Poison Oak Treatments/Cures/Methods?

So I have poison oak, I think.

I have it on my right wrist, left ankle, and right ankle. Right ankle is the worst. It looks like a purple reddish bruise. I can't see any bite marks, and neither were my dad and girlfriend.

I went to the doctor and was prescribed a cream called "Clobetasol Propionate", whatever the hell that is. Use twice a day, no more.

Before that, I used a cream called Triamcinolone, which got rid of my previous poison oak last summer. It said discard 3/12, so it either expired and is useless, or I just need a few more doses.

I'm using the first cream only, as that is the most recent.

I was wondering if anyone had any for sure cures or methods of ridding it, or any products I can buy at REI, Walmart, Target, wherever, that can help prevent poison oak from happening. I heard someone say that there's a product you can pour just a bit into your clothes when you wash them to help, but I can't recall the name. I think it was "tetra" but I'm probably wrong.

It's not that bothersome, except when my girlfriend and friends are over, because I don't want them to get any of it. Any help would be appreciated, and I'm sure any help will help others prevent getting them or having quick treatments/hints. Thanks.

Poison Oak is essentially just super-powered poison ivy. Take antihistamines to reduce the swelling, drown it in calamine lotion, and when you shower scrub the hell out of it (it'll be painful, but it'll get a lot of oozy bad stuff out). Aside from that, you've just got to wait it out.

That's my plan for this morning. Take pills, rub with calamine lotion, use rough and soft towels, then use the powerful cream my doctor recommended. Apparently the cream can thin skin out, so that's a concern I have.

I work a lot in tall grasses, blackberry bushes, poison oak obviously, ridding the invasive plants on this preservation.

Even the heavy boots, long gaiters, long sleeve, gloves, didn't help.

I was told that poison oak does not show up right away on everyone, and that it builds up, so when it does decide to show up, it'll be worse depending how much you came into contact with over time. It is the opposite of building tolerance for, like taking drugs and having to increase the dosage to have it effective.

Time for a chemical bath.

I think there is some type of medicine you can take along with using cream but I forget what it's called and I'm not sure if it works for poison oak. I know someone that had poison sumac last year that was told to take that and I think I know someone that had poison ivy that has to take it as well.

Anyhow, definitely apply tons of the cream and if you are worried about other people possibly getting it, do you best to always keep it covered with something. I hope it gets better soon and that you don't have it too bad!

1 - How am I supposed to help when a company gets ruined by Microsoft?

2 - Salt and vinegar was the first thing I tried

3- I don't know what poison sumac is, but if you remember, that'd be great, if not, my problem is fading away

4 - Jewelweed, might have to look it up and find some products for use everyday, if it sounds good

I don't scratch it. The first time I got it, I kept scratching and it eventually covered my torso, front and back. Sadly, the cream I got from dad has not worked as well as I hoped it would. First time I used it, it was gone in a few days.

I told my girlfriend I took a twenty dollar bill and rubbed it on my infected areas, then bought some food with that money. I crumpled it into a ball so the guy would touch it more and be more exposed to it. She hates when I say stuff like that. She's good-hearted and all that crap. I didn't do that though. It's a pain to deal with.

3- I don't know what poison sumac is, but if you remember, that'd be great, if not, my problem is fading away

Poison sumac is kind of like poison ivy, but it's definitely much worse. I remember my mom had it and it spread all over. It got so bad her face actually looked deformed for a while from it D: You could probably ask your doctor about the medicine if you really need it, but as I said I'm not sure if it would work for that. Good to hear the problem is fading away by the way! :)

Poison sumac is kind of like poison ivy, but it's definitely much worse. I remember my mom had it and it spread all over. It got so bad her face actually looked deformed for a while from it D: You could probably ask your doctor about the medicine if you really need it, but as I said I'm not sure if it would work for that. Good to hear the problem is fading away by the way! :)

That's crazy. I always wash my hands first before I touch my face, no matter what. I already got a certain cream from my doctor though. Said if it didn't look better by Monday at the latest, come back for the pills.

5 more weeks for this job, then it's over. There's a good chance they'll keep me on, so I hope I get a new area to work at where there isn't so much poison oak, tall grasses and stuff.

That's crazy. I always wash my hands first before I touch my face, no matter what. I already got a certain cream from my doctor though. Said if it didn't look better by Monday at the latest, come back for the pills.

5 more weeks for this job, then it's over. There's a good chance they'll keep me on, so I hope I get a new area to work at where there isn't so much poison oak, tall grasses and stuff.

Yeah, my mom did too but it turned out she was highly allergic to it so it just spread like crazy :/ I remember she had it for a month or two as well so it was pretty awful x.x The cream should help a lot though!

That's good to hear! Hopefully it goes away soon and you get moved to an area with not a lot of poison oak!