your thoughts on single player games with a dash of multiplayer

demonizer_andy

I honestly can't stand it when MP is added to a game that should be purely SP campaign. I was put off instantly when the announced MP for Tomb Raider.

Developers get to excited about MP nowadays and add it without truly thinking about how it will impact the quality of the game. So much time and resources must be put into it that it spoils a lot of games. I still believe Mass Effect 3's bad ending was partly a result of putting time into MP instead of concentrating efforts on bringing the story to a proper conclusion.

As for MP achievements... Get rid entirely. The end.

HAHA nice troll

But no seriously. Looks like everyone is pretty damn upset.

Guess I'm trolling then, as I'm glad they included MP. I'll try it, and if I like it ill continue playing it and enjoying it. If I dont like it, ill then make a decision as to whether I grind out the achievements, or I just dont play it.

So many people complain about MP achievements, but most of the time thats for one of two reasons :

a) Your not good enough to earn them legit

b) Your not good enough to earn them legit

Put MP achievements in, and dont make them easy to obtain. Then I can try to do something and actually achieve something, that others cant. Seems like this TR has done that, so im happy. I'll be proud of my 1000g, while a lot of people obviously wont attain it.

Daft thing is, your all slating the shit out of something youve not even tried.

You know, you might, dare I say this, like it.

Edited by Lavindathar

You means to have just one achievement (Defender) out of the whole game that is MP only, so you have to play their MP or buy an Apple iPhone? no thanks. Dead Space 2 is way better, it doesn't have MP achievements so you are not forced to play MP if you don't want to.

Apple Iphone :confused: I have no idea what you are on about.

You don't have to play the MP for this either.

I personally dislike multi-player modes that are tacked on just for the sake of having a form of MP. The online usually dies four or five months after the game is released, and then it becomes wasted money and resources that could have been used to better the single player experience.

That's not to say that all of the tacked on online modes are terrible, but those gems are few and far between.

To be quite frank, I'm just about done with all forms of MP anyway. I simply don't engage with it at all anymore. The community (in general) is just packed with rude, annoying and largely unpleasant people and it's been a very long time since I've had a decent experience online.

I agree. I used to love talking to and playing with random people online, but now I try to stay away from it all.

Apple Iphone :confused: I have no idea what you are on about.

You don't have to play the MP for this either.

On Mass Effect 3 there was a multiplayer achievement called Defender. However, this could also be earnt by utilising an app that was released on IoS for Iphones and Ipads.

So technically, you didnt have to play multiplayer to earn it. You could use the app.

It seems people are more pissed off about MP achievements than the MP itself:confused: I cancelled my preorder simply because of the inclusion of the MP. The fact that MP has never been in a Tomb Raider game before means that a large amount of time and resources would have been spent planning/building it. If it turns out there is still a lengthy/riveting SP experience then I may change my mind and buy it. (Probably won't touch the MP:p)

They had a secondary studio develop the multiplayer, a studio that would have had no part of the single player development had they not been working on the multiplayer.

So many people say that "single player" games don't need multiplayer, but unfortunately sales figures are proving everything you guys are saying wrong. Single player games just don't generally sell as well as multiplayer games. It is simple fact. No matter how good/bad a game is, on paper, multiplayer = replay value = higher sales.

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the multiplayer from this game was developed because of the direction they went for the SP and they realized they could actually support a working MP from it, not the other way around, which in this case is perfectly acceptable. They have even said, we aren't sure how well it is going to work out, but we wanted to try it. Sounds reasonable to me. I agree that adding achievements for it is kind of mean/stupid, but to say they are "forcing" you to play the multiplayer? Grow up. You will play it if you want the points, or have an unfinished game on your card if you don't, but passing on what could be the first GOTY contender (and looking like a strong one from reviews) because of the achievement list? Pretty extreme, considering you don't HAVE to play games on your main profile, and can still play good looking games for fun.

For my general response to the topic, fine by me, even if the multiplayer sucks ass, as long as they didn't sacrifice thier single player in development, which most don't, which is why it usually sucks.

Edited by Midnight Malice

Multiplayer in most games is pretty fun, so yeah, I'm happy with that decision.

You will not be happy with this decision until you play the MP... it's the worst MP that I have played in my entire life! Graphics are washed out, awful control + you have to prestige nearly 4 times... blehh.

You will not be happy with this decision until you play the MP... it's the worst MP that I have played in my entire life! Graphics are washed out, awful control + you have to prestige nearly 4 times... blehh.

Then you haven't played ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES MP...

The MP mode of this game is not as bad as it seems.

So many people complain about MP achievements, but most of the time thats for one of two reasons :

a) Your not good enough to earn them legit

b) Your not good enough to earn them legit

Put MP achievements in, and dont make them easy to obtain. Then I can try to do something and actually achieve something, that others cant. Seems like this TR has done that, so im happy. I'll be proud of my 1000g, while a lot of people obviously wont attain it.

Max out Ninja Gaiden 2 including it's DLC trials legit and i'll re think what you said about people not being good enough to earn mp achievements legitimately.

The MP achievements aren't hard except for the 2 that people are complaining about. That is the only reason everyone is angry.

In case you haven't noticed or haven't done any research on the shopaholic achievement you might want to head over to another thread and check it out?

I can try to do something and actually achieve something, that others cant???

If you get that achievement you'll have achieved NOTHING. You grinding something out. You didn't achieve anything. plain and simple. Several gamers wont obtain the 1000G because they have better things to do and other wonderful games to try. Have fun wasting 40 hours of your life playing a MP with a community that will be vacant in a month all because you think you'll achieve something.

Let me be the first to congratulate you on getting that extra 20G bro.

So many people say that "single player" games don't need multiplayer, but unfortunately sales figures are proving everything you guys are saying wrong. Single player games just don't generally sell as well as multiplayer games. It is simple fact. No matter how good/bad a game is, on paper, multiplayer = replay value = higher sales.

You do realize that Bioshock Infinite is going to debunk your theory. OH, wait.....Skyrim, Dishonored, Dragon Age already did that long ago.

If you get that achievement you'll have achieved NOTHING. You grinding something out. You didn't achieve anything. plain and simple. Several gamers wont obtain the 1000G because they have better things to do and other wonderful games to try. Have fun wasting 40 hours of your life playing a MP with a community that will be vacant in a month all because you think you'll achieve something.

Is that you did for Gears of War 2 - Seriously 2.0, not the community that will be vacant in a month part.