear all expert songs on Bass and I have the odd one I lose so together we should be able to bat through it smoothly.

My 17 year old fingers probably are a bit nimbler I would hope; but again, the above plan is our first few attempts. As for BoS, going for a simple (Ha!) medium on drums. I'll borrow my friends plug in kit and like you said on the other site, start early in the morning snacking on berries and water. I hope I don't have to resort to peeing in a bucket. I REALLY don't.

I hope to get the Platinum achievement first. This is because this one is a much TRUER test of skill; and after achieving it I'd have MUCH more motivation for BoS :).

Good luck! I did it on expert using bass, and I think it took me 5-7 attempts to beat Visions on expert. That song was ridiculous. I actually took a break for like an hour to eat and came back to beat it.

I actually just did Bladder of Steel this past weekend on medium drums. It was really easy. Visions was the only song that was a little hairy but I still didn't fall below 2/3 on the meter. Also, I used a wireless drumset. The batteries last plenty long, and I didn't have to worry about the cord accidentally coming out and getting screwed. My recommendations are:

1) Do it first thing in the morning

2) Take a morning piss or whatever suits you, then don't eat or drink anything all morning while doing it. I woke up, pissed, then played a few songs to practice, then the endless list. So I probably played for 7 1/2 hours straight, and when I was done I still didn't have to go to the bathroom. Guess I have a bladder of steel...

3) Find something really comfortable to sit on. My ass was killing me when I was done. Damn office chair. My legs and wrists weren't tired at all. I actually alternated between my left leg and right leg for the bass pedal, just to be safe that one didn't tire out. I normally use my right leg. I switched every 14 songs. I did left leg for 14, then right leg for 14. It works out that I did the last 14 songs with my right leg, since they're the hardest songs and that's my strongest leg.

4) After "trying" for the first 40 songs, I decided it wasn't worth it, and all I cared about was passing. So what I did was, hit the notes to build overdrive, and just never activate it. That way I got constant breaks in the song to rest. It was especially helpful in the metal songs at the end so that if you get off rhythm, you have the fill to rest and regain your rhythm.

5) I turned my cell phone off and locked the doors to my house so I wouldn't accidentally get interrupted or distracted, but that might be overkill haha

Good luck!

Edited by Necrophage33

Good luck! I did it on expert using bass, and I think it took me 5-7 attempts to beat Visions on expert. That song was ridiculous. I actually took a break for like an hour to eat and came back to beat it.

I actually just did Bladder of Steel this past weekend on medium drums. It was really easy. Visions was the only song that was a little hairy but I still didn't fall below 2/3 on the meter. Also, I used a wireless drumset. The batteries last plenty long, and I didn't have to worry about the cord accidentally coming out and getting screwed. My recommendations are:

1) Do it first thing in the morning

2) Take a morning piss or whatever suits you, then don't eat or drink anything all morning while doing it. I woke up, pissed, then played a few songs to practice, then the endless list. So I probably played for 7 1/2 hours straight, and when I was done I still didn't have to go to the bathroom. Guess I have a bladder of steel...

3) Find something really comfortable to sit on. My ass was killing me when I was done. Damn office chair. My legs and wrists weren't tired at all. I actually alternated between my left leg and right leg for the bass pedal, just to be safe that one didn't tire out. I normally use my right leg. I switched every 14 songs. I did left leg for 14, then right leg for 14. It works out that I did the last 14 songs with my right leg, since they're the hardest songs and that's my strongest leg.

4) After "trying" for the first 40 songs, I decided it wasn't worth it, and all I cared about was passing. So what I did was, hit the notes to build overdrive, and just never activate it. That way I got constant breaks in the song to rest. It was especially helpful in the metal songs at the end so that if you get off rhythm, you have the fill to rest and regain your rhythm.

5) I turned my cell phone off and locked the doors to my house so I wouldn't accidentally get interrupted or distracted, but that might be overkill haha

Good luck!

First of all, I just have to say. Of all the forums I've inhabited whilst playing, the Rock Band 2 forum has been by far one of if not the most helpful. It's greatly appreciated!

Anyway, thanks for the tips dude. I'll definitely be doing it in the morning. I just want to get Platinum Artist out of the way first. For that, I truly think Bass is the way to go. PURELY because some of the Vocals tracks I cannot always complete on Expert because I don't know the song. It's fine for some things; but not others.

In terms of the bass, I see enemies:

Panic Attack. This seems the worst, but the bits that scare me are the very tappy (I'm being so technical here) parts. BUT, there seems a very obvious pattern and people on Youtube seem to hold down the green button; which means It's like a strum every second then correct finger tapping. I'll take that any day! The rest of it seems like sensible, rhythmic strumming.

Painkiller. This actually looks simple with practice. It's simple rhythmic strumming again, but seems to fluctuate from 8 beats a bar to 16. Or w/e it was. Either way it's just strumming speed.

I realise I'm being naive as I say it's only these I have to worry about; because essentially it's probably doing them last what kills everyone. Any Platinum bassists out there got any more pitfalls for me to work on?

EDIT: Just saw Visions on Expert. I crapped myself a little and I need my mum. OH my..

DOUBLE EDIT: Just attempted PainKIller expert bass. Passed it first go with 93%. It was on no concern really. What I thought and didn't even dip in the red zone. That makes me relieved.

However took me a second attempt to get to 70% on Panic Attack. The Organ Solo is such a killer. WIll have to save most if not all Overdrive for this part. Gulp.

Edited by Kisushima